Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: When should we go?
Mid June 10 25.64%
Late June 1 2.56%
Early July 0 0%
Mid July 0 0%
Late July 3 7.69%
Early August 1 2.56%
Mid August 3 7.69%
Late August 21 53.85%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

When to go in summer for 10 day trip?

We usually go to WDW in April or October, but we will need to go in the summer next year.

The kids will be out of school by mid-June, so when would you go? We will be using DVC points, so we won't be eligible for free dining if it's offered next summer.

Thanks!

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

We faced this issues last year and this year. Our boys are at the age where we really do not want to take them out of school for too many days. Last year we decided to go in mid/late August. It was HOT and semi-crowded plus we had Tropical Storm Fay to deal with all week. We had a good time but decided that August in FL just is not for us. This year we decided to go for two weeks. We decided to start our vacation as soon as our kids were done with school. We will leave the evening of their last day (they will actually miss 1.5 days the next week but so will everyone else!) I think it will be crowded but the really heavy crowds are not expected to be there yet. yes, it will be hot (maybe even as hot as AUgust) but we have enough time to take some down time and avoid the parks during the daily heights of crowds and heat. Plus even though we are in technically in hurricane season, it doesn't seem to be most likely time for hurricanes/tropical storms.
I can't say for sure but I think it is going to be a great time to go!

There is no way we will ever go in July! Too hot, too crowded and too many DVC points
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

We've done late June (week before July 4) and late August. Both were pretty hot and pretty crowded, but manageable if you use FP and get there at opening. I voted late August because it's traditionally a free dining period, although you never know.
Summer is not a bad time to visit because the park hours are extended, sometimes until well after midnight (for EMH) and there are usually a lot of shows and parades scheduled.
Have fun!
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

Late August!!!! We go then every year since schools don't start until after Labor Day. Even with Free Dining, the crowds are way down.
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
JasonDVC
DIS Veteran

Definitely don't go 4th of July week 2010 but if you do definitely don't stay at AKV Kidani. That's when we are going and I want to make sure there is a 2 bed and 1 bed available when I book!

I always say that the people who complain that it is "too hot" in July are the same that complain it is "too cold" in January. If you start thinking it is too hot, just remember how much you dislike the cold of the winter and you learn to appreciate July.

That's my method and I'm sticking to it!

I voted go late July

JasonDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Brer Shay
compulsive Disney planner

I voted mid-June - slightly better weather/humidity, smaller crowds, and less likely disruption by Hurricane. If your schools don't start until after Labor Day, I'd go with the 10 days before that - crowds will be their lowest.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
jb01
DIS Veteran

I also say mid-june. Not as hot and early in season for tropical storms to form.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

I voted late August because it's value season, lots of kids are already back in school so crowds are low, and there's the potential for free dining!

I think June is still peak time and there are plenty of schools that get our in May, so it is more crowded then.

For both financial and crowd reasons, I think August trumps June.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
DisneyWisher
DIS Veteran

I say go late August the heat will be the same as mid June. Its Florida and we are the Sunshine State so expect hot but this is also our rainy season. I think the crowds will be lower (our kids go back to school mid August) plus free dining.
DisneyWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone! I'm torn between mid-June and late August. We can't get free dining because we'll be using DVC points, so that won't factor into our decision.

So, there's mid-June with larger crowds and smaller hurricane risk, or late Aug with smaller crowds but larger hurricane risk.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: