Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Loritlc3
Mouseketeer

Must Sees/Do's for Hollywood Studios

Well I am planning away and filling out my vacation cards and trying to make sure I have as much info for each park as possible. I will admit I find all of this a little overwhelming. I was hoping to get info from you pros starting with this park regarding. Must do -rides, attractions, restaurants,food, snack, etc..

Thank you
lori
Loritlc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
AnitaDisneyVacation
Mouseketeer

Must do rides: Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Rock N Roller Coaster. All 3 have Fast Passes available - you'll definitely need one for Toy Story Mania.

Must do attractions: Walt Disney: One Man's Dream (just my opinion)

I don't know that I personally have any must do restaurants, food, or snacks. I think those depend on your personal tastes. You can see the menus of the various eateries on AllEars: http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm#mgm

Enjoy your trip!
AnitaDisneyVacation is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
nooneshome
but us dis shutins-send help or APs

A better approach may be the don't dos. The number one don't do is the Drew Carey Sound thing.

A hidden gem is the Animation Academy located in the Magic of Disney Animation show. All the headliner attractions are a must at DHS.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Lori1960
Mouseketeer

Most do"s

Like the other person said it should be don:t do"s. I don"t do backlot tour not as good as uded to be since they added another city and the car stunt car.Also dont eat at Brown Derby
Lori1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
onejellyshelly
Mouseketeer

I am not sure if you have little ones but if you do the Little Mermaid Show is cute and there is a character greeting right across from it. You will see characters from the disney tv shows.
09/09~POP
10/08~Movies

onejellyshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
gigi729
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes

An absolute must do is the Fantasmic show! We think its one of Disney's best night time displays. We always do the Fantasmic dinner pkg, usually at Mama Melrose, but we have done Brown Derby and Hollywood & Vine, wouldn't go back to the H&V, Brown Derby is good but expensive, Cobb salad is awesome.

This allows you to receive Fantasmic vouchers when you dine and bypass the line to get into the audiotorium. This is very nice, especially at busy times, because it guarantees you a spot and you don't have to spend the recommended 1 hour + waiting in line to ensure your spot. It may be even more crucial now that they are only doing Fantasmic certain nights, I fear the crowds may be even larger. ADR can be made for the dinner pkg 90 days in advance and you can use DDP table service credits for this. (1 credit for MM and H&V, 2 for BD)

Agree with the OP on rides, Tower of Terror, Rock and Roller Coaster and Toy Story Mania. Great Movie Ride is a fun experience too, and we always love the Muppet 3-D show! Any Star Wars fans? Don't forget Star Tours.

gigi729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
Tigger1966
Addicted to Disney

My DW has allways wanted to see the Drew Carey show but it was allways closed when we were there I guess that was a good thing
1984 High School Graduation Present 1987 Honeymoon2002 Family Vacation 1 At The Fort 2003 Family Vacation 2 At The Fort 2005 Family Vacation 3 At The Fort 2006 Family Vacation 4 At The Fort 2008 Family Vacation 5 At The Fort 2009 Had a Great Time Despite The Flood 2010 Trip Down The Drain 2011 trip Was A Success

Tigger1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
Loritlc3
Mouseketeer

Wow this is really helpful! What is the deal with the Drew sound thing? Is it scary, boring or just bad?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
Kelblum
DIS Veteran

It's just OK. My children hated it because it is almost entirely in the dark.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

It was the first show I went to at HS (early Dec. 2006). I was walking by, and the CM announced 2 minutes to show. I walked in, and there were 8 other people in the audience!
The show is not much, certainly one of the most disappointing I have attended at WDW. You wear headphones for the binaural sound effect that produces. Most of the show is in pitch blackness. And it was just not that good.
However, I did enjoy the after-show. You can dub your voice over various actor's voices (Mickey is a famous actor, right? LOL) I really enjoyed this--turned around, and saw I was the ONLY person at the after show! You can also do some "Foley" effects there, etc.
Certainly not worth a long wait--your time would be spent more wisely elsewhere. But if you can walk in, I'd give it a try.

carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #11
Robindianne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1960 View Post
Like the other person said it should be don:t do"s. I don"t do backlot tour not as good as uded to be since they added another city and the car stunt car.Also dont eat at Brown Derby
That is so funny. Brown Derby is our must do restaurant. We've eaten dinner there every trip.

Robindianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:25 AM   #12
gymboqueenkaylee
DIS Veteran

check out the block party bash during the day. Also, the Beauty and the Beast Show is WONDERFUL!! I loved it and so did my girls (and they are small). Toystory Mania definately (I agree, get a fast pass, but get one early or there might be a situation like some have experienced where you can't because all have been distributed for that show that day thing). I personally thought this park was wonderful for character greetings. We saw the majority of our characters here and met them without much line or hassel. Fantasmic is a must must must too!!

A month in FL....what to do? Disney of Course! June 2015!!!
gymboqueenkaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
Loritlc3
Mouseketeer

Okay thanks for your help
So far i have Great Movie Ride-American Idol Experience
Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
Indiana Jones Stunt Show-30 minutes
Muppet Vision 3-D
-13 minutes
Lights, Motors, Action Stunt Show-33 minutes
Star Wars Tours
Playhouse Disney live on stage-22 minute show
Voyage of the Little Mermaid-15 minnutes S
Studio Backlot Tour-35 minutes
Toy Story mania
Beauty and the Beast-25 minutes
Block party bash-where is this?
Fantasmic-9PM

We are having lunch at Sci Fi Diner and still need to get a dinner and breakfast plnned. We are coming from all stars, Any eatery that is a must in your opinion?

Also My kids are 5 and 7 and have already decided against TOT anything else on my list that is not age appropriate?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
zarvgirl
Mouseketeer

Good luck......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loritlc3 View Post
Okay thanks for your help
So far i have Great Movie Ride-American Idol Experience
Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
Indiana Jones Stunt Show-30 minutes
Muppet Vision 3-D
-13 minutes
Lights, Motors, Action Stunt Show-33 minutes
Star Wars Tours
Playhouse Disney live on stage-22 minute show
Voyage of the Little Mermaid-15 minnutes S
Studio Backlot Tour-35 minutes
Toy Story mania
Beauty and the Beast-25 minutes
Block party bash-where is this?
Fantasmic-9PM

We are having lunch at Sci Fi Diner and still need to get a dinner and breakfast plnned. We are coming from all stars, Any eatery that is a must in your opinion?

Also My kids are 5 and 7 and have already decided against TOT anything else on my list that is not age appropriate?
DHS was the most frustrating park to plan due to all the showtimes and trying to fit them all in. If you can early EMH, could allow you to get all the rides in.(Star tours, TSM, great movie ride) But the shows weren't open for it.

Best advice is you should have a copy made out of all the show times before you arrive at park, have a basic plan, be prepared to improvise, we couldn't get into the Indiana Jones show we planned as it was full!!

Fantasmic was a family favorite.

Good luck planning, have a great trip!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

I went at a low attendance time (early December) and by judicious planning, was able to see every show except Playhouse Disney, which I don't think was performed the day I was there. So it is possible to see all the shows.

carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: