Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #31
dollarmite
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czardas View Post
Who do you all use for travel insurance? I use www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au as I have always found them to be the best price.
Out of curiosity I just did an online quote with the above company. It is literally half the price of other policies I have received prices on. It seems too good to be true. Just wondering if there's some catch or something I missed?
dollarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #32
aussiedaisy
The second star to the right, shines in the night for you to tell you that the dreams you plan, really can come true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarmite View Post
I love to plan and book trips as well - I think it's just as much fun as the trip.

Before the internet age I used a local independent TA and never had any problems. Then I moved away and used some 'chain' agents. Never again! Each trip had some sort of TA error - nothing too dramatic but annoying just the same. Have never had a problem since doing it myself online. On our last trip to Fiji we were given a free room upgrade on check in simply because I'd booked online directly with them myself.

Was curious as to which Disney TA you used for the WDW portion? I'm considering Dreams Unlimited and Small World Vacations at the moment.
I totally agree with you dollarmite, planning the trip and the anticipation is really one of the best parts!! We love listening to all the podcasts and going on the boards and discussing our plans. I had a mega happy dance in Jay Jays shop the other day when I found Mickey, Minnie and Tink tshirts and hoodies...me and my sister were going mad over them!
aussiedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #33
aussiedaisy
The second star to the right, shines in the night for you to tell you that the dreams you plan, really can come true!

Dollarmite I also thought about going with that company but did a search on product reviews of travel insurance and it seemed to not have very good reviews....I have never used it myself and the company I have used for the last 4 years also had pretty bad reviews so who knows!!! Its hard to know who to go with but I think as long as you read all the small print and understand it and are happy with what they will and won't cover you will be okay hopefully.
aussiedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #34
Flea
Mouseketeer

We haven't booked airfares yet...we are waiting. Basically just so we know things are safe with DH's job etc (would hate to pay the airfares then find out he's out of work).

It seems there are great fares out of Oz - lucky you guys - I'm slightly jealous. I have a friend who works for V Australia so that is an option for us to fly via Brisbane (though with 2 kidlets I'd prefer to go direct with AirNZ or Qantas).

It seems in NZ they are only releasing special fares for travel in the next 3 months which is not normal - it used to be that the further out you booked the better deal you got. The recession really has wrecked havoc on the airlines.

DL Oct 09 Hoping to go back in 2013
Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #35
dvschem
Mouseketeer

Great idea AussieDaisy

We just got back from our Disney Pilgrimage - first week at Disneyland / DCA and second week on the Disney Magic. Had a ball !!!! My wife and I are both 34, I'm an Army Officer and my wife's a Childcare Director. We have two girls 6 and 3.

We'd be more than happy to answer any fellow Aussie traveller's questions, email photos etc.

The biggest frustration I had planning our trip was that Australain TAs just didn't have any experience with Dinsy Cruises or too much inside info on DLR / DCA. I'd love to be part of a group that can share Aussie-specific info because I'm already planning our return trip for early next year and would like to do something different.
dvschem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #36
Sharkmeister
Mouseketeer

Dollarmite, we used Dreams Unlimited in January and are using them again for our Sep/Oct trip. It is so much easier using these guys, than going through somewhere local. I love the fact they can do all the ADR's, get tickets to specieal evetns and I'm not up half the night on the phone to Disney.

The other reason we chose to go with them is they can access discounts and other promotions, whereas the travel agents I spoke to here could not. None of them had heard of "free-dining", special discount codes or AP discounts.
Sharkmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #37
kylieh
DIS Veteran

I found very limited info in Australia about trips, especially things like character dining, early entries/magic mornings, and the like. Most info given was what I could of read in a travel brochure.

For DL, I ended up doing it all myself with info that I found on here.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #38
marvel
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying this thread.

Dollarmite - we used Small World for our WDW bookings and were very happy. we changed our ADR's heaps and heaps of times and they were always very helpful, even called us when we arrived to check if everything was ok. I think our agent was Sue Chambers.

I can't remember who we used for travel insurance last time but I read a really bad review of 1cover which is run by mundial I think.

Maybe we should start some facebook group or something similar? Not that I am on it yet, but maybe an easier way for us to communicate more regularly.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #39
pumba1
Earning My Ears

Hey,

Fellow melbournian here, been to WDW and DL in both 2000 and 2005 and stayed on and off resort. Day 1 of the 50th was amazing!

I am addicted to Hong Kong DL though, just booked my 7th trip in 4 years for xmas. While not as big it is much more relaxing and the character interaction and cms is so much more better than usa.

Done Tokyo as well and have that and Paris marked for 2010.

Ps a facebook would be great!
pumba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #40
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

A question for anyone who's booked their flights through V Australia.

We booked our flights a little while back, and naturally they're now cheaper... Does anyone know whether V Australia will honour the cheaper price if I question it?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #41
kylieh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
We booked our flights a little while back, and naturally they're now cheaper... Does anyone know whether V Australia will honour the cheaper price if I question it?
Probably depends on the t&c of your ticket. I think it's worth a shot. And even if the worst is you lose some money like a cancellation fee, if you still come out ahead, why not.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #42
marvel
DIS Veteran

unless you booked a fully flexible flight with V I doubt they will reduce the fare. Most likely the cheap one you booked is non-transferrable etc etc without serious fees attached.

Well, they say that the cheap airfares are going to be around for the next 12 - 24 months, so if you can keep your job, travel to the US should remain good value, especially since the dollar got back up to the 70c mark.

Do any of you use the ANZ travel card in your travels??
Old 04-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #43
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel View Post
unless you booked a fully flexible flight with V I doubt they will reduce the fare. Most likely the cheap one you booked is non-transferrable etc etc without serious fees attached.

Do any of you use the ANZ travel card in your travels??
Oh yeah, good point...

I use the cashpassport card, is it similar?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #44
marvel
DIS Veteran

Not sure, you load up the ANZ card with US dollars and you can use it as a credit card or to get cash.

Who is the cashpassport with??
Old 04-15-2009, 06:58 AM   #45
PoohBear1988
Mouseketeer

Great thread! I love all the aussies/NZers coming helping each other plan!

I'm Danielle, I'm 21 and currently in my last year of studing to be a primary teacher.

Ive been to Disneyland 4 times. First time was in Nov 1998 I went with my family and grandparents, 2nd trip was Dec 2000 with my family and 3rd trip was April 2002 again with my family. My last trip was in January with my boyfriend - I planned the trip to have my 21st birthday at Disneyland, and we also got engaged

When i went with my family we only spent around 4-5 days at Disneyland each trip but on my recent trip we stayed at the Carousel for 15 nights and spend 11 days in the parks, we had a 14 day pass so made good use of it!!

I can't wait to go back!! My DF now loves disney as well! We were going to go back in Dec as I love DL at christmas, but decided we better wait and save for the wedding first but Chris agreed we could go to Disney for our honeymoon! (as long as we stopover at Hawaii on the way back to have a 'relaxing' holiday!)

My mum just got a job with V Australia as a cabin crew so i can now get cheap flights through staff travel so i hope to be going more regularly in the future. I got my mum an annual pass for her birthday as she will be staying at Long Beach when flying so will be able to go to Disneyland on her days off - Im so jealous!!!

Trips to Disneyland:
1998, 2000, 2002, 2009 x2 and 2012

2009 with DBF - Engaged at Disneyland
PoohBear1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: