Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
lilheathen
Earning My Ears

ECV and lines

We are going to Orlando this summer (me, DH, DS13, DS12, DS8) and are buying the 7-day pass for US and IoA. I will need to use an ECV in the parks (fibromyalgia, plantar fasciitis, bum knee and had my tailbone removed a year ago!!). I have not sat for more than a few hours at a time since my surgery and am not sure I can sit through an entire day on an ECV while also attempting to do the less physically intense rides. So, the less time I have to be at the parks, the better. We are planning to do the parks in half-day increments to make it more tolerable.

Will my being on an ECV enable us to use an express line like at Disney? Is there a special ID card that I would need to get? And what if I personally am not able to go on the ride, but am with my family and they will be riding? Again, the less sitting I have to do, the better.

Last year when we were originally planning the trip (before I had to have emergency surgery), I saw that we could buy fast passes, but it doesn't look like we can do that now for just one day of our visit. We definitely can't afford it for the whole 7 days and I'm not sure it's doable for one day either. So if the ECV and an ID card have the same effect, that would be helpful in more ways than one.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to finally making the trip.
lilheathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
phamton
Proud Redhead
My husband is right...It is all about me!Shooting your own exhaust is like cheating at solitaire

DISboards Moderator

Universal has GAP (Guest Assistance Passes). You do not need a doctor's note. Just be able to tell them what assistance you need at Guest Services.

Both parks are ADA compliant and, as such, are wheelchair accessible but not necessarily ECV accessible.

There are several types of GAP offered:

Stroller as a wheelchair (you can take your stroller right through the line without transferring to a wheelchair)

Show GAP (Special seating at shows--usually right up front for visually or hearing impaired)

Stairs GAP (for those rides that have stairs in the queue, you can use the elevator)

Familyroom GAP (where you wait in an airconditioned room with a few other family members while the rest of your family goes through the queue--then you join them at the front of the line)

Express GAP which is essentially like a fast pass at Disney all day (6 people maximum)

VIP Gap (back door access--mostly for Make a Wish Kids or Give Kids the World)

Actually Disney does not give a fastpass all day for ECV users although they do have to backdoor you on some of the attractions that are not wheelchair accessible. But that is mainly at the older parks that were built before they were required to be wheelchair accessible. (Both MGM and Animal Kingdom are wheelchair accessible and do not need to backdoor you onto the rides.) If you need an express pass, your best bet would be to buy one for at least one of the days or stay at one of the onsite hotels which gives you front of the line privileges.

No one can tell you exactly what pass you will be given. You just need to talk to them at guest services and let them know of all the issues you might have with long lines. You will most likely get either a Family Room GAP or an express GAP.

I'd check this site first: http://www.universalorlando.com/hour...formation.html and then download the Riders Guide on that webpage which will give you even more info.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
lilheathen
Earning My Ears

Phamton, that was an unbelievably awesome response! Thank you SO much! You just made this so much easier for me!!!!
lilheathen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: