Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Melissa79
Mouseketeer

12/6-12/14/08 at Wilderness Lodge - Our 1st DVC Experience

Well, this is my first attempt at a trip report. I've read many others and thought I'd give it a shot this time around. The plan was to start this when I got home from Disney back in December but, things didn't go as planned. I was really busy right after vacation at work and then with Christmas so I thought for sure I'd be starting the trip report in January. Well, I had a couple of months of extreme tiredness and wasn't feeling well...I'm pregnant with our first baby! Finally I have more energy and I have time to write this report!

We spent December 6-14th at the Wilderness Lodge Villas, our very first trip as DVC members! My husband and I bought into the DVC in 2007, we bought resale because we really wanted to own at the Wilderness Lodge.
We invited my parents along for our first DVC experience and we got a two bedroom villa.

So I should really do an introduction...
First, we have me (Melissa) and my husband (Nick).

We are both 30 years old (we were both still 29 during our vacation). I'm a cash accountant and Nick is an overnight manager. We live in the South Shore of Massachusetts - actually we are 1/2 way between Boston and Cape Cod. We're just a few towns over from Plymouth...you know, where the pilgrims landed. I've been to Disney 6 times including this trip - all since 2001. Nick has been to Disney enough that he isn't sure on the exact number, he believes it to be around 15 times.

Next, we have my parents Bob and Sue.

Mom is a housewife and dad is a clock maker, I know - who makes clocks these days? I must say though that it is quite an art and he is talented! Anyway, before this trip they had only been to Disney once before and that was 2006, with us of course!

~Dec 08 TR~ Never finished because pregnancy got in the way! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2167550
Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
onejellyshelly
Mouseketeer

I am on board! How was DVC?
09/09~POP
10/08~Movies

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Melissa79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejellyshelly View Post
I am on board! How was DVC?
Hi! Thanks for joining me!! We loved DVC, our first experience couldn't have been better!

~Dec 08 TR~ Never finished because pregnancy got in the way! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2167550
Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Hi!
I saw your link on LCAEMoms TR and thought I would join you!! I was there the same time (12/7-14) and we're neighbors!! I actually live in Plymouth!! Looking forward to reading some more....and can't wait to hear more about DVC, it's our dream!!

Congrats on your baby!!! Motherhood is a wonderful thing....best wishes for you!! And glad to hear you're getting your energy back, when are you due?

Looking forward to hearing more!!
Kristen
Old 05-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Lcaemom
DIS Veteran

Hi Melissa

Of course, I'm interested in your TR...looking so forward to reading all your details. Your picture of the GF is beautiful!!! Was that part of a photoshoot...or did your parents take it? That came out great! Is the picture of your parents taken at WLV? I'm not sure that I knew you were DVC members back when we were planning our trips...but, how nice that you bought into WL with the resale. I'll have to chat with you soon about that...STILL considering BCV and WLV...just can't officially say yes!?! The girls are begging to go back AGAIN...and it certainly wouldn't take much to get me to say yes...I even have a PIN sitting in an email right now, that I still need to call about. But, after three trips, DVC would be almost paid for, almost in full!
TR: Our first family of 6 trip, including a proposal on 12/12/12 at 12:12 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post46997114
PTR: Our first family of 6 Christmas Vacation Dec 2012!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3015456
Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
Melissa79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
Hi!
I saw your link on LCAEMoms TR and thought I would join you!! I was there the same time (12/7-14) and we're neighbors!! I actually live in Plymouth!! Looking forward to reading some more....and can't wait to hear more about DVC, it's our dream!!

Congrats on your baby!!! Motherhood is a wonderful thing....best wishes for you!! And glad to hear you're getting your energy back, when are you due?

Looking forward to hearing more!!
Kristen
Hi! Thanks for checking out my report! Funny that you were there the same week as me, wasn't it a great week to be in Disney?! Yay we are neighbors! The baby is due September 30th so I'm about 19 weeks now...we are really excited. I hope you get to join DVC too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcaemom View Post
Hi Melissa

Of course, I'm interested in your TR...looking so forward to reading all your details. Your picture of the GF is beautiful!!! Was that part of a photoshoot...or did your parents take it? That came out great! Is the picture of your parents taken at WLV? I'm not sure that I knew you were DVC members back when we were planning our trips...but, how nice that you bought into WL with the resale. I'll have to chat with you soon about that...STILL considering BCV and WLV...just can't officially say yes!?! The girls are begging to go back AGAIN...and it certainly wouldn't take much to get me to say yes...I even have a PIN sitting in an email right now, that I still need to call about. But, after three trips, DVC would be almost paid for, almost in full!
Hello I'm so excited to have you over here! The pic at the GF was taken by my dad, it's one of my favorites now! You are right, the one of my parents was taken at the WLV. Yeah, we bought into DVC because we were spending a lot on our vacations and thought it would pay for itself pretty quickly, especially buying resale. I can answer some questions for you on that if you've got any! Can't wait to hear if you book anything when you call about that PIN!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
MEK
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to your TR. DH and I are new DVC members too. We visited around the same time you were there, but stayed only 4 nights (SSR). This was our first solo trip without kids! We are staying at AKL this June with the whole family.

Congrats on your baby! 19 weeks is a great time. You feel good...almost like normal. When I was 19 weeks pregnant with my first son I traveled to New Zealand. Still can't believe I did that

Looking forward to ready more!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Melissa79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Looking forward to your TR. DH and I are new DVC members too. We visited around the same time you were there, but stayed only 4 nights (SSR). This was our first solo trip without kids! We are staying at AKL this June with the whole family.

Congrats on your baby! 19 weeks is a great time. You feel good...almost like normal. When I was 19 weeks pregnant with my first son I traveled to New Zealand. Still can't believe I did that
Welcome! Another new DVC member! You must have had a great time on your solo trip in Dec. June is coming pretty soon, you must be getting excited for your trip! I started to feel better around 16 weeks...and I'm trying not to think about how I'll feel about two months from now!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
Melissa79
Mouseketeer

We had decided to ask my parents if they would like to join us on our trip to Disney so we asked them in the beginning of Jan 08. I thought maybe they would take a few days to answer but they said yes right then and there. I was planning on telling them they could think about it for a few weeks if they wanted to. I'm not sure we got the whole question out before they said yes.

Because we wanted to stay at the Wilderness Lodge Villas and that is our home resort, we could book 11 months out which is exactly what I planned to do. So, the day came in January that I could call to book and I was planning on driving home on my lunch break to call Disney since I live less than 10 minutes from work. I don't like to make personal phone calls from work - everyone can hear your business, and I think every time I did it in the past, one of the VPs suddenly needed me and they didn't leave my desk until I was off the phone. Of course this day in January ended up being a snowstorm kind of day so I couldn't drive home to make my call, it would have taken too long and the roads were bad. So, what does a girl determined to make reservations do? I made my way out across the huge parking lot in the crazy snow to sit in my freezing car so that I could make my call.

This was my first call to member services and I wasn't sure exactly how my banking and borrowing of points was going to go. There was NO waiting on hold and I spoke to a really nice guy who explained everything. Before I knew it I had booked a two bedroom villa at the WL Dec 6-13! No problems...I just had to walk back through the storm to get back to work.

Sometime in Feb to early March we decided to look at the prices of the flights just to keep an eye on them. Nick found nonstop flights through Delta at a really good price (can't remember now how much they were) but it was one of the better prices Nick had ever paid. So, we booked our flights several months before we had planned, yay one more thing done!

In March Nick kept saying that he would like to add on another day to our vacation and make it 8 nights. We both had taken an extra day off from work at the end of our vacation and my mom doesn't work and my dad works for himself so they could stay another day with no problems too. But we didn't mention it to my parents and we kind of let it drop. On my birthday in March I came home from work and Nick surprised me by telling me that he had added that extra day and we would be staying 8 nights! He took care of everything even changing the flights...which if you know Nick, you know he doesn't make phone calls...ever. I was so surprised!

I made our dinner reservations 6 months out and got everything that we wanted except for Le Cellier in Canada, we still have not gotten a chance to try that one. We were so excited because we had some new (to us) restaurants on our itinerary.

The rest of our 11 month countdown went by without too much going on - we already had our flights and dinners booked. There was of course lots of Disney talk and we really were counting down the days. I think my parents may have been more excited than Nick and I and I wasn't sure that was possible. Everytime I spoke to my dad he told me how many days we had left.

If anyone wants to check it out, here is a link to our video that I made from our 2007 vacation to the Grand Floridian. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w_H9k3gBfc If you watch it in high quality it looks a little better.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
Lcaemom
DIS Veteran

Great update Melissa!!! That DVC booking sounds too easy...you're really making me consider the pro side of my ongoing DVC debate. It is so interesting to read someone else's experience...who went at the same time, to and from the same place. I didn't find any flights on Delta...that were reasonable...the nonstop flights on Delta were all over $800pp, until the fall of 08...when they finally dropped...from Boston. Didn't you fly out RI?
I remember calling about ADRs...my whole trip was planned around my CRT lunch...thinking that would be my hardest ressie, I called and ended up having my pick of the whole week. Once that was booked, I called back to book the rest and started with LeCellier...I started asking about each day starting with the 7th and everyday was booked until we got to the 13th...lunch at 1pm. We were 20 minutes early for it...and ended up waiting an hour to be seated! That was way harder to get and deal with than CRT!!! Hopefully, on your next trip?!? When is your next trip?!? Any pending before the baby???
TR: Our first family of 6 trip, including a proposal on 12/12/12 at 12:12 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post46997114
PTR: Our first family of 6 Christmas Vacation Dec 2012!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3015456
Old 05-05-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Congrats on becoming DVC members! We were there in December too, right after you guys were (we stayed at the Beach Club Villas!). I can't wait to hear more about your trip, we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas for the first time in August!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
MEK
DIS Veteran

I've also had pretty painless experiences calling member services and booking vacations. I think their customer service is really great. I've only booked three trips so far, but each has involved several calls and changes. They are beyond nice.

I think it is so great that your Dad was so excited about the trip. Your parents will probably be coming on alot of your future trips. You are lucky to have them as your future Disney babysitters!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
Melissa79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcaemom View Post
I didn't find any flights on Delta...that were reasonable...the nonstop flights on Delta were all over $800pp, until the fall of 08...when they finally dropped...from Boston. Didn't you fly out RI?
Hopefully, on your next trip?!? When is your next trip?!? Any pending before the baby???
We flew Delta nonstop out of Logan, we must have found the tickets on the right day - I asked Nick and he said we paid $250 per ticket. I don't know when our next trip will be, maybe Dec 2010? By then the baby would be just over a year. Maybe we'll get to try Le Cellier next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Congrats on becoming DVC members! We were there in December too, right after you guys were (we stayed at the Beach Club Villas!). I can't wait to hear more about your trip, we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas for the first time in August!
Hi, thanks for joining in! How were the Beach Club Villas? We'd like to try them sometime, and I'd really like to stay at the Boardwalk Villas. I bet you'll like the Wilderness Lodge Villas, it is so nice and quiet there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I think it is so great that your Dad was so excited about the trip. Your parents will probably be coming on alot of your future trips. You are lucky to have them as your future Disney babysitters!
Funny that you said my parents will be our future Disney babysitters because my dad said last weekend that they'll have to come along because we will need babysitters. I'm sure they'll be joining us in the future, they love Disney and I'm sure it'll be a blast to see their grandchild enjoying it.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I'm in! DH and I will be going with our parents around those same dates this year (the 4th-14th) so I'm eager to read about your experience.

And congrats on the little one! September 30th will be here before you know it!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 05-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
Melissa79
Mouseketeer

Friday 12/5/08 Night before vacation

I always enjoy the night before we leave because once I'm out of work I'm officially on vacation...love that feeling!

Since Nick works nights, he was officially on vacation Friday morning even before I left for work. My day went as usual, I worked until 5:00 and was home by about 5:15. After dinner I did some cleaning, I have to vacuum the house before we go because I can't stand coming home to anything other than a clean house. I called my parents to make sure they were ready for the morning and my mom says that she hurt her back. What? Mom has some back trouble but it had been great for months and she managed to slip a disk (I think that was what happened) while packing for this trip that they have been looking forward to for 11 months! Uh oh. Hopefully some sleep and meds would make it feel a bit better. Plus she was going to Disney in the morning, she was too excited to be worried about that.

I was busy in the evening doing last minute things like charging the camera, video camera, and cell phones, and of course finishing the packing and organizing of the suitcases and carryon.
Here are the suitcases as I was nearing the finish.

The plan was to go to bed around 9:00 because we had to be up at 3:00AM the next morning. I don't think I finished with everything until after 10:00 and I believe we got to bed between 10:30 and 11:00, I was going to be tired in the morning but thats ok because we're going to Disney!

Last edited by Melissa79; 05-05-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: