Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
cubfanjen
Earning My Ears

Should I avoid EMH parks?

We'll be at DW in January for a long weekend. We've got 3 days in the park. I was initially planning to do HS, Epcot, then end with MK. But now I found out that the evening parade is going to be closed starting on that last day when we were supposed to be at MK. So I swapped my plans for the 1st and 3rd days (so now it's MK, E, HS). But now I'm realizing that we'll be hitting MK and HS on days when they have EMH in the a.m. Normally, that's a good thing. But I expect that my boys (ages 5 & 7) will tire quickly. So an extra hour in the morning, means that they'll probably not last as long into the evening. And I keep reading on here how crowded the EMH are. Would we be better to avoid those parks on the days they have EMH to maybe find smaller crowds at the other parks?? Or do a lot of people park hop and leave the EMH park after that extra hour?? We did a lot of park hopping last time, and don't plan to do any this time (though I still have a day or so left on our park hoppers...this time I bought tix without that option).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
jen
cubfanjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Some love the evening hours. I dislike them... The mornings work well for me as you get to the parks before the normal public and before those Disney guests that are not morning people. We have found that the parks fill over the day and then when they go into the extra night hour all of those guests that were already in the park just compress into the few rides that are still open for the extra night hour (not all of the rides are open during the hour plus a good number of the stores also close). For example, last December Soarin' had a two hour wait during the day and during the extra magic night hour the wait was 90min... We hit is during the morning hour and the wait was 20min...
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Generally avoid, yes. Visiting the low crowd park/s each day/night will give you a better experience.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

This is a hotly debated topic around here and you will probably get answers from both sides of the camp.

I avoid morning EMH's, because it generally means the park will be more crowded later in the day.

If you plan to park hop, morning EMH's can be useful if you start the day in the park with the EMHs, and then move to another park in the late morning.

But since you said you won't be park hopping, my advice is to avoid going to the park with morning EMH's.
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
ChattaAlley
DIS Veteran

I love the morning EMH. Everything is practically a walk on (except TSMM). The only time the evening EMH works for me is when MK is open till 2 or 3. And that last hour or two it is practically dead.

With a little bit of PixieDust anything is possible . . .

ChattaAlley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Lynn57
DIS Veteran

Since you won't be park hopping, I would avoid the EMH parks. When I park hop I use them so I can be out of that park earlier and then head to one of the parks rated to have smaller crowds.
Feb. 2006- Animal Kingdom Lodge- Jambo House
April 2007- Beach Club Villas
Feb. 2011- Bay Lake Towers
Dec. 2011- Villas at Wilderness Lodge
Sept. 2012- Boardwalk Villas (Tower of Terror 10 Mile!)
April 2013- Old Key West
April 2014- Old Key West
Lynn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Hootch
DIS Veteran

I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn57 View Post
Since you won't be park hopping, I would avoid the EMH parks. When I park hop I use them so I can be out of that park earlier and then head to one of the parks rated to have smaller crowds.
second this. We often go to morning EMH, but we also park hop. Normally morning EMH and back to the resort for an afternoon break and then another park. Sometimes we hit three parks in a day.

Our experience is that the EMH park gets really crowded around noon. Of course that is in the summer when the aprks are more crowded.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

I've been to a few EMHs. Sometimes they are great. Sometimes they are not. It's hard to predict which sort of day it will be until you get there.

In contrast, non-EMH days are nearly *always* great.

So, I tend to play the odds and avoid EMH unless I have a very specific reason for one.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

We attend the EMHs and enjoy them without hopping. It's really what's best for your group! It's usually just DFi and I so we don't mind the crowd if there is one.
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Virtucomp
DIS Veteran

This is the way we approch EMH. If we cannot get to the park early enough to use the morning EMH then I would avoid the park. If we have hoppers then morning EMH is fine since we can bail out of the park when it gets over crowded like MK.

Evening EMH are different. If the option is MK until 2AM or Epcot until 10PM then I'm going with 2AM at MK. I always take time in the park over going back to the hotel early. My kids are older and the whole family is more night people so staying late is not an issue. If you have young ones who would have a meltdown by 11PM anyway they avoid the evening EMH parks.

When we have hoppers we usually plan a park in the morning and then go back to the room to freshen up and then head to the night park for evening EMH. In the summertime those short breaks in the room to freshen up help a lot.

I have not tried this yet but recently heard that visiting MK on the morning after evening EMH is great especially with young ones who are early risers. Most will not stay til 1 or 2AM and then head back to the same park the next morning.
Aug 1990 Fort Wilderness Camp, Nov 2000 All Star Movie, Oct 2003 All Star Music, May 2005 Pop, June 2006 Pop, Aug 2007 POFQ, May 2010 POFQ, Dec 2011 Caribbean Beach, May 2013 Boardwalk, September 2014 Coronado Springs Food & Wine Festival, December 2014 First Disneyland Trip
Virtucomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
W.E.D.
Haunted Mansion junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg1027 View Post
If you plan to park hop, morning EMH's can be useful if you start the day in the park with the EMHs, and then move to another park in the late morning.

THIS! This was our exact plan two weeks ago and it worked out perfectly. If you have the time/money to hop, then by all means use the a.m. EMHs. We walked on 5 rides before the regular 9 a.m. opening at MK.
...hurry back......hurry back......be sure to bring your death certificate.
W.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

My theory for EMH parks:

1. Go to morning EMH if you can
2. Avoid evening EMH unless you have a lot of extra energy to burn
3. Go to the park that had evening EMH the next morning. It's usually quiet.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
dskib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg1027 View Post
This is a hotly debated topic around here and you will probably get answers from both sides of the camp.

I avoid morning EMH's, because it generally means the park will be more crowded later in the day.

But since you said you won't be park hopping, my advice is to avoid going to the park with morning EMH's.
This. I couldn't say it any better myself. If I don't plan on park hopping, I dont do EMH days.

My only exception to this would be if I had to see the evening fireworks at MK and it was only offered on an EMH day. And I'd probably be miserable.
dskib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Jan the parks are empty, the EMH, especially night ones are awesome. You'll have the park practically to yourself. We once rode space mountain 3 times without getting off because there were 0 people in line! Even if the parade/fireworks are on that night, do them.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
Goofy4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfanjen View Post
We'll be at DW in January for a long weekend.
Us too!!! If you can get the attractions that everyone else wants to see done early, then you'll be ok even with the EMH. Thankfully, it's January -- not June, July, Aug, Dec or Spring/Fall break time.

Katrina beat me to it (what she said)
  • 00's ASsp (Nov '01), OKW (Aug '03), BWV (Oct '05), Pop (May '06), ASmu (April '08), Cabins/Kidani(June '09) Trip Report
  • 10's WL (April '10), SSR (Jan '12)
Goofy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: