Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #76
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

I'm subbing too! I am so excited for your PTR, because it's an adults only trip AND you are staying at AKL. I am staying there in July and I feel like no one who stays there writes TR Subbing!
1990-Carribean Beach**1992- Port Orleans** 1996-All Star Music** 2000-Off Site** 2001- Port Orleans/DCL** 2003 AKL/DCL** 2005- Boardwalk Inn** 2006- All Star Music**2008 All Star Sports**2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge** 2009 CSR Holiday Trip** 2009 Beach Club Holiday Trip**2010 POR Fall Trip (Engaged!)**2012 Wilderness lodge (expecting a baby!)**2014 Boardwalk Villas (With a 9 month old!)

UP NEXT: November 2014- Art of Animation!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #77
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures

Oooh I hope you get to Target! I was really bummed that we didn't get there in May... but since we're renting a car in June I have my fingers crossed that we'll be able to make a stop!

I totally understand wanting to take it slow with your TR. Eagerly awaiting the next update though!

Oh, and... I think picking a studio based on Disney trips is a completely acceptable reason!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #78
Diamondintheruff
Thinks she saw a flash!

Thursday April 23, 2009 Finally Leaving Home!

Obviously we did leave home eventually.

It just felt like a long time to me.

I had told my parents their babysitting duties would start after school. I had put them in charge of making dinner, driving Eeoyre (DS10) to and from dance, supervising homework and piano practice. Okay so I didn’t believe that they’d do the homework and piano practice but I had to at least mention it. In reality I had set up a date with the kids piano teacher so that the kids could practice with her. My parents are musically illiterate. Plus they are grandparents. They don’t exactly “tell” my children what to do. They suggest, they cajole and when necessary they bribe. I didn’t figure any of that would actually work on piano practicing.

So while I was waiting for my beloved hubby to finish whatever it was that was so important it was keeping us from starting our vacation and most importantly a trip to Target my parents were in full swing of unpacking lunches, making dinner, settling their own belongings in their room, playing games with the kids, giving them dinner, picking up Eeoyre from dance, bathtime, before bed reading time, washing up the dinner dishes and walking the dogs (mine and theirs). Most of these things were done by Nanny and even done with a smile. She is awesome. On top of all the things that she does for us she truly understands the kids. She “gets” them as people. I’m truly grateful for all her help (and Poppa’s).

I never even asked her if she would do this weekend for me. I just called her up (months before) and told her I wanted to go away with Dh for my 40th birthday and needed her to look after the kids.

“Should I put this on the calendar Dear?”

“Yes Mom”.

“All weekend Dear?”

“Yes. Well, like a long weekend. We want to go away from the Friday to the Monday” I answered her.

“So I should mark on the calendar that we’ll be coming up on Friday night and leaving on Monday afternoon?”

“Well, umm.. I was hoping that we would leave early Friday so I’d need you to already be there Friday morning.”

“So I’ll mark down Thursday night to Monday afternoon shall I?”

“Yes, Thursday night would be great. But umm… we might not get in until later on Monday night. I’ll have to check out the flights and get back to you okay?”

“Yes, I’m just marking this down in pencil on the calendar. When you book your flights then I will go over it pen. You did say you haven’t booked them yet right?”

In my Mother’s World there is a marked difference between activities on the calendar in pen and in pencil. Clearly she didn’t believe I would pull this weekend off.

“Not yet. But I will soon. I’ve got my eye on a direct flight coming home at a good price.”

“Now Dear, you are going to fly out of Toronto this time aren’t you?”

“The flights I’m looking at are so much cheaper out of Buffalo.”

“I can’t abide all that nonsense of flying out of another country. It just doesn’t seem right. Surely you can find something reasonable from Toronto. I hate the thought of you driving all those extra miles to that airport.”

It should be noted that my Mom retired from Air Canada. She feels even mentioning the names of other airlines and consequently competing airports is traitorous.

“I know you worry Mom. But I just can’t beat the prices flying out of Buffalo. I’ve done it a few times now and there’s nothing for you to worry about.”

“Now Dear, I’ll tell you when I have nothing to worry about.”

She didn’t quite believe this weekend was actually going to happen. I don’t know if she ever changed it from pencil to pen in her calendar. Regardless, she showed up ready for duty at the prescribed time with a smile on her face.

I thought I would add this part about my relationship with my Mother to illustrate just how long I was waiting for Dh. Long enough to spend time evaluating my relationship with my Mother.

Long enough that there was no reason to pick up a meal on the road as I ate dinner with the family.

Long enough to help clean up after dinner.

Long enough to ask Eeoyre (DS10) how his 2 hour dance class was as he was back from it.

Long enough to listen to Jedi (DS6) explain the star wars trilogy.

Long enough that my daughter taught me the Hannah Montana throwdown Hoedown dance BACKWARDS!

So in case you haven’t taken the hint it was a friggin gosh darn long time that I waited for that man!

It wasn’t easy getting out of the house. The kids (who seemed okay with the idea of Mommy and Daddy leaving when it was spoken about in a future tense) suddenly decided they didn’t want us to go. They were fine until Dh poked his head up out of the basement.

“Okay, I’m almost ready to go now. Have you packed my stuff yet?”

“Honey” now this was said in a very sarcastic voice “It’s been packed and loaded in the car for three hours now!”

“Oh, what time is it anyhow?’ He says innocently. Like he doesn’t know. The time is displayed on his monitor and he had a big clock up above his computer. I’m not buying any of his innocent act. He knows what time it is.

“Time to GO.”

At this word the troops fall in.

“You’re not going now Mommy are you?” Cindy (DD8) asks.

“Don’t go Mommy” Jedi (DS6) says as he throws himself against me.

“Take me with you” says Eeoyre (DS10). “I’ll be on time. I’m ready to go now. You can just leave Daddy here and take me.”

It seemed like a tempting thought at the time. Dh was not starting out in my good books.

“Aw guys, you know we love you but it’s time for Mommy and Daddy to have some time to themselves. We’ll be back soon (notice I don’t actually but a time limit to it) and you’ll have Nanny and Poppa to spoil you silly until we get back. You’ll probably have more fun than we will.” Not that I believe this because what is more fun than Disney but I have to put up a strong front for the kids.

They still don’t quite buy it and Cindy (DD8) runs to block the front door.

Then Jedi (DS6) runs to block the back door.

After some extra hugs, Nanny saved the day and distracted the kids with a package of sugar covered little donuts she had brought with her. Dh and I finally escaped while they consumed the white powdery baked goods in another room. They barely waved goodbye after the package was opened.

It was 8:10 when we finally drove out of the driveway. That is sooo much later than I wanted to leave that it bears repeating 8 fringging 10 in the evening.

We still had a three hour drive to get to our Hotel and a border to cross on the way.

I took the first shift driving. I was too impatient to sit there in the passenger seat. I had been sitting for hours already and I felt it was time for action.

“Do you know where you’re going?” Dh asks.

I’m thinking is this man for real? Do I know where I’m going? Of course I know where I’m going. I have preprogrammed our GPS and I have a printout from mapquest. I’m good to go. I have to take a few moments to calm myself before answering. After all he hasn’t paid any attention to amount of detail that I have put into this trip. He just knows I’m on the computer all the time. He hasn’t actually listened when I’ve shared information regarding this trip. I doubt if right now he could tell me what airline, what resort, what parks, what restaurants any information about this trip.

Wouldn’t it be blissful to just leave it all up to someone else.

Wait! No it wouldn’t. In fact I couldn’t stand not knowing where we were going or what we would be doing there.

Hello, control freak here. I could never just leave the planning to someone else. I’m the kind of person who reads the first 50 pages of a novel, and then has to read the end to find out what happens. Only then can I relax reading the rest of the story. I would never want someone else to plan my vacation.

So I guess I understand where he’s coming from. He didn’t want to know about the vacation when it was in the future. But now that it’s here in the present he wants to know. It’s like he works on a 4 hour time slot. He only wants to know what’s going on in the next four hours. I figured out the 4 hours because that’s how long he can go between meals.

Dh hates to but lots of time and effort into planning long term things. He’s a moment by moment kind of guy and I’m a I just figured out what we’re doing 9 months from now kind of girl. We cancel each other out. So I suppose it’s a good match.
Yes, that is why I married this man. He lets me plan things for him. He lets me pick out his wardrobe. He lets me plan. I love this about this man.

So why is that fact that he asked me if I knew where we were going bothering me. Am I thinking he doesn’t trust me? Cause that’s can’t be it. I shouldn’t let it bother me. I should just smile and say of course sweetie. I have the directions right here if you want to double check. I should just say these words. I know I should. Why am I still gritting my teeth in anger than?

Deep breathe Diamond. I tell myself. I can get through this. This is my husband that I love. (I know I keep dwelling on that but for some reason I needed reminding). We got off to a late start but not all is ruined. I can still have fun. I will have fun. I will enjoy Dh’s company. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Moments later after many deep breaths I relaxed my hands on the steering wheel and said

“I know where we are going. I have the directions right here if you want to take a look.”

I was proud of myself for not blowing up. That counting to 10 thing really does work.

“Oh, good!” he proclaims.

Then surprises me with a “Thanks for doing that”.

To finish me off with a “This is gonna be great. I’m really looking forward to it”.

I smiled sweetly at him. An honest to goodness real smile. No trace of sarcasm in it at all. Honest!

I let myself relax and realize he is right. It was going to be great. And I had been looking forward to going this vacation too. My guard is down once again. At least until he asks me about the upcoming exit on the highway.

“Are you going to stop at the Tim Horton’s coming up?”

I’m wondering if this is a trick question. You see my hubby has read “The Wealthy Barber” and all those financial books that say if you saved what you spend on designer coffee each day you’d have a fortune. Dh takes it seriously. He hates it when I buy a coffee anywhere. Why would you when you can make your own at home he thinks? Of course he doesn’t drink Coffee so it is no problem for him to give it up.

I have made myself a cup a tea for the road. In an old refillable mug from Disney. You know the "Year of a Million Dreams one". Of course that year was really two but who am I to question the Math Logic of Disney-me a lmere kindergarten teacher.

Since I had my tea there was no need for me to get a cup of coffee. He has seen me drink from the cup. We are just 10 minutes from home. Why would I need to get a cup of coffee now?

It's not that I don't like coffee. I do. I like Tea too. When I order from Tim Horton’s I especially like half decaf coffee and half hot chocolate. You see I can’t drink caffine after 5pm or so. It really keeps me up. Now if I need to stay awake then I will drink it but since I was already excited enough. I was on my way Disney. Who needs caffine to get excited about that? There was no danger of me falling asleep at the wheel.

There was a danger of irritating my husband though. I know he hates it when I have a timmies (this is what we Canadian’s use to refer to Tim Horton’s products in an affectionate manner). So I don’t know why he asking if I’m going to stop there.

Is this a test? I know I’m already spending copious amounts of money on our weekend escapade do I dare put him over the top with a cup of coffee? I don’t know what the right answer to this riddle is so I decide to throw the question back in his pocket.

“Do you want to stop at Tim Horton’s?” Picture my eyes as wide as

“If we can.” He replies.

I search his inflection for any sign of how much danger I might be in. I decide to test the waters again.

“Is there something you want to get there?” I ask.

“No. I just have to go to the restroom.”

UGHHH! Not even 15 minutes on the road and the man needs to find a restroom.

I should have know it wasn’t a test. Men don’t set us up on tests. It’s the other way around. Geesh I need to relax a bit. This is no way to start out on our vacation. Just when I think I’m okay with it when he throws another curveball my way.

“You can pick up something at Timmie’s if you want. I have some money.”

Okay, it’s amazing I didn’t get us run over on the highway right then and there. I was shocked. Here was my husband suggesting I spend our hard earned cash on designer coffee. Wow. This sort of thing doesn’t happen often.

Let’s hope this happy go lucky mood lasts the whole weekend.

But what are the chances? I muttered to myself as I drove up to the door of the rest station and let Dh out.

I would be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind to take off and leave him. If only I had the guts to do a solo trip I might have.

Up next crossing the border. Do they actually let me in this time? Click here to find out.http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=90

2013 Jan Offsite, 2012 Aug POR, 2010 July CSR, 2009 Oct CSR MNSSHP Weekend Adult Getaway!2009 April AKL 40th B-Day Trip with Dh only! 2008 August POR,2007Aug ASMu Family Suite, 1997 Off-site,1996 Disneymoon@Disney Institute,92,91,87,85,84 Off-site,84-78 Fort Wilderness Campground

Last edited by Diamondintheruff; 05-20-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #79
Diamondintheruff
Thinks she saw a flash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post

Happy Mother's Day my friend!!!!
Thank you. Had a lovely day. Hope yours was as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shordiebecka View Post
I'm subbing too! I am so excited for your PTR, because it's an adults only trip AND you are staying at AKL. I am staying there in July and I feel like no one who stays there writes TR Subbing!
We will eventually get to AKL. I promise. Glad to have you along for the ride. Hope you have a wonderful trip and stay there yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnpalm View Post
Oooh I hope you get to Target! I was really bummed that we didn't get there in May... but since we're renting a car in June I have my fingers crossed that we'll be able to make a stop!

I totally understand wanting to take it slow with your TR. Eagerly awaiting the next update though!

Oh, and... I think picking a studio based on Disney trips is a completely acceptable reason!
Welcome back!

I hope I get to Target too!

Eeoyre tried out the new studio last night. He really like the Ballet Mistress and she pulled me aside and told me she was impressed with him. So it looks like all systems go and that means soon I can start planning for another trip to Disney!

2013 Jan Offsite, 2012 Aug POR, 2010 July CSR, 2009 Oct CSR MNSSHP Weekend Adult Getaway!2009 April AKL 40th B-Day Trip with Dh only! 2008 August POR,2007Aug ASMu Family Suite, 1997 Off-site,1996 Disneymoon@Disney Institute,92,91,87,85,84 Off-site,84-78 Fort Wilderness Campground
Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #80
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

You look a little shady to me so I'm guessing that you have problems at the border. But since I'm also a "read-ahead" kinda gal...I already looked at all your pics on FB so I know that you eventually get across
Old 05-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #81
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Oh my....you truly have the patience of a saint!!! Me...not so much!! My head would have been spinning around....ask Jasmine, she's seen it! I am one of those people (Jas calls me a freak) who checks 13 times on the way to the airport that I have our passports.....

I hope you got to Target.....I love love love that store!!! My best friend Brenda, her daughter Kayla, Jasmine and I are are heading to Fargo on Sunday for a 3 day getaway I am not going to lie to you....I get down on my hands and knees and kiss the floor when we walk into Target

Jas is so excited...the girl has a slight obsession with Hollister and Abercrombie....I have heart palpitations when I see the amount of cloths she has to try on....then I get the look....you know the one....."but I really love it all mom".... And I do what I do, get out the 'ol credit card!!

Peg will be on here in no time saying I was the one that created this shopping crazed monster....errr daughter I do love to shop, but only get that glazed eye look when we're in Grand Forks or Fargo...never get it here, no, here is a chore to shop!! It's not a true shopping trip unless you have to clculate your purchases, hope to God you're within your $400 limit each, remember to get the exchange rate the day you leave, god knows it makes a difference.....and get to talk to the wonderful customs officers

Can't wait for more....I'll fill you in next week on our adventures!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #82
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

I was absolutely cracking up at your description of waiting for your DH. I would have been flipping out, kudos to you for seething on the inside.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #83
Nemo32
DIS Veteran

I need more updates, please?

Hurry and get to the part where you are at the AKL AND IN WDW!!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #84
tinkermamaof2
Mouseketeer

Location: Not too far from Toronto, close enough to shop in the States, Too far away from Disney

Glad to see that you made it through the blockade of your children! A stop at Timmies to use the washroom? Hmmmm, doesn't sound familiar to me, my nerves grate when we are driving to the airport as my husband always has to stop after making me wait forever, I also try my best to be nice...you did a good job, I often lose my cool and feel very stressed when I try not to. I love my husband, but he drives me insane when we travel! I really hope you get to Target, my girls and I always stop there after we go to Galleria Mall, it's the best! Hope you are happy when you get to AKL!!!

Patti

All Star Movies-2005
AKL Savannah View February 2008
Universal March 2012-Royal Pacific Resort
Universal March 2013-Hard Rock Hotel
Disneys Tower Of Terror Ten Miler October 2013
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #85
purplepeg
DIS Veteran

Well, well, well, another tr by Diamond. I am happy to be along for the rideNow really get on with it already, I'm here and I know you were waiting for me before things really got started

Ok, seriously, I would have killed my husbandAnd you know he was just trying to butter you up "letting" you get a Tim'sYou are a better woman than I.

Now seriously, GET ON WITH IT!

Off Site 1996,All Star Music 1998,All Star Movies 2002, Pop Century 2004, Pop Century2006 ASMu 2008 DVC 2009BLT2009
Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #86
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

yes! they HAVE to let you in!! and your poor DH, if he thinks timmies is expensive what about starcrack??
Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #87
Diamondintheruff
Thinks she saw a flash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
You look a little shady to me so I'm guessing that you have problems at the border. But since I'm also a "read-ahead" kinda gal...I already looked at all your pics on FB so I know that you eventually get across
The border guards usually like to detain me and toy with me for a while. My paperwork for my student visa wasn't done properly and it will live to haunt me forever it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Oh my....you truly have the patience of a saint!!! Me...not so much!! My head would have been spinning around....ask Jasmine, she's seen it! I am one of those people (Jas calls me a freak) who checks 13 times on the way to the airport that I have our passports.....

Better to check than to arrive empty handed I would think. Actually I know. I have forgotten it before!

I hope you got to Target.....I love love love that store!!! My best friend Brenda, her daughter Kayla, Jasmine and I are are heading to Fargo on Sunday for a 3 day getaway I am not going to lie to you....I get down on my hands and knees and kiss the floor when we walk into Target

I liken the way I feel entering the double doors at Target to the "welcome to Disney" sign on the roadway entering Disney property.

Jas is so excited...the girl has a slight obsession with Hollister and Abercrombie....I have heart palpitations when I see the amount of cloths she has to try on....then I get the look....you know the one....."but I really love it all mom".... And I do what I do, get out the 'ol credit card!!

Just last week Eeoyre announced he wanted a T-shirt with Hollister on it. He has no idea what it is but wants it anyway. So I guess I will be feeling your pain soon.

Peg will be on here in no time saying I was the one that created this shopping crazed monster....errr daughter I do love to shop, but only get that glazed eye look when we're in Grand Forks or Fargo...never get it here, no, here is a chore to shop!! It's not a true shopping trip unless you have to clculate your purchases, hope to God you're within your $400 limit each, remember to get the exchange rate the day you leave, god knows it makes a difference.....and get to talk to the wonderful customs officers

I've got it down to a science now. When I go through the till at Target I make them ring up three or four seperate bills. All my clothes go on one bill where I shred the bill and tear off the tags immediately. The kids clothes go on another which I may declare or may not depending upon the overall spending and of course things that I must declare go on another.

Can't wait for more....I'll fill you in next week on our adventures!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I was absolutely cracking up at your description of waiting for your DH. I would have been flipping out, kudos to you for seething on the inside.
If I flipped out everytime Dh drove me round the bend I'd be in the looney bin by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo32 View Post
I need more updates, please?

Hurry and get to the part where you are at the AKL AND IN WDW!!!!
Impatient now aren't we? It's a short trip. I have to streeetch it out. But I will have an update tomorrow for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermamaof2 View Post
Glad to see that you made it through the blockade of your children! A stop at Timmies to use the washroom? Hmmmm, doesn't sound familiar to me, my nerves grate when we are driving to the airport as my husband always has to stop after making me wait forever, I also try my best to be nice...you did a good job, I often lose my cool and feel very stressed when I try not to. I love my husband, but he drives me insane when we travel! I really hope you get to Target, my girls and I always stop there after we go to Galleria Mall, it's the best! Hope you are happy when you get to AKL!!!

Patti
No matter how crazy Dh drives me I was determined not to let it undermine my thrill at being at Disney. I'm not a huge Galleria Mall fan. I used to love Steve and Barry's so years ago I would go but now I usually prefer the outlets. Apparently my DS10 Eeoyre is discovering Hollister and Abercrombie stuff so I guess I will have to take more side trips to Galleria again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeg View Post
Well, well, well, another tr by Diamond. I am happy to be along for the rideNow really get on with it already, I'm here and I know you were waiting for me before things really got started

Ok, seriously, I would have killed my husbandAnd you know he was just trying to butter you up "letting" you get a Tim'sYou are a better woman than I.

Now seriously, GET ON WITH IT!
I love how the pot is calling the kettle black! "Get on with it" she says. Hummpht. Patience my dear, you know like I had to have waiting for your report to be finished. Oh wait. It's not finished yet is it?

All kidding aside. I promise to do an update weekly. Each week. I should be posting a new one tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearDaisyinDurham View Post
yes! they HAVE to let you in!! and your poor DH, if he thinks timmies is expensive what about starcrack??
Oh we don't mention the Star... companies name. When we go away for March Break there was a Star.... store practically next door. I had to save up "my" money to buy myself a treat each morning. It was best for our marriage if I didn't consume it in his presence. All our friends travelling with us loved to bug Dh with guesses at how much money I had wasted there so far this trip. It became a game of sort as in today she has spent enough to fill half a tank of gas. He's famous for his frugality in our circles. Of course when someone wants advice on saving money or a second opinion if something is a good price Dh is the first place they go.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #88
purplepeg
DIS Veteran

oh I do love to egg you on. But my report is almost finished, just the flights home now and that is just so sad!

Off Site 1996,All Star Music 1998,All Star Movies 2002, Pop Century 2004, Pop Century2006 ASMu 2008 DVC 2009BLT2009
Old 05-20-2009, 12:47 AM   #89
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

So I'm reading your last installment and I'm thinking "how in the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is her head not exploding holding all that in?!" I'm telling you, you are WAY more patient than I am! I'm glad you finally got on the road and I hope you REALLY enjoyed that surprise coffee I'm always surprised at how much cheaper Tim's is compared to Starbucks - I went to Tim's this evening to get English toffee coffee for me, a mocha for dh and a hot chocolate for ds#2 (so we didn't freeze to death watching ds#1's baseball game LOL) and the total was only just over $5.00!

Can't wait for the next update!
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
Old 05-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #90
Diamondintheruff
Thinks she saw a flash!

Thursday April, 2009 Crossing the Border!

So we make a brief pit stop at Timmies. In Dh’s defense it was quick. I declined getting anything to drink as I had my homemade Tea and if my calculations were correct my Tea would require us to stop in an hours time anyway. I didn’t need to add any more liquid to the mix.

As I’m pulling away Dh casually mentions the Toy store around the corner.

“You know the Adult Toy Store is just around the corner.”

“Ahem..” I answer as casually as Dh.

“There are open until 9. Did you want to stop in?” He’s smiling now.

“How do you know how late they are open to?” I asked.

He just shrugged and continued smiling.

We bantered back and forth teasing each other until we…

I think I will just leave you guessing what became of that conversation. The imagination is a wondrous thing.

Although, I will tell you that even the mention of that store was enough to push Dh over to the “Happy Side”. He was in a great mood after that.

As we pulled back on to the 401(our major highway) I turned on the radio. The radio is usually a source of conflict between Dh and I. You see I like to listen to music while driving. I’ve been known to barrel down the freeway belting out dance tunes like I was auditioning for Canadian Idol.

Dh on the other hand prefers “talk radio”. He especially enjoys the show “Leaf Lunch”. As you can probably infer from the name it is an hour-long program at lunchtime devoted exclusively to the Maple Leaf Hockey Team. He will listen to podcasts of it.

Now, I haven’t gotten around to listening to podcasts on Disney yet. One of the main reasons being that-I often can’t get access to a radio. You see, I can’t stand more than one sound medium on at a time. So if the radio is on, I can’t have the television on as well.

Frequently as it is the case at my house that the kitchen computer will be playing one of Dh’s podcast, he will have the kitchen radio on and in the adjoining room the kids will have the television on. On a good day, I can hear Dh’s bathroom radio (he showers in the Manroom downstairs exactly under the kitchen) while I’m at the kitchen computer too. It’s just too much for my ears.

I find it funny that Dh will run around the house turning off lights to save money but ignores the sound outlet fact. How he can ignore me harping on him about it is yet another mystery.

Should any of the radios let out some static I go completely berserk. Static physically hurts me. You might as well be stabbing me with a knife. I can’t ignore it or work through it. Static drives me totally crazy. Driving up north to the cottage we start to lose radio stations to static. It’s a problem for me. I make sure it’s a problem for everyone else too.

So, in case you couldn’t tell, the ownership of the radio while driving is a sore spot between Dh and I. Often the driver gets to do the choosing. So I often choose to drive.

Since it was my birthday trip and since I was driving, I decided to take command of it. I switched it on to one of my favorite pop music stations.

Just starting up was the song “I want to take a ride on your disco stick” by Lady Gaga (I believe). Dh hadn’t heard it before. He listens to the words in songs. Me, I just sing them. I hadn’t really paid attention to these words. So when Dh starts questioning the wording and in light of our conversation about the Adult Toy store it all seems so very very funny. We head into Toronto breaking out in laughter about our marketing plans for a “disco stick”.

The ride through Metropolitan Toronto was uneventful. We got a little somber passing the Ford Plant in Oakville. We live close enough to the GM plant in Oshawa to have friends and neighbors that have been laid off already from there. Years ago Dh worked as a computer programmer in a factory that made car parts for the big 3. No matter how I feel personally about the politics behind the automotive industry it’s hard to deny the depression that many people who are no longer employed by the industry and its offshoots.

Around Hamilton, my Tea starts talking to me. We find another Tim Horton’s to stop at. This time I use the facilities and get myself a Hot Chocolate. Dh doesn’t even bat an eyelash at this. Of course he doesn’t offer “his” money either. But I can scrounge up enough coin to cover a small drink. He drives this next round.

There are three bridges you can take to cross into the States. We opted for Queenston-Lewiston. It’s usually the busiest but since it was almost 11pm I figured we were safe. We pull into the Duty Free. We decide to get the double pack of Baileys. It’s got two bottles (in a lovely clear beach bag) for $40 Canadian.

I say we decided but really it was I. Dh really wanted to get some beer. I convinced him we needed the Bailey’s for my parents. They love it in their coffee in the morning at the cottage and this way we would be done with a present for them. He took the guilt bait and walked away from the beer. Dh doesn’t like coffee (I know I already mentioned this but just in case you forgot) and he doesn’t like Baileys either. I knew I had a good chance of scoring some of this Baileys while I was at the cottage so the idea was much more appealing to me.

We put the Baileys under our seats in a stow and go compartment. Totally love the stow and go. The rest of the van pretty much sucks but the stow and go rocks. At this point I had forgotten that we were now over our alcohol limit. I had an open bottle of coconut rum in my bag to take with us. Dh had a couple of beer in his bag. Actually at the time I didn’t know he had brought the beer. It was one of the few things he packed himself. That and his toothbrush and he is good to go. Sigh…

We decided I would be the one driving when we crossed the border. I’m better at the “smooching” thing. We double-checked that we had our passports, and our hotel and airline printouts. We were good to go.

I’m not fond of the narrow bridge thing. I have some vertigo issues. I try not to look down. There is another bridge we take in Kingston across the thousand islands that is worse though. Too high and too much water. At least it was dark so I tried to keep looking straight ahead. Dh did his little speech when we crossed the flagpoles at the top.

“No man’s land coming up. Get ready to commit a crime. It’s coming… it’s coming… Okay do a crime…. NOW! Opps we lost our chance.”

Every time we cross over he does a variation of this. Is there even such a thing as no man’s land? Maybe I need to bring up the subject on the next open mike on a talk radio show.

We ascend back down the bridge and can just make out the border gates. It’s always a surprise what you will find. It might be busy. It might not be. Now I was pretty sure it wouldn’t be busy but you never know.

I was right.

It wasn’t busy.

One guard was open and one car ahead of us. At least once I’d like to skip my usual picking the slowest lane ritual. But there was only one lane. By default it was the slowest lane.

The guard did his best not to be in a good mood.

“How many people in the car and what are your nationalities?” doomed the guard.

“Two. My husband and myself. We’re Canadian.” I hand over our passports.

He swipes them. I cross my fingers. I have been pulled over many times. It was a faulty student visa I had a few years ago. Last year I bit the bullet and registered myself with Homeland security. I filled out buckets of paperwork. I got a letter back in the mail that could neither confirm nor deny that Homeland security had deemed me a security risk. They could only confirm that they got my paperwork. They already had my fingerprints.

I’ve crossed enough times to know the drill by now. After the guard swipes my passport, if he manually types in something then I’m doomed. It’s off to the “Big House” for questioning. If he just holds the passport and continues asking questions then I’m okay.

With batted breath I watched him swipe my passport computer code. I waited to see what he would do next.

He read something on the screen, furrowed his eyebrows and then swiped again.

Oh No.

They might have changed the process. It looks like this is an extra step and I resign myself to a couple hours wait next door.

I look longingly at my Hot Chocolate. I’d better not drink it. They don’t let you go to the bathroom while you wait in detainment. I guess they are afraid you might leave, ingest, hide, or otherwise destroy some evidence while you are waiting.

Mr. Double swipe moseys on out of his guardhouse.

“Where are you headed and what is the purpose of your trip?”

“It’s my 40th birthday and we’re going to Disneyworld!” I’m a little over excited with my response.

“How long are you staying and do you have anything to declare?” Mr. I’m in capable of asking one questions at a time asks.

“Just the weekend and we picked up two bottles of Bailey at duty free as a present for my parents who are looking after our children”

Here comes the shocker. The guard smiles. Yes, he did. No guard who has ever sent me in for questioning has ever smiled at me.

This is a good sign.

“Let me get this straight. You are going to Disney and you aren’t taking your kids?” He asks.

“Yup” I replied.

“Well, I guess you better be buying them some big gifts cause I know my kids wouldn’t be speaking to me if the wife and I did that.”

With that remark he handed me back our passports, patted our car and sent us on our way with a “Have a good time and Happy Birthday” and a wink at Dh.

We made it through.

Yeah!

I waited until I was out of sight to do my happy dance of relief.

In truth there is not much time for it. For we didn’t have much time before we had to pull out the mapquest and look for the I90 or 290 or whatever. There are a bunch of exits on a bunch of roads that all have the same numbers in them and it confuses the heck out of me.

A minor spat with Dh took place over the GPS. I wanted to use it. He didn’t. He hasn’t spent much time with it. I won. It was my birthday trip after all. He started up the GPS. The calming tone of Richards voice was soon heard.

“Turn right and take the Highway,” coos Richard. All is well again. Or at least for a while. We cross the two bridges. Narrow one-lane bridges. We pay our toll too. I am familiar with this part of the drive.

Soon things stop looking familiar.

“Where is Richard taking us?” I ask. Dh hasn’t been to Buffalo the amount of times I have. So it wouldn’t look familiar to him.

We hit another toll road. I don’t usually hit another one. I was confused. But I put my trust in Richard. Maybe it’s his English accent? He just seems so trustworthy, that I relax and just drive. It turns out he knew where he was going. We had to pay a toll of .15 cents though.

We had arrived at the Airport Hotel. It was 11:40 pm. So in case you haven’t guessed.

No Target for me. Sigh.

We checked in. I picked this hotel because it has a big breakfast. Dh is just that much happier with a full tummy from breakfast. And one that he doesn’t have to pay extra for adds icing to the cake.

We unloaded the van and I skipped into the hotel lobby. Yes, me on the last day of 39th year skipped. Count this as Skip Number One. It happens again. I can’t remember the last time I skipped out of joy. I didn’t even realize I was skipping until Dh mentioned it. He probably thought I was skipping because we were checking into a hotel by ourselves. Sorry to disappoint him. It wasn’t the thought of being alone with him in a hotel that had me skipping. It was the thought that my journey to Disney had started that had me skipping. But I didn’t want to squash Dh’s good mood and point that out.

Our room was okay.

Closer to the window you might be able to see my Hey's park bag. It's lime green. Dh carries a black one. I like it but lately have been noticing all the vera bradly bags. Not that I could get Dh to carry to one. I'm talking me. I like the look of them.

But back to my hotel description. Did I mention it was a Best Western? We had stayed here before so I knew what to expect. Not crazy about the smell of the cleaning products they use but since I wasn’t paying a whole lot of money and it was clean (with the free breakfast) I was happy.

I got organized for the morning. Dh turned on the TV and lounged on the King Bed.

I laid out our outfits for the next day, packed up our carry on luggage and sorted through our paperwork.

I have a tinkerbell folder to hold all our Disney stuff in.

Inside it is a tigger duotang with our flight and tonights hotel information as well as mapquest to and from the airport and hotel and a piglet duotang for our Disney Hotel and magic express information. I also have turqoise lined notebook I use as my journal to write down each day as it happens and a purple disney photo album that has become my Disney Bible. It might have been meant to be a photo album at one time but had been used as my Disney Bible for all our trips. It holds all my print outs from Tour Guide Mike, our daily plans and possible back up plans as well as sample touring pocket guides from the Unofficial Guide.

Just looking at them makes me happy.

I wanted to go over tomorrow with Dh. I opened to tomorrow’s page and began.

“Tomorrow we will drive to the airport and park in lot A.” I started.

“Why aren’t we parking here and taking their shuttle like we did last time?” He asked.

“We’re saving $15 dollars by parking ourselves. And I have a coupon.” I answered waving it in my hand with a twinkle in my eye.

“A coupon eh.” Dh said mischievously with more than a twinkle in his eye. “That’s my kind of girl. Why don’t you bring your coupons and such over here where I can see them better” he suggested patting the bed beside him.

Knowing full well that it wasn’t our Disney plans on his mind I answered in my best school teacher’s voice “Not until you pay attention to the plans first.”

With a resigned look in his eyes he said “Fine.”

So we went over the plans for tomorrow and went to bed. There was even some sleeping involved. Click here to read about the next morning http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=113

Last edited by Diamondintheruff; 05-27-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: