Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Welcome Home, Now Relax ~ Day 13 - Animal Kingdom, Take Two

Monday 6th April 2009

Although the park was opening at 8:00 this morning I wasnít too bothered about being there at that time so we didnít get up until 7:00 and didnít go out until 8:10 but we were soon parked up in the car park. For some reason they were parking cars on the grass but I went on down to the end of a row on the concrete and parked there, near to the disabled parking section.

We walked to the gates and first stop was Kilimanjaro Safaris, which was a walk-on and I managed to remember my camera this time.

Continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:36 AM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

They really need to do something about security in the reserve because every time we go there it seems there are poachers about and a baby elephant needs saving.

Once we had returned from our safari we went down the Pangani Forest Exploration trail.

Continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
wickesy

And then caught the train to Rafikiís Planet Watch.

This was the first time we had been to Rafikiís and we wonít be rushing back. It is OK if you have children who like to pet animals as there is a petting section there, or if you are interested in how they look after and feed the animals, but it is not for us.

Continued

Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 AM   #4
wickesy

When we returned from Rafikiís I went down the Maharajah Jungle Trek while Dad waited outside.

Continued

Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 AM   #5
wickesy

From there we made our way round to Camp Minnie-Mickey for the 11:30 Festival of The Lion King show. The one thing that irritates me about the shows at Disney is that they advise you to be there 45 minutes before the show starts and then don’t open the doors until about 10 minutes before the show starts.

After the show it was time for lunch so we walked round to Flame Tree BBQ where Dad had the turkey sandwich and I had the barbecue chicken salad and we had a coke each. We had to wait a bit longer than usual because the cast member behind the counter who was getting our food managed to spill coke all over it and had to do it again.

Once we had eaten we left the park and went back to the studio where Dad took some washing to the laundry because our washing machine at home had packed up a couple of days before we left so he wanted to take the opportunity to get some washing done before we got home. I spent some time in the studio and waited for him to phone me to go and collect him when the washing was finished.

The washing was done by 3:15 and we spent a couple of hours relaxing before going out again at 5:00 and driving round to Bahama Breeze on Vineland Avenue. We didn’t have a reservation but as we were so early we only had to wait a couple of minutes before they had a table ready for us. We started off with drinks - Mango Beach for Dad and Island Refresher for me and we both had the Jamaican Jerk Chicken with mashed cinnamon sweet potato and green beans. The food was good and the service and surroundings were great so although this was a first visit we will definitely be returning on future trips.

We were done by just after 6:00 and made our way round to EPCOT where I wanted to watch Illuminations again. We parked up near the disabled parking and walked into the park where the tip board was showing a 100 minute wait for Soarin’ so I decided to give that a miss and we had a look around Mousegear where I saw a sweatshirt that I decided to buy later and we also decided to take up the option of buying a rolling duffle bag for $20 when you spend $50 or more.

We walked round to United Kingdom and found that the peninsula between UK and France was roped off so we decided to watch Illuminations from our usual spot on the bridge. As it was still only 7:00 we had a sit-down in France first and watched the world go by but by 7:20 I was starting to feel a bit chilly so I went back to the car to get my sweatshirt, which I had kept in the car for just this sort of situation. As we were parked so close I was out to the car and back on the bridge between UK and France by 7:58 and we stayed there to stake out our spot for the fireworks.

At about 8:50 the Illuminations cruises started mooring up underneath us and we noticed that all the occupants of the boats were wrapped in blankets, which thankfully we hadn’t needed last week. The show was as good as ever and once it had finished we made our way back round to Mousegear where I bought the sweatshirt, a photo album and the bag and we then went back to the car, arriving back at the studio at 10:00.

We were in bed by 11:00 ready for our last full day tomorrow, which was going to start with one last go on Toy Story Mania.

Day 14

Last edited by wickesy; 04-13-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:38 AM   #6
Nubbedy
I was born without a 'Hidden-Mickey-spotting' gene
ļoļ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy;
They really need to do something about security in the reserve because every time we go there it seems there are poachers about and a baby elephant needs saving.
LOL - now this time I realise that's a joke! No photos of the animatronic lioness?

Glad it stayed dry for you today, and you did more shopping - I am seriously impressed by your retail skills!

Sara My Disbuddy is kristieuk
Disney World - July 2006 (ASMo), Aug 2007 (ASMo), Apr 2008 (Pop), Aug 2009 (POFQ), Aug 2010 (POFQ), Oct 2011 (POFQ) Aug 2012 (POFQ) Aug 2013 (POFQ)
Disneyland Paris - Jan 2007 (NY), Oct 2008 (Ch), Feb 2010 (Ch), Feb 2011 (Ch), Aug 2011 (SL)
Feb 2012 (Ch) Dec 2012 (Ch) Feb 2013 (Ch) Feb 2014 (Ch)

Last edited by Nubbedy; 04-13-2009 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Mis-quoted!
Nubbedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #7
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

another fab day.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #8
suzycute
DIS Veteran

I'm very impressed by your photos on Kilimanjaro Safari - I can never get a photo that doesn't look extremely shaky! I keep hearing good things about Bahama Breeze on these boards - sounds like you have found another good eatery to add to your list - we will have to pay a visit too.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:08 AM   #9
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbedy View Post
LOL - now this time I realise that's a joke! No photos of the animatronic lioness?
No she wasn't out again. The male lion was out and I think he's supposed to be in the photo after the one of the rhino's bum but I can't see him in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycute View Post
I'm very impressed by your photos on Kilimanjaro Safari - I can never get a photo that doesn't look extremely shaky!
Thank you. I think it helped that the driver's seem to be going slower now giving a better chance to take steady pictures.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #10
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not

Great reports again Ijust have to post to say this was our departure day
Also, the piccies of the safari are v. good - I find that a sports mode is better for taking the pics and then you get less of the "spot the animal" or the "butt end pics" (come on you know we all get them )
Easter 1992 - Holiday Inn I-Drive/ Hilton St. Peteís Beach, June 1993 - Doubletree Universal/ Hilton Clearwater, Easter 1995 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive,Halloween 1995 - DLP offsite, Easter 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive, Easter 2000 - Doubletree Universal, Christmas 2000 - Courtyard by Marriot DTD/ Tradewinds Island Grande St Peteís Beach/ Holiday Inn Universal Halloween 2001 - Cheyenne DLP, Easter 2002 - CBM DTD/ Clearwater Beach Hotel, July 2003 - Newport Bay DLP Jan 2004 - Cypress Pointe, Easter 2005 - Hawthorn Suites LBV/ Bahama Bay, July 2006 - Newport Bay DLP Christmas2006- Springhill Suites LBV, Thanksgiving 2007 - Buena Vista Palace/ Park Shore Naples/ Pop/ CSR, March/ April 2009 - Pop/ CSR/ Blue Heron Beach Resort Nov 2009 - SSR and free dining Oct 2010 - SSR and free DDP March 2011 - Solo trip to BLT Sept 2011 - DLRP Christmas/ New Year 2011 - BLT/AKV/WLV Nov 2012 - BLT/Dream 4 night Bahamas Cruise June 2013 -Magic Mediterranean 7 night cruise November 2013 - BLT February 2014 - DLP solo October 2014 - ASM, BLT & BC
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #11
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2312 View Post
Great reports again Ijust have to post to say this was our departure day
Also, the piccies of the safari are v. good - I find that a sports mode is better for taking the pics and then you get less of the "spot the animal" or the "butt end pics" (come on you know we all get them )
Departure days aren't good.

I did get a 'butt end' shot but it was deliberate. I'll have to try sports mode next time.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Lizzybear
You fool! You gave cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god!
I'm the main holiday initiator/planner which is how I like it!

Looove that sweet potato mash in Bahama Breeze I think the Lion King shows are great (west end, WDW and DLP.. I've loved all of the ones i've seen)
DLP Day trip 1992, School trip 1997, Day trip 2000, Magic Circus 2003, Cheyenne 2006, Sequoia Lodge 2007 and Santa Fe 2010. WDW Ramada Resort I-Drive 2002, Sheraton Studio City 2005, POFQ 2007 and CSR 2009. DLR Fairfield Inn 2008.
Lizzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #13
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Love the safari photos

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

I hope you managed to save Little Red

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
wickesy

We did, again! Honestly that kid is always in trouble.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: