Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 04:21 AM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Welcome Home, Now Relax ~ Day 15 – Pirate’s Cove Golf, Earl Of Sandwich, Home

Wednesday 8th April 2009

Despite our best efforts to prevent it the day had come when we had to go home. Neither of us were up until 8:15 but by 9:25 we were at Downtown Disney check-in where there were only 3 or 4 families in the economy queue and nobody in the Premium Economy/Upper Class queue. All of our cases were well under the weight allowance and we were all done and back at the studio by 9:50.

We collected all of our hand luggage and having left the studio for the last time at 10:00 we went up the I-4 to International Drive and stopped at Pirates Cove for our traditional last day round of mini-golf. Dad got round in 53 and I managed a hole-in-one on my way to a score of 47.

We played the Captain’s Course which is just as good as Disney’s courses if not better and next time we are over I would like to try Blackbeard’s Challenge, which is supposed to be more tricky.

After our round of golf we went back to Downtown Disney and into the Earl of Sandwich for lunch where Dad had the Italian and I had a Ham ‘N’ Swiss. The sandwiches are really nice here and even though there is a long line it moves fairly quickly and by the time we had reached the cash register our sandwiches were ready.

Once we had eaten we returned to the car and were off property for the last time at 12:35. Just before we reached the Osceola Parkway the low fuel light in the car came on so we stopped off for a quick $5 ‘splash and go’. The plan had been to spend the afternoon at Gatorland but when we got there the car park was completely full and even the overflow area we were directed to across the highway was full so we gave it up as a bad job and parked up nearby to decide what to do next. After looking at one of the freebie Orlando area guides we still had we spotted an ad for the Warbird Flights and Museum and as we were only 10 minutes away we decided to give that a go.

The museum was $6 to get in and if you want to do a flight in a T6 that will cost you $220 for 15 minutes so needless to say we didn’t opt to go for the flight! They have a few planes to walk around and have the only airworthy model of the Aero car - a car that turns into an aeroplane, or vice versa.

We left the museum shortly before 3:00 and by 3:30 we were back at the airport and the hire car had been returned having done 588 miles since we picked it up. We made our way into the terminal and since we have learnt that American airports have nothing much ‘airside’ we found a seat so that we could kill some time before going through security.

At 5:05 we decided it was time to make our way through and by 5:30 we were sitting at the gate. Boarding finally began at 7:00 and we took our usual seats and settled back with a glass of sparkling wine. Pushback was just a few minutes late at 7:37 and we left American soil about 10 minutes later.

Soon after takeoff the drinks run began and we both had a whisky and ginger and then for dinner, which was a choice of cajun chicken or beef bourginon, we both had the chicken.

The selection of films wasn’t that great - Frost/Nixon, Seven Pounds and Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants were the more memorable ones so we both watched our Archos’ and got a bit of sleep.

Breakfast was served around an hour and a half before we landed but as even the smell of the muffins are enough to make me feel sick I passed and just had an apple juice.

We landed at 8:20 and even though Dad had a bit of trouble being recognised by IRIS because he was looking at the wrong camera we were still walking away from the luggage belts by 9:00. We went through a deserted Customs hall and found our taxi driver almost immediately so we were soon on the road and were back home by 10:20.

So that is it for another year. Thoughts now turn to our holiday in Chicago and the Smoky Mountains in July this year. Our next planned Disney holiday is the Baltic cruise in June 2010 but it is likely that we will slip in a visit to Disneyland Paris earlier that year. That means that our next trip to Florida is not going to be until 2011, which is my 40th birthday year and also WDW’s 40th birthday year so I am hoping to book two trips to celebrate both of those birthdays.

Thanks to everyone for reading, and especially to those who have left comments. Even if I haven’t replied personally all comments have been read and are appreciated.

As well as all the shopping we brought back I also brought back 10 sets of Disney park maps (the ones you get at the entrances to the parks). If anybody would like one send me a private message with your name and address and I will post one out to you.

And finally, like I did last year, I have done a musical slideshow of some of the best photos from the trip. It lasts 7 minutes and if you would like to see it you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CoTMp-T9ps

Here's to the next trip.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

We went to Warbird Adventures a few years ago, Lee (my hubby) did the Aerobatics flight in the T6.....he said it was amazing, they did all types of moves, loops, cuban 8's, barrel rolls etc, he really got a taste for it because a few years after when we were in Sydney, Australia he did another one in a Strikemaster Jet where they did more aerobatics, a dog fight & he experienced a G Force upto 4G's!

Shame your trip report is finished already. It sounds like you had a fun packed 2 weeks, thanks for sharing.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Sounds like great fun Claire. Unfortuantely I'm a bit of a wimp and my stomach wouldn't handle that kind of thing.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Old 04-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Nubbedy
I was born without a 'Hidden-Mickey-spotting' gene
ºoº

Thanks so much for posting your trippie David, I have enjoyed sharing the two weeks with you and your Dad. Have also PMed you regarding the maps.

I now have a long list of things I must do in August based on your reports, top of which is, of course, Toy Story Mania!, follwed by Ellen's Energy Adventure, Carousel of Progress and looking for the animatronic lioness! Would love to try Sweet Tomatoes but I think the free Dining Plan and DS's insistence to pay OOP for Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex cafe, then I don't think we could possibly manage it this trip - definitely in the future though.

Look forward to reading your future trippies.

Sara My Disbuddy is kristieuk
Disney World - July 2006 (ASMo), Aug 2007 (ASMo), Apr 2008 (Pop), Aug 2009 (POFQ), Aug 2010 (POFQ), Oct 2011 (POFQ) Aug 2012 (POFQ) Aug 2013 (POFQ)
Disneyland Paris - Jan 2007 (NY), Oct 2008 (Ch), Feb 2010 (Ch), Feb 2011 (Ch), Aug 2011 (SL)
Feb 2012 (Ch) Dec 2012 (Ch) Feb 2013 (Ch) Feb 2014 (Ch)
Nubbedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Nubbedy
I was born without a 'Hidden-Mickey-spotting' gene
ºoº

Just back from YouTube! Was great to see all the pics together. Loved the choice of Vision as the last pic.

Sara My Disbuddy is kristieuk
Disney World - July 2006 (ASMo), Aug 2007 (ASMo), Apr 2008 (Pop), Aug 2009 (POFQ), Aug 2010 (POFQ), Oct 2011 (POFQ) Aug 2012 (POFQ) Aug 2013 (POFQ)
Disneyland Paris - Jan 2007 (NY), Oct 2008 (Ch), Feb 2010 (Ch), Feb 2011 (Ch), Aug 2011 (SL)
Feb 2012 (Ch) Dec 2012 (Ch) Feb 2013 (Ch) Feb 2014 (Ch)
Nubbedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbedy View Post
Thanks so much for posting your trippie David, I have enjoyed sharing the two weeks with you and your Dad. Have also PMed you regarding the maps.

Look forward to reading your future trippies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbedy View Post
Just back from YouTube! Was great to see all the pics together. Loved the choice of Vision as the last pic.
Thanks Sara, I've just replied to your message. Next trip report will be August, something different to Disney though.

I thought Vision was the only way to end the slideshow.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Lizzybear
You fool! You gave cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god!
I'm the main holiday initiator/planner which is how I like it!

Must remember to play some minigolf in Orlando this year, never got round to it before! The Warbird museum sounds interesting, my dad would love that
DLP Day trip 1992, School trip 1997, Day trip 2000, Magic Circus 2003, Cheyenne 2006, Sequoia Lodge 2007 and Santa Fe 2010. WDW Ramada Resort I-Drive 2002, Sheraton Studio City 2005, POFQ 2007 and CSR 2009. DLR Fairfield Inn 2008.
Lizzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not

You're right, you did pack a lot in! We managed to do a bit of last minute shopping and have a meal before time caught up with us and we had to mosey to the airport. Mind you though, the weather on the 6th didn't help - did you manage to avoid the torrential rain in the early afternoon? We had to pull into one of the Florida Mall carparks it was that bad!!
Easter 1992 - Holiday Inn I-Drive/ Hilton St. Pete’s Beach, June 1993 - Doubletree Universal/ Hilton Clearwater, Easter 1995 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive,Halloween 1995 - DLP offsite, Easter 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive, Easter 2000 - Doubletree Universal, Christmas 2000 - Courtyard by Marriot DTD/ Tradewinds Island Grande St Pete’s Beach/ Holiday Inn Universal Halloween 2001 - Cheyenne DLP, Easter 2002 - CBM DTD/ Clearwater Beach Hotel, July 2003 - Newport Bay DLP Jan 2004 - Cypress Pointe, Easter 2005 - Hawthorn Suites LBV/ Bahama Bay, July 2006 - Newport Bay DLP Christmas2006- Springhill Suites LBV, Thanksgiving 2007 - Buena Vista Palace/ Park Shore Naples/ Pop/ CSR, March/ April 2009 - Pop/ CSR/ Blue Heron Beach Resort Nov 2009 - SSR and free dining Oct 2010 - SSR and free DDP March 2011 - Solo trip to BLT Sept 2011 - DLRP Christmas/ New Year 2011 - BLT/AKV/WLV Nov 2012 - BLT/Dream 4 night Bahamas Cruise June 2013 -Magic Mediterranean 7 night cruise November 2013 - BLT February 2014 - DLP solo October 2014 - ASM, BLT & BC
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybear View Post
The Warbird museum sounds interesting, my dad would love that
It's quite small - only about 6 or 7 exhibits there so it's easy to fit in as a half day outing, or on the way back to the airport like we did.

Thanks for reading through to the end.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2312 View Post
You're right, you did pack a lot in! We managed to do a bit of last minute shopping and have a meal before time caught up with us and we had to mosey to the airport. Mind you though, the weather on the 6th didn't help - did you manage to avoid the torrential rain in the early afternoon? We had to pull into one of the Florida Mall carparks it was that bad!!
Glad you made it to the end.

That was the afternoon Dad did the washing. I remember we had some rain as Dad commented that the ground was wet when he came out but I don't remember it being particularly hard, especially compared to the rain on the other mornings.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
suzycute
DIS Veteran

I've had a great time reading your trip reports - they have really brightened up a dull Easter weekend. You have a great writing style and I could really imagine being there. It's very disappointing that you didn't stay for another week as we would all have another week of reports to look forward to!

I almost wrote a report of our trip last year but chickened out so you've inspired me to try and have a go after our trip in September. Many thanks for taking the time to write them and I'm already looking forward to reading your Baltic cruise report AND your 40th birthday one in 2011!!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
Glad you made it to the end.

That was the afternoon Dad did the washing. I remember we had some rain as Dad commented that the ground was wet when he came out but I don't remember it being particularly hard, especially compared to the rain on the other mornings.
Maybe it passed over your area. We got to Fla Mall before it really got going. With the wind and the rain it almost felt like it was going to flip the car
Easter 1992 - Holiday Inn I-Drive/ Hilton St. Pete’s Beach, June 1993 - Doubletree Universal/ Hilton Clearwater, Easter 1995 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive,Halloween 1995 - DLP offsite, Easter 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive, Easter 2000 - Doubletree Universal, Christmas 2000 - Courtyard by Marriot DTD/ Tradewinds Island Grande St Pete’s Beach/ Holiday Inn Universal Halloween 2001 - Cheyenne DLP, Easter 2002 - CBM DTD/ Clearwater Beach Hotel, July 2003 - Newport Bay DLP Jan 2004 - Cypress Pointe, Easter 2005 - Hawthorn Suites LBV/ Bahama Bay, July 2006 - Newport Bay DLP Christmas2006- Springhill Suites LBV, Thanksgiving 2007 - Buena Vista Palace/ Park Shore Naples/ Pop/ CSR, March/ April 2009 - Pop/ CSR/ Blue Heron Beach Resort Nov 2009 - SSR and free dining Oct 2010 - SSR and free DDP March 2011 - Solo trip to BLT Sept 2011 - DLRP Christmas/ New Year 2011 - BLT/AKV/WLV Nov 2012 - BLT/Dream 4 night Bahamas Cruise June 2013 -Magic Mediterranean 7 night cruise November 2013 - BLT February 2014 - DLP solo October 2014 - ASM, BLT & BC
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycute View Post
I've had a great time reading your trip reports - they have really brightened up a dull Easter weekend. You have a great writing style and I could really imagine being there. It's very disappointing that you didn't stay for another week as we would all have another week of reports to look forward to!

I almost wrote a report of our trip last year but chickened out so you've inspired me to try and have a go after our trip in September. Many thanks for taking the time to write them and I'm already looking forward to reading your Baltic cruise report AND your 40th birthday one in 2011!!
Well if everybody has a whip-round we could stay longer next time.

Trip reports are great fun to do and help to relive the memories when you read them back. Look forward to reading yours in September.

Thanks for reading.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

I have really enjoyed you TR. The photos were awesome, thanks for sharing

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
Gaynor
DIS Veteran

Aww I can't believe your trip report has come to an end, I've really enjoyed reading it.
Looking forward to reading to next one Chicago and the Smokey Montains sounds great.

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6mc5sfpevnykyj.png[/img]
Aug 2009 Disneyland, San Diego and Las Vegas ....Dec 2009 Terra Verde Resort & Spa
Aug 2008 - 3 Weeks, 3 Day Disney Wonder, Port Orleans French Quarter, Villa @ Sunset Lakes
Aug 2007 Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando - May 2007 Terra Verde Resort & Spa
Feb 2006 Thousand Oaks
Aug 2004 Ridgewood Lakes
Xmas/New Year 2002/2003 Santa Fe DLP
Gaynor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: