Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Luvmyfam3
I love DVC!

Kim & Mark's 6/15/09 Escape PJ & TR - UPDATED 9/9/09 - Reception!

Hi! My name is Kim and this is probably the most last-minute planning journal known to man! Haha! But, I have been lurking on this forum for the past 4 - 5 months (before I was engaged) and I cannot tell you how valuable a resource these planning journals have been. I have no doubt that if it hadn't been for all of you sharing your planning processes and experiences there's no way that I would be able to put together this whirlwind fantasy I'm living right now. So, here it goes…..

Love Story

Mark and I met, of all places, on eHarmony. And I suppose that our relationship at that point went like most… we were intrigued by each other's profile, we started communicating and eventually met. I could tell immediately that Mark wasn't your average guy…extremely intellegent, funny, thoughtful, interesting. He was definitely goofy, but not in a weird way. Haha. But, it wasn't until our third date that I started taking this guy seriously. Sure, I thought he was interesting to talk to, but no "heart-fluttering" attraction. Then, during our 3rd date, at Starbucks, while we were both relaxed and talking…not trying to entertain each other or say things we think the other person wants to hear….I started to feel this pull towards him and at that point started to really hope he'd kiss me (for me, that would be the telling sign!). Sure enough, while walking me to my car, he did. My knees were jelly while getting in my car! While driving home I kept saying "Wow" and had a silly grin on my face... I could feel it. The rest is a magical history….well, not exactly, but you get the point. We had both been married before and have children, which totally brings a new element of complexity to our relationship. But, a fun one too! That meeting was almost exactly 2 years ago from our scheduled wedding date….we met June 19, 2007 and we're going to be married June 15, 2009. Here is a picture of us:

And here is a picture of us with our gang….

Left to right (Me, Caitie (17), Pluto, Mark, Allie (17), Mia (4) and AnnaGrace (15) The 3 teenagers are mine and the little one is Mark's. I cannot tell you how blessed we feel to have this family of ours.

Engagement Story

Mark and I discussed marriage quite a bit after about a year or so of dating. With our situation, it was critical to make sure that our expectations were in line. Anyway, towards the end of March things were started to fall in place. One Friday evening while we were all out to dinner, Mark said that he needed to talk to my girls. So, while Mia and I went picking flowers (actually flowering weeds in other people yards) Mark talked to the girls on the front porch. Then, later that week, come to find out, Mark took my parents to lunch. So, I had a feeling something was coming….

March 27th, Friday morning, was the beginning of "our" weekend…a weekend when neither of us has our kids. I kind of had a feeling that he might propose during this weekend. Little did I know…. Around 8:30 that morning, the receptionist calls me to say that I have a "special package" downstairs in our lobby. I go down to find a huge bouquet of gorgeous red roses. The card stated, "A reason is NEVER needed for a gift from someone who cares. However, in this case there IS one, and to learn it you will have to meet me downstairs. Love, Mark" Wow. A flood of thoughts and emotions overwhelmed me. In a daze, I go down to our building lobby. Incredibly, it's completely empty except for Mark standing there. And it was there that he asked me to be his bride. Unbelievable! Then….we went back to work! Haha!! We met (with my parents) for lunch at the restaurant where we first met. Here are a few pictures from that day…
Here's my ring (isn't it GORGEOUS?!?):

Here are my roses:

And here we are that evening celebrating:

We proceeded to be in a joyful daze all weekend. Everyone we told asked if we had set a date. We had already decided that we wanted a simple destination wedding. We really felt that coupling it with a vacation would help to bond our family and involve our girls more. After considering many beach destinations, we had most seriously discussed Disney. I have a timeshare there and my girls consider Disney as the "happiest place on earth". So, my first order of business: go to my favorite Disney resource! The DIS…..well, actually, I had already been on this forum for a few months pouring over Planning Journals and Trip Reports to see how everything worked. Before our engagement, I felt kind of guilty going on this forum…like I didn't belong. But now, I'm really glad I did!! I had told Mark I couldn't get married next summer because my twins would be graduating from high school…I didn't want to take that special time away from them and it would be too stressful to plan everything surrounding them and a wedding! So, we started looking at this summer. We already had a Disney trip planned this coming June and thought, "Why not?" So, that's what we're doing! And I couldn't be happier…

Wedding Plans

We decided on Monday, June 15th…it's closest to a weekend without being the weekend. We did that just in case we needed to bump it up to a Wishes. We didn't want that higher minimum!! Thankfully, I think we're going to be able to keep it an Escape. We are planning to be married at Sea Breeze Point at 10:00am. I told Mark, "You do realize that the girls are going to want to be in the parks by 2:00 that afternoon." His reply, "Are you kidding?!?! I'll want to be in the parks by 2:00!!" Haha! I really had my heart set on the Attic, but we just couldn't justify the minimum which is triple the amount of a Boardwalk ballroom. But, I think that with our small group, the ballroom will be best. That way we can have one long table instead of separate tables scattered. I'm still really attached to the Attic, but I’m trying to look at the bright side!

I have much more that I'll share shortly! I'm truly excited about all this and would love ANY input on coordinating a small wedding with children, conservative Christians and loud fun-loving Italians! It's going to be quite an adventure!!
Off-site 1988 Beach Club Resort 1989Off-site 1990 Contemporary Resort 1991 Port Orleans Resort 1995 Port Orleans 1997 Polynesian Resort 1998Off-site 2000DVC member 2000 Boardwalk Villas 2001 Old Key West 2002 Villas at Wilderness Lodge/Vero Beach Resort May, 2003Old Key West/Villas at Wilderness Lodge July, 2004 Saratoga Springs Dec. 2004Boardwalk Villas June 2006Saratoga Springs July 2007Villas at Wilderness Lodge Resort July 2008 My Disney Fairytale Wedding! June 15, 2009 Old Key West/Animal Kingdom Villas/Beach Club Villas June 2009 Disney Vero Beach Resort June 2010Animal Kingdom Lodge June, 2012Bay Lake, 2014
MeDH DD22 DD22 DD20 DD9
Disney Wedding Planning Journal & Trip Report June 2009

Last edited by Luvmyfam3; 09-09-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Luvmyfam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Ann117
DIS Veteran

Congrats your wedding is very soon!!! Good luck with everything!
Ann117 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Raecheal
DIS Veteran

Congrats! I can't wait to read the rest of your pj!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Luvmyfam3
I love DVC!

Invitations

Invitations

First of all, thank you Lurkyloo for introducing me to the wonderful world of Etsy.com!! I'm sure it's common knowledge, but I didn't have a clue about this site! I have found so many things since then! Not the least of which are my invitations!

Here are the ones we really liked, but they're not in my colors:

Kelly from Staccato was SO helpful! She suggested the following to fit with my colors...I can't wait to see them! Unfortunately, the picture keeps coming out really bad....but I think you get the idea!
Off-site 1988 Beach Club Resort 1989Off-site 1990 Contemporary Resort 1991 Port Orleans Resort 1995 Port Orleans 1997 Polynesian Resort 1998Off-site 2000DVC member 2000 Boardwalk Villas 2001 Old Key West 2002 Villas at Wilderness Lodge/Vero Beach Resort May, 2003Old Key West/Villas at Wilderness Lodge July, 2004 Saratoga Springs Dec. 2004Boardwalk Villas June 2006Saratoga Springs July 2007Villas at Wilderness Lodge Resort July 2008 My Disney Fairytale Wedding! June 15, 2009 Old Key West/Animal Kingdom Villas/Beach Club Villas June 2009 Disney Vero Beach Resort June 2010Animal Kingdom Lodge June, 2012Bay Lake, 2014
MeDH DD22 DD22 DD20 DD9
Old 04-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Luvmyfam3
I love DVC!

My Jewelry

I forgot to add my jewelry to the Etsy group!

I also found these cufflinks for my nerdy fiance as a surprise...they're Star Wars Falcons (whatever that is....)

I'm hoping to show you my dress and the girls dresses next.... I'm having a difficult time with the David's Bridal website....
MeDH DD22 DD22 DD20 DD9
Old 04-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
princess22
I would just lay around the pool
How long til I'm not earning my ears anymore?

Congratulations!

I just have to say you don't look old enough to have 3 teenagers. Your family is adorable though. I'm looking forward to reading more!
princess22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
DISNEYMAGIC2005
DIS Veteran

Congrats! Your day is coming up really soon! I got frustrated with the Davids Bridal site too! I ended up googling a pic of my dress from an ad. Can't wait to read about the rest of your details.

I'm lucky i'm in love with my best friend.... and that he puts up with my WDW craziness!
DISNEYMAGIC2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
tiggerrifficheidi
DIS Veteran

Congratulations! Your family is beautiful and I can't wait to hear about all the plans! Your excitement is definitely infectious!

Standing by...
tiggerrifficheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #9
padisneyfour
DIS Veteran

welcome

welcome and congrats! looking forward to hearing more of your plans
Old 04-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
Luvmyfam3
I love DVC!

Quote:
Congratulations!

I just have to say you don't look old enough to have 3 teenagers. Your family is adorable though. I'm looking forward to reading more!
You're so sweet! I assure you I'm plenty old enough!

Quote:
Congrats! Your day is coming up really soon! I got frustrated with the Davids Bridal site too! I ended up googling a pic of my dress from an ad. Can't wait to read about the rest of your details.
You're a genius! I did that and was able to get pictures of my dress! I'll post pictures soon! Thanks!

Quote:
Congratulations! Your family is beautiful and I can't wait to hear about all the plans! Your excitement is definitely infectious!
Thank you! Heidi, I have to say that I truly enjoyed reading your PJ's and TR's. Facing my challenges of time and distance are nothing compared to what you faced...twice! Both of your weddings were beautiful! We are also planning to have Rev. Day officiate our wedding, so I was interested to hear what you had to say. I'm hoping everything will go fine!

Quote:
welcome and congrats! looking forward to hearing more of your plans
Quote:
Congrats! I can't wait to read the rest of your pj!
Quote:
Congrats your wedding is very soon!!! Good luck with everything!
Thanks! More coming soon!
MeDH DD22 DD22 DD20 DD9
Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
DisneyBrideToni
Proud BLT DVC Owner
I had to give him a bit of his batman

Congrats!!!! Your ring is beautiful! I can't wait to see more of your plans!
DisneyBrideToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
Bride-to-be
DIS Veteran

How exciting! Congratulations!!! I am sure the boardwalk ballroom will be perfect!
Bride-to-be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Luvmyfam3
I love DVC!

Dresses
When we first went shopping for dresses, I kind of let my girls loose. We picked a color and I told them they could get whatever dress they chose in that color. I have to admit that was kind of a mistake. Caitie immediately found a long, sequined prom dress in the "right color". Caitie kept saying, "But I'll look like Ariel! It looks like a mermaid!" I was hoping she was kidding...but she wasn't. Allie went and found a similar sparkly, low-cut, long prom dress.

Just to give you a laugh, here's the dresses they wanted to wear...
Caitie (in a blue/green color)

Allie

I felt like I was quickly losing control.... And then....my David's Bridal attendant was ready for me! So, on that note, I went to go try on wedding dresses! Although I have pictures of all the dresses I tried on, I'll spare you... Here's what my girls fell in love with...
Here's the model...not me...

Here's me with the petticoat...

Here's without the petticoat...

Here's the back...which I love!!

I was a little concerned about wearing a traditional wedding dress...being married before, and with children and all. But, we brought my mom, sister and grandmother the next day and they all loved this dress as well. I tried wearing evening gown-type dresses, but they just didn't look right on my short body. If it's possible, they made me look even shorter! So, that's my dress! I do love it...I'm a little concerned about the "trumpet" skirt though. That's never been my favorite style...but, the top and the back won me over. It'll be interesting to see how it looks in my size. I'm still deciding on the petticoat. The petticoat seems to make the skirt more "trumpety" (new word!), but it may look a little funny without one. Suggestions??

Next, was to settle on the girls' dresses. After a "back to reality...it's a freaking wedding!!", they ended up all liking the same dress! So, this is what they're going to wear in the mermaid color:

(Hey, is this Allie pouting because she doesn't have her "show my tummy" prom dress on?!?!)

Unfortunately, they didn't have any dresses in the mermaid color for Mia. So, we're going with this flower girl dress and a mermaid sash. She looked so cute! But, for some reason I didn't get a picture of her. I think because I was too busy chasing after her twirling around in her dress!
MeDH DD22 DD22 DD20 DD9
Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! Your dress is beautiful--I like it with the petticoat. I think it gives it a nice shape. Can't wait to here more.

Planning a "super-secret" October F&WF weekend!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Luvmyfam3
I love DVC!

Just found out that DF's mom and brother probably won't be coming to the wedding. Mark told me his step-mother said, "I don't think anyone is coming!" It makes me feel really bad because not only are all my family coming (we only invited parents, siblings and their families), but my cousin and her husband are planning their annual vacation around this wedding...and they weren't even invited to attend! (in order to meet the 20-person maximum requirement). We encouraged them to come to the reception though! I guess they can come to the ceremony now, but I just feel bad because that means even more of my family will be there. It looks like only his daughter, father and step-mom will be coming. I'm feeling guilty. Anyone else face this?

I must say, he's being a real trooper. He said, "You know, I think you're taking this harder than me."
MeDH DD22 DD22 DD20 DD9

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: