Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
whogirl'smom
Any leftover grumpiness can be taken care of by a little wine
Like a box of Cheez-its, I couldn't put it down

Oh, I forgot to say we really enjoyed taking the train to Conservation Station. I know a lot of people think it's a waste and even our AAA agent told us that a couple of years ago. When we finally went it was a wonderful place to just take your time and rest, enjoy the sheep and goats and see Pocahontas, Jiminy Cricket and Rafiki. We ended up spending about an hour and a half altogther (train ride time included), but dd loved the scavenger hunt at the beginning and the interactive exhibits at the station itself. Sometimes you get lucky and can actually watch an animal being checked by one of the vets.

And yes, Dinosaur is LOUD; that's why we skipped it until dd was 7.5.

whogirl'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #17
IMwink
Mouseketeer

Can you use the Rainforest Cafe entrance when there is EMH in the morning?

We will be there for rope drop. And we will have a stroller (got it at one of the swaps, losing my newbie status to the boards)
IMwink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
Goseethemouse
Mouseketeer

Based on our experiences with kids of 5 and 3 and my opinion:

Unless your kids are fearless, avoid the Dino ride.

If possible, plan in some time to visit the Boneyard playground. It really is fun.

Another low key attraction is the train ride and the petting zoo. I know that is something you can probably do at your local zoo but it is good for some down time in case the kids get over-stimulated.

The bird show is really nice too.

Often there are CMs standing around that will show you special animals/parts of them (like a skull) and explain stuff to you. My son got to touch a lizard and that was quite special.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #19
mdinme
DIS Veteran

Ak

I've walked onto the safari late in the day. Eat the ribs at FT. See flights of wonder, bugs life. Dino will terrify the tots. Rapids late yes.

Have fun.

mdinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
IMwink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarvgirl View Post
Our children really wanted to leave parks for the afternoon when the day got hot. (We had left home during a snowstorm!) So you may have to take the idea of afternoon breaks into consideration when coming up with a touring plan.
Thanks for the info

I do plan on doing a modified commando style. We take breaks often and get into some air conditioned attractions or restaurants to rejuvinate the girls. And I am not the guy that forces the park, I go with the flow and enjoy. I don't have a detailed list by times that I want to do things, but I have a prioritzed list with downtime at the top of it.

I planned on a 10-day ticket, but I decided to save some $$$ and I went with the FREE 5-day that they give to Service members and the discounted tickets for their families.

I had to modify for that. I was planning on going back to the Resort everyday, and hitting each park twice, but not now. Only MK twice.

But I am taking that $$$ and putting it towards the top of the line BBB experience for my two DD'sand the Chef's Table for me and DW.

Last edited by IMwink; 04-24-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #21
IMwink
Mouseketeer

bump

Old 04-25-2009, 05:42 AM   #22
OB1
May the Ears be with you

Great list for a great park. I have not seen anyone list Tough to be a Bug. Beware this attraction with young kids. I can not remember a single visit that I did not hear terrified kids start screaming, then leaving during the film. It is a scary subject for young kids.
OB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #23
pixie2416
Mouseketeer

Check the times guide when you get there. There are acrobats that perform right next to the Kusafiri Bakery (near Kilamanjaro Safari) that are terrific. There is covered seating. So you can grab a snack and enjoy the show.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #24
DaveStroem
DIS Veteran

It looks like you have a lot of it covered. One thing we noticed at the turnstiles on the far right side is one marked for CMs & CMs with guests. This is open to anyone and there was a much shorter line then the other turnstiles.

Here was what we did in late March.

Yes, it was a lot of walking and was based on the show times for that week. But it was a wonderful day. We did this RD till about 5 and added a couple of character meet & greets too. We did end up skipping FOW and rode EE there before the parade.

Top 10 Tips for Disney Noobies
RideMax Users Thread
DaveStroem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #25
Shelton123
Ahh girly drama *runs away*
yeah yeah yeah I know I'm so damn original blah blah blah
A zipline? What do you mean a zipline? That's preposterous; I thought everyone knew that she flies!

One of my Dsister's favorite rides was Dinosaur, when she was 7. It's probably the scariest in WDW, though it's not a coaster.

Shelton123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #26
IMwink
Mouseketeer

Strange what scares Kids

In March I took my DDs to Bush Gardens and Universal.

DD(6) was fine on everything. She wasn't big enough to get on the Big kid Roller coasters but Busch Gardens had one that Both DDs could go on and it went upside down. DD(6) was wimpering the whole ride, and I think DD(4) was just to scared to make a sound. We sat in the very front. I'm a mean daddy. After the ride, they said that it scared them, but 1 hour later they were wanting to go back on it.

DD(4) got scared on the Jurasic park, Spiderman and the Terminator rides. Terminator and Spiderman were just too real for her. But it was mainly the 3-D effects and the loud noises. once she took the glasses off she was OK on the Spiderman, but Terminator was definitly too much. I talk to my kids, yes even at 4yrs about violence. I don't think violent shows are bad if you just talk to them about it and don't take them on rides like the terminator. That was a mistake.

I can't see Disney make It's a Bugs Life that bad? What is it about the show that scares little kids? Is it the 3-D?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #27
karly05
DIS Veteran

The main scare factor of "Tough to be a Bug" involves Hopper turning up to complain about how humans treat bugs, and turning the tables on the audience, with various scary/menacing effects. As an adult and big Bug's Life fan, I love this attraction, but I probably would have been freaked out as a youngster.

Do try to go see the tigers (Maharajah Jungle Trek). In '99, we went at the end of the day (like 4:30 or so), and the tigers were right up by the glass viewing area. They are gorgeous!
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #28
OB1
May the Ears be with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by karly05 View Post
Do try to go see the tigers (Maharajah Jungle Trek). In '99, we went at the end of the day (like 4:30 or so), and the tigers were right up by the glass viewing area. They are gorgeous!
YES YES YES
Our last trip, we went 3 times, and they were snoozing every time. The time before, I watched a trainer throw hamburger over the fence to them, and they were very active. Seen them play with a ball in the water also. Amazing creatures.
OB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #29
Disney4nonah
Mouseketeer

Great tips, Thanks for the thread!

Me 42- DH 45-
POR Jan 20-28, 2015
POFQ Jan 19-26, 2010
POFQ May 25-31, 2009;
Disney4nonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #30
IMwink
Mouseketeer

Disney4nonah

Thanks - I'm trying to get all the info I can, and share it with others at the same time. Gotta help the Newbies, because I am one of them.

I would like to here some negatives about food places or things to skip.

I think I will add that in the main post so I can get some responses.

If you want I've made up a list of all the Restaurants menus on a powerpoint, and I've annotated the Snacks that have been confirmed by other DISers. Only for the parks though, no resorts.

Let me knoe if you want it.

Enjoy your trip

Tags
animal kingdom, guide, secrets, tips, tricks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: