Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #196
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I think Toocherie and I are on the same page about certain rides we don't like, from what I have seen in other threads!!

Anyway, I agree with everyone here - I didn't like the idea of DCA at first, and even the first time I went there I had a hard time kind of getting into a groove. But it has really grown on me now. One time my friend said about DCA, "But it [DCA] is just so....small..."

And I said, "Bigger is not necessarily better." (Okay, I handed it to you on a silver platter - go ahead, chuckle!) Seriously, though, it is nice to have a 'smaller' and less crowded park to escape to when DL gets too dense with people. Plus, I love me some Toy Story Midway Mania, and will never ever ever miss a chance to go on that. So DCA is a must-do every trip now. Besides, when more new attractions begin to open and the transformation of the park becomes more visible, I have a hunch that DCA will not be as un-crowded and pleasant as it has been thus far.

Molly - don't forget the picture of the red, sparkly Mickey earrings!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 06-22-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #197
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I didn't either not really, but I was expecting it to be more Disney. The next time I went I was thrilled with it. I have never been on Grizzly, I have a daughter who doesn't like rides that you get wet on so I usually st with her. I told her that this time I am trying it. She is old enough to sit by herself. She is 16, by the time I was her age I was ditching my parents and doing what I wanted.
Definitely get yourself on GRR! Last time, we were with a family who had left a friend off the ride b/c she didn't want to get her hair wet. Ugh. And the girls were probably around 16...definitely OK for someone to hang out on the benches for 15 minutes or so.

From the first moment we went into DCA we loved it.

However, that was after two trips where we scoffed at it, from outside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Molly - don't forget the picture of the red, sparkly Mickey earrings!!
I keep meaning to take a better picture, but for now this will have to do.

Imagine the color/sparkle somewhere in between these two, and not blurry.

Oh, the one thing about them...they come out of your ears. So you need the backing things, and alas I lost one as soon as I took the earring off the backing! It is so tiny, it just disappeared in my bathroom. Note to self, when off to Target today (E's cheapie arm floaties sprang leaks so I'm getting him a swim vest), see if they have backings to keep the earrings on.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #198
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I keep meaning to take a better picture, but for now this will have to do.

Imagine the color/sparkle somewhere in between these two, and not blurry.

Oh, the one thing about them...they come out of your ears. So you need the backing things, and alas I lost one as soon as I took the earring off the backing! It is so tiny, it just disappeared in my bathroom. Note to self, when off to Target today (E's cheapie arm floaties sprang leaks so I'm getting him a swim vest), see if they have backings to keep the earrings on.
Ooooh! Those are really cute! And they look like they are not too big and cumbersome. I have this big, honkin' pair of Mickey hoop earrings that I got during my earrings phase in the '80s/'90s and they are literally too heavy and big to hang from my lobes (which begs the question...WHY did I buy them back then? And I have no clue why!! But these red, sparkly numbers look like they are a good size. I would actually buy those if I saw them, even though I don't wear a lot of red. I have trouble with losing those backing things too. They are just so tiny that one they tumble to the floor/carpet, it is almost impossible to ever find them again!

Thanks for posting the pictures. I may have to seek those earrings out - you said you got them in the DLH gift shop?

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 06-19-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #199
BillyFan
My white-trashiest chefy moment ever
I, for one have had a Billy Hill Buzz more once
And thanks so much for warming up the boyfriend for us

Hey Molly! I hope your plans work out. Do you think they'd like the Animation building? If so, that could be a great place to drop them off for a bit.

BillyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #200
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team
I had no idea that we shrink as the day goes on

LOve the earrings!

Quote:
I've been whining and moaning, but I'm done with that.

Unless things change, DCA will see us early on Sunday! I am very sad that Cheryl will be totally out of town. But I am happy that she will be having fun in Vegas, baby!

We'll do the usual...get there early. I'm glad it's a MM day so the lots will be open early, and we can very likely get there for DCA gate opening. Soarin' of course, to the line-up for TSMM, so that they can see the beauty of that ride without having to wait very long.

I've written down all the attractions, and I'm slowly finding out what people might want to do. I have a feeling I'll end up on Mulholland Madness, b/c it's such a jerky coaster, and the fam doesn't do well with jerky coasters. I also doubt they'll go on Grizzly, b/c I imagine they are no-poncho types, and also no-getting-wet types. Sigh. I'll have to find out what they've fallen in love with, and put them on that, while E and I have a couple turns on GRR.

And so on. My planning always falls apart about a quarter of the way through, b/c I start thinking "well how do I know we'll want to do THAT?"...but I'm trying to power through that feeling and just DO IT. Better to have a crazy plan than have half a plan, eh?

FPs at DCA:

Soarin'
Grizzly (sometimes)
Screamin'
Mulholland?
TOT

Did I miss one?

I figure I'll be the "runner". Set them on something they enjoy, or put them in a store with E (as they keep mentioning, they want to buy him a b'day present), LOL, and run off for a FP.

I need to figure out what E will wear, probably budget for a locker, too. If only for waters, right?

That's all for now, want to go back to my lists on paper for the moment...
I am sure they will be flexible with the plans you set forth. I mean, they are willing to go in the first place. I know what it is like to make plans for others...it is stressful.

I would totally ride GRR with you! At least you have E!

Quote:
I think Soarin' is a great bet. You might want to send them to the WHarf area to go to the Tortilla factory and Boudins. Oh and what about wine tasting for them while you do Grizzly?
That is a great idea! They can sip some wine while you and Eamon get your GRR-on!

daisy_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #201
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

The only problem with riding GRR next trip is I am planning it for December but I am going to give it the old college try.

You earrings are adorable.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #202
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
...(which begs the question...WHY did I buy them back then?...
Because it was the 80s or 90s! As a female, especially in CA, you had to get huge earrings. I still have so many of the earrings I bought from Nordstrom in the 80s...I might be able to make a small "killing" if I were willing to part with them!

I went to Target and bought a pair of clearance dangly earrings that had the backings on them...the earrings turned out to be kinda cute (and very 80s'ish), so it's a double score for only 1.98. They (the mickey earrings) aren't going to match what I plan to wear tomorrow, but oh well! Hmm, maybe I'll run in and get a different color...if memory serves they had blue, red, and one other color...

And yes I finally found them at the DLH giftshop (Fantasia, I believe). I'm sure they are elsewhere, but I really only looked in DCA for them. Though I did scour WOD and didn't find them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyFan View Post
Hey Molly! I hope your plans work out. Do you think they'd like the Animation building? If so, that could be a great place to drop them off for a bit.
I sure hope they want to hang out in there! I'm sure they'll like some parts of it...hoping they want to draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy_77 View Post
I am sure they will be flexible with the plans you set forth. I mean, they are willing to go in the first place. I know what it is like to make plans for others...it is stressful.
Good point!

They are so sweet about it, too. They see it as a day spending time with their nephew while he has a great time, and they like that. They are in a wonderful position where the money for a day's ticket (they refuse to buy an AP or even the summer pass unless we promise we'll be back in time to use it...hmm, maybe I'll make that promise!) is not anything to even blink at, and that's a little bit less pressure, but it is one of my SIL's precious days off and she wants it to be a good day, which adds the pressure back, LOL. She's coming up on make-or-break *will I be offered a partnership* time so you can just imagine how hard she's working!

Quote:
The only problem with riding GRR next trip is I am planning it for December but I am going to give it the old college try.
FWIW, it was during our December '07 trip that I first tried it. At night! Well, after dark...not really *nighttime*. And it was drizzly (which was why my guys went back to the hotel, b/c they were unhappy).

I would just be sure to lug a warm sweatshirt or something with you, and maybe some wool blend socks to change into, just in case your socks get wet (the wool blend can protect your feet from possibly wet shoes, if you don't want to bring extra shoes), and try to wear something quick-drying on your bottom half. If you are a poncho-type, wear that, and put everything into the free lockers! On that first GRR ride, I couldn't find the lockers, and carried my bag-with-camera with me, but put my poncho around the bag, which exposed my entire leg to the "open" side of the raft (there are two openings where you step in, and sitting at that opening can cause you to get more wet than sitting on the "inside"), and so that whole leg was wet and COLD. Whoops! So just take yourself (and your locker ticket, LOL, in some protected spot like a lanyard pouch) on the ride and have fun! If you're not a poncho person, you might want to bring more clothes, but you can still have fun even if you get momentarily cold.

This trip has been so good for me! I have already dropped a good amount of squish, it's great. And E is learning to swim which is so great. His arm floaties developed leaks so I bought him a Speedo swim vest at Target yesterday, oh the freedom for his arms is amazing! My brother and I were just looking at each other in amazement at the improvement from the first swimming day when we got here... I took video to show Robert, speaking of which I need to find my cable to send that off to him!

Robert has started the drug to help his pituitary thing, and will be taking another hormone to help the other problems caused by the pituitary thing. I mentioned on the Divas thread that he'll be injecting HCG, which causes him amusement since it's a "performance enhancing" drug that Manny Ramirez is currently in trouble for.

And while we've been gone, most excellent things have happened with his job. First his contract has been extended. Next, he got a call from a recruiter from his old job. They couldn't schedule interviews during times he wasn't working, so he decided to NOT be sneaky, and went immediately to his supervisors, letting them know about the recruiter call. They went into *action*, working out plans to get Robert stability, more money (b/c they found out the tech placement company isn't following their contract with what they are paying R), and getting a future plan together for him. INCREDIBLE! It was a fine line, telling them without having an offer, but they adore him and want him to stay. One said "oh that isn't good" and the other said "oh that's BAD", when he told them about the recruiter call.

He loves being loved by his employers! He's so worth it, but it's hard for him to believe.

Things are looking up.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #203
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team
I had no idea that we shrink as the day goes on

Quote:

Good point!

They are so sweet about it, too. They see it as a day spending time with their nephew while he has a great time, and they like that. They are in a wonderful position where the money for a day's ticket (they refuse to buy an AP or even the summer pass unless we promise we'll be back in time to use it...hmm, maybe I'll make that promise!) is not anything to even blink at, and that's a little bit less pressure, but it is one of my SIL's precious days off and she wants it to be a good day, which adds the pressure back, LOL. She's coming up on make-or-break *will I be offered a partnership* time so you can just imagine how hard she's working!
I am sure they will have a blast! Eamon is worth taking a day off! He is so precious.

Quote:
I have already dropped a good amount of squish, it's great.

Good job on Eamon for having swimming skilllz!

daisy_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #204
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Molly--have a great day tomorrow--I'm sure things will go great with the in-laws!

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:37 AM   #205
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

There were a few blips (mainly involving me almost having heatstroke, and brother's pulled muscle being aggravated while on the Ladybug Boogie), but otherwise it was a terrific day!

I think I'm a little sunburned, probably b/c I was sweating from 9:40am on, and likely didn't have sunscreen on 3 minutes after I applied and re applied and re applied and so on.

I'll write later on, I'm tired.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 AM   #206
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

Oh, those hot days at DL. I have spent a few of those and it is difficult to keep protected. The one benefit is that regardless of how much you drink, you seldom have to use the facilities because all you body fluids are exiting through your pores! Glad you had a great day despite the challenges!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #207
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

What you described, Molly, is exactly what I endure during summer heat. I have always overheated fast - no matter what age or size I was, or how thin or thick I was, or what level of health. I am super senstive to heat and I burn in 5 minutes and sweat throughout the day (fair Irish skin). Then, I get nauseous and feel faint and then extremely exhausted. I even get ill sitting INSIDE my apartment during really hot days! This is exactly why I am not jumping for joy at having to get my Fun Card in the peak of July, so I think my DLR day trip will be super fast next month. People who don't have that problem don't understand why it is a problem for others!

But your near-heatstroke aside, I am glad you had yet another great trip (albeit, a quickie) and I can't wait to hear about it! Someone started a thread yesterday about wanting info on DLH Concierge (I think it was Boo Bear), and I quickly jumped on to post the link to your Trip Report (I love to pimp out my DIS-friends' great Trip Reports!!) as well as the link to Pycees312's great conciege pictures from all 3 hotels. But make sure to look for that thread in case you want to add something to it.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #208
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The strange thing was that I started sweating at 9:40, almost exactly, and didn't stop for hours and hours. Not normal sweat. This was where my head was sweating while we were inside the Soarin' building...where it's nice and cool. It was freaky and really worried my Sis in law especially! I remember when it started...I'd told the fam to continue along up towards GCH as I jumped over to get everyone FPs for Soarin', then couldn't find them and went up the hill while calling them...they were down "cooling their jets" at that big water mister thing, and as I walked back *down* the hill to meet them, it started.

So weird.

And even though I have 4 blisters from my Crocs Athens, my bones were happy all day and today, and that is all that matters for me.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #209
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Gosh Molly! You poor thing. I was so hoping that you would have a great time.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #210
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We did have a good time, I just looked like I had just washed my hair for 3/4 of the day!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: