Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
ashpinoza
disneyland VET!

economical trip, and hotels?

well im looking for a economically friendly trip. we are flying and the cost isnt too bad, and the car isnt to bad either if we book it as a package on a travel site. which also brings up, what would you all recommend as the best travel site? i like priceline but does anyone have any better recommendations, and also i think i am leaning towards ramada maingate hotel, i have looked at several and this one looks to be a pretty nice place and budget friendly, i am wondering does anyone have personal experiences with it? or if there are ANY budget friendly nice hotels you would like to recommend throw it in and ill check it out! thanks

ashpinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
kc10family
Fly Chick

first.. when are you going? That will assist with your replies.

I have done many things to make it "economical" over the past years, but it depends on you and your family on wht one thinks is "economical". (that was not ment to sound rude)

Here is a link to hotels in the area.. love this guy for putting it together.
I would take a look at each hotel for the dates you are going and see if that is what you want.
May people stay further away from the maingate for $$ reasons and don't mind the shuttles. I for one do not care for the shuttles because I would rather walk and be able to do as I please when I please and not wait for a shuttle.

I like a few hotels on Harbor and found the Desert Inn and Suites to be a favorite however we are checking out the Ramada maingate this trip (June). I have yet to find a hotel I would NEVER stay at again on Harbor as of now.

Ref- other "economical" things we do? (now mind you we drive so we can bring a lot of thing)
-We bring our own "specials" like the light up things for at night
-Bring snacks and water
-bring in PB&J for the kids
-have brought in a subway sandwich (cut it up and did not put it in the subway wrap)
-morning coffe
-treats like candy etc you can get from your hotel store

I guess it comes down to, what are you willing or not willing to do.

I do hope this was a bit of help.
kc10family is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Saskiwi
Mouseketeer

We just visited DL from New Zealand - the flight costs thousands of dollars plus our dollar is only worth about 50c US, which made most things about twice as expensive as at home so we were seriously budgeting during our visit! Some things that worked for us:
Eat breakfast in your hotel room most days - we stayed at Hojo's which doesn't provide breakfast so we brought our own milk, cereal bowls and spoons - if you stay somewhere that offers free breakfast, use it!
DL doesn't mind you bringing your own food into the park (within reason) - we made sandwiches most days, took water bottles and other snacks, packed in an insulated backpack. Worked really well and saved us $$$$.
Check out restaurants near DL where you might like to dine while staying (there's a good Disney dining thread sticky on this forum) and get coupons: Mimi's has a great deal if you join their e-club, as does Rainforest Cafe, Denny's and various others.
Disney souvenirs: visit the Disney Outlet Store in Anaheim for discounted Disney stuff - most of it a lot cheaper than in official Disney stores.
Hope those help - have fun!
Saskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Lakewood
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpinoza View Post
well im looking for a economically friendly trip. we are flying and the cost isnt too bad, and the car isnt to bad either if we book it as a package on a travel site. which also brings up, what would you all recommend as the best travel site? i like priceline but does anyone have any better recommendations, and also i think i am leaning towards ramada maingate hotel, i have looked at several and this one looks to be a pretty nice place and budget friendly, i am wondering does anyone have personal experiences with it? or if there are ANY budget friendly nice hotels you would like to recommend throw it in and ill check it out! thanks
There is a KOA on Harbor, if you guys camp you could probally save some cash. You could then send the camping equipment back home for future use.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
LavenderPeach
Didn't understand how you could go sideways and not fall out
Don't tempt me with stuff like that!

We stayed at the Super 8 which was cheaper than any of the other places we looked at. It's not as close to DLR as some of the other places but it was still walkable. Now, I don't know if I would consider it a nice hotel but it wasn't a complete dump either. I did have some issues with it (hair dryer didn't work, clock kept blinking, rude employee and no fridge even though we reserved one) but if you really want a budget hotel, you might want to look into it. I think it was about $50/night during spring break time. They also have a free breakfast. It was donuts and a couple types of cereal. I brought my own cheerios and used their milk and bowls and spoons.
LavenderPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

I think someone else thought they posted a link for you but it isn't showing up. Check out these links for hotel maps/info:

http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/D...ndLinkMap.html

http://www.accommodationsneardisney....nd/default.asp

Fairfield Inn gets good reviews.
Years ago when I was on a budget, I stayed at Anaheim Plaza Inn and Suites. It wasn't bad. If room rates were outrageous anywhere else, I would stay there again considering it's just a place to sleep. They had a great Olympic sized pool and outdoor jacuzzi. Towels were at the pool. Quite a few people here have since posted they would stay there again. You can get rooms from $49-99 a night depending on the season and if it's busy. If you're just looking for a place to sleep that's clean, I think Anaheim Plaza Inn might work.
Check out Tripadvisor.com for reviews of all the different area motels/hotels.
DisneySuiteFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
avalon451
Errrr... what?

I can sure appreciate the need to be economical-- we're not going back any time soon!

Do you need to have a car? I mean, are you getting one of those Citypasses that has several attractions on it like Seaworld and San Diego Zoo, and Universal Studios on it as well as DL... because then yeah, you need a car... but if you're just doing DL, you don't really need one.

I love HoJo, especially if we can get the Entertainment book rate of $59-$79 a night. If you can get the rate, it's the nicest hotel on Harbor for that price, and it's 7 minutes' walk to the gates. They have a great pool and a water play area for the kids-- rooms are large and very comfy. Here's the link with the Ent rate dates: http://www.hojoanaheim.com/phpbb/vie....php?f=13&t=14 Even if your dates aren't listed, they often add more dates in as it gets closer, if they're not booked up (usually weekdays).

You might want to double check on whether you can get a better deal by booking everything separately rather than booking a package through an agency. Sometimes you can save hundreds of dollars booking separately. Price it all out.

Good luck, and have fun!

avalon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
kc10family
Fly Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneySuiteFreak View Post
I think someone else thought they posted a link for you but it isn't showing up. Check out these links for hotel maps/info:

http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/D...ndLinkMap.html

http://www.accommodationsneardisney....nd/default.asp

Fairfield Inn gets good reviews.
Years ago when I was on a budget, I stayed at Anaheim Plaza Inn and Suites. It wasn't bad. If room rates were outrageous anywhere else, I would stay there again considering it's just a place to sleep. They had a great Olympic sized pool and outdoor jacuzzi. Towels were at the pool. Quite a few people here have since posted they would stay there again. You can get rooms from $49-99 a night depending on the season and if it's busy. If you're just looking for a place to sleep that's clean, I think Anaheim Plaza Inn might work.
Check out Tripadvisor.com for reviews of all the different area motels/hotels.
Thank you for posting the link, I gues my copy paste did not work. I like the other map you have as well, I will need to bookmark that.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
DangerMouse
Dangerously Addicted to Disneyland
I guess they saw me coming at full throttle and decided I meant business
I'm in a bit of an evil mood today

I'd also recommend the Anaheim Plaza for a clean, close-by, budget hotel.

DLR trips: 3/98 (Stovalls); 12/99 (Islander); 12/02 (DI); 12/03 (DI); 12/04 (Portofino); 4/05 (HoJo); 6/05 (GCH); 9/05 (HoJo); 12/05 (HoJo); 2/06 (DLH); 1/07 (HoJo); 11/07 (HoJo); 2/08 (HoJo); 4/08 (HoJo); 6/08 (Ramada Ltd.); 10/08 (PPH); 3/09 (HoJo & Club 33 Baybee!); 2/10 (HoJo); 12/11 (HoJo/DLH)
WDW Trips: 4/11 (SSR Villas) 1/13 (POR)
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc10family View Post
Thank you for posting the link, I gues my copy paste did not work. I like the other map you have as well, I will need to bookmark that.
No problem!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Tammylynn
New trip in the works! Disneyland 4/29 - 5/3

We got the expedia sale rate of $49 for the Quality Inn, which is about 20 feet further from the main gates as HoJo. Before we left, I had some serious buyer's remorse because I'd heard nothing positive about Quality Inn before we left.

It was not bad at all. The rooms *are* tiny, older, and the hotel is a bit noisy being so close to the freeway, but we didn't mind one bit! Again, it depends on what is most important to you. The room was clean enough, but there were some signs of its age such as old fixtures, carpet stains, and outdoor hallways. But there's a micro and fridge, which we didn't even have in the $300 room at the GCH!

If you are renting a car and don't plan to walk to the resort, Hotwire is nice because you can specify how many children you are bringing (and they'll guarantee the beds). Betterbidding.com Orange County Forum will give you a good idea of what hotels you might get when you bid.

If you are walking, I'd say the best bet is 1) Entertainment rate at Howard Johnson (http://www.hojoanaheim.com/phpbb/vie....php?f=13&t=14) 2)Quality Inn at a lower rate or, 3) bidding on a hotwire room and using the shuttle service.

Tammylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
bluegrizzlies1
The crab was there and then it was gone
We did it once and loved it

check jet blue vacation deals
2012 March
2011 Feb, July
2010 March, June
2009 Oct, May
2008 Oct, May, March
2007 Dec, Aug
bluegrizzlies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
pomlover
Mouseketeer

yeah it's amazing how many hotels don't have microwaves and minifridges nowadays even though they are expensive.

pomlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomlover View Post
yeah it's amazing how many hotels don't have microwaves and minifridges nowadays even though they are expensive.
If a microwave is really important to you and your budget, you could consider buying a cheapie one from Walmart or something like it. I've bought cheap small ones from Walmart for less than $25 (for work, not at DL, but I'm sure they are probably comparably priced). That's less than the price of one Character meal. Then give it away when you're done, do like a microwave swap where people just keep passing it on, or leave it in the hotel with a note for the maid that she can have it. That's what I would do if budget were important and I really needed a microwave. A minifridge, well that's another story...I've heard of people buying the cheap foam type coolers and putting all their drinks, sandwich fixings, etc., in it w/ ice. It's a good enough solution for a few days, and you just replenish the ice as needed. It would probably hold more than a minifridge anyway. Most hotels fridges are the size of a small square cubby hole.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
kc10family
Fly Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomlover View Post
DD#2 needs meds every day so we always have to have a fridge to keep the meds in.
This is a must, so we dont even make a reservation if no fridge is offered.

I know some time we will need to figure it out because one of these days we will stay onsite again and I think they have a few for rent... not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneySuiteFreak View Post
If a microwave is really important to you and your budget, you could consider buying a cheapie one from Walmart or something like it. I've bought cheap small ones from Walmart for less than $25 (for work, not at DL, but I'm sure they are probably comparably priced). That's less than the price of one Character meal. Then give it away when you're done, do like a microwave swap where people just keep passing it on, or leave it in the hotel with a note for the maid that she can have it. That's what I would do if budget were important and I really needed a microwave. A minifridge, well that's another story...I've heard of people buying the cheap foam type coolers and putting all their drinks, sandwich fixings, etc., in it w/ ice. It's a good enough solution for a few days, and you just replenish the ice as needed. It would probably hold more than a minifridge anyway. Most hotels fridges are the size of a small square cubby hole.
I think this is a great idea.
They have a walmart not but 5 minutes up the highway (can't remember the exit) and it is a SUPER WALMART AND (did I say AND) it has a very very large section of Disney stuff.. last time I was there I bought all our Tinkerbell gifts and more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: