Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #1636
mkymouse4ever
DIS Veteran

Talking Omg

Yikees, all I can say is it is really bad here. Yes, everything on tv has happened. Yesterday it started by 3pm. I left work it was coming down badly. Since I was on call only 4 hrs I didn't go in early, but they had cots up. At 1am I got up showered, dressed, etc... and went out the garage. Bug, had shoveled once and I probably could of powered through our drift's then, but the street was untouched with snow higher than my knees and this is where the "drifts" where not present. I didn't even think I could get bug's suv down our street. So far it is not plowed at all here. Only main arteries done. I called work, first told I have to be there, so only way that was happening was to walk. My manager told me no way walk here. So that was it, I didn't go in. I am on call again tonight but 8 hrs from 11pm > 7am. Hoping to be plowed by then. It is still snowing here and blowing badly. They are saying alot of this is now lake effect. And the second band of the storm. I think we are up to 20 to 18 inches at this point and really blowing. right now its 18 degrees but dropping, to -4.

Lake shore drive was closed by 8pm last nite. They are saying they had high winds off lake michigan and it was over lake shore drive. Freezing the rode and cars right there. Somebody went down there to see it, and fell in too. Guess they found him this morning. So that was the flooding / area. They had fireman on snowmobiles on lake shore drive, rescuing people. Everything is closed. Except the hospital. I called they are ok this am. Several of day shift got in, and live on main roads so they where plowed.

Watching vader try to get out to the backyard, was a hoot. He is trying to jump drifts and is totally confused. He got busy and ran back asap. Not interested in being out there either. I think it was the first time, he didn't even think about doing the fence line, he walks.

Glad everyone is safe and warm. Candi, it looks like this is all passing you by too. Just cutting across all of us. Nothing on tv here, except for the storm.

EE22, hope you didn't have to go in and DD.

TP2 & Tomar, hoping this misses you guys.

eskwgin, welcome, If your new to planning. I would recommend if you bought the "unofficial guide" to join there website. www.touringplans.com They give you a great deal of info about how to pick which park / which day. That is my first thing. You need to pick where to be ahead and plan dining around that. For dining: check out www.allearsnet.com for menu's and ideas. Good luck. I will be down in august too. Right now planning CR tower.

Happy planning everyone, and be safe. mky

GF [x4], POLY [x22], CR [x26], YC [x3], BC [x6], BCV, AKV / KIDANI, AKL, BWV, SSR, WL, CBR, DXL, PO-RS [x7], Dolphin, Swan, DCL's Wonder [x2], PFB [x2], HRH, & Royal Plaza
Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #1637
tripplanner2
DIS Veteran

MKY: You sure got hit hard. We had ice. My kids had a 2 hour delay but DH started with the delay and then they called back to cancel all together. Not sure why, it is really just a lot of puddles and mess now. Maybe down power lines or something.

Hoping that things will start to change. Glad to see some melting here. We are just so sick of the mess at this point.

EE22: Sounds like everyone is having things happen that have never before. So crazy this year with the weather. First time I am actually getting concerned about the whole climate change. Last summer was so hot and now this winter is so cold. I like the moderates much better. Maybe 35 -40 in winter and 80 - 85 in the summer.
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #1638
TOMAR@SSR
DIS Veteran

Good Morning Guys

MKY- Sooooo glad you posted !!, was watching the news last night and saw that they actually closed down the.. "Lake Shore Drive"...was thinking about you, and hoping you were safe !!
We are ok here in Jersey, some places had power outages from icing, but here in our neck of the woods , we experienced mostly rain....THANK GOD !!
Schools are open here, as Ive seen the buses pass already, and if anything, we are having a litlle melting of the mountains of snow we have accumulated over the last 7 storms....
E22- Seems like you guys had a rough night as well.....if you are home today, Enjoy the rest !!! (Huge Angel Smiley)
EVERYONE THINK.............SPRING !!!....Can`t wait .....
All I can say is...............So Much for "Global Warming"....ICK !

Stay warm and safe everyone !!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #1639
EEyorelover22
I want to live in the Castle

We are doing okay...south of here is worse...17+ I guess.
This is sort of typical for winter here I suppose and I'm glad the heavy bands went south of here. 12 inches is what we had here.

The University of Iowa called off classes for part of the morning...not sure how long now...they had more snow than we did. I guess that hasn't happened in many years.

DS doesn't even have class.

I hope a storm like this doesn't hit Chi Town again...having DD so close to the lake next year doesn't seem like a good thing!!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #1640
EEyorelover22

It would seem the University of Iowa called off classes all together.

AND!!! The HAY AUCTION IS OFF!! only in Iowa..............
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #1641
mkymouse4ever
DIS Veteran

Lake Michigan, we usually don't get the lake effect's because they usually hit indiana. They tend to go east. This time they went all over cause of the wind. Lake shore drive was getting large waves off the lake and they said the lake water was getting sucked up and it was pelting people on lake shore drive. ??? So they where saying some of that was just lake water.
Lake michigan, if you haven't seen it is extrememly large. A friend from california told me "I miss looking out over the ocean and just seeing water" I told her to drive up there, you don't see michigan on the other side. It is also toooooooo colddddddddddddddd. Even in august. I refuse to swim there it is freezing even then. Mom said, in the 40's there was an actual TIDAL WAVE on it, that hit chicago. And she was working there at the time.

Still no plow down my street yet. Or neighborhood for that matter. It is still blowing, so they are saying not to bother to shovel for a few more hours. We are under a state of emergency yet. With national guard etc. And telling people to stay off I80 etc.. .

Bug, linked to our computers at work so she is working from home today. She planned ahead.

So glad everyone is doing ok. Stay warm, lets pray this goes north and misses our east coast friends.

I think I need to watch a wdw dvd about now.

Hang in there, mky

GF [x4], POLY [x22], CR [x26], YC [x3], BC [x6], BCV, AKV / KIDANI, AKL, BWV, SSR, WL, CBR, DXL, PO-RS [x7], Dolphin, Swan, DCL's Wonder [x2], PFB [x2], HRH, & Royal Plaza
Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #1642
EEyorelover22

On how big Lake Michigan is.
Where DH and I went to school...Lake Superior is the same. I don't miss that snow...250+ on average in a season. No thanks!

The ground hog didn't see his shadow!!!

mky and Candi...good day to plan!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #1643
candizfan
DIS Veteran

It seems we are all on at the same time today!

Nothing else to do but plan. All the phone lines are busy for the places I have tried. Everyone is thinking the same thing I guess.

The snow is still coming down hard and they are saying it won't slow down till around 3pm.

My sister is going to Disney Feb 13 - 20 - I am Soooo tempted to go with her but really shouldn't since I am not bringing home a pay cheque these days.

The trouble with global warming is the water is warmer than is should be this time of year and the moisture can be sucked up by the storm easier - thus the large volume of snow.

I swear this is like it was when we were little and there were snow days a few times a year.
offsite'95,2000,01,03,POR July 03,SSR July 05, Disney Magic Mar 07, OKW Mar 08, AKV July 08, SSR Jan 09, Disney Magic Mar 09, AKV Mar 2010, SSR Feb 11, Disney Magic Mar 11, AKV May 12, Universal Mar 13, Disney Fantasy Mar 14
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #1644
EEyorelover22

I agree Candi...I can remember some monster storms when I was in grade school and when we first moved here we had some wicked storms. I remember my car being stuck in the street in front of the house.

No plow yet. DH is out battling the drifts with the snow blower.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #1645
candizfan
DIS Veteran

DH did that this morning before work. Now my neighbour is taking a second pass at it.

We have a great arrangement with them. We bought the blower and he uses it to do his house and ours!
offsite'95,2000,01,03,POR July 03,SSR July 05, Disney Magic Mar 07, OKW Mar 08, AKV July 08, SSR Jan 09, Disney Magic Mar 09, AKV Mar 2010, SSR Feb 11, Disney Magic Mar 11, AKV May 12, Universal Mar 13, Disney Fantasy Mar 14
Old 02-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #1646
mkymouse4ever
DIS Veteran

Wink

Candi, I do like that arrangement. Has it stopped there yet?

EE22, I remember bad snow storms and winds too being worse. But then our neighborhood, was in the middle of cornfields when we moved here. Now, it is built up all around.

We just finished plowing / shoveling the drive way and walks again. our front walk is a foot and a half. We only did 1 pass so anyone will have to walk single file. Bug, drove her suv up and down the street in front of drive way trying to break it up, so I can get out. We are still not plowed on my street. Our house has a street enter right in front of us too. Kinda like a T. So we get alot of snow blown up and then the plow brings it here from the other street. Making this a bad location for snow. Anyway, took Vader down the street and the main street > 2 streets away is clear. So I plan to take dad's car [ no way will my bug make it > too low to ground] and just try to stay in the grooves made already. But, if the plow comes we are gonna have to dig through that first. I hope it comes sooner than later. Wanted to try to nap for a while. I have to be there by 11pm. So keep your fingers crossed.

Well the up side is 36 days till wdw!

mky

Old 02-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #1647
candizfan
DIS Veteran

The snow has stopped here now. Just cold and windy.

MKY - be careful. Make sure you have an emergency kit in the car just in case.

I have not gone anywhere and won't be until tomorrow at least.

Stay safe and warm everyone.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #1648
EEyorelover22

Be safe mky! the wind chills are going to be nasty too.

We are the first house on the block so when the plow comes around the corner all of the snow dumps in our driveway. We do have a slow blower, but DH went out and was out for a long while and as soon as he came in...the plow went by. He's been back at it for another hour now. We had 4 feet of snow filling the entire bottom half of the driveway and the mailbox is buried in snow and they won't deliver the mail if they cannot get to it.

Melbourne FL is looking really nice about now!!

At least the rodent says an early spring!

Stay Warm everyone and think warm thoughts of Disney planning!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #1649
EEyorelover22

I just saw pics on the news of Lakeshore Drive
unreal

Be safe mky and Bug!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #1650
Minnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEyorelover22 View Post
Some spots south of here have 17 inches of snow
It is very, very cold too and going to get worse.
22" of snow here high winds tonight with a lows to 20 or 30 below couldn't believe my eyes this morning

But we are warm and safe in our home

Stay safe everyone
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: