Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
disneymurtagh
Mouseketeer

Last Minute WDW Vet, 1st trip to Disneyland...HELP

ok I am a WDW vet, and I am very used to knowing everything from garbage can locations to the best places to eat. I recently had to cancel a trip to Mexico (swine flu outbreak) and I re-scheduled a last minute trip to Disneyland, going next week. I have read a ton on here about the differences and all, but at this point with the stress of re-booking everything and canceling etc... my mind is mush!!

What would be the must dos??
What are the best places to eat?? Can I get any ADR's now for next week?? What are the crowds like??
Best advice??
disneymurtagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
S. S. Columbia
DIS Veteran

A great place to start is the

HydroGuy Tips Compilation
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520483

Especially this one:

"A DLR Guide for WDW Vets"
www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

"I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place -- a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it." -Walt Disney
S. S. Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymurtagh View Post
ok I am a WDW vet, and I am very used to knowing everything from garbage can locations to the best places to eat. I recently had to cancel a trip to Mexico (swine flu outbreak) and I re-scheduled a last minute trip to Disneyland, going next week. I have read a ton on here about the differences and all, but at this point with the stress of re-booking everything and canceling etc... my mind is mush!!

What are the best places to eat?? Can I get any ADR's now for next week?? What are the crowds like??
Best advice??
You don't need ADRs (at DL called Priority Seating), unless you have a large group, or wish to eat at Blue Bayou, Napa Rose, a character breakfast, or Steakhouse 55. If you call dining you can get reservations for next week. You'll find DL sooooooooo much more "laid back" than WDW in that you don't need to do all that super-planning. You can just relax and enjoy!

Must do's:
  • Fantasmic
    Space Mountain
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Monsters Inc
    California Screamin'
    Finding Nemo Subs
    Mickey's Toontown (so much better at DL!)
    Indiana Jones
    Toy Story Midway Mania
I'm sure there's more but I can't think right now. You should experience relatively low crowds, since it's before the summer rush and after all the spring breaks. Plus- Food and Wine Festival at DCA! What a great time to come visit Disneyland. You'll love it!

Enjoy your unexpected vacation!
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
disneymurtagh
Mouseketeer

thank you so much!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
OrthoDad
Mouseketeer

I hope you have a great trip! We, too, were long time WDW veterans, but moved to AZ 3 years ago, so now we've spent more time at DL, and we love it! Here are some of our suggestions for WDW vets!

1. Space Mt - much better at DL
2. FL Dark rides - Alice, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Storybook boats - also not at WDW
3. Indiana Jones - great ride!
4. Pirates - much different, longer at DL
5. Blue Bayou - you've got to eat here once, it's inside Pirates!
6. Cafe Orleans - for another great dinner, try the Beignets for dessert!
7. Aladdin show at DCA - great Broadway type show
8. Screamin over CA - if you're a rollercoaster lover
9. Go visit the Grand Californian Hotel - it's our favorite Disney hotel, great theming, now opening a DVC portion, and eat at Storyteller's Cafe!
10. Matterhorn - classic, first Disney coaster

Have a great trip!
OrthoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
disneymurtagh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrthoDad View Post
I hope you have a great trip! We, too, were long time WDW veterans, but moved to AZ 3 years ago, so now we've spent more time at DL, and we love it! Here are some of our suggestions for WDW vets!

2. FL Dark rides - Alice, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Storybook boats - also not at WDW
9. Go visit the Grand Californian Hotel - it's our favorite Disney hotel, great theming, now opening a DVC portion, and eat at Storyteller's Cafe!

Have a great trip!
that was great thank you
Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrthoDad View Post

Have a great trip!
Excellent post.

Those would be the top 10 in many of our lists. Here's some others:

11. Get to DL early each day...more important at DLR than at WDW.
12. The time difference is your friend the first couple of days (for getting up early).
13. Griz Rapids is as good or better than Kali.
14. IASW, the Tiki Room, Jedi Academy, & Buzz are better at DLR than at WDW.
15. Collect FPs (for use in the evening) early each day.
16. Park Hop each day.
17. The Trattoria is a great place to relax for an hour with a glass & an appetizer...not quite World Showcase, but close. (It's also great for a late lunch or an early dinner.... al fresco)
18. Eat a Corny Dog at the Corn Dog Palace.
19. I want to re-iterate how great the FL rides are...& try out the Matterhorn, Teacups & Storybookland in the morning AND at night.
20. Read all of Hydroguy's tip threads.

Have a great time at Walt's Park.

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
S. S. Columbia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymurtagh View Post

Best advice??
DL has the Billy Hilly and the Hillbillies show at the Golden Horseshoe. Billy Hill plays Wed. to Mon. (the show is dark on Tues. and Wed.).

The Tiki Juice Bar, which is near the Enchanted Tiki Room, serves (pineapple) Dole Whips. You might want to check it out -- it’s a Disneyland thing.

In Toontown, Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin is an unusual dark ride. Its FP machines are not connected to the rest of DL’s FP machines, so you can usually get a FP for it right away. RRCTS has an interesting queue, so you might want to get a FP, and also ride it in the standby line. It’s worth riding more than once. On Tues., Thurs, and Sun. Toontown opens 1 hour after DL’s regular opening time -- FWIW, some of the shortest lines for Toontown can be found at those times.

In DCA, the Monsters Inc. ride is fun. Please say “Hi” to Roz.

In the Animation Building (Character Closeup?) in DCA is the Toy Story Zeotrope. I hear it takes about 5 minutes to see the “show” -- and I’ve heard that it’s worth seeing.

Unfortunately, Fantasmic will be down next week. Fantasmic is getting a new dragon, so it’s down for refurb from March 29 to June 11.

The Aladdin show (in DCA) has been running Thurs. to Sun. (The Alladin show has been dark Mon. to Wed.) I think that's correct -- but here's a link to the official calendar to double-check:
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...darMonthlyPage

Hope this helps.

"I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place -- a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it." -Walt Disney
S. S. Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
disneymurtagh
Mouseketeer

thanks SS, that's great info i COULD NEVER GET IN THE STICKIES!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
basketballmom
Living in the Happiest Place in Texas!

I hope they still have these.......Mickey shaped soft pretzels! Our favorite snack! We went to WDW last summer and all the pretzels there are pretzel shaped.

There is also Mickey shaped bread at DCA.
basketballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

As APHs at DLR I frequently make a PS the morning of our visit if we are going the eat at Wine Country Trattoria. I love sitting on the patio on a beautiful California day, watching the guests go by and eating a Pizzetta Salad. (Pizzeta Salad* - Romaine hearts, Roma tomatoes, smoked bacon, crumbled blue cheese, Kalamata olives with a creamy Italian dressing served on a warm pizzeta crust $9.99) It's so good and big enough to share. My DM and I share this frequently. Cold salad on top of warm thick bread.

Oh, and in March I made a PS at Cafe Orleans for our party of six (called that a.m.) and even though we were almost 20 min. late (I messed up on the time) we were still seated in about 5-10 mins.

You don't really need a PS most of the time but it will save you 15-20 mins. during less busy times and even longer when it's busier. It's definitely not as difficult to eat at DLR as it can be at WDW.

A good CS choice is Whitewater Snacks in the GC hotel. You can access it right by Redwood Creek Challenge Trail in DCA and it's a quick walk to the restaurant. Like the food courts at the resorts in WDW. It's a good choice for lunch since they aren't open very late off season.

Also, WTC gives both AP discount as well as AAA card.

Here's a pix of the Pizzetta Salad-we get the olives on the side since I don't like them and DM does.

If you are there from Thurs-Sun. the Aladdin show is not to be missed.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
LittleWoodenHead
It's interesting that we both used the word "abomination" to describe the WDW Tiki Room....

Excellent suggestions so far, and here's one more:

If you will be there on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, make a special point to catch the "Remember... Dreams Come True" fireworks show -- preferably from the Hub.

It was created for the 50th Anniversary and will (finally and sadly) be leaving in a few more weeks. Although they have shortened it a bit, it still remains one of the best fireworks shows EVAH!

Enjoy your trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: