Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #16
littlewarriorsmom
Mouseketeer

Discovering Give Kids the World Village

Okay, forget unpacking ... let's go wander around the Village!

Right across from us is Matthew's Boundless Playground. I think Marenna could have been content just playing there for 5 days straight.

You know, it's 3:00 and we haven't had lunch. Let's head towards the food area.

Hmm, it's a little late for lunch, but we're hungry. Whatever should we eat?

There were two older gentlemen there waiting on us. They just exuded love. By the end of the trip, Tom and I had a theory about the older gentlemen and Wish kids ... the old men are absolutely the biggest softies. The younger people are energetic and very helpful. The older ladies are very loving and very efficient, bustling around to help everyone. But the old men are just marshmallows. You can look at them and know that if they could give their lives for any one of the Wish kids, they would.

And they love being silly.

Mmm, chocolate ice cream with chocolate fudge and whipped cream for Kaziah. Orange sherbet with chocolate fudge for Marenna. Ice cream soda for Lilyanne.

Tummies filled, on to the Castle of Miracles!

And ambling over to Amberville ...

They were training new volunteers, so we couldn't ride the carousel at first. Finally, it was time. Whoo-hoo!

We headed back "home." The kids and Tom played on the playground while Mom unpacked everything. Had to hang up all those beautiful clothes from the Big Give! And speaking of Big Give ... today, as you see, we were wearing our custom WISH shirts. All the other Wish families were madly envious and wanted to know where we got them. Stewardesses and GKTW volunteers wanted to know when MAW started making them. Nooo, we explained. These were custom made for us by some friends we've never met.

Okay everyone, back to the Villa to get cleaned up for supper. Don't you know that Christmastime's a-Coming???
Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #17
WishMom09
Mouseketeer

Loving the update! Looks like a fun afternoon! And I love your theory on the old men...to sweet! (made me cry)
So if my memory serves me so far you have had pizza for breakfast...and ice cream for lunch!
I can hardly wait to learn what's for dinner??? ha ha! I LOVE IT!
(so much for dieting while at GKTW huh??)

Question for ya...do they have hangers there or did you need to bring your own! I was wondering this last night as I began carefully folding all of our adorable BIG GIVE outfits!

Caleb's Wish Trip TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post30337247

2002 Off Site, 2009 GKTW (Caleb's Wish Trip), 2010 POR, 2012 POR

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #18
littlewarriorsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishMom09 View Post
(so much for dieting while at GKTW huh??)

Question for ya...do they have hangers there or did you need to bring your own! I was wondering this last night as I began carefully folding all of our adorable BIG GIVE outfits!
Dieting ... do NOT worry about it. I ate whatever I wanted, including hot fudge sundaes, hot pretzels, real Cokes, etc. But with all that walking, I only gained one pound. It's a LOT of walking! Either that, or maybe GKTW has magic so that nothing you eat has calories!

They have hangers in the closets. And if you need more, you can always drop in the Walmart right by GKTW.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #19
maroo
DIS Veteran

Wonderful update!! I am just loving your TR!!!

You sat in the exact table that we did at the Ice Cream place! I miss it!

And calories DEFINITELY do not count on a Wish Trip!!!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #20
Andreaswish
Mouseketeer

I am really enjoying your trip report. We are not to far off from our trip. Your kids are adorable, love the shirts. I better not show my dd your picture of the kids eating pizza for breakfast. She will definetly will want pizza for breakfast too. We have a very early flight we may have to get her a piece of pizza at our lay over.

Can not wait to read more about your trip. The villa looks nice. Keep up the good work.

Diane

Andrea's Wish Pre trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2133000/COLOR]

Andrea's Carepage www.carepages.com/andreaavinklovespugs

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/svq6euz0ub9bu206.png[/IMG]
Old 05-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #21
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

Great TR so far, can't wait to hear more.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #22
Kathiria
Earning My Ears

This is my first post to wdwinfo. I do come on alot to read trip reports. I love them. It is like being on vacation with them. We are going on our first ever Disney Vacation in September. So I do come on here alot to read experiences and the dos and don'ts. I just finished reading the pre-trip and found this thread. I am so happy that your daughter is doing well. You all deserve this wonderful trip after going through this fight with her. I am subbing to this thread so I can get the updates. I am looking forward to reading more.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #23
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathiria View Post
This is my first post to wdwinfo. I do come on alot to read trip reports. I love them. It is like being on vacation with them. We are going on our first ever Disney Vacation in September. So I do come on here alot to read experiences and the dos and don'ts. I just finished reading the pre-trip and found this thread. I am so happy that your daughter is doing well. You all deserve this wonderful trip after going through this fight with her. I am subbing to this thread so I can get the updates. I am looking forward to reading more.

to the DIS!!

I am so glad you posted! A first time poster! How cool!!!

I will also be in Disney in Sept! Can't wait!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #24
littlewarriorsmom
Mouseketeer

Haul out the holly;
Put up the tree before my spirit falls again.
Fill up the stocking,
I may be rushing things, but deck the halls again now.
For we need a little Christmas
Right this very minute

Taking the advice of someone on the Wish Disboards who warned us that the line to see Santa stacks up, we went there, first. Jackson peeked in and said, "They're not ready, Santa is sweeping." Well, no. That was a theatre volunteer who just kinda looks like Santa. The real Santa was inside the theatre. And a Jolly Santa he was! He bounced Lily and Marenna on his lap with, "You get to pick out a present! You get to pick out a present!!!"

Lily and Renn picked out Fur Real puppies, Kaziah got a Fur Real baby monkey and Jackson got a handheld video game. It was sooo hard for Marenna to decide!

After that, it was time for Christmas dinner! Back to the Gingerbread House! Turkey, dressing, and all the trimmings for us, and the kids hit the buffet -- chicken strips, spaghetti, mac and cheese, etc. (I snitched one of the chicken strips -- REALLY good! Not your average kids' chicken.)

After dinner, we went back outside for more Christmas. Oooh, cookie decorating!

Marenna will have a little cookie with her icing, thankyouverymuch.

The parade is coming! The Christmas parade!

Oooh, it's snowing and OH MY GOD, THE GINGERBREAD MAN IS EATING MARENNA! HELP! HELP!

Oh. He was just hugging her. Phew.

GKTW has a character named "Buttons." All my girls fell completely in love with Buttons. He's like a big teddy bear, come to life. I think they wanted to take him home.

Time for a horse-drawn carriage ride! Definitely take this when you go, because it gives you the opportunity to chat with other Wish families.

Next up ... a trip to the La-ti-da spa for face painting and tattoos!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #25
maroo
DIS Veteran

Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful!!!!

Seeing Santa first sounds like a GREAT tip!!!

What did Merenna pick from Santa?

That dinner looks SO GOOD!

I love Merenna's cookie - girl after my own heart!

Gingerbread man eating Merenna!

Buttons... Aw!

Loving your TR!!! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #26
WishMom09
Mouseketeer

AWESOME Christmas pictures! (I think the best I have seen!!)
LOVE the pic of the gingerbread man hugging her...too cute!
The food looks yummy! AND so do those COOKIES!! YUMM!!
I just can't wait!! 4 more days!!
And I can't wait for your next update!!! You are doing a great job!!

Caleb's Wish Trip TR

Old 05-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #27
littlewarriorsmom
Mouseketeer

Face Painting

Face painting and tattoos! Marenna and Kaziah wanted face-painting (a LOT of face painting), and Lilyanne wanted a tattoo.

They felt so special! And they each got a special GKTW purple My Little Pony for their own.

I didn't get face-painting. I should have.

During all this, the only bad moment of our time at GKTW happened. Jackson was in the main part of the Castle of Miracles, walking around. He was fiddling with the box they use to show you your star (but we didn't know what it was for). Everything else in there is some kind of toy, so he assumed it was. Well, some volunteer came over and fussed at him, enough to put him in tears. He's Mister Hyper-Responsible, so I think this really startled him. So, you might want to point out the tall wooden boxes in the Castle to your kids and let them know they're not toys.

Time to go home and rest up ... tomorrow is Magic Kingdom day!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #28
WishMom09
Mouseketeer

LOVE the spa pictures! SO sorry to hear you had a bad experience...about the box! But thanks for the warning!
I love how the tattooing looks like they are getting a real tattoo!!

Caleb's Wish Trip TR

Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #29
littlewarriorsmom
Mouseketeer

Friday morning at GKTW

First ... breakfast at the Gingerbread House! Mmm, you can do some major fueling up here. Pancakes, sausage, bacon, tons of fruit, sweet rolls, fabulous waffles, cereal, yogurt and yay, COFFEE!

I had a moment here:

See, the food at Texas Children's Hospital is uniformly awful. It's not even made there -- it's made at St. Luke's hospital the night before, then reheated the next day. Yum! Not!

When she was getting treatment with the first cancer, she was a baby and exclusively breastfeeding, so they brought me trays. The one thing I enjoyed was biscuits and gravy. Then, when we did Cancer Version 2, I'd order biscuits and gravy for her in the morning. She'd eat the biscuits with honey (one of the very few caloric things I could get her to eat) and I'd make me some toast and dip it in the gravy. Did I mention I'm on Weight Watchers now? (But not on our Wish trip.)

So, eating the biscuits and gravy gave me a flashback. It wouldn't be the last time.

After breakfast, we went outside ... Rut Ro, Raggy! It was Scooby and Shaggy! Oh, dang, the autograph books are in the minivan. Oh well, pics at least.

And now ... on to Magic Kingdom!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #30
littlewarriorsmom
Mouseketeer

Magic Kingdom!

Here we come!

Going through parking ... we showed the button and they waved us through. When we got up to the person directing people where to go, we showed the button and asked if there was a specific place we were supposed to park. "Yeah, go here, there, mmmmmbbbb ..." Uh, okay? We followed the directions and wound up ... heading back out! No no no no! There were some security guards, so we stopped and explained the situation. They explained that we were to go back around and this time, follow the blue line (or was it green?) to "Diamond parking." We did. We were upfront and close. Score!

Just in case, took a pic of where we were parked.

C'mon Vamonos, Everybody Let's Go ...

The crowds for the monorail looked heavy and Tom had read something about the ferries not taking long. So, let's Ferry!

Then we had our first ooopsie. I had rigged up a mister fan for everyone to hang on their fanny pack. (Not enough room inside.) We were upstairs on the ferry, and Jackson bumped against the railing. Down went the "spinner" face of his fan, rendering it useless. He could see, on the outside of the ferry. Frustrating. Well, no use hauling around a broken fan. Tom tossed the rest of it in the trash. After a couple of minutes, Jackson piped up -- he realized that if he went downstairs, he could reach the fan face. Well ... Tom had already thrown the fan in the trash. Oh well, Jackson! We promise we'll share with you!

Then, our next rough patch ... it was now about 11:00 (where does the time go???) We got into the park, got the stroller, but it was hot, crowded and Marenna was grumpy. I picked her up out of the stroller to take a picture. Bumped her head. Doh!!! Well, she's in a foul mood now. We take Photopass pics anyway, with her hiding her face. I put her back in the stroller. Oooh, look! A parade!

Look, Marenna! Mickey! Woody! Mr. Incredible!

For a response, I got a dirty look.

"We need cold water and we need it now!" I informed Tom. Tom, Jackson and Kaziah went into the Coney place on Main Street and came out with cups of ice water. Ahhh! That helps!

Let's head to Dumbo!

Oh, wait a moment. Time for some explanation.

At Magic Kingdom, with a few happy exceptions, we (and our GAC and Marenna's GKTW pin) were invisible. It was very odd, after all the trip reports we'd read. After chatting with someone at GKTW a couple of days later, we go the 'aha' -- this time of year, the parks are doing all of their hiring for the summer. So you have a whole lot of new folks who have no idea what MAW or GKTW is. Like when we got our stroller -- the girl looked at us like, "Um, so?" when we showed her Renn's pin. So we had to explain. That sort of thing.

So, back to Dumbo. Long line. We walk around, looking for a CM. None on the outside. None we can get to on the inside. We're feeling a little anxious. How do you do this? We see a CM over by Ariel's grotto and go talk to her. Show her the GAC and say, "We don't know what we're supposed to do." She kindly tells us to go to the exit and wait for someone. We do. We have to wait a couple of minutes, but then someone comes over, and I think points us to the handicapped entrance. Finally, we're on Dumbo.

We get off that and Tom sees Pooh and Tigger. Pooh was one of the biggies whom Renn wanted to meet, so we head over. We stand over by the edge of the line and a CM sees us and leads us over.

Pooh and Tigger have been quietly informed by the CM that Marenna is a Wish child, so she gets some extra special hugs. That was one thing I was really touched by -- the characters aren't afraid to give full-on love. It was sweet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: