Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #106
purplepeg
DIS Veteran

Do you think the border guards have to take extra training on how not to smile even if you want to? I always get so stressed going through the border but am getting better the more I do it. I always smile real wide and am sugary sweet. It always kills me when I go across with the kids and I'm by myself not once have I ever been asked about a letter from dh for permission but without fail when we are returning to Canada, that's right, bring them back home, I ALWAYS get asked for the letterKinda late now isn't it? What exactly do the Canadian border guards want with that information? I'm on my way HOME!

Sorry you missed Target. Guess Dh figured since he missed the "toy store" you could miss TargetMen they are all the same are they not?

Love your organization. You'll make Queen proud. She's already done some of her index cards for August. Jasmine told me last year her mom would have rewritten some of mine because I had made a mistake and was too lazy to rewrite it, it was only two words! I suspect you'd be with Jasmine on that one?

Glad you got some "sleep".

Off Site 1996,All Star Music 1998,All Star Movies 2002, Pop Century 2004, Pop Century2006 ASMu 2008 DVC 2009BLT2009
Old 05-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #107
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeg View Post
Do you think the border guards have to take extra training on how not to smile even if you want to? I always get so stressed going through the border but am getting better the more I do it. I always smile real wide and am sugary sweet. It always kills me when I go across with the kids and I'm by myself not once have I ever been asked about a letter from dh for permission but without fail when we are returning to Canada, that's right, bring them back home, I ALWAYS get asked for the letterKinda late now isn't it? What exactly do the Canadian border guards want with that information? I'm on my way HOME!

Sorry you missed Target. Guess Dh figured since he missed the "toy store" you could miss TargetMen they are all the same are they not?

Love your organization. You'll make Queen proud. She's already done some of her index cards for August. Jasmine told me last year her mom would have rewritten some of mine because I had made a mistake and was too lazy to rewrite it, it was only two words! I suspect you'd be with Jasmine on that one?

Glad you got some "sleep".

I am having heart palpitations just thinking about the errors on your cards from last year That won't be happening this year, but how cute is Jasmine, how well she knows her mommy

Organization is the key to happiness.....at least that's what I keep telling myself I do have to buy a 3 hole punch though, I can't get my airline itinerary into my duotang.....it's bothering me...hang on, maybe I am a little OCD
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #108
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

Quote:
Do you think the border guards have to take extra training on how not to smile even if you want to? I always get so stressed going through the border but am getting better the more I do it.
I think some of them DO take extra training - I think the course is called "how to freak people out who've done nothing wrong"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Organization is the key to happiness.....at least that's what I keep telling myself I do have to buy a 3 hole punch though, I can't get my airline itinerary into my duotang.....it's bothering me...hang on, maybe I am a little OCD
Um ... yeah, you might be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondintheruff View Post
Shh! Don't tell anyone. They might kick you out of the country!
I know! Let's just keep that as our little secret

Quote:
Right back at you Ms. Iwatchedtheflightseverydayforlikesixmonths!
Well, OK, true, but.... your organization skills are WAY above mine, your binder proves it!

Quote:
You beat us. We'll be 13 years in June.
An early Happy Anniversary to you for next month!

Quote:
Tim Hortons sponsers many "Timbits" teams. They are usually the starter age group so your kids are probably too old now. If they have a team shirt that says Timbits then they are entitled to the free hot chocolate (or small cold drink in the case of soccer) and timbit after their game.
No Timbit team here - they're in Little League, no sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearDaisyinDurham View Post
you are so an enabler!!
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #109
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

I was completely following along until I got to the word you used for the Tigger folder. What is that word???

BTW, that convo your husband you had about the toy store was completely filthy in my mind...you should be ashamed of youself- this is a family board

I feel so bad that you missed Target. I was to go for you and send you something stupid from the $1 Spot!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #110
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
I was completely following along until I got to the word you used for the Tigger folder. What is that word???

BTW, that convo your husband you had about the toy store was completely filthy in my mind...you should be ashamed of youself- this is a family board

I feel so bad that you missed Target. I was to go for you and send you something stupid from the $1 Spot!
Did you declare ALL your purchases my dear?

Tinkerbelle, I hadn't heard of a duotang 'til I moved here. And the first time I heard a juice box called a Tetra pack, I was like WTH?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #111
Diamondintheruff
Thinks she saw a flash!

Quote:
Interesting, So purplepeg thinks we missed the Adult Store. I just said I would leave it up to your imaginations whether we did or whether we didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Organization is the key to happiness.....at least that's what I keep telling myself
Good Mantra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonglash View Post
but.... your organization skills are WAY above mine, your binder proves it!

Could all those who have a secret green binder stand please!

An early Happy Anniversary to you for next month!

Thanks!
Quote:

Duotang. Pronounced Do-o-tang. It's a folder with 3 metal prongs in it for paper. You have them you just don't call them this.

Apparently you have an active imagination too!

Sweet thanks for thinking of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DearDaisyinDurham View Post
Did you declare ALL your purchases my dear?

So according to Daisy we did go in and buy stuff at the Toy store. Interesting.

2013 Jan Offsite, 2012 Aug POR, 2010 July CSR, 2009 Oct CSR MNSSHP Weekend Adult Getaway!2009 April AKL 40th B-Day Trip with Dh only! 2008 August POR,2007Aug ASMu Family Suite, 1997 Off-site,1996 Disneymoon@Disney Institute,92,91,87,85,84 Off-site,84-78 Fort Wilderness Campground
Old 05-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #112
Diamondintheruff
Thinks she saw a flash!

Got my photopass CD today! I shared it with a friend.

Here is a teaser dedicated to those of you who feel I am taking too darn long getting to the part when I'm in Disney and you know who I'm talking about!

I've almost finished my next chapter. I meant to post it tonight but my computer took too long loading my photopass pictures. So it will be up Wednesday instead.

2013 Jan Offsite, 2012 Aug POR, 2010 July CSR, 2009 Oct CSR MNSSHP Weekend Adult Getaway!2009 April AKL 40th B-Day Trip with Dh only! 2008 August POR,2007Aug ASMu Family Suite, 1997 Off-site,1996 Disneymoon@Disney Institute,92,91,87,85,84 Off-site,84-78 Fort Wilderness Campground
Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #113
Diamondintheruff
Thinks she saw a flash!

Friday April 24, 2009 My Birthday Morning!

ďYeah well next time itís your turn.Ē Booms a loud male voice coming from the hallway.

I open my eyes and try to focus on the alarm clock to check out what time it is. Only the clock isnít on my side of the bed like at home. I had forgotten in my fatigue that I'm in a Hotel room. So the clock is on Dhís side. This involves a lot more commitment to movement than I actually want to do in order to check out the time. It can't be wake up time yet. I'm still too tired. I sit up to read the clock over my lump of a husband.

The clock reads 4:36.

Humph. Too early for me but apparently not to early for Mr. Boomingvoice in the hallway. He continues to banter back and forth with someone for a few minutes. I come to realize that while the Best Western may be clean it is not soundproof. Even Dh wakes ups.

ďWhat time is it?Ē He asks because like me he thinks the clock is on my side, which makes me the holder of the time.

ď4:30Ē

ďUghĒ He mumbles and then suddenly opens his eyes as smiles sweetly and says ďHappy 40th Birthday!Ē.

I melt a bit.

I'm still tired but not enough to go back to sleep. So I try to cuddle up into him and hope his sleepyness is catching. I can hear his breathing settle rhythmically and know heís where Iím not. Asleep.

I wish I could slip back into dreamland. Iím not a great sleeper. According to my Mother I never was. After three kids and many nights of broken sleep my body and I have come to an agreement. It needs 4 hours of straight sleep. Itís programmed not to ask for more than that. Now that the kids are older and sleeping better (notice I didnít say sleeping through the night) I really need to re-program my body. But that wasnít going to happen today. I was wide-awake.

I lay quietly in bed for some time willing myself to go back to sleep.

I started thinking about all the things I had planned for this weekend and soon I was too excited to even think about sleeping. How could I possibly sleep when in a few hours I would be on my way to Disney?

I looked over at Dh who was having no trouble sleeping. Around 5:30 I quietly slipped into the shower.

By the time our wake up call at 7am I was fully dressed and had re-read all the restaurant menus I had printed out and highlighted my choices for the weekend.

I greeted Dh brightly-probably too enthusiastically for the time of day.

ďItís my birthday and Iíll go to Disney if I want to, go to Disney if I want, go to Disney if I want toĒ I sang to the tune of ďItís my party and Iíll cry if I want toĒ.

He put a pillow over his head. Iím not sure if it was my singing or my energy he objected to.

ďCome on Hon, Itís time to get up and go. Iíve been waitingÖ.Ē I whined, pouted and I even crossed my arms with a huff. Hmm.. I wonder where the kids get this from?

With reluctance he got up and showered. Why is it that the men take so much longer to get ready?

All the while he had to listen to comments from me like ďDid I tell you space mountain was closed for refurbishment?Ē and ďDonít forget we get to order appetizers and desert since weíre on the deluxe menuĒ.

After what seemed like forever we were ready to head down for breakfast.

Breakfast is something else that Dh takes longer at than me. Heís not one to be rushed while eating. Since I knew we werenít having a real meal until dinnertime when we would be in WDW I encouraged him to make as many trips back up to the breakfast buffet that he liked. I knew it would be worth it to keep him happy even though it was killing me. I watched the news program they had on the TV and read some of the newspaper. Somewhere between watching him consume his fourth and fifth helping I had all I could take. I could wait no longer. I left him there eating breakfast and went on with my day.

I packed up our luggage, made a final sweep of the hotel room and loaded up the car. I was trying to maximize our time and keep Dh as happy as possible. Usually the loading of the luggage and the final hotel room sweep are done by him. Usually I make a point of not doing any jobs or chores that fall into Dh's realm. But today waiting for him to get around to doing his usual chores meant losing out on Target time.

My plan was to hit Target this morning before our flight. Our flight left around noon so we didn't have to be at the airport until after 10. I know Target opens at 8am so I figured I could spend about an hour there. Which by the way is about 55 minutes too long for Dh. Why I didnít think about leaving him at the hotel room and going myself Iím not sure. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Finally Dh pronounced himself done. He took a banana with him just in case. Iím thinking heís going to have to leave the banana in the Van all weekend and itís going to smell up the place but I didnít want to argue with him. I let him have his banana. I would deal with this later. I needed Dh to be in a happy mood when I was about to go on a spending spree at Target.

In fact I had yet to mention the idea of a morning trip to Target to Dh yet. I waited until he was totally stuffed and happy before hitting him up with it.

"I was thinking that since we're all packed up and ready to go that we could quickly go to Target now."

"You were, were you?"

Dh responded with a witty remark about going back to our room and getting our money's worth but I was determined to get my Target trip in. He relented. Actually he wanted to price compare some electronic stuff anyhow.

So we checked out and plugged in our GPS. Richard quickly found us the closest Target. Did I mention my fondness for Richard? The fact that he can locate the closest Targets and such just endears him closer to my heart.

Here is a picture of the Best Western. You can see the shuttle in the driveway they use to take you to the airport if you park there.

Here's Dh and I eager to head out shopping. Okay so maybe it was just me that was eager.

When we got to the van Dh suddenly remembered something. He rushed around bags looking for it. It was a note from the kids wishing me a Happy Birthday.

Very sweet. I read them, hugged them to my heart and then gave Dh a big hug.

"You know it's not too late to get our Hotel room key back again? You sure you would rather go shopping?" Dh asked hopefully.

Not a chance buster. I had Target on the brain.

Target was about 10 minutes away from the Best western. It was 8:25 am when I first saw the Red sign.

Ahhh.

Seeing the Target sign is almost as exciting as the first castle sighting for me. I love Target that much.

Once I entered those double doors and grabbed my plastic cart I was off. I ignored Dh. I have no idea what he did or where he was for my time there. I know he didnít eat his banana. Frankly I didnít care what he did. This was my time. I flew from department to department filling up the cart with potential purchases. Stuff for me, the kids, the house. You name it-if it tickled my fancy I put it in the cart.

I drive Dh crazy when I shop so it was just as well that he stayed away. He doesnít like my theory to shopping. I grab anything that looks like a possibility and put it in my cart. I sort through the stuff later. So by the end of my store tour I have a pretty full cart. It never fails to give Dh a coronary looking at the pile of stuff in my cart.

I donít mean to buy everything in the cart though. I still need to sort. So when Iím back at the front I grab another empty cart, move off to the side and then I start deciding whether the things are worth buying or not. I donít have to double back through the store looking for something later. Itís all in my cart with me. Itís kind of like a power shop. Anyhow it works for me and my thinking patterns. I feel it saves time. Dh feels otherwise. But then, he doesnít like shopping anyhow so his opinion doesnít count. And it is my birthday. So there. Is there a smilie that sticks their tongue out?

That trip I ended up with a new pair of school shoes for me, black flats that are still sporty enough for gym class but dressy enough not to look like running shoes and a new pair of Capri pants. I bought a few items for each of the kids (mostly sporty stuff like the boys got shorts made out of the quick dry material and PJís). A couple food items that we canít get in Canada like Cookie Crisp cereal, Rice Chex, Cheery Coke, rainbow goldfish and pink icing covered animal crackers. Nothing for Dh though. All in all I spent a little over $120 American. Not too bad for a power shop. But I need to backtrack. There was a problem with my purchase.

I swiped my card through the machine at the cash myself and waited for the screen to show the rectangle I needed to sign my John Henry to. I saw Dh hovering nearby. Good he wasnít at the cash to see the actual total.

I was hoping to keep the actual amount from Dh at least for now. Eventually he will see the bill but since we were on vacation mode we donít talk prices. It makes our vacation all that much more enjoyable for us all to save the money talk until we get home. Even the kids know the drill. Let Mommy pay. It's sort of an unspoken agreement.

It waited for some time for the familiar "sign here" screen to arrive.

It never came.

Instead I got an "Oh dear" from the cashier.

This is never a good sign.

It seems our joint credit card wasn't working.

I had to call Dh over to pay for it with his business card.

I was mad at him thinking he hadn't paid our latest credit card bill. Of course we were also worried that someone might have used our card and now it was over it's limit. We weren't very pleasant with each other.

We called the credit card company from the store. It seems that our last month's bill was paid (I had some apologizing to do to Dh) but that there was recent suspicious activity on it. For my own security the credit card company was putting a hold on the card. The suspicious activity turned out to be me. I had been out to Seattle and Vancouver lthe weekend before and now here I was in Buffalo New York trying to use it again. I had to answer some security questions to get the hold released. Then I informed them that we were heading to Disneyworld. I needed my card to while in Disney. The credit card company noted our Disney vacation in my account. They said it would be ready to use.

With our Target purchases loaded into the Van and my apologies expressed we took off for the airport again.

Guess which one of us declared their hunger? Click here to find out http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=125

Last edited by Diamondintheruff; 06-05-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #114
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Guess which one of us declared their hunger?
The one who ate the banana??!

Oh I'm so glad you got to Target. i was feeling really selfish that I go there several times a week

You and the DH don't get too much alone time do you???
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #115
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

If it's any consolation, I wouldn't have been able to sleep either I laughed so hard at the "wink" references - that is SO my dh too!

Woohoooo for you getting to Target!! I've never tried your cart approach, but it seems like it would work

What a cute card your children made for you - child-made stuff is the best!

My vote for who was hungry is also your dh - good thing they have food at the airport!
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #116
Nemo32
DIS Veteran

Update please?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #117
purplepeg
DIS Veteran

I think I would have been having heart failure at the credit card problem I'm all for security but don't get between me and my shopping

Not sleeping, man those kids owe us don't they? First they make us fat and uncomfortable and then wake us every night, umpteen times, and then when they finally do sleep we're still getting up because we don't know any other way. I've finally started sleeping better but I sure don't sleep well in a strange bed so even when I'm exhausted in Disney, I still don't sleep well. It's sad

Can't wait for more

Off Site 1996,All Star Music 1998,All Star Movies 2002, Pop Century 2004, Pop Century2006 ASMu 2008 DVC 2009BLT2009
Old 05-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #118
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:

I do believe that our Disney drawer has all of these books and duotangs as well. Some of the Dollar Stores finest I think.

This is a great trip report so far. I can't believe that your kids let you go knowing where you were headed. We still haven't told Declan about last summer.

I seem to be the only male on this trip report so I thought I would leave out the adult store thing.

BTW - has anyone ever told you your dh looks like a younger Russ Howard?
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Last edited by declansdad; 05-29-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #119
Diamondintheruff
Thinks she saw a flash!

Quote:
The one who ate the banana??!

Don't let this guy hear us talk about eating Bananas.

Oh I'm so glad you got to Target. i was feeling really selfish that I go there several times a week

I was pretty determined to get there. The bullseye was calling to me.

You and the DH don't get too much alone time do you???

No I guess we don't. We're usually too busy shuffling the kids back and forth to their activities to notice.
[QUOTE=lisalonglash;32022890]If it's any consolation, I wouldn't have been able to sleep either I laughed so hard at the "wink" references - that is SO my dh too!

I debated how and even if I should put the references in. Glad you enjoyed it.

Woohoooo for you getting to Target!! I've never tried your cart approach, but it seems like it would work

Try it-You might like it.

What a cute card your children made for you - child-made stuff is the best!

Definately!

My vote for who was hungry is also your dh - good thing they have food at the airport!

It seems he was always hungry for one thing or another on this trip (wink wink)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Nemo32;32024243]Update please?

Since you asked nicely. I'm working on it. Got a another dance competition this weekend to get through first.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I think I would have been having heart failure at the credit card problem I'm all for security but don't get between me and my shopping

You know it!

Not sleeping, man those kids owe us don't they? First they make us fat and uncomfortable and then wake us every night, umpteen times, and then when they finally do sleep we're still getting up because we don't know any other way. I've finally started sleeping better but I sure don't sleep well in a strange bed so even when I'm exhausted in Disney, I still don't sleep well. It's sad

Maybe you'll find the DVC beds more comfortable?

Can't wait for more

Coming up soon!
[QUOTE=declansdad;32036650]I do believe that our Disney drawer has all of these books and duotangs as well. Some of the Dollar Stores finest I think.

My Tigger folder needs to be retired. I somehow got a rip down it last trip. I've been searching for a new one but so far not happy with my local dollar store finds. Course that doesn't stop me from walking out of the store with $20 worth of stuff that I think I might need.

This is a great trip report so far. I can't believe that your kids let you go knowing where you were headed. We still haven't told Declan about last summer.

In the kids defense they did get a super charged weekend with their grandparents who spoilt them silly.

I'm just not good with keeping Disney related secrets. I would have leaked it out.

I seem to be the only male on this trip report so I thought I would leave out the adult store thing.

BTW - has anyone ever told you your dh looks like a younger Russ Howard?

I had to look him up. Curling guy right? No one has ever mentioned that. He used to get Anthony Edwards alot and when he has his winter beard he gets Chris Elliot. I will pass that on to Dh.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #120
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures

Yaaaay, you got to Target!!!

Oh my gosh, what is Cookie Crisp cereal? That sounds like something I NEED.

The birthday card from your kids is too cute!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: