Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #211
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team
I had no idea that we shrink as the day goes on

Ooo, too bad about the being hot.

I am sure the sweating in AC comes from you just being overheated.

I cannot wait to hear about your trip and see some pics!

daisy_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #212
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Okey dokey. I didn't take notes and didn't take anywhere near as many pictures as I normally do, so this might be text-heavy and not much fun. But I said I'd do a report, and a report I shall do.

While the kiddo watches the Best of Both Worlds concert on one of the 18 million channels at the brother's house.

Hmm. Don't celebrities believe in seatbelts? Do they think that their vehicles will magically protect them from death and injury? Why don't they wear seatbelts????? (Billy Ray and Miley, being interviewed while being driven to rehearsal)

I did tell them that we should be there BEFORE 9, so we could be already at the gates at 9:30. For some reason...we left at 7:30, and they live not right in downtown San Diego, and, well, we were at the parking lot at 9:22. Oh well. It's better than getting to DL at 10 and having to buy tickets, right?

Then again, we were directed to Garden Walk to park. Why, I don't know, but there we were, at GW! They have special disney parking tickets, I guess, when that happens. It seems that normally they charge by the hour, but with the ticket you PREpay (like at the disney lots), so KEEP that ticket!

There was an option to take a shuttle, and we tried to follow the signs for that, but the line was long and seemed obnoxious (though they were using HUGE buses). So we asked how to walk.

You go to the 1st floor, go out past the ticket center area they have (you can buy single day single park tickets there, but with a fee attached, was what I gleaned from the sign), and out to the Valet area. Leave that area, go right on the sidewalk. Cross the parking lot's driveway, and you notice that you are on Disney Way. None of that whole being on Katella nonsense you might think, when you find yourself surprisingly being parked at Garden Walk!

The walk was FAST. Go up the Way to Harbor. Cross Harbor and you will of course see the big Disney signs, but you do have to go up to the proper entrance. (OK you could also cross Disney Way, then cross Harbor...we just went with the walk/don't walk lights, whichever went green first, LOL) So then we crossed Disney Way.

At that point, there are two ways to go, it seemed. One way took you along the sidewalk right next to the street. The other way involved going "through" the big sign, the purple-with-diamond-shapes bit you see to the right in the above picture.

So we went through, b/c it seemed it would shave some time. And it seemed to! We didn't meet up with the hordes whohad *just* crossed Harbor at Captain Kidd's, but got onto that part of the entrance a bit further in towards the bag check. The walk was very short. My brother, who is nursing an injury, had no problems with, and compared to the trek we have dealt with on trips with him in the past, when we parked in the Mickey/Friends structure, well, he wants to park at Garden Walk whenever he/we go in the future.

Since we were heading to DCA, we went through the MUCH shorter bag check line as far left as we could find, and they went right up to a ticket booth where a helpful CM was pointing people to empty spots. And there were MANY empty spots on the Harbor side at around 9:42am. I talked with the CM as SIL bought their tix, and he said that shortly they would be going over to the DTD side to get people to come over to the Harbor side. I bet there are a ton of people who refuse that, not being brave enough to leave the line they're in!

My brother got a little defensive of the time we got there, and we did fine, but ultimately, we could have done *better* if we'd gotten there earlier.

There was a need for a bathroom break, and a need for a rental stroller (do not ask me why I left our stroller at home...or why I thought E would be just fine on a commando, long, day...I'm just silly I suppose), so those were done at the same time by different people. I should have gotten a locker then, but I was being silly.

OK this is funny, but normally a big part of why I remember "what happened next" is b/c of the big stack of unused FPs I bring home! I didn't bring home any, we used them all! Oh dear.

Back in a moment.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 06-22-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: wording
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #213
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

No wonder you got so overheated. Oh my goodness. What a mess that is.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #214
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Well, I survived watching the concert. Actually, thanks to the fact that most of her songs seem to be ripped directly off from many excellent 80s songs, it's not a surprised that us late 30s and early 40s people don't totally rip off our ears when we hear her. I mean, there was one that sounded exactly like the music for the lyric "I wear my sunglasses at night".

While putting pix on photobucket, I accidentally looked at 4 pictures my SIL took of me, with my camera, of me and E on tuck and roll...augh. And to think I know I've lost weight in these last 12 days...ugh ugh ugh.

E misses his aunt and uncle...they are both off on business trips right now. No epic lightsaber (glow sticks from the dollar store, actually) battles with auntie gets home from the trenches of law, and no whatever it is he does with my brother during brother's breaks from work (he works from home most of the time, only going to the office (in a different part of this state, or in a different state altogether) when necessary. Poor kid.

I'll come back after putting E to bed.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #215
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team

We did June last year...just me and Maddie. I am not sure what I was thinking. It was so blazing hot and towards the end of our trip it was so busy...I almost regretted going.

But now that I look back, I am glad we went...I just wish I had been more prepared for the heat. KWIM?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #216
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team

I hit send before I could comment on your tr so far...lol.

That is cool about the Garden Walk parking area. I will have to remember that for next time we drive.

I hope your brother's knee is okay!

I would have not brought a stroller either. I think we tend to forget that 4 and 5 year olds still need a rest from walking.

I am looking forward to more!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #217
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

What's weird is that wunderground said, beforehand, that the high would be 72, and when I got home, it said that the high that day in Anaheim was only 76...but there was something that was just not working well with me! I saw people wearing sweaters, thick ones on some, ALL day. SIL, who does run cold, wore her sweatshirt most of the day, and had it close at hand the rest of the day. E wasn't sweating (and he's like me in that department) at all, not even while running around the Redwood area.

Just odd.

But then, last year at R's (then) company's summer picnic, I took myself to the first aid tent, for a nice sitdown with water and ice packs, so it does seem I can overheat. I've GOT to get this weight off, b/c I'm sure that's what is causing it. Or at least, if it isn't the cause, take off the weight b/c I'd be happier without it!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #218
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Okey dokey! I'm basically alone (E is sleeping and the cats are avoiding me b/c I'm simply not their usual people) in this huge house and I'm a'skeered! Whimper.

Stroller rental, bathroom, accomplished.

I was telling them tidbits about the park, which they seemed to like, and I didn't want to rush rush through, I wanted them to see the place. I pointed out the bakery and ice cream place, and my SIL was so funny about it, taking note of the bakery. From her reaction to food, you would never guess that she's probably a size 0 or 2...she loves food, just can't eat large quantities of it, and shares *everything* with my brother. Even cookies.

As we got to Soarin', I said "you guys just keep going up the hill, I'm going to get a FP, I'll meet you". I accomplished my part, but...it turns out SIL was taking E through the "cool your jets" water mister thing that looks like a rocket taking off. And for whatever reason, I just didn't see them and they didn't see me, so I figured they'd gone up the hill. But really, I should have met up with them *right there*, so I was confused. I got close to Grizzly when brother called me after I called him, and they were still at the water thing. Harumph.

So I told them to come up the hill while I went down, and that's when the heat reaction started, even though it wasn't even 10am and no one else seemed to think it was hot. Weird weird weird. And gross. No one wants their hair to be wet like that for hours, you know? No one wants their face to do more than glisten, LOL. And no one wants to be near someone having that reaction!

Anyway, I showed them Grizzly and they verified that it wasn't something they were interested in. There's a back story to that...in '07, my brother came up for a day of our September trip, and we had a nice time. Ate at Blue Bayou, explored parts of Tom Sawyer Island, etc. But the part that sticks out in everyone's mind is the fact that my brother sat *behind* my husband (not a skinny guy), when hubby was seated at the very very FRONT of Splash. They.Got.Drenched. I mean, underwear was soaked, feet squelched, it was bad. They were literally dripping when they came off of Splash. E wasn't even 3.5, and he still remembers it!!!!

So brother has no interest in rides that might soak him.

They seemed to be interested in all the things you could see, and I had shown pictures of the construction walls, so I hope they weren't disappointed. I told them, over the day, what all was being changed and added, I was a tour guide. We got to TSMM in good time, and I got in the line that extended out towards the entrance of Screamin'. Augh.

But it moved fast, of course. I read someone's comment somewhere that TSMM is a slow loader, and I just cannot agree with that. Doesn't seem that different from Pirates, and that's a fast loading ride.

Well, that line was stated to be 45 minutes, but it was NOT. Before I've said that I've never been in the line when it was shorter than the stated time, but now I have. I was kinda focused on controlling the reaction I was having to perceived heat, and E was having fun with his aunt and uncle, and we all made it through. Brother actually noticed the building that the line goes into well before you go into it...I was telling them to admire the way the queue is created (they actually did see that it was brilliant), and that it's always best to not notice that building until later, LOL. Quite a bit of the line, however, seemed to be made up of space between groups, so you'd move up quite a bit every time someone would wake up and noticed that they needed to go.

Finally we were on the ride. E chose his aunt, so I sat with my brother. At first, he thought accuracy counted. I noticed the way he was pulling the string and by the third game told him that accuracy didn't count unless he wanted to do it that way, and he went from 20,000 to a finishing score of 99,000, with just half of the games. He would have blown us away, if he had known to just shoot shoot shoot the whole time. I got something like 150K, SIL got 103K, and E got 48,000, which is quite respectable for a 5 year old!

They both loved the ride. I was so happy.

For some reason, Screamin' wasn't working, and I never did figure out why, and didn't find out it WAS working until brother had already hurt himself and wouldn't go on anything else. We never went on it.

Even though I explained that FPs could be used later on, that just never happened. My companions wanted to get on rides, so we met each time-frame of the FP for each FP ride.

Therefore, we headed over to Soarin'. We went via the Pacific Wharf area, which was an odd choice, but oh well.

And Soarin' was a HUGE hit! Huge! As we left, SIL asked if we could get another FP for it. Why, yes, yes we can! So we did.

And now I need to ponder what we did next....g'night.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #219
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
What's weird is that wunderground said, beforehand, that the high would be 72, and when I got home, it said that the high that day in Anaheim was only 76...but there was something that was just not working well with me! I saw people wearing sweaters, thick ones on some, ALL day. SIL, who does run cold, wore her sweatshirt most of the day, and had it close at hand the rest of the day. E wasn't sweating (and he's like me in that department) at all, not even while running around the Redwood area.

Just odd.

But then, last year at R's (then) company's summer picnic, I took myself to the first aid tent, for a nice sitdown with water and ice packs, so it does seem I can overheat. I've GOT to get this weight off, b/c I'm sure that's what is causing it. Or at least, if it isn't the cause, take off the weight b/c I'd be happier without it!
time to break out those Richard Simmons tapes or dvds and start that sweating. This is the voice of someone living it.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 AM   #220
kaoden39
Hugs

Yay Eamon!! That is a wonderful score for a five year old. I think that's great. Heck in a few years he'll dust all of the adults.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #221
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

Yeah Molly. Glad you had fun. I am taking two newbies in October and am a little worried that they will slow down our fun a bit, but hope the excitement of sharing something we love with people we love will make it worth while.

We went to Wildwaves/ Enchanted Village on Friday with some newbies. It is funny when people say they want to go and are excited about it, but then you get there and in reality they don't like rides and are afraid of the water, etc.... What are they thinkin??
Old 06-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #222
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
time to break out those Richard Simmons tapes or dvds and start that sweating. This is the voice of someone living it.
Oh I know how to do it, I just haven't done it. Sad to be an exercise science major yet not exercise...I used to say it was b/c I had worked my buns off since junior high...running, then aerobics (at the RS Anatomy Asylum, actually!) through HS, then Crew during college, then working out HARD every morning at the best YMCA I've been to (Spartanburg, SC), then while I had my practice in VA (best Gold's Gym ever, in or near Burke VA...was and maybe still is owned by two former Olympians who have a son who was doing professional ice skating in the 90s). I moved to WA and I was just TIRED.

Yeah, well, now it's been almost 10 years since I moved back! I let my mental state ruin me...I was actually quite small when DS was 2, but I REFUSED to believe it. I was 5 lbs over "wedding weight", which wasn't that *light*, but I was small thanks to Pilates. That 5 lbs bugged me SO MUCH I gave it all up! Stupid stupid stupid.

Yesterday, without the watchful eye of my fit-fit-fit brother and sister in law, I ate more than I should, and was full ALL day. It did not feel good! At all! I'm really hoping I've learned my dang lesson at long last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenDoOver View Post
We went to Wildwaves/ Enchanted Village on Friday with some newbies. It is funny when people say they want to go and are excited about it, but then you get there and in reality they don't like rides and are afraid of the water, etc.... What are they thinkin??
Afraid of water but they wanted to go to WW? Yes, what were they thinking????

If you can get them to know that you really do know your stuff, things will go better than if they are questioning you. And try to not question yourself. If you make a decision, commit to it, don't show weakness, LOL. It's hard for my brother to admit I'm an expert in anything, but I think I've proven myself with Disneyland at last.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #223
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team

Wow, Eamon scored more than I did on TSMM.I need more practice!

Did you ever cool off on this trip?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #224
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Yeah, I went to First Aid, got an ice pack, the nurse wet a strong paper towel to put around my neck, and at some point I finally did.

I seem to always get to First Aid for some reason or another! The nurse who helped me chatted awhile...said that they were there because Walt directly caused the first aid station to be there...it was very important to him. Because they don't make money for the parks, and because they cost a whole lotta money, it's always been very important that it was pretty much a Walt mandate, that there be trained medical staff on hand. She said that other parks are copying it now, which is good.

I don't recall what time I went there...sometimes around lunch, I think. So pretty early on. It took awhile longer to cool down though.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #225
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Yeah, I went to First Aid, got an ice pack, the nurse wet a strong paper towel to put around my neck, and at some point I finally did.

I seem to always get to First Aid for some reason or another! The nurse who helped me chatted awhile...said that they were there because Walt directly caused the first aid station to be there...it was very important to him. Because they don't make money for the parks, and because they cost a whole lotta money, it's always been very important that it was pretty much a Walt mandate, that there be trained medical staff on hand. She said that other parks are copying it now, which is good.

I don't recall what time I went there...sometimes around lunch, I think. So pretty early on. It took awhile longer to cool down though.

That just goes to show how far ahead of his time Walt was.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: