Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #181
kdzbear
DIS Veteran

I will try to briefly recap the Wish situation with Tyler. First, he could not stay at GKTW and I will not go into the reasons for why. So, his Wish organization was going to put him up in a condo in Orlando that was donated. Then they were going to rent us a mid-size sedan. A family of 5 and a double stroller will not fit in a mid-size sedan. Then I assumed that they would provide us with about $50 a person per day for food. The total for those two items alone was about $1,600. I received a special email offer from Disney for Free Basic Dining plan in November during our dates. I sent the info. to the Dream Factory and I was told that they were still putting us up in the condo even though the offer I sent them was all inclusive and much cheaper. I knew that they were trying to save money to be able to grant more wishes. Then about a week later I received a phone call telling me that we were staying at All Star Sports with free dining. Our trip is still one day shorter than most trips. I guess I assumed since I knew other people that went on trips through the Dream Factory that we would still have an expense check to cover checked luggage, tips and meals to and from Disney while traveling. However, they had other ideas. It will be fine. We will make it work.

The important thing is that I made reservations for Tyler to have breakfast with Stitch and he can ride the Dumbos on his own without Stitch. We will make sure that he has the trip of a lifetime that he will never forget! The members of Disboards have already made our trip planning so much more magical than we could have imagined! We will enjoy the time we have together as a family!

Tyler's Wish Trip (Nov. 20-25, 2009): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2154359 Sept. 12-20, 2009 Trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2292505
Old 11-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #182
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!
There is no such thing as too young or too old for Disney World!
Thinks glow in the dark ricrak is cool

I'm sorry things didn't happen the way you had thought they would. That must be pretty shocking so close to your trip! Did they tell you they would be paying for your tips and baggage too?

No matter what, you are going to have a WONDERFUL time!!! If you are like us, you will have so many snack credits left over, you will fill a carryon with snacks!!! We had a lot of fun at the Goofy Candy store at DTD using up credits the day before we came home. At Pop, they let us convert some of our counter service credits to three snack credits each. That was so fun!! We missed our bus back to the airport because we were trying to spend all the credits!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #183
kdzbear
DIS Veteran

There is hope yet........

The Dream Factory scheduled Tyler for a pirate make-over, but they are so confused. They made it for the 23rd at the castle? Pirates do not get made-over at the castle. So, I canceled that appointment. I still have both appointments on the 22nd that a wonderful disboards member is paying for for us. Anyway, I asked if it was pre-paid since I canceled it, but I did not tell her I canceled it. I knew from talking to the person at BBB that it was not pre-paid. The reply from the Dream Factory was that the money to pay for it comes out of our expense check???? I sent a new email asking if that was something we were supposed to have already. Now we will wait and see!

Tyler's Wish Trip (Nov. 20-25, 2009): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2154359 Sept. 12-20, 2009 Trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2292505
Old 11-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #184
p00h4me
Mouseketeer

Wow! Such excitment so close to your going on your trip! I hope they realized that they forgot to include the expense check and that you'll be getting one. Remember that God answers prayers! I have faith that things will work out just fine. Your family will have a wonderful time of great memories either way.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #185
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

Sorry you've had such stress going on! It seems like a lot of the wish organizations don't send out expense checks until the very last minute. At first I kind of wondered why, but it occured to me. 1. There are some families that would prob spend a lot of the money not on the trip if they got it far ahead. 2. There has been at least one family that I know of that got the check, then ditched the trip. I know that doesn't seem like something people would do, but apparently it happens. Wait and see how they reply, but I would bet you'll get it 24-48 hrs before you leave.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #186
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Wow! Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing over there How frustrating this process has been for you

When I talked to our MAW rep today she said they generally don't give or even reveal the amount of the check until right before the trip (when they give you everything else) but she made it sound like it was because they wanted to 'surprise' the family. I get her point but from personal experience now I know how hard it is to plan the extras if you don't know how much you're working with.

I'm glad it looks like perhaps you will be getting something after all. Keep us posted please

Pamela

Matty's Wish Trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

Last edited by pacrosby; 11-13-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #187
maroo
DIS Veteran

yeah...this is a whole different trip...

Most of our trips were sponsored by MAW.

But judging by the reply you got...it sounds like she DID think you have a check... does that make sense? Like...yeah...that should be in your budget??
Old 11-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #188
2specialkids
Mouseketeer

Hopefully they'll get this confusion cleared up quickly. MAW did our trip and they didn't pay for our lunch with JoJo (which was DS's actual wish) but I just allowed for it out of my pocket (ouch!). They didn't pay for baggage either but there was enough in the "gas & parking" to cover it. GKTW gets you free parking with your button so I used that to pay for baggage. We flew AirTran and round trip was $105 for baggage so check the airline website if you have to pay any of it.
Lots of prayers that this will ease up early in the week and you can plan more stress free!

Gracie's (Mikayla) Pre-Trip report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3146419
Trip dates are 9/26-10/2/13
Boo's (Nikolas) Trip Report starts on page 7 post#99
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2263732
Old 11-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #189
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time with your wish organization. As Maroo said, many of us here are MAW beneficiaries and therefore do not know much about how Dream Factory works.

Although it may be an akward conversation, I think your best bet would be to call either your wish granter or the Dream Factory and directly ask them if you will be receiving an expense check. Explain to them that while you are extremely grateful for giving Tyler his Wish to go to Disneyworld, that you do have concerns about the extra expenses that are not included with your lodging and free dining plan.

Tactfully remind them that there are many costs including, but not limited to baggage fees, tips (inform them that these are not included with the Disney dining plan and can add up quickly), souveniers (not necessary, but seriously who would expect to grant a child's wish and not allow them to buy a souvenier or two?), and other odds and ends. If possible, give them an estimate of what you expect to spend.

After explaining what you would need an expense check for, then stress to them why you need it. Monthly medications, tons and tons of copays and deductibles, etc, etc add up quickly. Additionally (and I don't know if this is the case with you), many parents of special needs children cannot work or are very limited to how much they can work because of the child's appointments and illnesses. I know that our budget is tight because I am unable to work and Bella's medical expenses (even though most is covered by insurance) add up quickly. If this trip were to cost us anything, we would not be able to go. Tell the Dream Factory the same applies to your family for Tyler's trip. Simply say something like - If I had known that we would be responsible for the extra expenses, I would have scheduled the trip at a different time so we would have time to save up for it. Even a couple hundred dollars makes a big difference in our household and with Christmas coming up, I had not budgeted extra expenses from the trip.

It does sound like there is some confusion within the organization as to whether or not you should receive an expense check. It seems as if some people think you are getting one while at the same time others don't. I do hope you get some clarificaiton soon. You certainly don't need that type of stress on top of everything else!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #190
kdzbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00h4me View Post
Wow! Such excitment so close to your going on your trip! I hope they realized that they forgot to include the expense check and that you'll be getting one. Remember that God answers prayers! I have faith that things will work out just fine. Your family will have a wonderful time of great memories either way.
Thank you for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersmom View Post
Sorry you've had such stress going on! It seems like a lot of the wish organizations don't send out expense checks until the very last minute. At first I kind of wondered why, but it occured to me. 1. There are some families that would prob spend a lot of the money not on the trip if they got it far ahead. 2. There has been at least one family that I know of that got the check, then ditched the trip. I know that doesn't seem like something people would do, but apparently it happens. Wait and see how they reply, but I would bet you'll get it 24-48 hrs before you leave.
Unfortunately, no check is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrosby View Post
Wow! Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing over there How frustrating this process has been for you

When I talked to our MAW rep today she said they generally don't give or even reveal the amount of the check until right before the trip (when they give you everything else) but she made it sound like it was because they wanted to 'surprise' the family. I get her point but from personal experience now I know how hard it is to plan the extras if you don't know how much you're working with.

I'm glad it looks like perhaps you will be getting something after all. Keep us posted please

Pamela

Matty's Wish Trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607
This organization is very confused and it is difficult when my Wish volunteer keeps having to go to higher-ups to ask questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
yeah...this is a whole different trip...

Most of our trips were sponsored by MAW.

But judging by the reply you got...it sounds like she DID think you have a check... does that make sense? Like...yeah...that should be in your budget??
No expense check is in the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2specialkids View Post
Hopefully they'll get this confusion cleared up quickly. MAW did our trip and they didn't pay for our lunch with JoJo (which was DS's actual wish) but I just allowed for it out of my pocket (ouch!). They didn't pay for baggage either but there was enough in the "gas & parking" to cover it. GKTW gets you free parking with your button so I used that to pay for baggage. We flew AirTran and round trip was $105 for baggage so check the airline website if you have to pay any of it.
Lots of prayers that this will ease up early in the week and you can plan more stress free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaniLyn View Post
I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time with your wish organization. As Maroo said, many of us here are MAW beneficiaries and therefore do not know much about how Dream Factory works.

Although it may be an akward conversation, I think your best bet would be to call either your wish granter or the Dream Factory and directly ask them if you will be receiving an expense check. Explain to them that while you are extremely grateful for giving Tyler his Wish to go to Disneyworld, that you do have concerns about the extra expenses that are not included with your lodging and free dining plan.

Tactfully remind them that there are many costs including, but not limited to baggage fees, tips (inform them that these are not included with the Disney dining plan and can add up quickly), souveniers (not necessary, but seriously who would expect to grant a child's wish and not allow them to buy a souvenier or two?), and other odds and ends. If possible, give them an estimate of what you expect to spend.

After explaining what you would need an expense check for, then stress to them why you need it. Monthly medications, tons and tons of copays and deductibles, etc, etc add up quickly. Additionally (and I don't know if this is the case with you), many parents of special needs children cannot work or are very limited to how much they can work because of the child's appointments and illnesses. I know that our budget is tight because I am unable to work and Bella's medical expenses (even though most is covered by insurance) add up quickly. If this trip were to cost us anything, we would not be able to go. Tell the Dream Factory the same applies to your family for Tyler's trip. Simply say something like - If I had known that we would be responsible for the extra expenses, I would have scheduled the trip at a different time so we would have time to save up for it. Even a couple hundred dollars makes a big difference in our household and with Christmas coming up, I had not budgeted extra expenses from the trip.

It does sound like there is some confusion within the organization as to whether or not you should receive an expense check. It seems as if some people think you are getting one while at the same time others don't. I do hope you get some clarificaiton soon. You certainly don't need that type of stress on top of everything else!
Here is the response I received today: Okay ........... In the paperwork that I sent you is the time of day and day of the pirate party.
The Dream Factory did not give you folks any expense money because everything was already paid for.

Have a great trip and I hope the weather is good for you.

I think at this point I am done trying to explain that the pirate makeover, the tips and the airport baggage fees are not covered. We will find a way to cover it. I do stay at home with my 3 kids. However, I also do mystery shopping as a side job. It does not pay much, but I can pick up a few extra jobs over the holidays to cover the extra expenses and we will make it work! Tyler will never know the difference!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #191
maroo
DIS Veteran

4 days left!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #192
kdzbear
DIS Veteran

4 days!

I was inspired by the Big Give. I went to the fabric store yesterday since I wanted matching outfits for MVMCP. However, I took Breanna and Tyler with me. The two of them could not agree on any fabric, but we finally found some. Then last night at 7:30 PM my husband discovered a $10 coupon off of a $10 purchase at Kohl’s. Bre and I went and found shirts to wear with the shorts and skirts. None of the shirts match each other, but they are all Christmas related and the bottom halves will all match. Then I purchased material to go with their safari Mickey and Minnie shirts from the Big Give. Tyler picked a giraffe pattern for his shorts and Bre picked a leopard pattern. Then I really wanted to find some Belle material so we went to a second fabric store. I did not find what I was looking for, but Tyler found a bolt of Handy Manny material, took it off the shelf and carried it around the store. Bre found High School musical material. I have finished all of Tyler’s shorts. I have made Hayley one skirt. I had a basic skirt pattern that I shortened the length of and it is still long on her and then I made a little ruffle. I attached the ruffle with my serger. I guess it can make things other than weighted blankets. It is so cute. Here are some pictures so far. Now, I need to get back to sewing while Hayley takes her nap and the other two are back at school!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #193
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

Too cute! I'm hoping after Christmas I can start doing a few small things for Piper. I can sew, but I'm still learning to do clothes, so it takes me a while. I have done some AG clothes for her & my nieces dolls, so I'm thinking if I can do clothing that small, her should be easy! I love the shorts and skirts
Old 11-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #194
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Just a few more days now!! WOW!!!!!!!! You must be SO excited. Love the new outfits you made, how cute!! You are so talented, I wouldn't even know how to use the machine!!!! Hope your packing is going well!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: