Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Bree89
Mouseketeer

This Georgia Gal Went to Disney! Spring Break 4/6/10-4/9/10

Hello all and welcome to my trip report! My name is Bree(short for Brittney) and I just arrived home from Orlando late last night. I felt the trip was a bit short & there were a few mishaps along the way, but overall it was a good trip & I enjoyed myself!

When: April 5th-9th 2010
Where: Orlando/Kissimmee, FL
Who: Me(Bree)20, Auntie Dot, Auntie Lois, Nesha(sister)15, Micah(cousin)11, Q(cousin)15 (along with Springfield Baptist Church)

The crew!

Up next- Travel Day & The Arrival
Old 04-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
grandpaof3
Been there too often?

We were there for 10 days for the last 6 years and the time always seems to speed up when we are in the WORLD.

There must be something in the water down there!!!!!
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Bree89
Mouseketeer

Part 1: Travel Day and The Arrival

(4/5-4/6): After months of waiting & anticipating, the day had finally arrived where we could say, "Today is Disney day"! This was it! The moment I had been waiting for these past few months was finally here! I was pumped and ready to go. We arrived at the church at about 11:00pm and surprisingly, we were the first ones there! I started to wonder if we had the right place of departure(some churches usually departed from the Bi-Lo shopping center in my grandma's hometown), but Aunt Dot assured me that this was the place. Sure enough within the next 2-3 minutes or so, people started to arrive left and right and by 11:20, half the parking lot was full. I started to get even more excited as more cars arrived, but to my dismay the buses hadn't arrived. Now, we were supposed to leave the church at 11:30, but by the time 12:00 came, there were still no buses! While we were waiting, we decided to unload our bags from the car and stand outside with the others. We all talked and chatted with each other, until Aunt Dot and I decided to use the restroom. As we walked towards the restroom, a long line of people were waiting at the door to go inside. It was like waiting to get concert tickets or something lol. As we were waiting, a tall boy walks past us and he looks directly at me & smiles. I had no idea who he was, but I politely waved and smiled back(more on him later lol). After about 5 minutes, the line finally let up at bit & we were able to use the bathroom. When we got back to the parking lot, there were still NO BUSES. It was already 12:45 and there was not one bus in sight! The fam and I talked until about 1:15 and what do we see??

Buses!! This was it! We were finally on our way! We lugged our bags over to the bus loading area, thinking that we were about to get on. As were about to board the bus, one of the trip coordinator called everyone into the church sanctuary. Apparently, some people still hadnt turned in their permission slips and had to do so before they boarded. Some were even paying their money, deciding to go on the trip at the last minute. The woman then called everyone's attention to the front of the church and she introduced herself(even though most people already knew who she was). She then gave a pep talk about everyone being on their best behavior and how if something happens to one of us, it happens to all of us. She then called out the bus numbers and who was on what bus(our family stayed together! yay! ) and we all boarded. One of the trip coordinators popped in a movie(Akeelah and the Bee), we pulled out of the parking lot at around 2. I feel asleep at around 3 and found myself waking up at 4 when we stopped for a bathroom break in Richmond Hill, Ga(I kinda needed it since Micah had slobbered on my jacket ). As I was entering the gas station, I noticed a road map of the gas station chains in different cities. I scanned the map to find our location, and saw that werent too far from the Florida line! Even though I was tired as a mug, I did a little squeal in excitement lol. We then boarded the bus again and I fell asleep a few minutes later. About a 2 hours later, I awakened to see that the sun was starting to rise. We had finally reached Florida!

After passing through a few cities, we were finally arriving in Orlando(it was around 10:30 or so), passing by Sea World and Universal Studios along the way. A few minutes later, we had arrived in Kissimmee! Aunt Dot and I grinned at each other as we saw all of the different sites pass us by. I couldnt believe that we were finally here.

At about 10:45, we were pulling into the Shoney's restaurant parking lot for breakfast.

I hadnt had them in a few years(all of ours went out of business for some reason), so I was eager to find out how they tasted. The food was pretty good. I liked the pancakes and sausage from the buffet and the staff seemed to be pretty friendly. As I went through the line for a second time, me and the tall boy from earlier bumped into each other! We both apologized to each other and continued on our ways. Little did I know, we would be running into each other often on this trip lol. After my family and I ate breakfast, we walked next door to the little gift shop and browsed around until it was time to leaved. I must say that it had a very unique/odd design lol.

Soon, we were leaving Shoney's and heading over to Walmart. Anyone that forgot a few things at home were encouraged to go inside. I didnt really want to go in so I just stayed on the bus and napped along with my sister and my cousins. The group spent about 3 hours in Walmart! By the time they finished, it was time to check in to our rooms at the Celebration Suites, which was right next door to Old Town.

When we arrived at our hotel, the bus drivers let everyone off the buses and soon, one of the TCs were arriving with our room keys. It was now time to check out our room.

We didnt have to walk at all to our room. Ours was right next to the section entrance which was very convenient for Q. The room was pretty nice and there was enough room for all 6 of us. Micah pulled out the pull out bed in the wall and jumped on it lol. He was happy to rest after such a long trip.

As we were relaxing, Aunt Dot decided that we should go out and visit Old Town for a bit before dinner, but just as we were about to head outside, we hear a loud smash! Some TCs came running to our side of the hotel yelling "WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!" "WHAT ARE YOU KIDS DOING?!" We all ran to the window to see what had happened and we see shattered glass all over the ground in front of the room two doors down from us. We didnt know what was going on! After a little while, one of the TCs came to see if everything was going ok for us and I asked her what had happened earlier. Apparently some teenagers with our group were playing around in the room and they knocked a chair through the window. The TC said that the church would have to pay for it! If I were them, I would have made the boys pay for it! I dont think they'll be coming on another trip with the church anymore. After all of the ruckus, we all changed our clothes & it was time to get back on the bus for dinner at Shoney's.

After dinner, my family and I headed over to Old Town. Which imo, was one of the highlights of the trip. I loved this place! It was so much fun! It had everything from shopping, rides, restaurants, live entertainment, etc. Whenever i'm in Orlando again, i'm definitely coming back here. Micah, Nesha, & Q wanted to ride the Drop Zone(a drop tower ride), but my aunts would not let them, fearing that they may fall out of the ride. Here's a few Old Town pics

This guy jumped out of the haunted house & scared us lol. My aunts didnt like that very much :^P

After leaving Old Town, we then washed up & got into our pajamas. It was around 11:30 and we had a long day ahead of us, for it was DHS day the next day. I was so excited and couldnt wait for the next day! It was going to be the time of our lives! Or so we thought....

Up next Part 2: Disney Hollywood Studios Day!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
wdwdavem
Mouseketeer

Great start. Can't wait to hear the rest. Looks like everyone was having a great time.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

Great start! I've never been to Old Town before...thanks for the pics
Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Bree89
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much guys! DHS will be up between later tonight and tomorrow afternoon(after work lol). Thanks so much guys once again!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

That hotel seems really nice! How was it? I remember passing by there before, and wondering how the inside is. We were at WDW last week for Spring Break, the same time as you all. Subscribing to your TR to hear more about your trip!
Mom/Daughter Birthday Celebration! June 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post45286013
Mom/Daughter Christmas TR! 2011http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2851142
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Bree89
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetravel View Post
That hotel seems really nice! How was it? I remember passing by there before, and wondering how the inside is. We were at WDW last week for Spring Break, the same time as you all. Subscribing to your TR to hear more about your trip!
Thanks! Yes it was actually quite nice(at least imo lol). And at $50 a night you cant beat that. Plus a couple of places, like a 7/11, Old Town, Checkers, Fun Spot, and a 2 floor gift shop were in walking distance of our hotel.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Bree89
Mouseketeer

Sorry about the long wait everyone! Apparently, DIS boards wasnt working for me most of day yesterday! Maybe it was a connection problem or something? Anyways, heres part 2 of the TR!

Part 2: Disney Hollywood Studios Day

I awoke at 6:30 am to see that everyone(except Micah lol) was awake so I decided to get up as well. We had to be at the bus by 8, so that gave me plenty of time to shower and get dressed. Today was our first Disney day and I couldnt have been anymore excited! Micah awoke at about 7 and by 7:30, he was all dressed and ready to go, so at about that time we all slung on our backpacks/tote bags and headed outside. A few of our bus mates were already waiting at the front, so we were right on time(or so we thought). By 7:50, everyone was crowded in front of our section, waiting on the buses to arrive. 8:15 came and there was not one bus in sight. Finally at around 8:35, we see the bus drivers come out of their hotel rooms and head to the bus loading area. By 9, we had arrived at Shoney's. At this point I was pumped up lol. I was so ready to get to DHS that I didnt even finish my breakfast! haha! While my aunts were eating, to kill time I went and browsed in the gift shop with my cousins. As I was walking along, guess who I bump into? The tall guy from earlier lol! We apologized to each other and kept on our ways. Little did I know, I wouldnt be seeing the last of him lol. As a matter of fact we'd see each other a lot more often lol. At about 10:20 or so, it was finally time to board the buses and head to the parks! This was it! We were finally going to enter the place that I had been waiting to enter for months! Then suddenly, it happened.....one of the men tries to open our bus door and its jammed! One our TCs tried it as well and it still wouldnt budge! Our bus driver(who was still eating breakfast at boarding time) even tried to unlock the door with the key and it STILL wouldnt work! Some of the group even started talking about our trip being canceled! Finally after about 20 minutes or so, the bus door opened and we were able to board the bus! Soon we were leaving the parking lot and we were on our way. As soon as I saw this(the picture), I was squirming in my seat lol.

and within the next 5 minutes we were seeing this!

and soon this!!

This was finally it! After years of wanting to come to Disney, we were finally entering the gates of the park! I was so excited. After getting the bus parking pass, we were allowed into the parking lot. The drivers found parking places and one of our TCs came to the front of the bus. He announced that we had to be back to the bus by 5 pm, otherwise we'd get left behind lol. After this, everyone left the buses and we all walked towards the park. I took so many pictures as we were walking lol, but here's a few:

Within the next few minutes or so, we had finally reached the ticket kiosk. One of the TCs went and stood in line for the tickets while we sat and waited at the front. As we sat, I noticed a store near the area where we were sitting, so I decided to go and browse a bit. That's when they caught my eye: MICKEY EARS! If there was one thing that I wanted to leave with, it had to be the ears lol. So, I went and bought a pair and I automatically put them on. My sister thought I looked childish, but I didnt care lol. This was Disney Day after all! After waiting between 30-45 minutes, the TC passed out tickets and we were on our way inside! I had researched the parks before we went and I knew exactly what rides/shows I wanted to see. I asked if we could see the Indiana Jones show first, but they said "We're here to ride! Not see shows!" I then suggested the Great Movie Ride, but they didnt know what it was. After describing it, my sister said we'd come back to that later. I then suggested Muppet Vision 3D(I'm a big fan of the Muppets lol), which perked their interest, so it was off to Muppet Vision!

We finally arrive at Muppet Vision and there's only a 5 minute wait so we just walk right on! We come inside and the preshow is just about over, so we grab our 3D glasses and prepare for the show. The doors open and we all make our way into the auditorium. I thought it was really cute and there were parts that were really hilarious lol. The effects were really cool as well(ex: the water squirting into the audience)! The show was about 15 minutes or so. After the show, we returned our 3D glasses and left the auditorium. Micah & Nesha thought it was just ok(they thought it was too kiddy), my aunts were glad to leave the show, and Q thought it was pretty ok. My rating: 8.5/10.

After we leave the Muppets, we decide to go over to Toy Story Mania, which was a mistake! The ride wait was 100 minutes! So that was out, which made me a little sad as that was one of the rides I wanted to ride the most. We then walk back to the front of the park to ride another one of my most anticipated rides: The Tower of Terror! It was only an hour wait so my cousins, my sister and I all walk over to the ride when all of a sudden my aunts stop us. Apparently they believed that the ride was unsafe due to the dropping and they wouldnt let us ride! Aunt Dot then said that we could ride, but Micah couldnt, which made him very upset as he was looking forward to it. Aunt Lois, Q's grandma, also wouldnt let her ride! They then read the warning sign and said that we were not going to ride it at all! This was disheartening to us. All we could do now was just head over to another ride. I at least got a picture of the ride. Maybe someday, when I go back i'll be able to ride it.

Next stop, the Great Movie Ride.

We arrive at the ride and the wait is 20 minutes, so we all get in line(my aunts did not want to ride). A cast member then saw us and let us go to the front of the line! Apparently, a rule at Disney says that wheelchair accessible patrons and their families are allowed to go off into a separate line for some reason. So, as soon as the next car arrives, we were allowed to get on. We then help Q into the ride and A cast member puts her chair off to the side. Before we know it, the ride is filled and its off to Movie Land. I liked the effects of the ride & although it was a bit slow, I liked the scenery & I recognized most of the movies. The switch between the cast member and the mafia guy was a little corny imo, but it was sort of funny lol. Overall, the ride was pretty cool. Micah, Q, & Nesha all found it boring. My rating: 7.5/10

After riding that, we headed over to Toy Story Mania again, to see if the time had gone down a little. It had only gotten worse. 120 minutes! With what short time we had left in the park we just didnt have enough time to wait on it. We then leave Pixar Place and we go over to the Magic of Disney Animation, where we see a sign for a character meeting! Micah didnt want to go and my aunts didnt either, so Nesha, Q, & I went ahead. When we reached the line, the character was none other than Mickey himself! When Nesha saw the line, she decided that she'd just take the picture from the sidelines, so Q & I stayed. The wait to meet Mickey was only about 10 minutes so we were meeting him in no time! Mickey was so nice.

After meeting Mickey, we then headed over to Star Tours. We didnt tell my aunts what the ride was about and we just ran on They didnt like that very much lol. Line wait was about 30 minutes, but as with TGMR, we didnt have to wait in line.

We then boarded the ride and we found ourselves strapping in our seat belts for a bumpy ride! This was my favorite ride out of the ones we rode. It was so much fun, especially since I'm a Star Wars fan. It was as if we were riding a real spaceship and I enjoyed it very much! Micah thought it just felt like an "ordinary massage chair" and he didnt like it. My sister thought it was ok & Q thought it was very cool. My rating: 9/10

After the ride, we were getting pretty hungry. So my aunts went to get turkey legs & the crew and I went to Pizza Planet. The pizza was ok. The sauce was a bit too thin for my liking, but overall it was an alright pizza. I bought a cute little Pizza Planet souvenir cup though! lol and they had arcade games as well, which Micah liked. My rating: 7.5/10

about 30 minutes later, we finished lunch and games and then set off to find my aunts. By this time, everyone(except me) was ready to leave and complaining of hurting feet. I was a bit sad that the fam wasnt really having a good time. My aunts hadnt rode not one ride and Micah and Nesha were bored most of the time. It was a little disheartening. After we found my aunts, we browsed around a few gift shops for a while. I suggested the Backlot Tour next, but they didnt want to so, we watched the HSM show parade through the streets until it was time to leave. Overall, no one in our group particularly enjoyed the park. I thought it was pretty good & Q thought it was nice. But everyone else thought it was a let down. Micah even said he didnt want to come back to that park. Aunt Dot even complained about how she didnt like that the rides were indoors. By the time we got back on the bus, they were pretty glad to leave and go eat dinner. We left the parking lot at about 6 and everyone else on the bus, from all the chatter I heard, seemed to have had a pretty good time. For dinner tonight, we had the Ponderosa Steakhouse.

Since I was already full from pizza, I wasnt really that hungry, but I decided to go inside with everyone else anyway. The restaurant already had drinks on the table for everyone & the staff was very friendly. The only things I ate from the buffet were the mac and cheese, the string beans, and a cookie(I liked them so much, I snuck a few in my backpack lol). Everyone thought the food was gross, but from what I ate, I thought it tasted pretty good lol. There was even a small gift shop attached to the dining room, so I went in there for a while after dinner. I saw the tall guy again & he smiled and said hi to me so I said hi back. We didnt really say anything else and we kept about our ways lol. I decided that the next time I saw him, I would strike up a conversation or something lol. Well, the next day I would get that chance. After dinner & browsing, we boarded the buses & went back to the hotel. We hung out most of the night at Old Town and I even played a few arcade games(I won 143 tickets playing Deal or No Deal lol). I bought a few souvenirs as well(a few t-shirts, key chains, etc). By 12:00, I was getting pretty tired, so I decide to go back to the hotel. My aunts started to talk about how boring DHS was and they thought it was a drag(they didnt even ride anything so what do they expect? lol). I then leaped into bed and fell fast asleep, hoping that they at least would have a good time at Magic Kingdom the next day.

Up Next: Magic Kingdom Day! Also, I will talk to the tall guy! Will this become friendship or will it become an awkward situation?? You'll find out in the next chapter!

Last edited by Bree89; 04-15-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
momala
Earning My Ears

You have a nice looking family. Thank you for sharing the pics! I am from Augusta, Ga too
Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
Bree89
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momala View Post
You have a nice looking family. Thank you for sharing the pics! I am from Augusta, Ga too
Thanks! That's really cool that you're from Augusta too!
Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Grammie3
Mouseketeer

I am another Augusta Dis Addict! Glad you got to enjoy some of DHS, you must go at Rope Drop to get to TSM and ride it, but I will say if you are not with a group on a time schedule like I was last fall I waited out the 100 min, it actually went faster than that, plus my sister and I took all kind of goofy pictures in line with two other girls. (that we did not know but it was fun).

Disney time is fast but soooo good, I am going back the end of Sept. and early October, 9 days Whoohoo!

Cindy
Old 04-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
Bree89
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammie3 View Post
I am another Augusta Dis Addict! Glad you got to enjoy some of DHS, you must go at Rope Drop to get to TSM and ride it, but I will say if you are not with a group on a time schedule like I was last fall I waited out the 100 min, it actually went faster than that, plus my sister and I took all kind of goofy pictures in line with two other girls. (that we did not know but it was fun).

Disney time is fast but soooo good, I am going back the end of Sept. and early October, 9 days Whoohoo!

Cindy
Yay another Augustan! Yes, the next time I visit the park, I will definitely try to get there earlier than we did did! That way, I'll have more than enough time to do the things that I want to do! And congrats on your next trip! I hope you have fun!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
Grammie3
Mouseketeer

Bree, how did the rest of your trip go? It is hard when you are traveling with a group, and have to rely on a time schedule set up by leaders that don't have the same info that we do on here.

We took our whole family last summer, sons, daughter inlaws and grand kids, ( I am a very young grammie) Well, young at heart especially. I am not retired and I work full time here in Augusta at one of the Hospitals, I am a nurse. Anyway, not even near retirement age but my son's have made me a grammie and I love it. We actually have number 4 on the way, will have 3 grandsons and one lil princess. She loves the princesses too and I can't wait for her to be a little bigger to do a Grammie and princess trip together. Without the boys!

Can't wait to hear the rest of your trip.
Cindy
Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
Bree89
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammie3 View Post
Bree, how did the rest of your trip go? It is hard when you are traveling with a group, and have to rely on a time schedule set up by leaders that don't have the same info that we do on here.

We took our whole family last summer, sons, daughter inlaws and grand kids, ( I am a very young grammie) Well, young at heart especially. I am not retired and I work full time here in Augusta at one of the Hospitals, I am a nurse. Anyway, not even near retirement age but my son's have made me a grammie and I love it. We actually have number 4 on the way, will have 3 grandsons and one lil princess. She loves the princesses too and I can't wait for her to be a little bigger to do a Grammie and princess trip together. Without the boys!

Can't wait to hear the rest of your trip.
Cindy
Doing the parks was a little more rushed since we had to get back to the bus so early. But, all in all it was still fun! Aww, i'm sure your princess trip will be fun! It'd be really nice she were able to meet the princesses! Maybe your grandsons and their dads can do a prince trip someday! lol! :^P

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: