Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #196
EDuke98080
Have a Magical Day!
Survived the 'Sweet Baby Jesus" drive

Location: Western MA home of the Big Y, the Big E and cider donuts

The cakes are awesome! What talent you have! Thanks for sharing them. I am so sorry for the financial difficulties that people are experiencing these days. It is such a hard time for many. Glad you booked that trip, sometimes ithelps to have something to look forward to. Hope everyone has a good sleep and pain free day tomorrow.

Treehouse Villas, Dec 11/Jan 12, Treehouse Villas Dec 10/Jan 11, SSR Dec 09/Jan 10, SSR Dec 08/Jan 09, Wonder 3 Night Jan 08, SSR Dec 07/Jan 08, Grand Californian June 2007, SSR March 2007, Omni Dec 06/Jan 07, SSR March 2005, Beach Club / 3 Night Cruise March 2004, Hilton Head Island Easter 2003, Boardwalk Villas March 2002, Boardwalk Villas March 2001

DVC Member 2000
EDuke98080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #197
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDuke98080 View Post
The cakes are awesome! What talent you have! Thanks for sharing them. I am so sorry for the financial difficulties that people are experiencing these days. It is such a hard time for many. Glad you booked that trip, sometimes ithelps to have something to look forward to. Hope everyone has a good sleep and pain free day tomorrow.
Thanks for the complement , you too brighteyes! I always see all the flaws. My husband thinks I'm crazy when I say they are "ok". They were yummy. It was my DMIL chocolate cake recipe which everyone always insists on but it crumbs up when you frost it. Because these two cakes were 3D it meant they took 4 lbs of frosting each decorate!!! Major sugar rush. I had to scrape off some of the frosting so my kids wouldn't be going nuts for the week.

Alas the fun was not meant to last. At 11pm Sunday we heard a loud crash and then our two "supposedly sleeping" kids running down the stairs. My DS decided he wanted to reach something and climbed his 4 ft high bookcase. When the shelves came crashing down he was left with a 10inx8inch scrape on his chest/abdomen and he caught the corner of the bookcase with his left side full force. Needless to say we packed everyone up and rushed to the closest children's hospital an hour away. Our hospital here stinks I actually filed a complaint against them just before my DD was born and within a month the state had sanctioned them! Their children's unit primarily medivacs to the children's hospital anyway and our insurance says the local hospital is out of network soo...off we went. I worked med/surg for ten years so I wasn't worried too much but he definitely needed to be checked out before morning. He is fine. very lucky though. It would have been much worse if we didn't have all bookcases and chests straped to our walls! He has a very high pain threshold so he was even doing gymnastics today! I however needed to sleep all day today to makeup for the disruption. Luckily that seems to have done the trick!

Ahh the adventures of parenthood!Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Sending pain free vibes and pixie dust to all

tiggspring is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #198
EDuke98080
Have a Magical Day!

Just checking in with my fibro buddies..... how are all of you faring this week? It's cold in MA and I'm feeling it!

Stay warm and pain free!

Treehouse Villas, Dec 11/Jan 12, Treehouse Villas Dec 10/Jan 11, SSR Dec 09/Jan 10, SSR Dec 08/Jan 09, Wonder 3 Night Jan 08, SSR Dec 07/Jan 08, Grand Californian June 2007, SSR March 2007, Omni Dec 06/Jan 07, SSR March 2005, Beach Club / 3 Night Cruise March 2004, Hilton Head Island Easter 2003, Boardwalk Villas March 2002, Boardwalk Villas March 2001

DVC Member 2000
Old 10-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #199
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Last edited by Tinker'n'Fun; 12-22-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #200
EDuke98080
Have a Magical Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
Just checking in also. Went for my monthly Drs. visit and he put me on a new sleeping med. Not sure what it is yet since he forgot to give me the script and they had to call it in. Its not a narcotic, so I am assuming it is an antidepressant with sleepiness as a side effect...

All else looked okay and he gave me an antibiotic for sinuses and refilled all other drugs.

I am going away for the weekend to college shop with my daughter, hopefully it won't be too much, except we are looking in NYC and that never means an easy trip with shopping and all.
Hope your sinuses feel better. I found college visits exhausting when my daughter was looking. Too much to absorb. We went to NYU to look and Fordham. The little shops around NYU were fun to poke around in. I hope you enjoy the weekend and the time with your daughter too. I chuckled when my email showed a new post - I thought I was the only one still awake. Time to shut off the light and try to sleep.

DVC Member 2000
Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #201
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

Well I am still awake. I really try not to be at this time of night, but due to my DS being sick all weekend with the flu and my biggest migraine ever today, I am still doing homework

I am panicking actually. Friday I have a big exam worth 30 % of my mark and I don't get the material. it's too much to absorb. And I have an event for my student volunteer tomorrow night which means studying all night tomorrow night.

It's nights like this that I wonder why I am doing this???

brighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #202
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Hello everyone--woke up with a flare and pain all over. Then the dog's leash got wrapped around my feet and the next thing I knew I was on the floor!

Now I am really beginning to feel the effects of the fall . . . .but the GOOD NEWS is I'm going to Disneyland! And the Mickey's Trick or Treat Party tonight--even if I have to crawl to get there!

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #203
ireland_nicole
No brainer- the fairy wins it
Personally, I'm an on site girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggspring View Post
It's me again. Made it through another birthday. Today was a beautiful day. We went to a local festiville then had Katies party. Here is the cake you asked me to share. ireland_nicole how did yourr cakes come out? Please post some pix!

Great job on the cake! Here's the wedding cake from last weekend; the bride didn't want traditional, so we made hand dipped cake bites (over 400 of them). There were 4 flavors; Mojito w/ white chocolate, Orange chocolate with dark chocolate, Amaretto w/ milk chocolate, and CocoLoco (coconut cake w/ chocolate buttercream) covered also in milk chocolate. Without further ado:

I forgot to take pics of the birthday cake, but we have another order tonight, so hopefully I'll get pics of that.

Quote:
Thanks for the complement , you too brighteyes! I always see all the flaws. My husband thinks I'm crazy when I say they are "ok". They were yummy. It was my DMIL chocolate cake recipe which everyone always insists on but it crumbs up when you frost it. Because these two cakes were 3D it meant they took 4 lbs of frosting each decorate!!! Major sugar rush. I had to scrape off some of the frosting so my kids wouldn't be going nuts for the week.

Alas the fun was not meant to last. At 11pm Sunday we heard a loud crash and then our two "supposedly sleeping" kids running down the stairs. My DS decided he wanted to reach something and climbed his 4 ft high bookcase. When the shelves came crashing down he was left with a 10inx8inch scrape on his chest/abdomen and he caught the corner of the bookcase with his left side full force. Needless to say we packed everyone up and rushed to the closest children's hospital an hour away. Our hospital here stinks I actually filed a complaint against them just before my DD was born and within a month the state had sanctioned them! Their children's unit primarily medivacs to the children's hospital anyway and our insurance says the local hospital is out of network soo...off we went. I worked med/surg for ten years so I wasn't worried too much but he definitely needed to be checked out before morning. He is fine. very lucky though. It would have been much worse if we didn't have all bookcases and chests straped to our walls! He has a very high pain threshold so he was even doing gymnastics today! I however needed to sleep all day today to makeup for the disruption. Luckily that seems to have done the trick!

Ahh the adventures of parenthood!Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Sending pain free vibes and pixie dust to all
Do you put your cake in the fridge before you frost it? That should help with the crumbiness. Also, if you put a real thin "crumb coat" first and then refrigerate again it helps. So sorry to hear about your DS, thank goodness he's ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
Hello everyone--woke up with a flare and pain all over. Then the dog's leash got wrapped around my feet and the next thing I knew I was on the floor!

Now I am really beginning to feel the effects of the fall . . . .but the GOOD NEWS is I'm going to Disneyland! And the Mickey's Trick or Treat Party tonight--even if I have to crawl to get there!
Oh no; I sure hope you feel better tonight; maybe you can get an ECV and wear fairy wings with a sign that your pixie dust ran out before you landed.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #204
stampin_fool
Mouseketeer

Hi Ladies,

I haven't been on here since this thread started and have just read through the whole thing. I didn't see this mentioned so I thought I would share with all of you about the new medication I was put on about three weeks ago by a rheumatologist. After my visit with him we had a long talk and I told him that I really didn't want to try Lyrica because of weight gain issues and that it hadn't been around for very long. He mentioned another medication that had been successful for people called Gabapentin. Apparently this has been around for a long time and was originally used to treat seizure patients but more recently used on Fibro patients to help with the nerve pain. He said that it would cause some fatigue (which is already a problem for me) and that he would start me out at the lowest dose possible and that I should follow up with my regular doc to adjust the medication as needed (this could be done every two to three weeks until the right dose is found). Well I have to say that last week, before our trip to Disney, I was pain free for several days!!!! The combo of Davacet, Gabapentin, and Cymbalta (one pill every other day) seemed to work pretty well.

Right now I am not pain free but I know that is my own fault as we took a short trip to Disney (me, my youngest special needs son, diagnosed with autism when he was 3, my other son who is 21 and his girlfriend). My oldest did most of the pushing of the stroller but was in a big rush around the park eventho I tried to explain to him that this was not good for me. I am sure that the excitement was just to much to contain as I have turned him into a Disney freak like myself, LOL! So for the last two days I have been really paying for my fun but do feel somewhat better today than I did yest.

Sorry to go on so long! Just thought I would share the medication info as it might help some of you like it has helped me. I know that it is still early in taking this and I may have to up the dose eventually but I felt so good the week before we left, I was amazed at the difference!!!

BTW, the photos of the cakes are awesome!!! My son would love the storm trouper one!

I am going to try to stay up to date with this thread now that I remembered it and am caught up (even if I can't remember half of what I read, LOL)! I will also post as to whether this med keeps working or not.

Hugs to everyone and hope you all are doing well and coping with the weather changes!!!

Ronda
stampin_fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #205
tiggspring

Hi Guys I was up all night too!! but I was working on those taxes uhhg! Your good wishes must have helped because it was a few thousand less than it looked originally! We still will be making a payment about the size of our car payment for the next few years but since we just paid that off last month at least things wont be any worse than the have been.

Did sleep till 2 this afternoon. The nice thing is that for the past week or two when I sleep the bed actually feels good to be in. Usually I have two body pillows 3 regular and a wedge for under my arm and I'm still not quite comfortable. Feels good to sink into bed with little pain for a few hours.

Speeking of pain how did your day go Toochie? Here's hoping that Disney magic melted the pain away!

Stamping fool Great to see you again. I'm shying away from med's but that new one you are on is one I've never heard off so I'm really interested.

Bright eyes. Hang in there my DH feeling panicky too. Staying at a hotel for the next two days because he is 5oo pages behind and has to work on his project which is the one and only grade you get in a PHD class. Truly pass or fail at that level.

Finally Ireland_nicole . All I can Say is WOW. That's great !! See... that is why I don't make cakes for other people! My cakes are good for home but not for selling to other people. I do put the cake in the fridge and inbetween icing too. Both cakes had a lot of places where I used icing to build up an area like the entire nose area of the unicorn where a extra piece of cake would have slid right off.

Sitting by the fire soaking up the warmth and sending Painfree vibes and Pixie dust to all

Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #206
stampin_fool
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Stamping fool Great to see you again. I'm shying away from med's but that new one you are on is one I've never heard off so I'm really interested.
Tiggspring here is some more info on Gabapentin: Gabapentin is frequently used to treat various types of Neuralgia. It has been found to be effective in prevention of frequent migraine headaches,[6] neuropathic pain[7] and nystagmus,[8] and is prescribed off-label (that is, without formal regulatory agreement) for these conditions. Gabapentin is widely believed to help patients with post-operative chronic pain (usually caused by nerves that have been severed accidentally in an operation and when grown back, have reconnected incorrectly) and nerve pain associated with spinal cord injury. It may be effective in reducing pain and spasticity in multiple sclerosis.[9], and has also had success in treating certain instances of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.[10][11]

It is not uncommon for the prescription of Gabapentin to occur in a mental health context. It has been investigated as a mood-stabilizing treatment for bipolar disorder with the potential therapeutic advantage of having fewer side-effects than better established bipolar drugs such as lithium and valproic acid although numerous trials have shown that it is not effective. Gabapentin has limited usefulness in the treatment of anxiety disorders such as social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder, in treatment-resistant depression, and for insomnia.[12][13]

Additionally, Gabapentin has been prescribed to menopausal patients being treated with anti-androgenic compounds to reduce the incidence and intensity of the accompanying hot flashes[14]. It has occasionally been prescribed for treatment of idiopathic subjective tinnitus, although a double blind, randomized controlled trial has found this ineffective.[15] Gabapentin may help deepen sleep, positively affecting stage 4 sleep, and reducing arousals during the night [16].[citation needed] It could potentially be helpful for both sleep onset and sleep maintenance.[citation needed] Gabapentin is sometimes prescribed for RLS (Restless Legs Syndrome). Finally, it may be effective in treating akathisia - a rare side effect of typical antipsychotics that causes severe agitation and anxiety.

Hope this helps.

Ronda
Old 10-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #207
Beccabunny
Mouseketeer

I've been taking Gabapentin for years (brand name Neurontin). I'm not sure how much it helps with my fibromyalgia, for which it is prescribed, but it sure helps with Restless Leg Syndrome. I only take it at night, as it tends to make me dizzy. Maybe it would help more with fibro if I could take the daytime dose as well. It definitely helps me get a better night's sleep.
Beccabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #208
stampin_fool
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccabunny View Post
I've been taking Gabapentin for years (brand name Neurontin). I'm not sure how much it helps with my fibromyalgia, for which it is prescribed, but it sure helps with Restless Leg Syndrome. I only take it at night, as it tends to make me dizzy. Maybe it would help more with fibro if I could take the daytime dose as well. It definitely helps me get a better night's sleep.
I take one pill in the am and one at night. I haven't noticed any help in the area of sleep unfortunately. The doc told me it would make me sleepy but it hasn't. I also take a sleeping pill at night which used to work but hasn't been helping a whole lot lately. But if I don't take it I don't sleep at all so I guess I should be happy with the few hours of sleep a night that I do get. Not sure why I can fall asleep during the day but around 9pm I become wide awake (even if I don't nap during the day).

Ronda
Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #209
tiggspring

Ronda
I know how you feel! My Body much prefers sleeping from 3am til noon. Its like my biological clock is turned around. Alzymers patients have something called sundown syndrome. They get much more confused starting in late afternoon and stay awake most of the night. If Fibro is a brain disturbance that might explain it but who knows

As far as Gabapentin I'm going to have to look into this more. Just texted DH and he was lecturing about this drug in his diagnosis class for social workers Monday night (go figure). Maybe he didn't think of it for me because I have had strong reactions to antidepressants...he just texted me again. Gabapentin can have significant side effects when coming off (i.e. seizures). When I first went on Ativan I took it everyday and coming off it was horrible. Took me months going down a 1/4 tab at a time. That being said I now can take it as long as I don't take it everyday for more than a week or so. It stops working then anyway. DH is going to talk to Psychiatrist at work and see if it can be taking short term according to DH I shouldn't need a baseline blood level so this might work for short periods when I have significant pain at night.

I'll have to add this to the list of things to discuss with my Dr in November. I planned on asking if I can have the viral test mentioned in the NPR report. It will be nice to have something productive to talk about with the Dr. instead of the usual "i hurt, I'm tired, I cant think"

Thanks Ronda and Beccabunny for the great info

Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #210
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

WOW!! The cakes are beautiful!! Making me very hungry!! LOL!! You are very creative!!
Yes it is very cold in NE. My fibro has been acting up more so as it does with the weather. I call it my "Mary Poppins" syndrome. You know, when the wind changes. Also my migraines tend to get worse too.

I hope all of you have a pain-free week-end coming up or at least as little pain as possible. Looks like a nasty weather week-end in NE.
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: