Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #136
loralie
DIS Veteran
 
loralie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 772

Thanks for all the great info on this thread guys! I feel so much better about the transportation now. I know my DH is a little nervous about getting around since he hurt his back and I want this trip to have as little stress as possible so we will definitely be using the cabs a few times. Our trip is 20 days away. I can't believe we are really going back to WDW and I can't believe we are actually staying at the GF. Its been 4 years since we were at WDW and we had a trip planned in 2007 but had to cancel it and I guess I am a little worried that something will go wrong. I know, I know...I have to think positive. I know it is going to be an awesome vacation.

Loralie
__________________
2/2004 Dolphin
5/2005 CBR
5/2009 GF

Here is a link to my May 2009 Grand Floridian trip report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2186301


Can't wait to plan more trips to Disney! When you are here the rest of the world just goes away along with all the problems.
loralie is offline  
Old 04-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #137
billnang
DIS Veteran
 
billnang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 736

I thought about a stay there, but with 6 of s, we are kind of against split stays...
But I just looked up the taxi cost.. from EPCOT to sea World it is 23.00
and from MK to Sea World it is 32.00 hmmm
looks like I can monorail it to Epcot and go to and from Sea World from there!!!!

We'll see i think I will give them a call. I know I looked into going to the Transportation center and they have a bus that you can take, but not so sure about that..

Anyone know another way to get there from the GF?
Angela
__________________



My family
billnang is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #138
praline3001
DIS Veteran
 
praline3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 673.52 miles from the Castle
Posts: 4,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by loralie View Post
Thanks for all the great info on this thread guys! I feel so much better about the transportation now. I know my DH is a little nervous about getting around since he hurt his back and I want this trip to have as little stress as possible so we will definitely be using the cabs a few times. Our trip is 20 days away. I can't believe we are really going back to WDW and I can't believe we are actually staying at the GF. Its been 4 years since we were at WDW and we had a trip planned in 2007 but had to cancel it and I guess I am a little worried that something will go wrong. I know, I know...I have to think positive. I know it is going to be an awesome vacation.

Loralie
You will have a blast! Let your DH know that there is a nice hot tub at the courtyard pool it might make his back feel better after being in the parks all day!
Also, make sure to try the GF cafe! I seriously LOVE this place and we eat twice there in a week on our trips
Its GREAT food and service without having to dress up.. very casual. Its also QUIET and soothing!

Make sure to store the Mears cab number in your cell phone just in case. I haven't had problems getting a cab but you never know

I have the GF soooo relaxing after a hectic day in the parks! It helps recharge my batteries! I love the parks ~ but having a nice quiet down time is great
__________________
~BROOK~

Just back from another wonderful trip!
praline3001 is offline  
Old 04-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #139
praline3001
DIS Veteran
 
praline3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 673.52 miles from the Castle
Posts: 4,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnang View Post
I thought about a stay there, but with 6 of s, we are kind of against split stays...
But I just looked up the taxi cost.. from EPCOT to sea World it is 23.00
and from MK to Sea World it is 32.00 hmmm
looks like I can monorail it to Epcot and go to and from Sea World from there!!!!

We'll see i think I will give them a call. I know I looked into going to the Transportation center and they have a bus that you can take, but not so sure about that..

Anyone know another way to get there from the GF?
Angela
I would call mears and get a price quote. I am not sure how they work off property but I know on property from GF to AK is $20 so that sounds a bit low to sea world, kwim? Unless they have a difference rate for off property

I understand not wanting to do a split stay with 6 people~ but really that would be the best reason to do it! Instead of getting everyone moved each morning to the right park, much easier if you were already there. Plus the FOTL access at Universal would be GREAT! All of the universal resorts work with Sea World so you would only stay off property at one resort and then change over to GF ~ think of all the cab fair you could save .. plus all the hectic mornings trying to get to the other parks. We were sooo going to do it this way for our July trip but decided it wouldn't be worth it as my DD can't ride the coasters at Universal =( she would be sad. SO instead the guys are taking off for the day but we are driving so they will take our truck
__________________
~BROOK~

Just back from another wonderful trip!
praline3001 is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #140
snowwhitenyc
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 286

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by praline3001 View Post
I also take a cab to and from AK. Its $20 one way but well worth it to me. The GF/AK bus route takes FOREVER and has several stops along the way. Its just not worth it for me to sit there for 90 minutes
Hi Praline,

Thanks for all of your great info! We're getting ready for our first GF trip in just a few weeks and we're super excited!

In your experience, how long does it take to get from GF to AK early in the morning (aiming to make 9am rope drop)? Has it still been around 90 minutes? If so, that's crazy! AK is my least favorite park, and the thought of waiting for/being on a bus for the same amount of time as it takes for me to get from NYC to Philadelphia is not appealing.

And, if I'm not being too pushy -- how long generally from GF to DHS?

Again, many thanks!
snowwhitenyc is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #141
praline3001
DIS Veteran
 
praline3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 673.52 miles from the Castle
Posts: 4,253

I have never taken the bus from GF to AK in the morning, I always take a cab I know GF shares buses with the other monorail resorts and also makes a stop at BB. That is enough for me NOT to want to attempt it. The one and ONLY time I dared to take that bus was in the afternoon from AK to the GF and it took forever

I also take the cab to and from DHS. I am picky and hate waiting and being squished by strangers.

I learned many years ago when staying at YC and AKL NOT to trust the bus system. I know many people have wonderful experiences with them ... but NOT ME I always get the experience from he ll.
__________________
~BROOK~

Just back from another wonderful trip!
praline3001 is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #142
johnsonet
DIS Veteran
 
johnsonet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SC
Posts: 5,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwhitenyc View Post
... how long does it take to get from GF to AK early in the morning (aiming to make 9am rope drop)?
Hi. I entered the time on this into my phone last August, so I thought I'd answer. We walked up to the bus stop at GF at 8:45am and an AK bus had just pulled up. It took us ten and a half min. to get to Blizzard Beach and then another 7 min. to get to AK. Not bad at all.
So, once the bus arrives it takes you 20 min. or less to arrive at AK
On the return trip, our bus stopped first at WL and then straight to the GF.
johnsonet is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #143
Misti
DIS Veteran
 
Misti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by praline3001 View Post
Also, make sure to try the GF cafe! I seriously LOVE this place and we eat twice there in a week on our trips
Its GREAT food and service without having to dress up.. very casual. Its also QUIET and soothing!
Second that! We actually eat just about every breakfast there. Love the decor of the restaurant and it's so sunny and bright. The pancakes and eggs benedict are our breakfast must-haves.

Oh and Brook, I love their Onion Soup, too!! I can taste the yummy gooey cheese right now just thinking about it!
__________________
Misti is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #144
praline3001
DIS Veteran
 
praline3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 673.52 miles from the Castle
Posts: 4,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Second that! We actually eat just about every breakfast there. Love the decor of the restaurant and it's so sunny and bright. The pancakes and eggs benedict are our breakfast must-haves.

Oh and Brook, I love their Onion Soup, too!! I can taste the yummy gooey cheese right now just thinking about it!
oh sure rub it in Misti rub it in!!!!

Their french onion soup is so yummy
I actually met the chef our last trip when he heard I loved his french onion soup. He is such a sweet man!!!! I told DH I was going to leave him for the chef and run away into french onion soup bliss
Later that week the chef sent me up a bowl of it he just finished making compliments of the resort


A few weeks ago I was feeling under the weather and DH asked me what could I eat that would make me feel better~ I told him to go run over to the GF cafe and get take out french onion soup he was less than amused

I know many peeps love Narcooses and Citricose but really the cafe is my fav


Also another favorite thing I LOVE TO DO is go shopping at the Basin White! I love their bath bombs! My fav is wild palms... or tranquility. I am not a big fan of floral scents but those two aren't flowery and I like them a ton!!!!
Nothing more relaxing than having a bath bomb in your tub after a long day in the parks!!!!!
__________________
~BROOK~

Just back from another wonderful trip!
praline3001 is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #145
snowwhitenyc
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 286

Thanks Praline and Johnsonet! This is super helpful. I know it can take forever on the bus in the afternoons, but it sounds like in the morning it might be a little more efficient.

I think we'll try leaving around 8 to make rope drop on the bus, and if one doesn't come in 15 minutes or so, then we'll jump in a cab.

I can't wait to be there!
snowwhitenyc is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #146
praline3001
DIS Veteran
 
praline3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 673.52 miles from the Castle
Posts: 4,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwhitenyc View Post
Thanks Praline and Johnsonet! This is super helpful. I know it can take forever on the bus in the afternoons, but it sounds like in the morning it might be a little more efficient.

I think we'll try leaving around 8 to make rope drop on the bus, and if one doesn't come in 15 minutes or so, then we'll jump in a cab.

I can't wait to be there!
Here is the link to Disney travel times:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/trans...portation1.cfm

Using Disney Transportation:
Board bus Marked Animal Kingdom at resort bus stop
Approximate Travel Time:
40 minutes
Driving/Walking:
From main exit of Grand Floridian turn left onto Floridian Way. Road will turn into World Showcase Drive. Follow World Showcase Drive to Osceola Parkway turn right and go up ramp onto Osceola Parkway and follow signs to Disney-Animal Kingdom. Follow signs to parking lot.
Approximate Travel Time:
20 minutes


It does not mention the stops you might have to make. Disney often changes the routes.
__________________
~BROOK~

Just back from another wonderful trip!
praline3001 is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #147
praline3001
DIS Veteran
 
praline3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 673.52 miles from the Castle
Posts: 4,253

Here is what the DIS says about travel to DHS from the GF:

Using Disney Transportation:
Board Bus marked Disney-MGM Studios
Approximate Travel Time:
40 minutes
Driving/Walking:
From main exit of Grand Floridian turn left onto Floridian Way. Road will turn into World Showcase Drive. Follow World Showcase Drive to Buena Vista Drive go up ramp onto Buena Vista Drive and follow signs to Disney-MGM Studios. Follow Buena Vista Drive to MGM Studios. Turn right at entrance and follow signs to parking lot.
Approximate Travel Time:
15 minutes
__________________
~BROOK~

Just back from another wonderful trip!
praline3001 is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #148
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran
 
k&a&c'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,337

We use the bus system quite a bit while in WDW, and find it to be generally reliable and easy to navigate. The park that seems to have the most problems is DHS - not sure why, maybe because they often stop at a water park, both on the way to the park and back. DTD is horrible, except after 4 p.m., when they start direct service. Even then, we generally take our car or a cab (if we don't have a car), at least on the way back, when we're tired! We once sat at the DTD bus stop for nearly an hour, late at night, in the heat and the bugs, lol. Never done that again!

I have to agree with Praline about using cabs for resort-to-resort transportation, though. Getting from the GF or Poly to WL and back is much easier by car, and going to any of the Epcot resorts from the MK area. I used to use WDW transportation exclusively, never even saw our car during our stay - but now, we drive frequently, or take a cab if we don't have a car. Makes the whole trip a lot easier for us.
__________________
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
k&a&c'smom is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #149
loralie
DIS Veteran
 
loralie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 772

Quote:
Originally Posted by praline3001 View Post
You will have a blast! Let your DH know that there is a nice hot tub at the courtyard pool it might make his back feel better after being in the parks all day!
Also, make sure to try the GF cafe! I seriously LOVE this place and we eat twice there in a week on our trips
Its GREAT food and service without having to dress up.. very casual. Its also QUIET and soothing!

Make sure to store the Mears cab number in your cell phone just in case. I haven't had problems getting a cab but you never know

I have the GF soooo relaxing after a hectic day in the parks! It helps recharge my batteries! I love the parks ~ but having a nice quiet down time is great
I am sure DH will make good use of the hot tub. Is it hot? I ask because last time we stayed at CBR and the hot tub was luke warm and filled with kids and VERY small. I have seen pics and it looks like the hot tub is bigger at the GF but wanted to know if all the resorts keep the water temp lowered or was it just CBR?

We do have a GF resort day planned in the middle of the week so we can recharge and relax. We will not be doing a park that day and the only time we are leaving GF is to go to CR so I can do para sailing and my boys can try water skiing for the first time. I can't wait to do that! We are renting a cabana and we have a dinner ADR for GF Cafe. I am so happy you like it because I was reading the rate and review section of AllEars and the first few reviews are very negative and I was getting a little worried but decided to keep it and decide for ourselves. We may also do the campfire and movies on the beach at night or watch the EWP and Wishes from the marina. It sounds like a wonderful resort day to me and I think everyone will be relaxed for the rest of the week.

Loralie
__________________
2/2004 Dolphin
5/2005 CBR
5/2009 GF

Here is a link to my May 2009 Grand Floridian trip report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2186301


Can't wait to plan more trips to Disney! When you are here the rest of the world just goes away along with all the problems.
loralie is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #150
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran
 
BlueSkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,197

Loralie That sounds like a great mid week break! sounds like you will be have planned lots of fun activities too...

Another fan of the GF Cafe here...we usually do a few pool days and take a break at the GF Cafe for lunch...great sanwiches and you have already heard how good that onion soup is... As for the dinner there...just as good as breakfast or lunch!!! Enjoy...
__________________
~ DREAM BIG LIVE GRAND ~




BlueSkies is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: