Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

One big (blended) happy (sometimes) family PreTrip June 09 *new updates* pg 8 6/11

So - we are going to Disney. A whole week at the parks (thanks to 4/3). We'll be there 6/20 - 6/27 and being floridians, we aren't too worried about the heat.

Why our title? Well - we are a blended family. We took 2 established families and stuck them on the the mix cycle and here's what we have
Steve - 34 Industrial Welder
Me (Dee) - 31 IT Project Manager
Catherine - 7 (will be 8 in April) Guitar playing, lap swimming cheerleader
Jack - 7 (will be 8 in Sept) Football playing, skateboard riding kung fu master
Emma - 4 (as of next week) All out all the time what-in-the-world-will-she-get-into-next princess

We get along - SOMETIMES. Our kids are beautiful and they do love eachother but being newly blended we have our moments.

In this pre-trip I will introduce you to our background (before & after meeting eachother). Then we'll dive into... PLANNING THIS TRIP!!!! I am so excited - I have a draft ready but am SO waiting for park hrs to finalize it.

Celebrations for this trip 6/21 MY BIRTHDAY and.. Steve, Jack & Emma have never DONE DISNEY. We all did MK for a day in Nov. Jack went to MK 4 yrs ago and Steve hasn't been since Grad Night. While Cat and I DO DISNEY very often... doing it with everyone.... is very exciting.

Next up: A little about Catherine & I

Last edited by catherines_mama; 06-11-2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 02-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

One big (blended) happy (sometimes) family PreTrip June09 - Update 5/4 Pg 6

Okay... before I bore you with our family history... I need to discuss something.. WHERE TO STAY????

I am a little paniced over this. I'm a POP-lover BIG time. My next favorite resort is POR (mansions). Neither could accomodate connecting rooms. I don't mind the All-Stars and I am all about saving a few hundred dollars, the only option was ASMovies - Preferred. No problem.

But lately I've been reading the Resort board (bad bad bad) and have seen some very bad reviews on the state of ASMo. I'm sure it's in need of refurb but it cannot be THAT bad.

I called today in hopes to one of my preferred resorts would open up... no luck. PHOOEY.

So today, right now.. that is my worry. It's not huge, I'm not one to stay in an unpleasant room, I'll request a change etc, but with 3 little kids and the need for connecting rooms, we're not that easy to accomodate.

Okay... back to our regularly scheduled report.

Last edited by catherines_mama; 05-04-2009 at 09:36 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

As promised a little about Catherine and I.

I grew up in Lakeland (about 30 min away), so Disney/MK was a staple in my childhood. Every summer we'd go at least twice as family or friends would come to visit. Back then it was just MK so we'd load up, go spend the day and come back home.

After college I stayed in NC where my Mom then lived. When I was 24 I had my beautiful daughter Catherine and since day 1, we've been a great team. Just before Cat turned 3 (SHE WAS FREE) we traveled to Disney for a full week vacation - her 1st ever trip to Disney, and my 1st stay on-site doing the entire WDW experience. I was HOOKED! There is nothing like embracing all that is Disney and its magic. After that I didn't fail to find excuses to go back, even if just for a weekend on the way to or back from visiting friends and family. Here I was a single mom trecking 9 hrs each way twice a year.

In April 07 my best friend, who moved to FL in 01, was going through a divorce and suggested maybe I move back to FL and help her through. Heck, I traveled to FL so much each year, why not! My mother was actually suprised it took me so long to decide to move back. So I sold our house, packed up the Penske and as soon as Cat was on summer break we drove (yes, just all 5ft of me) our Penske to FL where our new adventure began.

Andrea did great through her divorce, she didn't need me, but it was great to be here, and the best thing I'd ever done. Sept 07 I met STEVE. He's a rough next, hard working, wonderful single father. Through his divorce, he obtained primary custody of his 2 great kids.

As much as I love them, Catherine and I still have mouse in our blood. We kept up our weekend here and there trips when we could, continued to build amazing memories, but eventually I realized it was not what it could be.. I had to do Disney with our family....

Last edited by catherines_mama; 02-17-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

Okay.. so I added some pics.. that's who we are - aren't we a cute little family I sure think we are!

After a year of dating, Steve and I moved in together and a few months later, while watching the Bucs lose to the Chargers (won't miss you Garcia) Steve got serious and proposed - no big jumbo tron (thank goodness) or anything but... Sept 5, 2009!!!

A bit about Steve... After yrs of traveling the world as a Marine brat he decided to join the Navy (the Marine MPs knew him too well and wouldn't let him join LOL - he was brat what can you say). After the Navy he moved to FL where his folks had relocated after Dad retired. A few years after being a beach bum, bartending etc.. he married Megan, settled down, became a welder and... had 2 beautiful kids (Jack & Emma). FFWD a few years and you have yourself a wonderful single father with primary custody of his 2 kiddos. Steve is a big kid in a 34 yr old man's body. He loves to BMX, Skate board and insists that my dog is his. So what - he loves you more.. I RESCUED HIM!!! Damn dog!

So that's us...
Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

Time for the PLAN

Time for some DISNEY PLANNING

Based on last year's hours and EMH and May's schedule... I've come up with this plan.

Arrival Day (6/20)
Swim / DTD
Dinner @ TREX

Day 1 (6/21)
EMH @ Epcot
Breakfast @ Akershus
Dinner @ Ohana's
Wishes! from the beach (MY BIRTHDAY)

Day 2 (6/22)
EMH @ MGM
That is really all I got... I need to think more about this day. It's almost too early for a half day/rest day so we'll see.
It's PM EMH at AK (I think) but I don't want the 1st time to AK for my family to be PM EMH. Hmm Maybe do MK this night...

Day 3 (6/23)
EMH @ MK
Mid-day resort swim / rest
PM EMH @ Epcot / Illuminations

Day 4 (6/24)
EMH @ AK
Stay for Parade (if we can)
Resort / eat / change
MK for nighttime shows (Spectro & Wishes!)

Day 5 (6/25)
MGM
mid-day swim / rest
Back to MGM for Fantasmic

Day 6 (6/26)
Breakfast at Crystal Palace
MK
swim/rest
PM - ????

Day 7 (6/27)
NO IDEA!! I think this should be a "whatever the kids want to do" day

*Thoughts?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Hi! I just stumbled across your report and it seems great so far! You have a beautiful family, all the kids are so cute!! Congrats on the proposal and upcoming wedding! Can't wait to hear more!!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

Okay, so the countdown clock is ticking away... and I am just WAITING for park hours to come out. Let's get a little off topic... I am CRAZY today. LIke totally lost my head crazy.

Steve has been out of work for a month - typical end of job layoff. We're waiting for 3/16 for the next one to start up, but he got a call about another job he's looking into.

SO - he's been home and taking care of the kids in the morning - OH I love that! So this job... he had to go into St. Pete to get certified to weld tubes (really, he tried to explain it to me at 4am but I cannot tell you ANYTHING he said). So I have to get the kids up and out this morning. Oy Vey, I'm rusty, it's been a month. Luckily I have to be at work early, so I just get them up and to his parents. THEY take them to school - THANK YOU!!

But in the rush... I forgot the dog! The mutt had a vet appt and I was supposed to drop him on my way to work. Oopsy! Sorry E. He'll go tomorrow I guess. But geesh! I'm usually more together then that.

Are park hours out yet????
Old 02-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

LOL!!! What a start to the day....try and have a good one and maybe have some caffeine!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
HeatherBelle614
Always wishing on a star!

Just found ya and subbied!

What a beautiful family! I was a nanny during undergrad for a blended family; those kids are still like my own (were both involved in our wedding last summer.) They were such a loving, caring, and inspiring family! I'm sure yours is the same!

I'm so jealous your park hours will be out soon! I have a ways to wait and I'm already a ball of nerves because of it! What?? No 180 days in advance ADRs either? I about had a nervous breakdown when our CM ressie told me that! I hate waiting!

Working on a fantastic dream now; new ticker to come soon!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

OMG ---- PARK HOURS CAME OUT!!!! I'm so excited. The night they came out I curled up on the couch with the laptop and ran through tons of different plans. Steve was watching TV and I kept saying "babe, babe.. what do you think of ....?" "or how about....?" He is like "honey, do whatever you want, I know it will be great". So - here is what I ended up with.

PLEASE chirp in and tell me what you think.

SAT - arrive, play at hotel, swim, bed early
SUN - EMH @ Epcot, late breakfast at 10am in Norway - Don't ask me to spell that place. Dinner @ Ohana's, followed by Wishes! on the beach - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME & Father's day to Steve.
MON - MK all day until we're tired. Hotel/Pool
Dinner @ TREX / DTD and shopping
TUES - EMH @ MK / MGM for dinner @ 50s & Fantasmic
WED - EMH @ AK / Break / MK in the PM / Wishes & Spectro
THUR - MGM / Nothing else planned
FRI - MK / Break/ Epcot for Illuminations (maybe dinner @ LeCellier)

Thoughts.. be honest!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Yay for the hours being out!!!!

I think your plans sound great and a nice pace, too! Love your ideas for meals, too, yum!! Especially Le Celliar, that was our fav our last trip. Tuesday sounds like a long day to me, but my kiddos are younger than yours and I'm tired right now, so maybe that is why? lol!!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
Hi! I just stumbled across your report and it seems great so far! You have a beautiful family, all the kids are so cute!! Congrats on the proposal and upcoming wedding! Can't wait to hear more!!
Oh THANK YOU!!! I'm so excited that I have followers! I will try to not let you down! My life isn't THAT fun, but I often can't stop laughing at myself - its that or go insane with these people!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherBelle614 View Post
Just found ya and subbied!

What a beautiful family! I was a nanny during undergrad for a blended family; those kids are still like my own (were both involved in our wedding last summer.) They were such a loving, caring, and inspiring family! I'm sure yours is the same!

I'm so jealous your park hours will be out soon! I have a ways to wait and I'm already a ball of nerves because of it! What?? No 180 days in advance ADRs either? I about had a nervous breakdown when our CM ressie told me that! I hate waiting!
THANK YOU! We are just in the beginning of building this family and we definetly have our challenges but chip away some of our bad days and you have beautiful / amazing kids. (LOL I'll post a pic from our day at MK in Nov one day - you can just SEE the love )
Old 03-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
DisneyGal74
Earning My Ears

We will be there June 21-28th. First let me say that dinner at Ohana's and then the fireworks on the beach is GREAT!!! We just got back from the Poly (thanks to 4/3) and our fav. thing was fireworks/light pagent on the beach!! I love that you left the "down" time in there..It helps when you have more than one child, and they are CRANKY!! LOL..Nice job on your plans, and nice family! Counting down the days till June!!!:yay:
[1989 ~ FWCG, 1992 ~ Off Site, 2000 ~ Royal Plaza Hotel, 2002 & 2004 Marriott DisneyLand, 2006 ~ Marriott World Center, 2007 ~ DisneyLand Hotel, 2007 ~ AKL (Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween Party), 2008 ~ SSR (Jun/July), 2008 ~ SSR (November..Very Merry Christmas Party), 2009 ~ (Feb)Polynesian 2009~(Jun/July)BCV 2009~(Nov.MVMCP)OKW. 2010~(April) SSR (Dec) AKV
DVC Member since 2008!
Me DH DD(10) DD(6) DD (due 9/10) DPups (Ella) (Remy)
Old 03-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

Oh My Gosh!!! Take my Mom-of-the-Year award away... I forgot to celebrate with ya'll.

It's been a long weekend. I've been SICK - self induced - too much fun Saturday night but still - NOT FUN. Steve and I put the kids to bed and had a "date" on our patio. We threw darts and listened to music and had a great time - too much fun for me. LOL

So anyway -
EMMA TURNED 4!!!! She is so beautiful! I've known her since she was 2 and she was so little and so quiet. She's so big now and beautiful and such a sweet little girl! She's FOUR!!!! Last weekend she was with her mother so we decided to do her bday the Friday night before her birthday. Steve's folks came over, we did pizza and cupcakes. We got her a big-girl bike! Hated not having her for her birthday, but her mommy took her to Chuck-E-Cheese and she said she had a great time.

Anyway - had to share that with ya'll. (and change my siggie)

4 more weeks and need to change Catherine's too. Big girl will be 8!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
Tuesday sounds like a long day to me, but my kiddos are younger than yours and I'm tired right now, so maybe that is why? lol!!
I am hoping to fit a nap in there. We have Thurs for MGM too (btw: i refuse to call it DHS - I grew up with it as MGM - I went on a class field trip to watch the Mickey Mouse club getting tapped at MGM - It is MGM darnit).

SO i think we might just do dinner & Fantasmic Tues night and allow us to rest some... Hmmm.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: