Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
nicoleakr
DIS Veteran

Question Mousekeeping tips ?

There has been a lot of discussion about tipping mousekeeping. I know it's not a tipping position. However I always leave a tip. On one of the other post it stated that the mousekeepers are NOT alllowed to keep the tips and that they have to be given to management. It was even stated that they can be terminated if found taking a tip. So here is my question is this true? If they are not allowed to keep them then there really is no point in leaving them. I want it to go to the person NOT management.

2013 Beach Club
2011Grand Flordian grand gathering
2009 Grand Flordian
2008 Contemporary
2006 Grand Flordian[/FONT]
nicoleakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
J&J
DIS Veteran

tip

how would anyone know? you leave the tip thr maid comes in very happy someone thought of her. many times we have left a tip. once because we wanted a certrain maid to get it, we left it at the front desk with her name on it. Nice people should be give a thank you in words and in deeds.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

I have read on these boards that tips for Mousekeeping was either;

Allowed
Not allowed
Turned over to management
Refused
Pooled for charity

Mousekeeping is a non-tipped position. I am sure Disney is fully aware of Mousekeepers receiving tips...how they choose to deal with it is out of our hands. I guess it boils down to using your own discretion and being at peace with letting your money go where it was intended. I've always heard that a simple letter praising your Mousekeeper/CM's job was worth WAY more to them than $$$.

At the Walt Disney World Resort, it is customary to tip the following positions for exceptional service: bartender, bell services, cocktail server, food and beverage server and valet parker.

DL & WDW * FW Cabin 3x * AKL CL 2x * Poly CL * CR CL * AKL Savannah * POFQ * POR

Lehuaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
blissventure
Thinks oeufs ā la neige is the best dessert that was ever invented!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleakr View Post
There has been a lot of discussion about tipping mousekeeping. I know it's not a tipping position. However I always leave a tip. On one of the other post it stated that the mousekeepers are NOT alllowed to keep the tips and that they have to be given to management. It was even stated that they can be terminated if found taking a tip. So here is my question is this true? If they are not allowed to keep them then there really is no point in leaving them. I want it to go to the person NOT management.
Well, I tend to rely on my past experience. Housekeepers at Disney have thanked me for tips, left a little note and so on. I don't worry about the issues brought up by other 'experts' on Disney. It's their opinion, only. Sometimes it seems the most vocal are those that have pretty strong feelings against tipping. Nothing wrong with not tipping, it's a choice, period.

We are frequent travelers. Tipping housekeeping is something we do, at Disney, as well as all our other hotel stays. It works well for us.

blissventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuaann View Post
I have read on these boards that tips for Mousekeeping was either;

Allowed
Not allowed
Turned over to management
Refused
Pooled for charity

Mousekeeping is a non-tipped position. I am sure Disney is fully aware of Mousekeepers receiving tips...how they choose to deal with it is out of our hands. I guess it boils down to using your own discretion and being at peace with letting your money go where it was intended. I've always heard that a simple letter praising your Mousekeeper/CM's job was worth WAY more to them than $$$.

At the Walt Disney World Resort, it is customary to tip the following positions for exceptional service: bartender, bell services, cocktail server, food and beverage server and valet parker.
Your comment about praising the housekeeper by writing a letter reminded me of an experience we had 2 years ago at the CR...

We had an excellent housekeeper whom we tipped daily. One day she came before I had put out her tip. I noticed the cart in the hallway and brought the tip to her. I handed it out to her and she said (in broken English) that wasn't necesssary. I tried again and she asked me to please tell mgt. that she did a good job. She said it was more important than the money and that they are then entered for some kind of monthly prize. I was very surprised that she wouldn't take the money directly from me, but she (and all other Disney housekeepers over the years) did take it from the room all the other days. My DH wonders if it's either a union rule or just a Disney rule, that since they are a non-tipped position (unlike a restaurant server) that they can't be seen accepting a tip or else they might get in trouble, but often they will take them behind the closed doors of the room.

I did go to the front desk concierge and asked to fill out a form to let Disney know about our great housekeeper. Their response was "Oh, we don't have any forms or anything for that kind of stuff. All I can do is give you a blank piece of paper." Zero encouragement by them to commend an employee.

Slightly:Whatever happened to the comment cards they used to put in Disney resort rooms years ago? I'd hate to think they just don't care about our opinions (both good and bad) anymore. I couldn't even get one from the front desk of the CR 2 years ago.
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
risingsunmom
Mouseketeer

I really hope the mousekeepers get to keep their tips. If the server bringing me my food is deserving of 20% of the bill. Then the person cleaning the room (I paid $$$$ to stay in) deserves to keep every tip they get.

I wouldn't hesitate to fill out a comment card for an exceptional employee, but comment cards don't pay the bills.
risingsunmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Tiffany_PartyOf7
Missing My Mouse

We tip I don't know how Disney would know if Mousekeeping kept their tips or not? But I would sure hope they get to keep them.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I visit WDW three times each year and I always leave tips. I haev been encouraged to do so by the luggage people as well. I have been left cute notes, smiley faces and more towel animals for doing so. Not sure about FL, but in TN a "non tipped" position means that you do not have to pay minimum wage as the tips are to make up a good part of the salary. I do know mousekeepers are paid at least minimum wage, so that would imply that can keep their tips, but they are not a guarateed part of their salary.

The note idea is sweet--but you are assuming literacy in English, which is not always the case. I've had trouble trying to leave notes to request extra towels, etc.--the Mousekeepers had to bring in "interpreters."
Old 04-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
jennipooh
Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon

It's my understanding that Mousekeeping, like waiters, can keep tips.

However, it is Disney policy that CM's in positions which control your reservations, room assignments and table assignments such as managers, hostesses, front desk staff, and Concierge (including club level) cannot accept tips, but can accept small gifts of gratitude (not cash). My thinking is that keeps the Disney Magic from being "bought and sold" by those willing to slip some extra cash for a better view, etc. That's just my understanding.

It's just ds and me and we just tip $2/day. That really is a token amount, but I feel it is appropriate to tip something to show our gratitude even if we don't have to. Most of those who tip mousekeeping seem to tip between $1 and $2 per person, per day.

jennipooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Raevyn_Wolfe
My neighbor is Mickey Mouse!

As a mousekeeper (not one anymore, thankfully - bless anyone that can do that hard, hard work for any length of time) I received tips, I was always told we were allowed to receive tips, management knew we got tips and sometimes would even flat out ask if a certain room (one with alot of special requests, etc) left a good one or not.

I would recommend someone leave a small one every day versus a big one at the end of their stay. Mousekeepers can rotate, have days off, etc and so you may not always be tipping who you think you are. Generally, ya mousekeepers have their sections, but it's not always guarenteed.

And honestly not a lot of people tip. So I would make sure to spend that little extra time in rooms that did. And always tried to make it a point to leave a towel animal in the rooms that tipped. Don't get me wrong, I would try and leave special touches in ALL my rooms but it's just not always possible every day. . . but if there was a tip I didn't want the guest to think their generosity went unnoticed so a towel animal would be my way of saying thank you back.

If you want to leave a memo, like someone else said alot of them don't speak english. . . .the best thing to do is find some sort of management type, either wandering around the resort or up at the front, and ask for a Guest Fanatic Card. This is the form you can have filled out for your mousekeeper (or any Cast member, anywhere) that gets them recognized, it shows up on their permenant record card, and enters them in a monthly drawing.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raevyn_Wolfe View Post
As a mousekeeper (not one anymore, thankfully - bless anyone that can do that hard, hard work for any length of time) I received tips, I was always told we were allowed to receive tips, management knew we got tips and sometimes would even flat out ask if a certain room (one with alot of special requests, etc) left a good one or not.

I would recommend someone leave a small one every day versus a big one at the end of their stay. Mousekeepers can rotate, have days off, etc and so you may not always be tipping who you think you are. Generally, ya mousekeepers have their sections, but it's not always guarenteed.

And honestly not a lot of people tip. So I would make sure to spend that little extra time in rooms that did. And always tried to make it a point to leave a towel animal in the rooms that tipped. Don't get me wrong, I would try and leave special touches in ALL my rooms but it's just not always possible every day. . . but if there was a tip I didn't want the guest to think their generosity went unnoticed so a towel animal would be my way of saying thank you back.

If you want to leave a memo, like someone else said alot of them don't speak english. . . .the best thing to do is find some sort of management type, either wandering around the resort or up at the front, and ask for a Guest Fanatic Card. This is the form you can have filled out for your mousekeeper (or any Cast member, anywhere) that gets them recognized, it shows up on their permenant record card, and enters them in a monthly drawing.
Thank you for all your housekeeping insights.

So that was the monthly prize the CR housekeeper was trying to tell me about. It's too bad the CR concierge desk had no idea about the Guest Fanatic Card (this isn't the old comment cards that used to be in the rooms, is it?) Now I know for the future what to ask for, but really, why does Disney make it so hard for guests to let them know how you feel about service (good and bad)? And, I still don't know why the housekeeper wouldn't take my tip when I tried to hand it to her in the hallway and why some others have said that their tips were not taken either.
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
tarak
DIS Veteran

When we were last there, we tipped $5 each day (figuring we had 5 people in the room). One day, it wasn't taken, so I was wondering if it wasn't clear that it was left for mousekeeping. My husband always preferred to just leave a big tip at the end of the vacation, but I pointed out what Raevyn_Wolfe posted, that you likely have a different person each day or at least a few different people throughout the week. I'd be upset if I thought the tip was going to anyone but the person who cleaned my room.
tarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
Raevyn_Wolfe
My neighbor is Mickey Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Thank you for all your housekeeping insights.

So that was the monthly prize the CR housekeeper was trying to tell me about. It's too bad the CR concierge desk had no idea about the Guest Fanatic Card (this isn't the old comment cards that used to be in the rooms, is it?) Now I know for the future what to ask for, but really, why does Disney make it so hard for guests to let them know how you feel about service (good and bad)? And, I still don't know why the housekeeper wouldn't take my tip when I tried to hand it to her in the hallway and why some others have said that their tips were not taken either.
I have no idea why she wouldn't have taken it. Or why others haven't had theirs taken. It is confusing. Maybe she didn't as some sort of culture type thing, no clue. All I can figure is miscommunication. Sometimes messages aren't passed very well between management and housekeeping cause honestly the majority of management speaks english and the majority of mousekeeping does not. Morning meetings can be kind of a pain cause things have to be translated both in spanish and in creole. I myself only speak english.

I would say that maybe it's a resort by resort thing but it was made very clear in my class I took at Disney University that tips are allowed and that class is taken by all mouskeepers for all the resorts.

As an added bonus, anything you leave in the room (on purpose, obviously not things that could have been accidently left) mousekeeping is allowed to keep. Balloons, unopened food, bathing products, stationary, are all coveted and appreciated. I know it sounds kinda sad, but it's true.

You better believe the concierge knows about them and should have offered it. Like I said, every CM on property can recieve them. The reason guests don't know specifically about them is cause it is supposed to be done instinctively by management whenever a CM gets a spoken or written compliment, but it easily gets forgotten or ignored. But if a guest asks for it to be done by name then it is much more likely to actually get done.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
nicoleakr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raevyn_Wolfe View Post

Thank you that is exactly the answer I needed to hear. I will keep tipping like I always have.

2013 Beach Club
2011Grand Flordian grand gathering
2009 Grand Flordian
2008 Contemporary
2006 Grand Flordian[/FONT]
nicoleakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
Salinger
Mouseketeer

Tipping is, of course, up to the guest, but I ALWAYS tip housekeeping where ever I stay.

I used to work in the hospitality industry for a luxury hotel chain. I was back of the house (finance office) but of course, knew staff from all over the hotel. Housekeeping is one of, if not the most physically demanding (and if assigned a lot of rooms, stressful) jobs imaginable.

The logic that I would give a 20% gratuity to my server who brings a plate from the kitchen to my table, but give nothing to the person who cleans my room, changes my beds and tidies up after me is incomprehensible, at least in my mind.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: