Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Camyle
Earning My Ears

Location: AZ ~ No beach, No WDW close by, but in my humble opinion we do have the some of the best sunrises & sunsets & star gazing are wonderful here! I love the smell of the desert after it rains, nothing compares to it!!

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater restaurant

Hi Everyone!

Can anyone tell me about their experiences eating at this restaurant?! My DH is a huge B movie fan and unfortunatly we had the worst luck our 1st trip back in 2006 getting any type of TS for most of the sit-down restaurants (we had no idea about making advance reservations so far in advance or that so many people do it!) So know we know that for any TS we would be interested in to make advance reservations!

Is this something a huge B movie fan would enjoy for a nice lunch break one day?

Thanks! 160 Days until WDW!! (sorry I don't know how to put one of those cute count down things up).
Camyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Monorail Bob's dd
DIS Veteran

We went to SciFi a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Very cool atmosphere, yummy food, loved sitting in the cars, and the movies they showed were amusing. I think it is definitely worth checking out.

Poly - '80, '84, '91, CR - '87, '88, BW Villas - '97, POFQ - '07, Marriott Grand Vista - '09, CSR - '10
BWI CL - '11, Yacht Club - '12, AKL - March, 2013, Poly - August, 2013
Monorail Bob's dd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Disney loving Iowan
DIS Veteran

This is one of our favorites and a must do for us everytime. We are big MST3000 fans so this is right up our alley. It is alot of fun. We also like the food too! The only complaint I have is that I wish the loop of movie trailers they show would be bigger so they weren't repeated during your meal.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Launchpad McQuack
Earning My Ears

We just did Sci-Fi for the first time last week, and we all really enjoyed it. In the past we had stayed away, because over all the reviews weren't that positive. I have a 16 year old daughter and a 12 year old son, and I was surprised at how much they enjoyed the experience. The food was good but the experience was really fun, our server was on roller skates, and my daughter couldn't believe that people used to go to movies in their cars.

As far as the movies themselves, they are just promo's of some classic sci-fi movies that run in a loop. We were in the restaurant for a little less than an hour, and we saw them all. My family laughed out loud at some of them, lets just say that special effects have come a long way.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camyle View Post
Hi Everyone!

Can anyone tell me about their experiences eating at this restaurant?! My DH is a huge B movie fan and unfortunatly we had the worst luck our 1st trip back in 2006 getting any type of TS for most of the sit-down restaurants (we had no idea about making advance reservations so far in advance or that so many people do it!) So know we know that for any TS we would be interested in to make advance reservations!

Is this something a huge B movie fan would enjoy for a nice lunch break one day?

Thanks! 160 Days until WDW!! (sorry I don't know how to put one of those cute count down things up).
It's sooooo easy to do! Just click on someone else's count down ticker and it will take you to a website where you can create/customize your own!

We've not been to Sci-Fi yet but we're planning on it for October! My DH is soooo excited to try it out!

Last edited by 3prettyprincesses; 04-24-2009 at 06:42 PM.
3prettyprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

We've been to Sci Fi a ton of times. The food is very mediocre but the setting is so unique that we don't mind having to eat less than stellar food.

The milkshakes are very good.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

It is fantastic if you go for lunch and stick with burgers, chili, fries, onion rings, and milkshakes.

I have some pictures in my review. Just follow this link, and they are at the bottom of the page:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2140831&page=7

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

We also enjoyed our experience at the Sci-Fi! My DS thought it was cool to eat in the car and our server gave him a special "driver's license" at the end of the meal. My DH made sure to tell me he wanted to eat at the place where we "ate in the cars" and said he had the best cherry vanilla coke he's ever had there. One thing to mention that I have read about the place - it can be very dark in some places, including while eating. It didn't damper anything, however. I think you should try it out!
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013. Next: 10/2015 WDW/MNSSHP/F&W
DCL (Platinum): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy, 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I), & 12/2014 Wonder Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread

We love Sci-Fi... will go again next trip! It's a must do for us!

~Be your own inspiration~
Mermaid02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
Camyle
Earning My Ears

Location: AZ ~ No beach, No WDW close by, but in my humble opinion we do have the some of the best sunrises & sunsets & star gazing are wonderful here! I love the smell of the desert after it rains, nothing compares to it!!

Thanks Everyone!

Those burgers look so yummy!! It sounds like this is right up our alley for a nice lunch break - DH loves MST3000 so this will be perfect!

Camyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

We ate lunch there last month, our first time dining there and we absolutely loved it and cannot wait to go back! The burgers and onion rings were fantastic but they tasted better watching the movie clips and cartoons in black and white on the big screen. The restaurant is the quietest TS we have ever been to and the atmosphere is awesome!
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
tink,too
DIS Veteran

We dined there 2 weeks ago for lunch and loved it - can't wait to go back.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
mpetti
DIS Veteran

Red face

We love Sci-Fi we go there every visit. We make a ADR for about 11am to beat the crowds. Both my DS's love it. It's so cool watching the show and sitting in the cars. The food is pretty good too. Last time I had the ribs and loved them. You DH should get a real kick out of it. Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
ellenmiele

Mouseketeer

The food is fine - typical "diner" fare. But the atmosphere and movies are what make the experience. We took our parents there last week - they were reminiscing about their dating days and drive-ins etc.. and they actually remembered some of the movies that we saw clips from. I remember the first time I ate in Sci-Fi, I wasn't sure the movie clips were authentic - I thought Disney imagineered them! But nope - they are the real deal!! And my favorite part are the little "commercials" in between about the snacks - dancing hotdogs and all!

5/02(Poly),4/03(Poly),4/04(WL),10/04(BW),4/05(CR),4/06(AK and GF),4/07(BCV),12/07(SSR), 6/08 (DCL Wonder and BWV), 4/09 (SSR and Poly), 4/10 (AKV-Kidani Village and BLT) 4/11 (Universal HRH for WWoHP and then HHI villas), 4/12 (OKW), 11/12 (BWV for Grandma and Grandpa's 50th anniversary!), 3/13 (OKW), and next we sail the Dream then head on to the Villas at the Grand Floridian!

WL FLAG FAMILY 4/18/04
ellenmiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #15
LaurieN
DIS Veteran

We went to SciFi in May '08...LOVED IT!!! My boys (then 6 & 2) thought the old cartoons were great (they are now huge Tom & Jerry fans); and well getting to eat in a car what a treat for them I have to say we had a GREAT sunday (something with junior mints in it) and my DH said he had the best milk shake he's ever had (and he's had a lot).
Enjoy your trip
Laurie
LaurieN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: