Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
Smile4Me
DIS Veteran

I really enjoy the Animation Studio and definitely think its a not miss- however i've read that if you don't want to sit through the little preshow, and just want to meet characters, I've read that you can go back through the gift shop and do the meet and greets without having to do the entire attraction. I've never done this so please correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #17
IMwink
Mouseketeer

I have to admit, I am surprised at the Feedback on The Magic of Disney Animation.

I thought this would something that you might do while waiting on a FP or just to cool off.

Most guests might not agree but I think this just moved into my do List for my DD(5) and DD(6).

So, Do you get a drawing to take with you as a souvenier from the animator, or is it one that you draw and you get to keep that?

Still might be worth it to see Sorcerer Mickey

Last edited by IMwink; 04-26-2009 at 01:29 AM.
IMwink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2009, 06:34 AM   #18
Brer Shay
compulsive Disney planner

For Character greetings, in the same area as the green army men (and in our experience about five minutes after they come out) you will also see Buzz Lightyear and Woody.

My DD (6 at the time) really liked LMA, way more than I thought she would. She was also a bit nervous at Catastrophe Canyon on the Backlot Tour, even though I told her what to expect.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:48 AM   #19
Danauk
I would be sitting on the patio of the Fontana bar at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas watching the dancing fountains on a warm balmy night whilst sipping vintage Champagne

For RnRC it might be worth mentioning for newbies that this is a launch coaster that launches quickly, is very dark and goes upside down. I love coasters and really enjoy this ride, but my friend decided to brave it one day. She didn't realise that it launched so quickly which put her off (she knew it would be dark and about the loops though.) This might be a bit scary for younger children (who are obviously over the height requirement.) I personally would make RnRC my 2nd ride of the day after Toy Story.
Disneyland Paris: Aug 1998 (off site - honeymoon), Easter 2004 (Hotel New York), Feb 2005 (off site), April 2008 (Hotel New York), October 2008 (Disneyland Hotel), November 2008 (Hotel New York), August 2013, Halloween 2013, New Year 2013/4, August 2014, New Year 2014/15 WDW: August 2003 (Beach Club Villas - 5th anniversary), Christmas/New Year 2005/6 (Beach Club Villas), August 2009 (Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view - 11th anniversary) Disneyland: August 2008 (Grand Californian, theme park view - 10th anniversary)
Danauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #20
neilsalop
Mouseketeer

I can't remember the name, but the book shop (streets of america I think) is a great place to get a coffee and a muffin and chill out for 15 minutes or so.

Just found it 'The Writer's Stop'. Looked at the menu, coffees, muffins, bagels, buns etc. all well priced for a short break and the best thing is no-one knows about it. Damn everyone knows now.

May '96 (villa, Westridge) Xmas '99 (villa, Davenport) Sept '00 (viila, Southern Dunes) Aug '01 (villa, Poincianna) Oct '01 (our villa, Indian Pointe) June '02 (our villa, for the last time) Xmas '08 ([not our]villa, Indian Pointe) Xmas '09 Indian Point. October '10 Same again August '11 August '13 OKW and IDrive

Upcoming trip is our first on site

Last edited by neilsalop; 04-26-2009 at 07:19 AM.
neilsalop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:18 AM   #21
Danauk
I would be sitting on the patio of the Fontana bar at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas watching the dancing fountains on a warm balmy night whilst sipping vintage Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsalop View Post
I can't remember the name, but the book shop (streets of america I think) is a great place to get a coffee and a muffin and chill out for 15 minutes or so.
Oh, yeah, I second that idea, we love doing that. Plus they have great imagineering books in there to buy, we have quite a few from there now!
Disneyland Paris: Aug 1998 (off site - honeymoon), Easter 2004 (Hotel New York), Feb 2005 (off site), April 2008 (Hotel New York), October 2008 (Disneyland Hotel), November 2008 (Hotel New York), August 2013, Halloween 2013, New Year 2013/4, August 2014, New Year 2014/15 WDW: August 2003 (Beach Club Villas - 5th anniversary), Christmas/New Year 2005/6 (Beach Club Villas), August 2009 (Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view - 11th anniversary) Disneyland: August 2008 (Grand Californian, theme park view - 10th anniversary)
Danauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #22
IMwink
Mouseketeer

Just checking back in to see what I need to update. Looks like I've got a little to do here.

Keep the info coming

Old 04-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #23
BabaGanoush
Lives above Tusker House

More tips for DHS:

1. If you dont really care about Fantasmic, go to the Studios on a day when it is not playing. Your life will be made much easier as the park's attendance is really driven by it. It will be the difference between 30-40 minute waits on TSM, ToT, and RnR and 60+ minutes.

2. The ATAS Hall of Fame is simply a small courtyard in front of American Idol with busts of various celebrities. Possible picture opportunity but thats it.

3. The Green Army Men often have a small interactive show out in front of Sounds Dangerous where they recruit kids into doing various 'soldier' activities. Quite funny.

4. Interact with the streetmosphere characters on Hollywood and Sunset Blvd. Often is the most fun you may have. Personal favorite sketches - the best joke contest (99 footballs walk into a bar. The bartender says we dont serve your kind in here. The footballs say, thats too bad... we were looking to get blitzed).

5. Best free souvenir - The animation studio where you get to keep your drawing! (and sometimes, if you ask nicely and no one else has, you can even get the animator to give you his/her drawing).

6. Know the difference between a top loading and side loading theater and which ones are which. For top loaders, the first guests into the attraction will enter from the top of the theater and have their choice of seats. They will be asked to squeeze to the middle when the theater is busy. Examples at DHS are Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones, and Lights, Motor, Action.

Side Loaders are theaters where guests enter from one side of the theater and exit from the other. This includes Muppetvision, Little Mermaid, and the new American Idol Experience. All 3-D movies at all Disney Parks are side loaders. With these theaters, if you want to sit in the middle, you DO NOT want to be the first guests in the doors as they will be asked to choose a row and continue to the far end of the row. When an attraction is busy, cast members will be very insistent and will not have much sympathy for those that complain they have been waiting far longer and should get a middle seat. It is simply how the theater was designed. So - the tip is, dont be the first in the door and then simply choose the row that best situates you in the middle (if that is where you want to be).

7. Best coffee can be located at the Writers Stop in between the Sci Fi Dine In and the Streets of America. They also have some huge cookies, rice krispie treats, and cinnamon rolls. Three different types of gourmet hot chocolate can be found here for the kiddos as well. My favorite place to stop before the Spectacle of Dancing Lights during holiday season.

8. Not a fan of the counter service food here. I would avoid the ABC Commissary at all costs. The Studio Catering Co used to have Flatbreads which were interesting but I think they changed that up and went for more stock fare. I do think Pizza Planet serves the best pizza of any Disney CS but that is not saying much.

9. One of my favorite mid day activities is One Man's Dream. Part of me says it should be required for every guest to check out but the other part of me screams that this would make it way too busy. It is a great place to cool off and one can take it pretty casual. The film at the end may have the kids becoming somewhat restless but is great for adults to check out. This place is a Disney nerds dream.

10. Beauty & the Beast is cool once and thats it. Becoming a bit dated and they nixed the great pre-show. It was the only reason to go back for me (thus, I dont go back anymore). Those with little girls will eat it up though.

11. If you want to be an extra in Indiana Jones, arrive early and be prepared to go nuts immediately when the casting director asks for volunteers. Its a fun thing to do after you have seen the show once. Plus, if you go with friends who have never been, they get a kick out of seeing a friend on the stage. Honestly, every time I have TRIED to get into the show, I have succeeded.

Thats it for now... feel free to ask questions.

My Dad and I on Expedition Everest!
Baba Ganoush!
BabaGanoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #24
IMwink
Mouseketeer

BabaGanoush,

this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

I changed my ADRs and day at the park so I could go to Fantasmic, but maybe I might change it back. My old ADRs are probably gone now though, oh well, I'll just have to be more patient.

How early should we arrive for B&TB? With July crowds.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #25
Tabcans
Earning My Ears

forgive my upcomming brain fart, but the vending cart at hollywood studio, has these coated nuts that are just fantastic.........my kids are out or I'd ask them what the heck they are called..........they are made fresh right then & there and sell out right away & then there is another 15 minute wait for the guy to get another batch going, so if you spot the cart (usually on the central street near the stunt cars) run, don't walk to get your bag.
Tabcans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #26
amamax2
DIS Veteran

subbing
amamax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #27
BabaGanoush
Lives above Tusker House

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMwink View Post
BabaGanoush,

this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

I changed my ADRs and day at the park so I could go to Fantasmic, but maybe I might change it back. My old ADRs are probably gone now though, oh well, I'll just have to be more patient.

How early should we arrive for B&TB? With July crowds.
Regarding Fantasmic in July & park crowds - I dont know what kind of effect it will have at that time because I dont know if they are going to an every day show schedule during the busy summer. Over Spring Break, they did switch to showing Fantasmic almost every night due to demand. The park is probably going to be busy regardless so I would just go with what you have now. That first tip was more for non-peak season (atleast in regards to stated wait times).

For Beauty & the Beast, arrival time is really dictated by where you want to be in the theater. Since you have a couple young girls, do you want to be close to the action (ie. middle section in front of the tech booth)? If so, you may want to be there 30 - 45 minutes early. If not, you should be ok with 15-20 minutes. If it is a must do and you have to see it at a specific time, give yourself some extra time.

I have found that if you ask a cast member working an attraction how far in advance you should be there for a show, they will inflate that number by about 15 minutes because they want to protect themselves from giving out bad info (otherwise someone will come back and complain that so and so said I could come back 15 minutes before the show and get in when they werent able to). So... if cast members are saying 30 minutes... the theater may get close to filling about 10-15 minutes prior to the show. If cast members say 15 minutes, it probably means the shows are not filling to capacity and you could get in as long as you show up before start time. May not be the best seat in the house but you will see the show.

My Dad and I on Expedition Everest!
Baba Ganoush!
BabaGanoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #28
IMwink
Mouseketeer

Just Checking In on the post

Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #29
Chuck-PA
DIS Veteran

Street Performers - A MUST DO

We make sure we stop to enjoy the street performers every trip.
Our favorites are Public Works. They are the 3 of the funniest men around.
They perform by Hollywood and Vine restaurant. They remind us of a bit of Abbott and Costello, Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin etc...old time play on words and slapstick.

We have also enjoyed Bucky Greenhorn and Otto Van Bahn Bahn.
Their routine is performed as a producer with his actor/stage hand. Funny performances here. Bucky has gotten Otto to laugh sort of like Tim Conway did with Harvey Korman on the old Carol Burnett shows.

Everyone of the street performers we have seen we have enjoyed.
So I would put these down as a not to miss.
They are not advertised on the schedule so you have to look near the front of the park or on the street leading to Tower of Terror.
Chuck-PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #30
IMwink
Mouseketeer

Updated some info

Tags
guide, hollywood studios, secrets, tips, tricks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: