Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #106
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by loralie View Post
I have a few transportation questions. On one of our days we plan on getting to HS for EMH and then take the boat over to Beaches and Cream for lunch. After lunch we want to go back to the GF to rest before going to another park at night. What is the best way to get to the GF from Beaches and Cream?

Another transportation question. I know there is a boat from GF to MK...is there a boat from GF to the Wilderness Lodge? We plan on going to WCC from the GF one night for dinner so if there is not a boat from GF, which would be the best way to get there? I am thinking taking the monorail to MK and then take the boat to WL...is that the best way?

Thanks,

Loralie
I agree with praline...take a cab! It took us forever to get back from our dinner at WL to the GF! You have to first wait for a boat to MK then get off and wait for another boat to WL. I really wish we'd taken a cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praline3001 View Post
If you want to use Disney's transportation and save the few bucks here is what you would do:

Using Disney Transportation:
Take Disney bus transportation to Downtown Disney, then switch to destination resort bus at Downtown Disney. Or take Magic Kingdom bus and take Grand Floridian resort Monorail or boat over to Grand Floridian.
Approximate Travel Time:
90 minutes

Make sure you see the 90 minutes

If you drive (or cab)
Driving/Walking:
Left on Epcot Resorts Blvd. take right on Buena Vista Drive. Proceed on Buena Vista Drive and Follow signs to Magic Kingdom and World Drive. Follow signs to Magic Kingdom. At toll plaza stay in far right lane and drive through Toll plaza Follow World Drive to first traffic light. Take a left onto Seven Seas Drive. At end take a right on Floridian Way. Follow signs to resort which will be on the right.
Approximate Travel Time:
15 minutes

To WL using Disney transportation:
Using Disney Transportation:
Take Magic Kingdom monorail and take Wilderness Lodge resort boat over to Wilderness Lodge Resort.
Approximate Travel Time:
40 minutes
Seriously, it really did take 90 minutes to get back to the GF from WL! We went there for dinner and then to get back, the boat took FOREVER to come to the WL and when it finally did come, I was sooooo ridiculously tired and annoyed. I complained the whole boat ride back to the GF to my poor DH who patiently listened and I'm sure secretly rolled his eyes when I wasn't looking. What's that expression....when Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy? Too true! I will NEVER take the boat again to the WL from the GF. Good thing we were staying in Conch Key which is right next to the boat launch!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #107
praline3001
DIS Veteran

I am a major cab girl when it comes to Disney

I budget for them and its my little treat to myself while on vacation!

The GF shares buses with the other monorail resorts so the buses take longer and can get more crowded.

Last June I did brave a bus from AK to GF and it took FOREVER! I didn't time it but it had to be close to 90 minutes. If you take a bus during non-peak times (this was about 1pm) they condense the routes to save buses. We got the scenic view of all of WDW that trip

From GF to AK you are usually the last to arrive ~ meaning ALL of the other resorts have already dropped off their guest. I am a HUGE Rope drop gal and I like to be close to the front of the rope.
I am able to get our FP's and ride a bunch of stuff if I am in the front.
So for AK day, we take a cab. DHS is a toss up, but I usually take a cab as well since I am spoiled like that

There is NO beating the GF to MK route
You are 2 minutes from MK! The same thing goes for the other monorail resorts. We like eating at poly and CR so it's so much quicker on the monorail!

Remember my mantra ~ free and Disney do not go together

Just back from another wonderful trip!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #108
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_balou View Post
We leave for the airport hotel Sunday - our flight leaves Monday morning!!! We plan to rent a Sea Raycer too. GF here we come!!
Have a wonderful time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
I agree with praline...take a cab! It took us forever to get back from our dinner at WL to the GF! You have to first wait for a boat to MK then get off and wait for another boat to WL. I really wish we'd taken a cab.
I agree. If there's not a very direct way to get from Point A to Point B via Disney transportation, I drive or take a cab. There's nothing worse than being stressed out on vacation. I tend to be running late, not early. The last thing I want to do is rush around then wait (impatiently) for multiple boats or buses, checking my watch to see if I'm late for EMH or a dinner ADR! I think Disney offers great transportation in general but there are definitely some "blind spots". GF to WL is one of them!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #109
praline3001
DIS Veteran

This is how much my family loves the cabs at Disney ~

This trip we are driving! We have a new silverado extended cab we bought a few months back. DH wants to take it and since we have one of those fiber glass camper tops on it (very nice and matches the truck ~ ) I will have a TON of room for my overpacking trends

Anyway ~ DH told me he wants to park the truck at the GF and not drive it the rest of the week he wants to take a cab or the monorail! No arguments from me

He says its not worth the pain of driving and parking ~ the cabs drop you right out in front.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #110
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by loralie View Post
WOW!!! I had no idea it would take 90 min. to get from Beaches and Cream to GF. I was thinking maybe the monorail from Epcot but I guess not. A cab sounds like a much better idea. I also did not think it would take so long to get to WL for WCC from the GF. I thought with the monorail and the boat it would be much faster. I am so glad I found this out now. Thanks so much!

Loralie
I had to chime in on this. What everyone has previously posted is 100% TRUE!!!!!!!! I think bus service from the Epcot area resorts to the MK is THE WORST ANYWHERE ON PROPERTY!!! I have never waited less than 20 minutes for a MK bus to even show up over there. And then once you make all the stinkin' stops at the other resorts, it is always at least an hour, just to get to MK. This is the main reason we don't stay over there anymore. (We NEVER rent a car at WDW since part of the "vacation" for us is to get away from traffice. You Chicago area gals know what I mean about long commutes from the 'burbs to the City )

We don't cab it often at WDW, but from the EPCOT resorts back to the GF it is WELL worth it!!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 04-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #111
dpndka
Mouseketeer

I'm a bit disheartened about the transportation times for AK & DHS. we were planning to visit all parks this time and rely on disney transportation. But I'm glad I know now instead of later. We'll probably take a cab to AK & DHS.

The last time I used a cab was 10 yrs ago! I have a cab phobia. Had weird cab driver in NYC and since then I never use a cab again.

Question re:Citricos. Does anyone know if you can order from it's menu as room service? I've looked at their menu and some of the items appeal to me but do not want to take our kids there. They don't do well with sit down restaurants unless it's a buffet.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #112
praline3001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpndka View Post
I'm a bit disheartened about the transportation times for AK & DHS. we were planning to visit all parks this time and rely on disney transportation. But I'm glad I know now instead of later. We'll probably take a cab to AK & DHS.

The last time I used a cab was 10 yrs ago! I have a cab phobia. Had weird cab driver in NYC and since then I never use a cab again.

Question re:Citricos. Does anyone know if you can order from it's menu as room service? I've looked at their menu and some of the items appeal to me but do not want to take our kids there. They don't do well with sit down restaurants unless it's a buffet.
The Disney cabs are better than city cabs
They are much nicer than those buses I can promise you all those sweaty people ~ and the less than clean park peeps ewwww those buses must have a billion germs per square inch

I am not sure about Citricos but I was able to order from Narcooses and had surf and turf in my jammies one night

Old 04-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #113
Cinderumbrella
Wench

I actually didn't find DHS that bad. They stop at another resort before going to us (WL when we traveled) and then on to DHS. AK, however, stinks no matter what!! You also go to Blizzard Beach on that route. Getting there, not horrible (since right after pick up it goes to Blizzard Beach and then AK) but coming back is bad. After they get you at AK, you go BACK to Blizzard Beach, then to WL, then to the GF. Plus AK is the farthest park from GF anyway.

DTD is another doozy since it goes to Typhoon Lagoon and the West Side. Plus it seems like those buses are fewer and far between.

Again, as I typed on another thread today, the bus issues are a property wide problem, not exclusive to this resort. I still think the EPCOT area resorts really get the shaft since all 5 (YC, BC, BWI, Swan, DOlphin) share the SAME bus at certain parts of the day.

But remember, even a day at WDW with bad buses is better than any day at home!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~

Old 04-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #114
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Hey Brook,
I am trying to use the Mears link that you posted but it isn't working for me It will only let you use the pulldown options (which are REALLY limited) and it not recognizing typed in addresses.

Any one else having any luck?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #115
praline3001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
Hey Brook,
I am trying to use the Mears link that you posted but it isn't working for me It will only let you use the pulldown options (which are REALLY limited) and it not recognizing typed in addresses.

Any one else having any luck?
Not sure ~ I don't use the pull down menu. Instead I type in the address. It works for me. If nothing else, you can always call and ask them what the amount would be

Old 04-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #116
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by praline3001 View Post
Not sure ~ I don't use the pull down menu. Instead I type in the address. It works for me. If nothing else, you can always call and ask them what the amount would be
That is what I am doing. Must be a strange glitch today

Old 04-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #117
praline3001
DIS Veteran

Did you guys read this on CNN about the swine flu?
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/25...flu/index.html

I know its not GF related but those who are traveling anytime soon might want to be aware of this. Extra hand santitizer and maybe extra lysol in the room when you get there. Its NO time to panic or anything ~ Just wanted everyone to be aware. We all know how Disney is with germs and travelers

Old 04-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #118
billnang
DIS Veteran

Ok question for you about cabs...

We are a family of 6...what do they do, send 2? I want to go to SeaWorld, but am tryig to figure ot how to get there...

Angela

My family
Old 04-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #119
praline3001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnang View Post
Ok question for you about cabs...

We are a family of 6...what do they do, send 2? I want to go to SeaWorld, but am tryig to figure ot how to get there...

Angela
The MEars Taxis have vans. The good part? The vans cost the same exact amount as the cars

We always ask for a van so we have a bit more room ~

Old 04-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #120
dpndka
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post

But remember, even a day at WDW with bad buses is better than any day at home!
True that We're only planning to do AK and DHS for 1 day each. So two days via taxi won't be so bad.

Thanks for the change in perspective.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: