DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Kidani Village Rocked! Our Trip Report

It had been a long time since my wife and I took a vacation by ourselves without the kids (two girls 11&8). I felt like as we headed into our 17th year of being married it was time to reconnect and enjoy a little time to ourselves. Plus, our anniversary and my wife's birthday are 2 weeks apart (tough on the wallet) so I had to do something special.

We bought a loaded DVC contact (Saratoga) last August and made a ressie for the Tree House Villas for Aug. 09. Well, I couldn't wait that long so I had my wife ask if she could get a couple of personal days from work and do a weekend getaway.

She could, so I called Member Services that day (end of Feb.) and made a ressie at Kidani for May 1 (opening day) through May 4. I waitlisted for a Savanna view room and it came through a couple of weeks later. I was amazed I secured a reservation for the grand opening. I was also amazed that I was able to get a plane flight out of O'hare (Chicago) for $189 RT with American, but we had to fly out on April 30 to get the good fare. That meant making a ressie for one night cheap, which ended up being the Radisson in Celebration (that place is plain worn out and beds are like rocks, definitely not recommended). I was also able to rent a Dodge Charger SRX for $10 a day, which is less than the cost of stroller rental at WDW.

Finally the day arrived for us to take off. I picked up my wife right from work and off to O'hare we went. Got to the airport and noticed that our flight was taking off from gate L8, which was appropriate because it was delayed for an hour. No big deal since we had nothing planned. We ended up having a good flight down to Orlando. Once we landed we got the rental car with no wait by using the self-serve kiosk to avoid the large line of people waiting. Got to the worn out Radisson at just after midnight and went directly to sleep on the stone bed.

Up early the next day, stopped at the grocery store to pick up some goodies (wine, beer, sandwich stuff, etc) and headed over to check in. Stopped by the security gate and and got our first "Welcome Home", which brought a smile to my face. Inside AKL there are lots of signs directing one to Kidani Village which we found with no problems (just remember when outside AKL be sure to follow the signs to the Animal Kingdom as that will point you in the right direction for the Lodge).

Driving in you just sort of stumble upon Kidani village because of all the lushness of vegetation and then it's there. However, it's an unassuming building while driving up and I'm pretty sure that is exactly how they wanted it. It just blends in really well with the surroundings. It's not some big collosus that sticks out like a sore thumb... a la Bay Lake Tower. Being unassuming it makes it feel more homey and quaint. I believe "quaint" is the word they used when designing this resort.

There's a small check-in parking lot right in front of the Lobby. The drop-off area is beautifully themed and with all the lamps recessed into the wall. Here we are infront of the lobby:

Much more to come
Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Looking forward to the rest of your trip report. I agree you need to take a trip without kids once in a while. Our kids are grown and married so we're foot loose and fancy free now. We just came back from a wonderful weekend in San Diego at the Hotel Del Coronado.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
PinkTink63
DIS Veteran

I'm wondering who you went through for your rental car?

Thanks!
Hawaii & VGC 8/2011
BLT/VB/AKV-8/2010, SSR/VB/AKV-8/2009, BWV/VB/AKV-8/2008, SSR/BCV-8/2007, PP DL-8/2006, OKW/BWV-8/2005, CSR/POFQ-8/2004, DH-8/03, DH-8/02, CBR/POFQ-8/01, DH-8/99, DL/offsite-4/99
Stephanie Kelly Kyle Latte, Tinkerbell, Jasmine, and Duchess
PinkTink63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
Got to the airport and noticed that our flight was taking off from gate L8, which was appropriate because it was delayed for an hour.

Congrats on 17 years! Glad things worked out so well. Can't wait to hear more. We will be at Kidani in just 53 more days!!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTink63 View Post
I'm wondering who you went through for your rental car?

Thanks!

It was a special weekend rate through Alamo. $10 per day for a premium car.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Oh, as a tease, I have a photo that will be posted that is going to make you go
Old 05-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

It's a great beginning to a romantic story Omitting the first night's stay!Glad you got to go, looking foward to more!

Bobbi
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Continued...

Walking into the lobby the first thing you'll notice is how small it is, but it's beautifully themed. Remember, they are trying to make you feel like you are home, that the resort is "quaint". Thus making it different than Jambo. Since it was opening day for the resort, there were tons of management type people milling about welcoming everyone and making sure all was running smoothly.

Surprisingly there was no line for check-in so we stepped right up. Everything went smoothly, including the curveball I threw the castmember checking us in. If you're visiting Disney one of the things you shouldn't forget is park tickets!! Yes, I forgot my non-expiring park tickets, which I had luckily scanned into my hotmail account. So the CM set us up in a room that had internet access and I wrote down all the numbers needed to have the tickets reprinted later that evening when we went to Downtown Disney.

Since we were some of the first guests to check-in, we were presented with the gift of a Boabab tree that was hand crafted in South Africa. A very nice souvineer indeed.

We headed off to our room, which was located in the Timon 5, building and our first encounter with the parking garage. Here's what the garage area looks like:

Manuevering into and out of the stalls can be a task, just be careful because that concrete pillar is NOT going to move.

I'm not totally sure how well the parking garage will work out, especially for those guests staying out in the Pembe Savanna areas. There were times when we came back and were unable to get a spot near our elevator. There is overflow parking outside the garage, but it's nowhere near the Pembe areas. The castmember parking lot takes up a big area nearest the lobby and is gated. This photo was taken from the parking garage:

I'm a huge Timon and Pumbaa fan, so this was cute to see our elevator was painted with Timon (name of the section we were in). Doesn't it look like Timon is saying "Welcome Home, this place rocks"?:

The halls are decorated with lots of crafts and artifacts from Africa, this is just coming out of our elevator:

A person could have a good time just looking at all the lighting fixtures used in the place. Unbelievable!! Tons of really cool lighting fixtures made from everything. As an example, here are the ones that line the halls:

More to come!!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
ekball
DIS Veteran

Hi Lugnut,

I'm sure we saw you around the resort at some point last weekend....wasn't it absolutely wonderful?! I'm so happy to see another positive review starting. I still can't believe there are people complaining about Kidani as we were just soooo pleased with everything, especially considering it was opening weekend and there is still construction going on. Honestly, I'd say it was BETTER than we expected considering those two things. Ah well - to each their own. Anxious to read more about your Kidani weekend and to compare notes.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
pjstevens
Had our DFTW Vow Renewal on the Wonder for our 25th!
Now the proud grandparents of Isabella Grace

Can't wait to read more, we'll be there tomorrow and I'm so excited!!!
Our First Trip HOME (May 09) DFTW VR (Sept 08) Christmas 2007 August 2007
Off-site 1992; off-site 1999 (w/o the kids) off-site 2000; All Star Movies 2005; Pop 2006; Pop Aug-2007; All Star Music suites Dec 2007; DFTW – DCL – Pop 2008; Pop – Jan 2009; AKV – May 2009; Grand Californian Aug 2009; BWV – Jan 2010; AKV Dec 2010; AKV – Jan 2011; Disney Dream/AKV Sep 2011; Dec 2011 AKV; Magic-Canada June 2012; Fantasy-Eastern Carribean December 2012; SSR August 2013; Wonder-Alaska June 2014
pjstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
marvali
DIS Veteran

Loving all the pics and your TR lugnut. Amazed at the artwork and detail even in the hallways. Glad we planned to take this upcoming trip slower and easier so we can enjoy all Kidani has to offer. I think I need to get another memory card for the camera to keep up with all the pictures I'm sure to take.

Keep 'em coming!!!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
BuzzSaw
Earning My Ears

Congratulations on your "alone" trip. We have kids the same age as yours, maybe the wife and I will try to sneak away to WDW without the kids for a few days - must have been nice. Great pics by the way.

05/00 - Tree House Villas
01/01 - Boardwalk Villas
10/02 - Beach Club Villas
12/03 - Boardwalk Villas
08/04 - Beach Club Villas
11/05 - Boardwalk Villas
06/06 - Beach Club Villas
08/08 - Polynesian + Boardwalk Villas
BuzzSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
Tara
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
It's not some big collosus that sticks out like a sore thumb... a la Bay Lake Tower.
Colossus? Sore thumb? My home this is!

</yoda>

Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #14
murcor
All you need is faith and trust...and a little pixie dust

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

AKV is not my home but I cant wait to try it out sometime The pics are great and glad you had a good time!

me & dh dd 14 ds 13
Abby Winston Gilbert

murcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #15
J&JAKV08
Mouseketeer

Loving your TR!!! Can't wait to read more and see more pictures!! Also really love that deal you got on the car!! Wonderful!!

J&JAKV08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: