Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What should I do with Thanksgiving time reservation?
Keep it the week AFTER Thanksgiving even if it means taking out of school. 21 80.77%
Switch week to Thanksgiving week ...pay more, deal with more crowds but not miss school. 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
barefootMom
Mouseketeer

Is Thanksgiving week just too crowded?

Hi-I currently have a trip planned starting the Saturday following Thanksgiving due to a 40% pin code for that week. I am starting to be a little hesitant to take my 2 daughters out of school (ok, they are only 3rd grade and Kindergarten) for that long and wonder if I should try to change it to that Thanksgiving week since they have that week off (except Monday). I know the price would be higher but I am more concerned with how much higher the CROWD level will be. Is it crazy that week? Should I just stay with what I have?
barefootMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
TomD
Mouseketeer

I voted for the week after Thanksgiving if it is doable for your family. We went Thanksgiving 08 and yes there were crowds but they were managable with some planning. We went in the mornings and evenings. The afternoon was pool time or nap time.

Thanksgiving 09 with this economy I think will be managable also.

We have also gone after Thanksgiving and had a great time.crowds were lower.

Decorations will be up both times.

Good luck with your decision. Either way you will have a great time in a magical place
TomD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
KristyBDJ
NDM #77

I also have the week after Thanksgiving booked, also with a 40% pin!! Aren't we lucky Anyway, I haven't actually been at that time but from the research I've done I went with the week after. Everything has told me that it's one of the best times to go because of low crowd levels. And even if you can afford Thanksgiving week, why pay it...really? Assuming you got the same offer I did, the week of Thanksgiving was a blackout so you couldn't get the 40% pin on it. I don't know if you're familiar with "Touring Plans" from the "Unofficial Guide to WDW"...the crowd levels for the week of Thanksgiving are ALL 9's which is crazy busy. The week you currently have booked is all 5's and 6's w/ the exception of Sat the 5th which is a 9. Basically we decided on the week after for these reasons: low crowd levels, nice weather, value season prices and all the Christmas decor. is up, parties and parades are in full swing etc. We are also taking our son out school(2nd grade) I figure at that age...how much do they really miss? Hope this helps. And since it looks like we may be there at the same time...where are you staying? Maybe we'll run into eachother!

Is there a 12 step program for Disney Addicts? I sure hope NOT!!
Me DH: DS10 DD6 DS4 DD2 DS13mos
KristyBDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
jb01
DIS Veteran

I would keep it the week you have. In my opinion it will be more enjoyable when it isn't so crowded.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
MellyBeans
Mouseketeer

I went the week of Thanksgiving back in '99. Keep in mind that was a long time ago now, BUT, it was a very enjoyable trip. I do not remember very high crowds at all, and I think most attractions were near walk-ons. The weather was also beautiful. I do remember that we didn't attempt a park on actual Thanksgiving, but opted to stay at our time share (off site), and I think we may have gone to Down Town Disney to see a movie.

2012 Pop Century 30th Birthday get-a-way , 2011 Pop Century, 2009 CSR *Engaged in front of the Castle* , 2008 Disneyland, 2007 ASMu, 1999 Off Site, 1993 Off Site, 1991 Off Site
MellyBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Hi!
1st grade teacher here

I would pull my kids out of school and go, absolutely. If fact, I do it myself every year.
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
kadesha
DIS Veteran

We went this year for part of Thanksgiving week. Our first day was the Thursday before Thanksgiving. (pulled the kids out Thursday and Friday before Thanksgiving week) We had such great weather and the crowds were not bad at all. We stayed until Wednesday. (the day before Thanksgiving) The crowds didn't really pick up until Tuesday. Tuesday was a rough day but we did ok because we had a plan. I wouldn't hesitate to go this time of year again, it was wonderful for the most part.

Last trips: August 2006, May 2007, November 2008, June 2009, and May 2012

Kadesha
Al
Alyssa
Destiny
kadesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I would keep the week you have. Thanksgiving week is not too bad till Wed then it is heavy crowds from Wed -Sunday.Plus it costs more.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
carolmp
Mouseketeer

I would pull the kids out and go the week after Thanksgiving. We have been two times for that week and once for the week of Thanksgiving. We are going again this year the week of Thanksgiving.

Granted, it's been 10 years since we were there the week after Thanksgiving, but basically there weren't any lines. We walked on to all of the major rides, or waited 5 minutes at the most. I remember absolutely no lines at Space Mountain. Thanksgiving week wasn't so bad early in the week, but picked up as it got closer to Thanksgiving. It wasn't that bad, but when we knew what the week after Thanksgiving was like, it was a lot more crowded! It used to be posted that the two weeks immediately following Thanksgiving were the least crowded weeks of the year. I'm not sure if that is still the case, but I would think that it would be pretty close!

I would expect that the park hours will be shorter the week after Thanksgiving. We found that several of the parks closed at 6:00, with only Epcot open later and MK open later on the weekends. That worked out OK, since the lower crowds allowed us to get through everything we wanted and we could relax in the evening. Thanksgiving week will likely have longer park hours. That may have changed since we were last there. You could check to see what last year's park hours were like.

I have a middle schooler and a high schooler now. If my kids were still in elementary school, I would pull them out and go the week after Thanksgiving. But you don't need to be afraid of Thanksgiving week either.
11/99 All Star Movies
11/04 Carribean Beach
03/08 On the Magic
11/09 All Star Movies
carolmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Pinkpony
Mouseketeer

With kids that young, pull them out of school and go with the lower crowds and the better price. Mine are in high school and we can only pull them out for a few days now, thus, we go during Thanksgiving week. I'd much rather go the week after.
Pinkpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Cinderella

Hi - I went at that time a few years ago and aside from the day of Thanksgiving and the day after, the parks were really quiet.

The only downside was the ressy - I had to split it in three - paying rack rate for thanksgiving, the day before and day after and paying AP rate or the other 5 days.

As others say, it is probably a whole lot easier to go the week before or after but if that is the only time you can go, it will be fine.
Cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
LaurieN
DIS Veteran

I'm going the same week (actually 11/26 thanksgiving day thru 12/4) and was considering changing to the first week of Nov. Basically because we live in NJ and have 2 day off that week so my son would only lose 3 days as opposed to 5. That being said; I am so in love with all things Christmas (and DS7 is too) I can't imagine not going and seeing all the decorations. I've spoken to his current teacher and she agrees at this age take them out of school. There is so much to see in Epcot that it can actually be educational for them so I don't feel as guilt
Keep your week and enjoy you trip gulit free.
Laurie
LaurieN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: