Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
mommy22pumpkins
Mouseketeer

Question about playdate for 7 year old boys?

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or advice about having a playdate. My son just turned 7 and exchanged phone numbers with a little boy from class. Long story short his mom and him are coming over for a *playdate* tomorrow. I have no idea how to entertain this little boy or his mom if she stays.

Anyone have any ideas on what food I should have in or things to do. I know they want to play with the Wii- this is my sons favorite thing in the world right now and apparently why they are such good buddies. I just was hoping to plan something fun for them to do other than play video games.

any ideas? I am really clueless about this and just want to make sure they have fun.

thanks so much in advance!
mommy22pumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
tarazandra
Mouseketeer

I rarely plan anything for a playdate. The goal, in my opinion, is friends getting together for free form fun; whether that's games, toys or just using their imaginations. As for the mom, just sit down with her and chat. You don't need full refreshments, but drinks and possibly cookies are always appreciated.

If the kids like each other, they'll have fun, no worries

The Blog

Disneyland every month

First WDW trip! Pop Sept. 2006
Back to Pop Jan. 2008, see the custom outfits!
A Cabin for Thanksgiving/Christmas '09
Mexican Riviera aboard the Wonder 3/20/2011-3/27/2011
Dreaming of a Wonderous Alaskan cruise 2012
tarazandra is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
GRUMPY D
DVC Member SSRS please stand clear of the doors

if your going to have snacks please ask the parents if there child has any food alleges , kids sometimes forget to tell you these impotent things
Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
hockeymom3
Mouseketeer

We have oodles of friends for playdates and whatever you plan they won't do!!

The first comple of times its the "new" excitement of having the kid at your house that they'll play everything for 10 mins and switch to something else.

They just play!! They entertain themselves, and it gives you a break!!

Second Family Disney Trip April 30 - May 8, 2013 POR
First Family Disney Trip May 2-12, 2009 AKL/WL
hockeymom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Have your son put away any possession he can't stand to share or is afraid of breaking. Then just let them play.

If you don't know mom well, she may stay. Make a pot of coffee or some tea, or offer her a soda. Talk about the kids, the school, and the upcoming summer vacation.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

an easy snack

if the friend has no dairy problems: smoothies

I make them at home and DS had them at a playdate and thought the mom was so cool.

We just dump in a few yougurts, milk, and whatever fruit we have on hand into the blender My kids love them, and they are healthy.

I agree to just let them play. If they are going to do wii I would set the timer for 30min and the rest of the time they have to "play"... hopefully outside. Talk to your son a bit beforehand and give him some ideas. My son is 7 and I'd say we've had hundreds of playdates.. I entertain them much more when they don't have a friend over.

Hang out with the mom.. you'll probably make a new friend too. My son (also 7) really wanted to hang out with someone from school. I don't know the mom very well yet, but she was there for me at the last minute to watch DS when I needed to take DD somewhere. (After I hung out with her and we had a few playdates.)

Sorry if this sounds judgemental, but I'm surprised you've never had kids over before. We've had playgroups/get togethers since my oldest was 6 weeks old.

Don't stress over it.. have fun!
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Just relax and let the kids play. Snacks are a must for boy's play dates. I would encourage the mom to stay so you can get to know her as a return play date at her house may be the next step and you need to see if that is an option for you. Two 7 year olds will be happy for a few hours with the Wii.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
mommy22pumpkins
Mouseketeer

thanks!!

Thanks for all the great tips. The playdate went really well from what my husband said. I just basically chatted with the mom for a few minutes then she left and my husband watched them for a few hours while I went and got a nap before work(I work nights). I think in the future though I will stick to birthday parties or hm being invited somewhere as it was really quite awkward. But the two of them got along great and had a really nice time together so I'm glad it worked out this time.

thanks again I really aprreciate all your help
Old 04-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Please do not rule out future play dates for your child. They provide important social skills that he needs. Most parents sorta of do a "turn" thing for play dates so if you do not have them, he may not get invited to others. Most close friendships also form through play dates. What was awkard??
Maybe you can adjust that to see what will work for your family!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
hockeymom3
Mouseketeer

I'm curious too, what was akward??

None of the parents ever stay at my playdates - but we chat and I have made good neighbours because of this. It also makes me feel a lot better knowing who he is spending his time with when he goes on playdates...and now the occasional sleepover.

Second Family Disney Trip April 30 - May 8, 2013 POR
First Family Disney Trip May 2-12, 2009 AKL/WL
hockeymom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Fabinva
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally posted by MSSANDRA
Please do not rule out future play dates for your child. They provide important social skills that he needs. Most parents sorta of do a "turn" thing for play dates so if you do not have them, he may not get invited to others. Most close friendships also form through play dates.
I agree...while it is not always fun to have the boys over to play I do my part as my son has two close friends and they rotate houses for play and ocasional sleep overs.
Fabinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy22pumpkins View Post
Thanks for all the great tips. The playdate went really well from what my husband said. I just basically chatted with the mom for a few minutes then she left and my husband watched them for a few hours while I went and got a nap before work(I work nights). I think in the future though I will stick to birthday parties or hm being invited somewhere as it was really quite awkward. But the two of them got along great and had a really nice time together so I'm glad it worked out this time.

thanks again I really aprreciate all your help
Why would you stop doing it?

Having friends over on a Sat afternoon or spending the night are one of the many wonderful memories I have of my childhood.
My oldest is 20 and I always let him have the kiddos over.. I was more than happy to host because I knew where he was at all times LOL, he also thought I was the coolest mom .. which is a plus.

I am doing the same with my 6 yr old now.
And yes the others are right.. if you never do any inviting , most likely he wont be invited to play at other's house after awhile.
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

If it was awkward at all, that's probably because it's new - most kids have playdates starting when they're toddlers. This is a major way of how kids form friendships - ds doesn't have "playdates" anymore, but just plays with his friends, the same friends we had playdates with. Also, if you don't invite other kids to your home, the other parents will be resentful, and will stop inviting your ds over.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
mommy22pumpkins
Mouseketeer

Maybe you didn't understand my first post...my son invited his friend over for a playdate. I will now leave it up to the other child to invite my son over to his house as I don't believe in badgering or harrassing people.

I will be more than happy to invite other children over if my son asks to have his friends over again. Which he is already asking about for next weekend. But try to understand that my husband and I both work full time and it sound like most of you who have responded don't. I am a nurse and have a stressful job and alot of other responsibitly besides just staying home with the kids. I know that is a stressful job in itself. But it doesn't compare to having to work full time on top of taking care of two kids.

So please forgive me if I worded it wrong. Awkward was a bad word- I guess stressful would have been a better word as I had to go into work all night that night from 7P to 7 AM. Unless you have been there please don't pretend to know how stressful that is.

I have worked weekends for that last 7years in order to spend time with my kdis and be there for them as much as possible. We have spent every summer together and spent lots of quality time together as a family. I've taken them on every outing you can imagine- zoo's, aquariums, playgrounds, beach, etc. I have done my best to provide them with tons of positive experiences and make their existence as happy and educational as possible. I just wanted some creative ideas on how to make a playdate fun not how to raise my children- no offense!

thanks again for all who contributed positive advice and ideas. That's what this board is about and I am eternally grateful for your advice and support. I hope to return the favor sometime.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy22pumpkins View Post
Maybe you didn't understand my first post...my son invited his friend over for a playdate. I will now leave it up to the other child to invite my son over to his house as I don't believe in badgering or harrassing people.

I will be more than happy to invite other children over if my son asks to have his friends over again. Which he is already asking about for next weekend. But try to understand that my husband and I both work full time and it sound like most of you who have responded don't. I am a nurse and have a stressful job and alot of other responsibitly besides just staying home with the kids. I know that is a stressful job in itself. But it doesn't compare to having to work full time on top of taking care of two kids.

So please forgive me if I worded it wrong. Awkward was a bad word- I guess stressful would have been a better word as I had to go into work all night that night from 7P to 7 AM. Unless you have been there please don't pretend to know how stressful that is.

I have worked weekends for that last 7years in order to spend time with my kdis and be there for them as much as possible. We have spent every summer together and spent lots of quality time together as a family. I've taken them on every outing you can imagine- zoo's, aquariums, playgrounds, beach, etc. I have done my best to provide them with tons of positive experiences and make their existence as happy and educational as possible. I just wanted some creative ideas on how to make a playdate fun not how to raise my children- no offense!

thanks again for all who contributed positive advice and ideas. That's what this board is about and I am eternally grateful for your advice and support. I hope to return the favor sometime.
Sorry, you post did seem to imply that you didn't want to have kids over ever again. I'm glad to see that's not the case. I don't think anyone questioned your parenting. As a SAHM, I have run into a few parents who never reciprocate, and it's frustrating (one mom actually calls me to see if her dd can come over here, because she has to go to work).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: