Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Mik2DW2007
Fastpass

Question Experience with POP?

I let my brother make the reservations for our mini-trip next month and I thought he had made the res. for ASMu, which I was happy about because they were recently renovated... But when I got the paperwork it showed ASMo, which I didn't want to stay at, so I called and all they had was POP... When I looked at Tripadvisor there was a review that talked about the run-down apperance and the fact that they had bedbugs in their room (they even posted pics, ewww!)...

This has me freaking out & I was hoping someone could let me know how different the rooms were from ASMu to POP... Are the POP rooms really run down, worse than ASMu? I really do appreciate the cost-effectiveness of a Value, but I'm not sure I'm ready for a room with stained carpet and mildewed grout...

Thanks!

DW June 2007 - Offsite
Disneyland May 2008
DW Jan 2009 - CSR
DW May 2009 - Pop
DW April 2014 - AoA, Finally Going Again!

Last edited by Mik2DW2007; 04-23-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Edited for content :)
Mik2DW2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
DisneySherpa
Measuring life by Disney vacations... and proud of it...

Are the POP rooms really run down, worse than ASMu?

We stayed at Pop one January and later at ASmu that September. We noticed a HUGE difference in the quality of the rooms... and because of this... will not be returning to Pop anytime soon.

The new linens, furntiure, paint, carpet, and overall appearances were a huge upgrade compared to Pop. The rooms had such a whimsical feel, very comfortable, and with the added benefit of a small coat rack and a privacy curtain (we were in a preferred room). The overall design is fun and even relaxing!

We didn't find Pop's room to be all that bad... but definately not to Disney standards in our opinion. The rooms were dull, lack luster, and we greatly missed the "disney resort" feel. Outside of that... we found our room to be spotless, well maintained, and clean. No horror stories here.

I don't think you'll be disapointed at Pop... when you consider the sheer number of thousands of guests at the resort in a weeks time... negative reviews are few and far between! Not to mention that if people want to say anything... it's usually complaints before compliments!

My one recommendation to you and any other guest... is that if your not happy... tell someone! If your not satisfied with the condition of your room, whether your at Pop, ASmo, or ASmu let the front desk know your concerns. A special cleanings or room change may be in order... but taking 20mins out of my vacation to handle the issue is a lot better than 6 more nights in a room I'm miserable in!
DisneySherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
marebear
Earning My Ears

We stayed at Pop Century last September and I thought that it was a good bang for our buck. It's a value resort, so you can't expect anything fancy. Everything was very basic. The room is not that big but it was fine for the two of us. The only thing that I found weird is that the sink is outside the washroom. Other than that, I can honestly say that for the duration of our stay (we were there for 10 days), we always found our rooms to be very clean as well as the surrounding areas (pool, main lobby, cafeteria). We had no bed bugs, no carpet stains and no mildewed grout. After a long day at the parks, we always came back to a clean and fully replenished hotel room.

As a side note, we also noticed that out of all the other value resorts (Music, Sports), the bus came more frequently for POP. I actually think it's the only value resort that has its dedicated bus. The other value resorts have to share buses and stop at the other value resorts.

If you're on a budget, it's a great place to stay. We didn't mind staying at POP because we were barely in our hotel room. We actually only went there to sleep. But I wouldn't worry if I were you. As someone who has stayed there, I can tell you that I would stay there again!

Have fun on your trip and let me know if you have any other questions.
marebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
love2teach
Mouseketeer

I stayed at Pop once. It was okay. The only other Disney hotel I've stayed at is All Star Sports, and I liked it much better, to be honest. My room at Pop was clean and all, don't get me wrong. But it seemed like I had to walk forever from my room to the main building and then to the bus stop. If you're on a budget, it'll probably be a good deal for you.

"Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

July 1989-Offsite
April 2004-All Star Sports
June 2005-Pop Century
August 2007-All Star Sports
love2teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

Maybe you could keep trying for ASMU or ASSR as they've both undergone renovation. The last time we stayed at POP, it seemed a little shabby but not awful or anything.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I'm a Frequent Flyer at all of the values. I have not found Pop to be run down and I'll be back there later this year. It is LARGER, more stories, more rooms than the AS, so you can also expect more crowds and higher noise levels in the food court and other common areas. I like its food court best of all the values. If you are so worried, why not try for another value resort? ASMusic is my personal fave.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Dawn68PA
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at 3 of the 4 values and were extremely happy at each one. The only value we haven't stayed at is ASSp. Each value was clean, staff happy and willing to help with a smile. Never had an issue with anything at any value.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
jessieroo
DIS Veteran

We have done POP twice as a Grand Gathering group. Everyone was very happy staying there. We are going there in August again. We has stayed at All-Star sports a couple of times and liked POP better. We stayed in the preferred and last time we asked for preferred in the 50's section. We had a great time there and the bus service was good. The resort is close to everything and the POP buses are just for POP. The All-Star resorts share the buses so they are always really crowded.

AUGUST 2009-POP CENTURY 70'S

OCTOBER 2011-POP CENTURY 50'S
OCTOBER 2013-DISNEYLAND

jessieroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

Have stayed at POP 4 times and AS Mu once (and three of the times at POP were last fall, as was the stay at Music). I really didn't think there was a huge difference in shabbiness of the furnishings, even though AS Mu has been much more recently renovated. I much prefer POP -- I like the food court and the pool better, and the Mousekeeping at POP seemed like they were more on their toes. As for the buses...I don't know. We sometimes waited a long time at POP. But then again, we've waited a long time at EVERY resort, even the deluxes. Which is why we usually drive to the parks (unless it's during the F&W Festival!!)
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
P.I. Squirrel
DIS Veteran

We have never been disappointed in any of our rooms at POP. They have always been clean, with nothing broken. We check for bedbugs at every hotel we visit, regardless of price or reputation. We have never found any evidence of bedbugs in any of our rooms at POP.

P.I. Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

I love the POP! The food court is great. The resort is really fun. We especially love the Goofy Fountains. The transportation is good too because you don't share with any other resorts. I loved staying there and so do the kids.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
Letsbgoofy
Can live with dry heat
My Mickey waffle maker is a cheap park fix for me!
I like the scallops the best.

We stayed at POP in December 2008 - didn't notice anything at all that looked run down (and I do notice things like that!) I was at ASMusic before the renovation and the rooms didn't look run down then either. We never stay in preferred rooms - could that be the difference? We will be at POP in late August again.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #13
VAN
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at POP (Mar 08), ASMu (Jan 07, Mar 09), and ASSp (Sep 08) and found all of the rooms to be about the same. We were not in the "preferred rooms" but near the back of each of the resorts. The rooms were clean and all set up about the same ... 2 dbl beds, table & 2 chairs, hat/coat hooks, TV/dresser stand, etc. They just had slightly different patterns on the bed/curtains and the picture and wall paper border. Otherwise, I couldn't tell much difference between any of those three resorts.

The only value resort that I have not stayed at is ASMo and that is the one that I've heard "black stuff" about ... I understand that it has yet to be refurbished.

Regardless of which resort you end up at, if you are unhappy with the condition of your room, please let them know. Friends of friends were recently at ASMo and reported a problem -- after reassignment to 3 rooms they expressed great displeasure and were relocated to WL !!!

For me, happiness with the resort has to do with cleanliness, preceived value, and then, of course, with who you end up next door!!
VAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #14
MouseFan Down Under
Mouseketeer

I stayed at Pop last year (non-preffered room) and was completely happy! The bed was so comfortable...maybe it was just that I was so tired each night!

I could not fault the place at all. And I am now coming back this year!

I did only spend minimal time in my room - really it was only to shower and sleep...otherwise I was at the parks.

I think it is really good value for your money.

Whatever you decide..ENJOY! You will be in DISNEY!

WDW:
July 1995 Offsite / July 1997 All Star Music / September 2008 Pop / Sept/Oct 2009 Pop / September 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter / returning December 2013 Pop
Disneyland:
1985, 1992, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2013
MouseFan Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #15
Pikester
DIS Veteran

We love POP! But, I've never stayed anywhere else either. We have a trip booked for Nov/Dec 2009 and will be staying at Pop for the 3rd time. I think the rooms are just what they need to be. A place to lay your extremely tired body from all the fun you had that day at the parks. I saw no bedbugs or any other bugs for that matter. I will be honest and say that there was a raisin stuck in the carpet right at the threshhold to the bathroom door. It must have been a super raisin because that sucker would not come out!

Not sure if you found the Pop thread yet so here is a link to that http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1991543&page=164 The very first post has tons of information about Pop. Maps of the resort, pics of the rooms, etc.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: