Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
bellajen
Earning My Ears

Convince me to stay at your fav moderate

Last trip we stayed at the Dolphin for a weekend and loved it, especially the location. However, we're planning to take advantage of the free dining promotion this trip so need to stay in an actual Disney resort. Which moderate is your favorite and why?

The last moderate I stayed at was back when Port Orleans French Quarter was Dixie Landings and it was 1992 so my memories are quite faint considering I was only 8 years old but remember thinking the mansions were so pretty.

We'll be going for a long weekend (3 nights) and are 2 married adults in their mid/late 20s.
bellajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

We love love love the Caribbean Beach Resort. Each village has their own white sandy beach complete with beach chairs and hammocks. There's also a quiet pool in each village. The resort grounds are gorgeous. I have a super detailed review and tons of pics. Just let me know if you want me to post them.

Lisa

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
anewvance
Who needs a birthday for birthday cake?
I'm a nutter butter when it comes to bargains!
whew, now that that insane embarassing moment is over....

Our favorite mod is definately Port Orleans French Quarter. Basically because it is much much smaller and quieter then the other ones. It usually has it's own bus but if it shares with POR then it goes to POFQ first which means first chance at seats. The food court is nice, love the beniets. It has the boat to Downtown Disney which is a nice boat ride. And the pool has a slide and nice theming. Definately our fav!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
DisneyBunny15
Mouseketeer

You mustt stay at Caribbean Beach!! It is by far the most peaceful of all the moderates. It is a bit spread out but as the PP said, each section has a sandy beach, a beautiful pathway, hammocks and bridges over the lagoon.

The food court is great!! (the food court at Coronado Springs, charges an extra tipping fee just for sitting in a certain area - which we were not cool with) Its just a great atmosphere!
DisneyBunny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Stitch2244314
DIS Veteran

CBR is our absolute favorite moderate! We like the tropical, bright atmosphere/theme. Plus all of the rooms were just completely renovated, as was the main pool. There are also six other quiet pools on property, one in each village. The resort is very large (as are POR and CSR), but it's actually nice because it makes the resort feel quieter. However, it is the only large moderate with an internal shuttle, so if somehow your room is very far away (furthest room is about a 7 minute walk to the food court), you can just hop on the bus if you don't feel like walking to breakfast or the main pool, etc. CBR is great!

Our next choice would be POFQ-- we really like the compactness of the resort, as well as the boat to DTD. POR would be next, and we would never stay at CSR again.

Good luck with your decision, and have a great trip!
May 1996: Off Site April 2002: ASMo May 2003 & 2004: Off Site June/July 2005: POFQ July 2006: POR August 2007: CBR July/August 2008: CSR & CBR May/June 2009: CBR July 2010: BWV August 2011: CBR July 2012: OKW & AKV-Jambo December 2012: POR-Royal Room July 2013: Yacht Club
Stitch2244314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Kumquatmelon
Desiring Disney

I'm also quite fond of Carribbian Resort, just make sure that you ask for a room near a pool, that kinda hurt us the first time we went, there are some great buildings and some not so great. We stayed at Jamacia and it was really far away from the main pool and then we stayed at Trinidad and Tabago I believe and it was a great location.

I really like French Quarter too because it's really small and all the rooms are near the pool, main building, and bus stops. Also, you get access to the Riverside pool and amenities so you have many options.

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension. A dimension of sound. A dimension of sight. A dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into...The Twilight Zone. Hollywood, 1939. Amid the glitz and the glitter of a bustling, young movie town at the height of its golden age, The Hollywood Tower Hotel was a star in its own right; a beacon for the show business elite. Now, something is about to happen that will change all that. The time is now on an evening very much like the one we have just witnessed. Tonight's story on The Twilight Zone is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. This, as you may recognize, is a maintenance service elevator still in operation, waiting for you. We invite you, if you dare, to step aboard because in tonight's episode, you are the star. And this elevator travels directly to - The Twilight Zone."
Kumquatmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
miraged
miraged

Re: favourite moderate

We love CBR. I cannot talk my two children into going anywhere else. We love staying at Jamaica, the walk to Old Port Royale is filled with music and animals which my daughter adores. Plus, we get a chance to talk on our walk, mom's little captive audiance, lol, bridge, island, undivided attention. CBR is like a vacation in the Caribbean while having a vacation at Disney - two for one! I highly recommend it, but I am sure you will have a lovely time wherever you decide to go.
have sun, and fun,
d
miraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
MEK
DIS Veteran

For a short trip with a couple I would definately stay at POFQ. If you are lucky enough to get a king size bed overlooking the water, even better. My DH and I spent a night at the resort before a DVC stay and we loved it there. So quaint, so quiet, so picturesque. Plus everything is so close. We even enjoyed a relaxing walk to POR which was lovely.

King Size Bed

Relaxing Hot Tub

Beautiful Scenery

Convinced?????

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We have only stayed at the CSR (seven times), and we would consider the POFQ (the other two's theme don't appeal to us at all). We love the fact that the CSR is currently being rehabbed with wonderful furnishings, sliding doors between the bathroom and bedroom and new queen beds in all of the rooms (with the exception of the 100 rooms getting new king beds). DH and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary this past September and have found it very quiet and serene. The CSR has a wonderful pool with a 123 foot slide, the largest hot tub of all of the moderates, a fitness center/spa, and a new nightclub, The Rix! We also love laying in one of the hammocks in the Cabanas section or the one by Casitas 5 (our favorite building).

We have always had outstanding service...friendly CM's who have gone above and beyond on numerous occasions, terrific mousekeeping, good food, etc.

Here are some pictures of our favorite Disney resort:

Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 AM   #10
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I have stayed at all four moderates and would rank them:
#1. POFQ
#2. PORS
#3 CSR
#4 CBR

POFQ is by far my favorite resort because it is the smallest WDW resort, no room is very far from anything. We love the boat to DTD, the CMs are just sooo friendly and helpful. We love the jazz music that is playing as you walk up to the main building every morning. Sometimes it shares buses with POFQ, but sometimes not. If it does share buses, it is the first stop so you always get a seat. It has the jazz player in the lounge. It's just overall my favorite WDW resort. It's so small and peacefull. I'll be there again May 9th-16th and can't wait.

Saying all of that, I have decided to give CSR another chance and have a trip there booked for Dec 12th-20th. I have to admit that it is a beautiful resort, has the health club/spa, has the best bus service of any of the WDW resorts we've stayed at, and we happen to like the Pepper Market and think it's the best food court on property. It's a great value if you are on the DDP, but expensive if you are not. They have the biggest hot tub on property. The resort is huge though. When we stayed there in '05 we had a few problems (unfriendly CMs, loud, drunk obnoxious conventioneers, and almost got ran over by one of those golf cart thingys). Like I said though I am giving it another chance. They are remodeling all the buildings and once finished in Oct '09 all the rooms will have two queen size beds. They will look really nice. Only some of the rooms are finished now though.

We have also stayed at PORS and while it is a big resort it is also very lovely and peaceful. It too has the boat to DTD and a jazz musician in the lounge. I also like their food court very much and consider it just below the Pepper Market.

CBR is the only moderate I would never stay at again. In fact, I'd go with a value if CBR was the only mod available. Housekeeping was terrible, food court was really bad, as was the bus service. The resort is HUGE and it takes forever for the buses to just get out of the CBR compound. They are the only resort to have an internal bus just to move people from the different villages to the food court. The resort is that big. To make it worse the walls seem really thin there. I could hear every word my neighbors said. Of course they were really loud every night.

Last edited by aubriee; 04-14-2009 at 09:55 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
darrengs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellajen View Post
The last moderate I stayed at was back when Port Orleans French Quarter was Dixie Landings and it was 1992 so my memories are quite faint considering I was only 8 years old but remember thinking the mansions were so pretty.
Just a quick note here Port Orleans Riverside was Dixie Landings, at that time Port Orleans French Quarter was just Port Orleans.

With that said my vote is POFQ.

Darren
darrengs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at CBR, POFQ, and CSR. And that's the order I would rank them in. DH and I absolutely love CBR! We love the quiet relaxing tropical atmosphere. The CM's are great, the grounds are beautiful, and we have always had quick and hot meals at the food court and excellent bus service. And the new pool is fantastic and looks like it belongs at a deluxe!

I have a ton of pictures if you would like to see any!

Good luck deciding and have a great trip!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
GeorgeC
Earning My Ears

I would recommend Coronado Springs. We recently returned from a great trip to the world and Coronado was a great place to stay, especially with the free dining.
GeorgeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #14
999ghostslover
DIS Veteran

We love POFQ and would be happy staying there time and again. Here are my top reasons.

1. Size, so small yet it feels just right, very quiet
2. Boat to Downtown Disney, makes any trips there feel special
3. Walking distance to POR. 2 great pools for the price of one.
4. Charming atmosphere, not over the top theming.
5. beignets

THe only downside is that they are double beds and I would maybe consider coranado for the queens.
999ghostslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

We've stayed at all and would recommend CSR or POFQ. CBR used to be our favorite moderate, but it has changed so much over the years - we miss the original CBR. And now with Nemo rooms - just do not get why Disney would add an Australian child theme to such a beautiful tropical resort. In all honesty, I want to love it again, but it lost what drew us. Still love the tropical, relaxing island feel.

PORS - for us, the theme just not to our liking. The place was like a maze; 2 stays was enough confusion. Also not fans of Boatwrights.

FQ - absolutely lovely and quaint with charming Squares, pretty river views and the boat to DTD. A nice plus is Elliot Dyson who plays the Sax and steel drums (and sings) at Scat cats a few nights a week.

CSR - for us, gorgeous theme - so many fountains - and a even beach or desert theme. It's lovely and romantic (as it FQ). And now queen beds and brand new refubished rooms. What is a real plus for us, is the CSR bus stops at the parks are never a hike.

With the exception of FQ, all the moderates are large and spread out, so it's really a very personal choice.

Go with whichever theme most appeals to you and enjoy the resort!

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: