Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
DisneyMissy
Mouseketeer

TR for 5/24-5/30 at the POP! Lots of pictures!!

So here goes my first attempt at a thread! First a little background, I'm 21 years old and about to graduate college! So naturally when asked what I wanted for a graduation present my answer was a trip to Disney!! My family is a bunch of Disney lovers (for example, my older brothers tatoos: Simba, Fantasia Mickey, Jiminy Cricket, and one of Donald's nephews, can't remember which one), and I've been to Disney four times before (ages 3, 5, and 7, then money got tight and didn't get back until I was 19). Now I'm planning a trip for my boyfriend and me. He's 25 and has never been to Disney!! Can you believe it?!

Unfortunately, last time I went I was only able to go for three days in between classes, and had to rush through everything! There's so much about Disney that I didn't remember (or know) until I started reading around DISboards, and I figured writing a planning report looked like fun! Plus, my boyfriend gets mad at me when I tell him all my plans for the trip. He wants to just get there and go with the flow. I tried to explain to him if we don't have a plan for FASTPASS or ADRs we'll spend twice as long in lines and have no table service meals! He just doesn't understand!!

Well seeing as how graduation is only 26 days away (27 days til Disney!) and I have a lot of work to do, I should probably get to it!! I'll be back tomorrow to post more!!

Last edited by DisneyMissy; 06-02-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
DisneyMissy
Mouseketeer

Whoops...I got a little busy last night with homework! But anyway, more with the planning.

So when I went to Disney in 2007, my mom had planned everything before we knew whether or not I would be able to go with them, so I didn't really have a say in anything. This time I'm really excited that I get to plan the entire trip myself! (my boyfriend doesn't believe in planning) There were a couple places I had remembered going to when I was a kid, and knew I had to go back there: the Sci-Fi Drive-in and the Hoop-Dee-Doo. Other than that, my heart wasn't really set on going anywhere. Okay, that's not really true...I am not so secretly hoping that my boyfriend proposes to me while we're in Disney (we've been together for almost 3 1/2 years)!! So I tried to get CRT, but no luck. I thought about the place in Norway (can't spell it), but my boyfriend and I are both fairly picky eaters. I finally settled for breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, not really princess, but still nice. Plus, the GF is beautiful!

Class is starting in 10 minutes, so I should head out. I'll be back soon with my day-to-day plans.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
DisneyMissy
Mouseketeer

Yay!! It's May!! That means I am going to Disney this month! 23 days to be exact!

So I just signed up for Photobucket, but I need 4 more posts before I can add any pictures Hopefully next time!

So here's my plans for Day 1

Our flight is arriving in Orlando at 12:30, and we'll be taking ME to the POP. Some people have said ME is fast, others say not so much. Either way, I'm hoping to be checked into our room by 2:30. Casey, my bf, wanted to spend the entire day lounging by the pool and exploring the grounds. I was okay with this until I realized that night will be our only chance to see Fantasmic! I finally talked him into going to DHS that night. I figure we'll leave POP around 6, which should give us enough time at DHS to walk around and maybe do one ride before finding a seat for Fantasmic.

What do you guys think...good idea or no? I'd love some feedback!!

1991: Port Orleans Resort, August 1992: 5th Birthday at Carribean Beach Resort, December 1994: Offsite, August 2007:Pop Century, May 2009: Graduation Celebration at Pop Century, June 2009: Offsite, nieces' first trip (ages 2 and 5 months), April 2011: Offsite, Belle's first trip to Disney World (8 months), April 2012: VGC, First trip to Disney Land
Old 05-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
DisneyMissy
Mouseketeer

So I believe I finally have enough posts, so here goes attempt two on the photo:

I hope that worked! This is a picture of me (Missy) and my boyfriend Casey about 1 1/2 years ago.

Anyway...Day 2- Animal Kingdom

I've only been to AK once, and I only got to spend a half day there. My list of must-do rides/shows is pretty short, so if I'm missing a good one, let me know!

9:00 a.m. park opens- heading straight to Kilimanjaro Safari
Then probably getting a FP for EE (if it's for later than 12)
11:00 a.m.- ADR at Yak & Yeti...never been there, but it's the only table service location in AK that takes the dining plan
12:00-5:00ish- EE, Dinosaur, Festival of the Lion King, Flights of Wonder, and Kalie River rapids
5:00-8:00- EMH- Finishing whatever we didn't get done

Thinking of grabbing a CS meal from Flame Tree BBQ, I've heard good reviews. Does anyone know if they stay open during EMH, or will I have to plan on eating before 5?

Thanks!

1991: Port Orleans Resort, August 1992: 5th Birthday at Carribean Beach Resort, December 1994: Offsite, August 2007:Pop Century, May 2009: Graduation Celebration at Pop Century, June 2009: Offsite, nieces' first trip (ages 2 and 5 months), April 2011: Offsite, Belle's first trip to Disney World (8 months), April 2012: VGC, First trip to Disney Land
Old 05-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Sunset Cliffs
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your upcoming graduation! What an accomplishment. A Disney trip is the perfect reward. It's good that you are doing a Pre-trip report so you can discuss your planning w/ others, since your bf doesn't sound like the planning type! I'm sure it's tough to not discuss too much w/ him.

At AK, the Flame Tree BBQ is on our must-do list. My husband loves BBQ ribs and he really liked them last time. I don't remember what I had but I know that I liked it.

The only other thing that I would suggest for that day is doing one of the walking trails w/ the animals....probably the one that is right when you get off of the safari. It is nice to go at your own pace and view the animals. I especially like the meercats and the gorillas. We usually spend more time here than we plan to. But if you really like tigers, then the other one is what you should do (down by Kali River Rapids). They have some great viewing spots for the tigers. Sorry, I can't remember the names of the trails, but I'm sure you can find them on the map, no problem.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
DisneyMissy
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the congratulations! It has been very difficult not discussing every second of our trip with him...he thinks I'm crazy for doing so much planning!

I've heard a lot of great things about Flame Tree BBQ, so we will definitely be trying it!

I plan on doing some of the walking trails, I'm just not sure when. A lot of people say the animals are usually hiding mid-day (due to the heat). Do you remember about what time you were there??

Thanks for your help!!

Old 05-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Sunset Cliffs
DIS Veteran

It's been 3 years since we were there, so it's hard to remember. My FAVORITE time is one that I do remember though. It was near the end of the day (I think the park closed at 5 pm that day since it was in November). We had spent a lot of time watching the hippos & meercats and so we were leaving since the park was closing. We came to the end of the gorilla section and there were probably 5 of the gorillas moving to the far right side.

There were probably only 6 other people around and a CM came out and said to stay and watch for a few minutes. They had a routine at the end of the night to round up the gorillas. They all got this frozen fruit/ice thing in a cup as a treat if they all went to the same area to exit to back stage. It was their reward for following directions. They all sat there and waited for her and she threw these cups of frozen fruit to them from the path we all were standing on. They would catch them or chase them down and then all sat there & ate them for probably 10 minutes. It was the most amazing thing, because it was all very calm & orderly. We took a ton of pictures during the whole thing. Then when they were done they all went into the back stage area.

I don't know if that still happens but I will never forget it. It was one of those magic moments that we talk about every once in a while.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
DisneyMissy
Mouseketeer

Wow, that's awesome!! I'll try to be there at the end of the night. Thanks!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
DisneyMissy
Mouseketeer

Day 3- EPCOT

The plan is to spend the morning in future world trying to get as many of the following rides done: Mission: SPACE, Test Track, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, Soarin, and I'm debating on Ellen's Energy Adventure. I know it's a looong ride, so I don't want to get on it unless we're basically out of stuff to do or someone tells me I should!

Then around 12-1, we'll head over to Mexico for some lunch (I'd be happy with just a churro and a margarita, but I should probably get food!!). Then we'll work our way around the World Showcase.

So I've heard a lot about drinking around the world, and this is my first time at Disney since turning 21...so where should I go and what should I get?!

Has anyone done the pick a pearl thing in Japan? I was so excited when I heard about it and I have to do it!! Should I try to get there early, or does it not really matter?

At 7 p.m. we have reservations at the Garden Grill. I've read mixed reviews about it, but my main reason for chosing it was the fried catfish. Casey is from Arkansas and loves fried catfish (he also loves Chip & Dale)...so I hope it's good!

Then IllumiNations, then spending EMH doing anything we didn't do or taking a nice romantic stroll around the World Showcase.

Only 9 days until I can do on-line check-in!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
stephanie71717
Earning My Ears

Hello Missy, I was reading over your post and realized we will be at Pop durring the same time. I leave for Pop May 19th and come on the 27th so with that said I can really understand your excitement for counting down the days. Last year my family went to Disney to celebrate my graduation it was great. Have you told Disney that you are celebrating your graduation? If not you should who knows what kind of magic will come your way. We are also eating at the Garden Grill, mostly for the characters and Flame Tree BBQ is always on our list, its a counter servive meal that isn't a burger so everyone enjoys it.

Do you think your boyfriend will propose to you in Disney?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
DisneyMissy
Mouseketeer

Hey Stephanie, that's awesome that you'll be there at the same time! You must be as excited as I am! Who knows, maybe we'll see eachother?! I don't want to get my hopes up, so I'm not planning on it. He keeps saying he doesn't have the money to buy a ring (which I know is true!). I'm hoping though!!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
brock20l
Earning My Ears

Missy: you must tell me all about your trip when you get back!! I am in a situation much like yours: I'm 21, my boyfriend is 22, and I am planning a 9 day Disney trip for just the 2 of us. When we go in December, we weren't going specifically for the purpose of celebrating graduation, but he will have just (finally!) finished university, so the trip will be a vacation and a celebration for us too! I've never been before, and he has been once. I want to hear all about your must-sees and must-dos for people like us! We too are staying at POP, so any tips about the hotel would be fantastic as well!

PS -- had to come back and edit this post too, because I just went back and re-read the above posts -- my boyfriend doesn't believe in planning either!! - not even a little bit!

Last edited by brock20l; 05-05-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
DisneyMissy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock20l View Post
Missy: you must tell me all about your trip when you get back!! I am in a situation much like yours: I'm 21, my boyfriend is 22, and I am planning a 9 day Disney trip for just the 2 of us. When we go in December, we weren't going specifically for the purpose of celebrating graduation, but he will have just (finally!) finished university, so the trip will be a vacation and a celebration for us too! I've never been before, and he has been once. I want to hear all about your must-sees and must-dos for people like us! We too are staying at POP, so any tips about the hotel would be fantastic as well!

PS -- had to come back and edit this post too, because I just went back and re-read the above posts -- my boyfriend doesn't believe in planning either!! - not even a little bit!
Congrats to your boyfriend on his graduation! That's so exciting that it is your first trip...you're going to love it! I've never been to Canada, but I would love to go some day. You'll have to tell me where I should go and what I should do!

I'll be writing a trip report when I get back, and I will let you know what we did and didn't like...though I'm sure there won't be too much we don't like! With it being my boyfriend's first time going, I wanted to plan to do some things that might not usually appeal to two adults (mainly character meals), but I'll let you know if he likes them. I'm still looking for ideas on "adult" things to do while we're there, so if I come across anything good, I'll be sure to let you know!

I stayed at the POP last time I was in Disney and loved it. I think the theming is really cool (I love nostalgic stuff), and since it's the newest value resort it is more updated than the All Stars. An added plus is that it doesn't share its bus system with any other resorts. You guys might want to call and request a king bed if you haven't already. I hear it opens up the room a bit and gives you more floor space.

I'm glad you understand my pain of having a boyfriend that refuses to plan anything, but on the bright side we get to plan whatever we want

Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
brock20l
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMissy View Post
Congrats to your boyfriend on his graduation! That's so exciting that it is your first trip...you're going to love it! I've never been to Canada, but I would love to go some day. You'll have to tell me where I should go and what I should do!

I'll be writing a trip report when I get back, and I will let you know what we did and didn't like...though I'm sure there won't be too much we don't like! With it being my boyfriend's first time going, I wanted to plan to do some things that might not usually appeal to two adults (mainly character meals), but I'll let you know if he likes them. I'm still looking for ideas on "adult" things to do while we're there, so if I come across anything good, I'll be sure to let you know!

I stayed at the POP last time I was in Disney and loved it. I think the theming is really cool (I love nostalgic stuff), and since it's the newest value resort it is more updated than the All Stars. An added plus is that it doesn't share its bus system with any other resorts. You guys might want to call and request a king bed if you haven't already. I hear it opens up the room a bit and gives you more floor space.

I'm glad you understand my pain of having a boyfriend that refuses to plan anything, but on the bright side we get to plan whatever we want

So true!! -- I had never really thought of it that way, but I suppose this IS better than fighting over the details with someone!!

I think I'll be posting a PTR on here soon, so you can check out what I've already got planned and see if any of that appeals to you guys too. I am looking at a few character meals also -- namely the one at Akershus with the princesses, and at 1900 Park Fare with Mary Poppins, et. al. -- just because it is my first time there, and I know I will have fun with it!

I'm glad you liked POP -- I tried to read as much as I could about it before I booked, but it's always nice to hear more personal stories. I have put in a request for a King bed, as yesterday when I was reading the giant "bible" of POP on here, I noticed that they only have 81 out of like 2500 rooms with a King instead of doubles. So, since I'm going during insanity week in December, we will hope they can accommodate....

And yes, I can definately tell you where to go and what to do in Canada -- just be forwarned that we don't all wear lumberjack shirts and hikers, and live beside totem poles like in Epcot lol!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
brock20l
Earning My Ears

See the below for my PTR -- I don't know if it will help you any, but I could use some feedback on it too!

and DBF do Disney!!

2011 Eastern Caribbean aboard the Magic
2009/2010 WDW New Years @ POP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: