Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
Lizzybear
You fool! You gave cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god!
I'm the main holiday initiator/planner which is how I like it!

East Coast Antics aka We're not doing Disney this year... Yeah right!!

Morning/afternoon/avening all! Since my holiday is now less than 6 months away I thought now would be as good a time as any to start my third pre-trip report so first things first, the cast:

Me (Lizzy) 24/will be 25 when we travel: Holiday planner/obsessor and Disney freak. Totally impulsive.. if I get even the slightest hint that I can go on a Disney trip i'll run with it! This will be my fourth WDW trip. I don't tend to do the character trip report names but if I did I would be Minnie

The boyfriend (Steve) 26/will be 27 when we travel: As ever, along for the ride. My Disney brainwashing is clearly working though as he is partly to 'blame' for the fact that we're going to WDW this year! This will be his second WDW trip and his Disney character would be Sully

This trip started out as being an east coast driving tour, starting in Boston and ending Washington DC and visiting various states/cities in between. We were taking a break from Disney this year, we had been for the last 3 after all and in my case 4... I was OK with that, or so I thought, until Steve happened to hint that I should price up a DLRP short break for some time off he had booked for May. Once i'd got over the shock of my previously Disney indifferent leaving all the planning to me boyfriend initiating a Disney trip I jumped online and found a not too bad price BUT (isn't there always a but!) I couldn't shake the feeling that i'd rather use that money for a WDW trip. THEN I got to thinking that I wasn't all that excited about some of the places we'd planned to visit in October so I had a talk with Steve about this and surprisingly he agreed. We decided that our two absolute must-dos were New York and Boston and I casually hinted that we could do both cities then drive down to Orlando, because you know free dining is on at WDW and so is HHN at Universal! Those two things were all the convincing Steve needed (though not without some added laughing and headshaking and 'I knew this would turn into a Disney trip'-ing!) We were going to WDW this year!! Like any good planner I dutifully drew up a rough plan, which as of today looks something like this:

1st October: Fly Manchester to New York, arriving around midday. Probably not doing the airport hotel this year as we're trying to keep unnecessary costs down but this may change if I get a mega deal! We're going with Continental again as we had a good experience last year, the price is good and we get Virgin miles! Check in to our New York Hotel which I think will be the Hampton Inn Madison Square Gardens which gets great Tripadvisor reviews and has an included hot breakfast.
2nd October: New York. No concrete plans for what we want to do as yet but i'm sure we'll do the usual landmarks and a tour of some description, get pizza from one of the many 'Rays' and we'll be getting the train to Red Bank (New Jersey) one day to visit Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash east side (Kevin Smith's comic shop) and just explore the town that was featured in some of our favourite films.
3rd October: New York
4th October: New York
5th October: Pick up rental car (Hertz are looking to have the cheapest one way drop fee so more than likely i'll book with them) and drive to Boston, stopping in Hartford (Connecticut) on the way. Check in to our Boston hotel which is looking to be the Holiday Inn Express as, again, it gets great TA reviews and has an included hot breakfast.
6th October: Boston. We're pretty much using Boston as a base to visit various places in New England.. We will spend a day exploring the downtown area and go on a Boston Duck Tour but we also plan to drive to Portland (Maine), Providence (Rhode Island), Cape Cod, Salem and possibly Waterbury (Vermont) to visit the Ben and Jerry's Factory. That last one is about 3 hours each way so i'm sure any sensible person wouldn't even consider it, though i'm sure we've established by now that this is not me..!
7th October: Boston
8th October: Boston
9th October: Boston
10th October: Boston
11th October: Drop-off rental car and get an internal flight to Orlando, think this will be with Delta as they have the best price and time combination. The road trip to Orlando idea was unfortunately put to rest mainly as i'm the only one of us who can drive and since Boston to Orlando is 20 hours without stops I really think i'd need someone to share the driving with from a safety point of view. The flight takes 3 hours and we should get to Orlando around 6pm. Pick-up hire car number 2 (just trying to hold out for a price below £150 at the moment!) and drive to Coronado Springs resort. We're both looking forward to staying in a new resort as it looks so different to POFQ even though they're both moderates.
12th October: WDW. We have 14 day tickets (since they cost the same as the 7 day tickets I upgraded so we could have 8 park days rather than 7) and are only doing Disney, aside from one evening at Universal for HHN (which i'm a bit apprehensive about since i'm a big wuss but I know Steve is dying to go so i'm willing to give it a try) so we have a fair bit of time to spend in all the parks. Hoping to do some of the stuff i've overlooked on previous trips like Tom Sawyer Island and the trails in AK. I'm also considering a tour (did KTTK in 2005 which I loved) and an Illuminations Cruise if I can find one someone wants to share/get others to share one I book. Ooh and we'll be doing MNSSHP again and i'll be making my costume this year. Since we have free dining i'll be making our ADRs in July.. Definite is Boma (breakfast and dinner) but also considering 50s Primetime, Le Cellier, Ohana breakfast, 1900 Park Fare breakfast, Beaches and Cream (probably OOP), Coral Reef (repeat visit), Whispering Canyon and a signature place we haven't eaten at (Artist Point, Citricos, Narcoosees and Flying Fish)
13th October: WDW
14th October: WDW
15th October: WDW
16th October: WDW
17th October: WDW
18th October: Morning/afternoon in WDW then drive to St Petersburg. This was previously going to be Miami and I haven't actually changed my ticker yet but we wanted somewhere closer to Orlando as it was a fair bit more to fly out of Miami for some reason, plus the hotel prices were higher than I wanted to pay considering New York and Boston aren't cheap either!
19th October: St Petersburg. We definitely want to visit the Dali museum but aside from that it'll be a very chilled day after all the running around in WDW. Check-in online for tomorrow's flight home.
20th October: Our flight is around 1-2pm so we'll be leaving for the airport quite early, drop off the hire car then fly home. We connect in Newark which hopefully should be as easy as it was last year. We're due home at 7:40am on the 21st and Steve is back in work the day after!

So that's us and that's our trip! I'll be posting the non-Disney portion of my planning/trip report aswell for anyone who has a shred of interest but i'll completely understand if most people only care about the Disney stuff, this being a Disney board and all! Regardless, thanks for reading and hope you stay with me for the trip report.
DLP Day trip 1992, School trip 1997, Day trip 2000, Magic Circus 2003, Cheyenne 2006, Sequoia Lodge 2007 and Santa Fe 2010. WDW Ramada Resort I-Drive 2002, Sheraton Studio City 2005, POFQ 2007 and CSR 2009. DLR Fairfield Inn 2008.

Last edited by Lizzybear; 06-22-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Lizzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
raph_b
Proud Redhead

Sounds like an amazing trip you have planned there

I've never been to NY but would love to go one day.

And HHN too, I'm so jealous.......
Feb 1999 - DLRP - Sequoia Lodge (4 nights)
May 2007 - DLRP - Daytrip
Sep 2008 - WDW - Offsite (2 weeks)
Mar 2009 - DLRP - Hotel New York (3 nights)
Nov 2009 - DLHK - Daytrip
Sep 2010 - WDW - Last trip before its time to have babies!

Thank you O' great Tag Fairy - You have made this Proud Redhead a very happy bunny!!
raph_b is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
scottish mum
We still have 2 posties in shorts
I'm still learning how to work it

WOW what a holiday. You will have a lovely time. When the kids are older I want to drive across America.
Disneyland Paris 1994, 1997, 2004, 2009
fort wilderness cabins september 2008
Beach Club October 2010

scottish mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
irisheyes123
DIS Veteran

Sound like you have a great trip planned and Nyc is great never been to boston but plan to one day sounds like you's are going to see lots of places on your way up to boston sounds like a great plan. We did the whole driving from nyc to florida back in 2007 but as dh has family in Kentucky we went that way and down and drove back up to nyc boy was that crazy but nice to see different places...

irisheyes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

That's going to be a great trip Lizzy. New England is high on my list of must-do's so the more planning info you give the better.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

SOUNDS AMAZING!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
gemmybear83
I would blame it all on Bob
Awww I love the first day
You could stay behind after your meal and have another drink

Sounds an amazing trip Lizzy - and I might run into you at CSR!!

I understand your fear about HHN - I am far too much of a wuss to go! I cna just about cope with MNSSHP!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you have a great trip planned!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

sounds amazing, cant wait to read all about it

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

sounds like a great trip
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Wow !! this should be good

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Lizzy,you're trip sounds amazing-so looking forward to this one .x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

sounds great. love a driving trip. we drove to our place in spain in 22 hours non stop last year but plan to do loads of stops this year. really like the sound of driving to wdw. have a great time planning all the adrs

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Sounds like a fantastic trip. I, for one, would love to hear all about the NY and Boston part of the trip just as much as the WDW part.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
Lizzybear
You fool! You gave cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god!
I'm the main holiday initiator/planner which is how I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark&sue View Post
sounds great. love a driving trip. we drove to our place in spain in 22 hours non stop last year but plan to do loads of stops this year. really like the sound of driving to wdw. have a great time planning all the adrs

susan
Hopefully it's something we can do in the future when Steve gets his license so we can drive in shifts, probably start in Washington DC and drive down from there
DLP Day trip 1992, School trip 1997, Day trip 2000, Magic Circus 2003, Cheyenne 2006, Sequoia Lodge 2007 and Santa Fe 2010. WDW Ramada Resort I-Drive 2002, Sheraton Studio City 2005, POFQ 2007 and CSR 2009. DLR Fairfield Inn 2008.
Lizzybear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: