Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #151
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

I am taking Social Services. It's a two year program, so I am in my last year. But I did an extra year before that to increase my chances of being accepted into the program.

It is not hard, cause I love the material, but it is A LOT of work. But I don't want to be a counsellor or therapist, or social worker but want to work in the school system.

I was always wanting to be working with children in some aspect. Last year I had the chance to work in a classroom with kids who had mostly behavioural issues. They were pretty high functioning kids.

I was scared away from it a few years ago because a lady who is an Educational Assistant told me she spends most of her days holding down children who are having behavioural issues. She works with a lot of children who are autistic. Then someone else told me that is not what should be happening, and that she must not be doing a good job with her kids. So that scared me off working with autistic children. I did not want to be judgmental I just didn't know anything about it.

I have since met a few children with autism and they are just kids, nothing to be scared of. I just want to learn more about it, because I know that every child on the spectrum is different.

Sorry to go on so long, I just am so excited to be done school and hopefully get a job!!! I could also work as a child/youth worker in a school.

brighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #152
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes View Post
I really hope you feel better. I know how it sucks. I just came out of a three day painful flare. Rest up if you can, and know that we are all sending pixie dust. (or LOTS of meds, if that doesn't work)
Rain does seem to have an effect on me too, does it for anyone else??

Take care, and get better sooon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggspring View Post
TLSnell1981

Hang in there TLSnell1981

Sending pain free vibes and pixie dust to all!
Thanks ya'll. It's always good to have folks who understand.... It's nice to have a support system.

Best wishes to everyone!
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #153
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

Tsnell,

are you feeling any better today?? have you tried using a heating pad?? I just went and bought an xlarge on thanx to the advice of tiggspring. what do you do when you get a bad flare to help you through the pain. Not that anything can really ease it until it lessens on it's own.

anyway, I hope you are feeling better soon. you will find me on these boards more as I procrastinate with homework.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #154
TLSnell1981

Do I have a heating pad? I have 'em in every size, shape and color! I normally have massages regularly, but I haven't had the time. DD hasn't been able to drive, so.... I'm going for a B12 tomorrow....they usually help some.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #155
EDuke98080
Have a Magical Day!
Survived the 'Sweet Baby Jesus" drive

Location: Western MA home of the Big Y, the Big E and cider donuts

Hi All! Great thread. I have had fibro for years and recently found that eliminating gluten from my diet has led to an amazing imporvement in my pain level. (Also completly eliminated the stomach aches I have had for 30+ years) One of the things I have found is that people with Celiac disease have a high rate of fibro and that improves when gluten is eliminated. worth looking into if anyone also has any gastrointestinal symptoms too.

Does anyone have any suggestions for help settling down at night to get to sleep at a decent hour?

Thanks! Erika

Treehouse Villas, Dec 11/Jan 12, Treehouse Villas Dec 10/Jan 11, SSR Dec 09/Jan 10, SSR Dec 08/Jan 09, Wonder 3 Night Jan 08, SSR Dec 07/Jan 08, Grand Californian June 2007, SSR March 2007, Omni Dec 06/Jan 07, SSR March 2005, Beach Club / 3 Night Cruise March 2004, Hilton Head Island Easter 2003, Boardwalk Villas March 2002, Boardwalk Villas March 2001

DVC Member 2000
EDuke98080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #156
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDuke98080 View Post
Hi All! Great thread. I have had fibro for years and recently found that eliminating gluten from my diet has led to an amazing imporvement in my pain level. (Also completly eliminated the stomach aches I have had for 30+ years) One of the things I have found is that people with Celiac disease have a high rate of fibro

Thanks! Erika
Hmmm....it's funny, in an odd way. I've noticed how much my diet can affect my fibro and Celiacs seem to keep coming up in conversations. Maybe, somebody's trying to tell me something? I guess, it couldn't hurt checking into it.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #157
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDuke98080 View Post
Hi

Does anyone have any suggestions for help settling down at night to get to sleep at a decent hour?

Thanks! Erika
About 30 - 40 mg of amitryptyline a few hours before bed. Before I started taking that I would only sleep for an hour at a time. Very frustrating.

But I still don't get to sleep at a decent hour, but once I do I am out like a light.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #158
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

I wish I knew of a way to sleep better--if you find one let me know~

LOL!

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #159
EDuke98080
Have a Magical Day!
Survived the 'Sweet Baby Jesus" drive

Location: Western MA home of the Big Y, the Big E and cider donuts

It is very comforting to know there are others out there like me although I don't wish this one anyone. Sometimes the pains make me so frustrated wondering if there is something else wrong? Get really tired of trying to do something like yard work or a longer walk and then to suffer for weeks after makes me feel useless. I just hate it! Ok vent over - thanks for listening It is better than it has been since they found the Celiac and the gluten is eliminated so I am lucky for that! Does anyone else own stock in Icey Hot? I never leave home without a stick of it (in a baggie as it will melt in the car). DH says I smell like a walking Icey Hot Stick EW! Als o the not sleeping thing works well for EMH at the Parks when they start at midnight LOL.

Treehouse Villas, Dec 11/Jan 12, Treehouse Villas Dec 10/Jan 11, SSR Dec 09/Jan 10, SSR Dec 08/Jan 09, Wonder 3 Night Jan 08, SSR Dec 07/Jan 08, Grand Californian June 2007, SSR March 2007, Omni Dec 06/Jan 07, SSR March 2005, Beach Club / 3 Night Cruise March 2004, Hilton Head Island Easter 2003, Boardwalk Villas March 2002, Boardwalk Villas March 2001

DVC Member 2000
EDuke98080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #160
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!

Welcome newbies! Can't make it fancy tonight since I'm posting from my phone and can't get smilies to work this way.:-(

Erika
Melatonin helps me and I lose weight! The downside is if I take it for more than a few days my leg pain is awful.Maybe becuase I sleep so soundly I don't move. I haven't taken it since May because if I take things too long they stop working. Planning to start it again soon so I can lose the weight I've gained since we returned from WDW.I crashed when we got home and gained my usual 15-20lbs!

Brighteyes glad you found the extra lg pads up there in Canada! I was wondering do you get messages etc covered in Canada? I would love to try accupunture,massage and pressure point therapy but can't afford it and last time I checked it wasn't covered by insurance.

Pain free vibes and pixie dust to all!

tiggspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #161
ireland_nicole
No brainer- the fairy wins it
Personally, I'm an on site girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggspring View Post
Hey ireland nicole just noticed your DS and DD are close in age to mine too. How long have we both been posting on this thread an I just noticed that?..Real case of DUHHHH!
ummm, that's ok, I hadn't noticed yours either, I'm in too much of a fog by the time I mosey on over here LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes View Post
I am taking Social Services. It's a two year program, so I am in my last year. But I did an extra year before that to increase my chances of being accepted into the program.

It is not hard, cause I love the material, but it is A LOT of work. But I don't want to be a counsellor or therapist, or social worker but want to work in the school system.

I was always wanting to be working with children in some aspect. Last year I had the chance to work in a classroom with kids who had mostly behavioural issues. They were pretty high functioning kids.

I was scared away from it a few years ago because a lady who is an Educational Assistant told me she spends most of her days holding down children who are having behavioural issues. She works with a lot of children who are autistic. Then someone else told me that is not what should be happening, and that she must not be doing a good job with her kids. So that scared me off working with autistic children. I did not want to be judgmental I just didn't know anything about it.

I have since met a few children with autism and they are just kids, nothing to be scared of. I just want to learn more about it, because I know that every child on the spectrum is different.

Sorry to go on so long, I just am so excited to be done school and hopefully get a job!!! I could also work as a child/youth worker in a school.
Just wanted to say, as the mom of two kiddos with special needs, one w/ ASD, I'm glad you took the time to learn more and I appreciate your positive attitude, and also I wanted to reiterate that you're absolutely right. If you've met one kid with autism, you've met one kid with autism. There are so many differences, so many variables, there's no specific course or prognosis; each kiddo really is unique, and one intervention, etc. will definitely not fit all. The great thing is that you also have the opportunity to learn so much, to be challenged to think creatively, and to connect with some really cool kids.

On a side note, after a reasonably pain reduced summer (very hot and dry; just the way I like it) we are in a sudden very sodden cold snap. If I can somehow figure out how to drag my butt up the stairs (why, oh why was I seduced by the coolness of our house= next time I really am only looking at one stories) I'm envisioning getting up close and personal with my heating pad... well, at least we know what we'll all be doing tonight LOL.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #162
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

I worked with kids for a long time, and esp. like the SBD group! Working with kids is beyond rewarding.

I take melatonin, but have never lost an ounce.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #163
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!

Indiana rose lee,
So sorry melitonin didnt help you. I'm hoping that last spring wasn't a fluke. I let you know when I go back on it and we'll see if it works this time.

Bright eyes glad thigns are so exciting DH and I just loved our days working at the Childrens Psych hospital. I got to work with every age and problem imaginable. Some days were really heart breaking. But I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!! If I hadnt gotten hurt I never would have left. Your absolutely right Indiana RL every child is different no matter what there diagnosis. It is sometimes hard for professioals to remember that!!!

tiggspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #164
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Last edited by Tinker'n'Fun; 12-22-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #165
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post

Can I join your group??

Diane.
You came to the right place. It's nice to have folks that understand what you're going through.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: