Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Joeguitar
Earning My Ears

First Case of Swine Flu Reported @ Disney

http://www.wftv.com/news/19311020/detail.html
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

~Walt Disney~
Joeguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeguitar View Post
Only this station is reporting this as of 12:23pm...I wonder why the paper and other television stations aren't reporting this too?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Mouseaholic!!!
DIS Veteran

Head of the hospital is now saying it's not swine flu.
Mouseaholic!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Only this station is reporting this as of 12:23pm...I wonder why the paper and other television stations aren't reporting this too?
WFTV is notorious to jump in early on anything "anti" Disney. And it's an ABC station on top of that....go figure!

Edited to add....the other Orlando news outlets are saying the story is NOT confirmed!

http://www.wesh.com/health/19311086/detail.html

Typical WFTV.....if it's anything anti Disney take it and run! Confirmed or not!!!

Last edited by OrlandoMike; 04-28-2009 at 03:57 PM.
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
MemoToMe
I'm considering getting No Limits
I am just too colorful for words

I know someone at Florida Hospital and they can confirm it.

Thankfully, The Big Bad Wolf is is expected to make a full recovery.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

A disney bus driver told me the story, and a boat captain confirmed it, so it must be true!
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Dznefreek
R.I.P Bruce

WFTV always wants to be first . . . I say be right .
Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Here we go folks. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if you are seriously sick, please DO NOT visit WDW. Diseases spread quickly in this type of enviroment, and I know we do not want to infect others..........right? And, if you do get sick, PLEASE get to the hospital in Orlando, and stay away from others. Some will say, "Oh, I have spent a lot of money on this vacation, I'm not missing out on anything. Well, guess what? no body wants to catch what you have, so once again, PLEASE use some common sense.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
PHILCT
DIS Veteran

I think it is only a matter of time before we hear of some confirmed cases about the Swine Flu in Orlando. It isn't logical to think that Orlando is going to escape the Swine Flu with the massive number of people travelling in and out of the MCO airport. Disney and Orlando is the number one Family Vacation location in the USA.

I am watching carefully the new U.S. states added each day that have the Swine Flu confimed, and my own home state of Connecticut has now been added to the U.S. states with Swine Flu.

Can you imagine the airline travel industry, hotels, Disney, etc dealing with even a dozen reported cases of Swine Flu in Orlando. I wonder what they are saying PRIVATELY in boardroom meetings each day hoping that the Swine Flu doesn't make its way to Orlando, and what to say or not say if it does arrive.

I'm going to Disney in 12 days, I will be bringing travel and pocket packages of anti bacterial soaps, and a couple of high filtration face masks just in case. If you saw some people wearing masks in the park would you freak out?

I pray we all stay safe, and Disney can keep on giving us the magic we all seek.

Phil
PHILCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Read the Orlando Sentinel article on line.
They've done a nasal swab on the person of interest.
Nothing confirmed as of yet.
So as of this moment on Tuesday night, there are still ZERO cases in Florida.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
Read the Orlando Sentinel article on line.
They've done a nasal swab on the person of interest.
Nothing confirmed as of yet.
So as of this moment on Tuesday night, there are still ZERO cases in Florida.

BobK/Orlando
Key words: as of yet. It's only a matter of time. Everybody needs to be vigilante.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
PHILCT
DIS Veteran

NOTE: There is a HUGE thread on the FLU SWINE subject in the Theme Park Strategies Forum.
PHILCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
Padrepride
The Ultimate Padre Fan

Although I think that the national news sources are blowing the swine flu out of proportion, I do acknowledge the presence and threat of this disease and the danger of it spreading exponentially at crowded places such as Walt Disney World. I heard this disease is most common in New York right now which, guess what, has the most densely populated city in America. With all the people that stand in line at WDW and other theme parks, the disease could spread very easily to all parts of the country as people leave Florida and go back to their home states. Wash your hands people!
Padrepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
P.I. Squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILCT View Post
Can you imagine the airline travel industry, hotels, Disney, etc dealing with even a dozen reported cases of Swine Flu in Orlando. I wonder what they are saying PRIVATELY in boardroom meetings each day hoping that the Swine Flu doesn't make its way to Orlando, and what to say or not say if it does arrive.
While currently the threat is low, if panic sets in this scenario could be similar to the 9/11 aftermath. The parks were as empty as I had seen it in years in late 2001.

And, I think this is the real reason Florida Hospital denies that it is swine flu. If the doctor was wrong, and the case was not swine flu, FH could be liable for losses caused by unguided assumptions. The case may be swine flu, but FH will let the CDC make that call.

Quote:
Here we go folks. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if you are seriously sick, please DO NOT visit WDW.
While I agree, by the time you are outwardly sick, how many people have you already infected? But you're right, get to care, because the quicker it is diagnosed, the less serious it becomes.

Quote:
Typical WFTV.....if it's anything anti Disney take it and run! Confirmed or not!!!
Not just Disney, WFTV are the 'sensationalist news' of Orlando IMO.

P.I. Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
lovemickeyshouse
DISNEY LOVER

What gets me is I been hearing Swine flu can be cured so whats the panic for?
First deluxe stay Wilderness Lodge Dec 2010 with parents,Sis,Bro in Law 3 nrphews one of which my godson and his first Disney trip.September 2009 Pop 33rd Bday free dining trip was awesome. Been at Pop once in 2008 for World Series game 2 in Tampa and Port Orleans Riverside March 2008 family trip with parents and sis's family
It all started in 1980 and then 1985 and 1988 .No trips for 17 years and in 2005 I was at my 2nd home for the Superbowl what a story and since my Disney love went on. Can't wait for my next trip is the Hooneymoon in November 2012. Check out my internet show at [url]www.philliebeerman.com
lovemickeyshouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: