Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
fairy
Earning My Ears

Can FL Grandparents buy ticket for grandchild?

I hope I can explain this well. Here is our situation. We live in VT and we will be meeting my family at Pop Century, they live in Florida. Can they buy my daughter a discounted Florida resident ticket? Also, her birthday is on April 20th and they will be leaving the following day, so they would not be able to accompany her to the park for the remaining 2 days. Does anyone know these rules?

Hope that made sense. Any ideas??
fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy View Post
Also, her birthday is on April 20th and they will be leaving the following day, so they would not be able to accompany her to the park for the remaining 2 days.
I don't understand this part of the question,
did you leave something out?

Are you going to get her one of the "Birthday Gifts" from Disney?

And, to the DISboards, fairy!

(Who'd have thought that fairy would still be available as a user name??? !!!)
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
fairy
Earning My Ears

If my parents or sister can buy her a 3 day park hopper then we would get the birthday gift card instead of free admission. If they are not allowed due to rules then we will take the free admission on her birthday. I must need some more morning coffee. Hope that was more clear.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
DisneyWisher
DIS Veteran

Yes, they can buy her a FL rate ticket since they don't ask for ID for kids under 18 but they will need to be there to do this to present their IDs. A 3 day is $129 plus 6.5% tax and a 4 day is $160 plus tax. If you want her to park hop it will be $25 more dollars plus tax.
DisneyWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
fairy
Earning My Ears

Thanks Disneywisher! So then would that mean she would need to be with her grandparents or aunt every time she enters the park or just for the first day entering the park on the 3 day pass?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
fairy
Earning My Ears

Robo

Thanks for noticing how new I am to the boards and for a wonderful welcome!!

I agree...I was shocked when it allowed me to choose "fairy" as my username.

I never knew what an intricate process went on in order to enjoy a disney vacation. I have learned quite a lot on these boards. I have mostly been studying the ins and outs of Disney Dining although we aren't on the plan this time.

Once again...thanks for the welcome!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
DisneyWisher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Disneywisher! So then would that mean she would need to be with her grandparents or aunt every time she enters the park or just for the first day entering the park on the 3 day pass?
No only to buy the ticket. Actually if they are buying it at Disney store or by mail they need to be there when they turn it into an actual ticket. They need to present their ID at a Disney ticket booth or the a park's Guest Services. After they get her the ticket with her name on it they don't need to be there with her again.

For the Birthday deal. Pre-register her online. I hear that saves a lot of time. Her grandparents got her a ticket for her birthday its shouldn't affect her "free" birthday gift at Disney. I call it a gift because its either for a free day or the merchanise card (I think this is a better value). They will not need to be there on her birthday to be able to get her "gift".
DisneyWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWisher View Post
Yes, they can buy her a FL rate ticket since they don't ask for ID for kids under 18 but they will need to be there to do this to present their IDs. A 3 day is $129 plus 6.5% tax and a 4 day is $160 plus tax. If you want her to park hop it will be $25 more dollars plus tax.
Really?

I thought and I was told (by I forget whom) that the owner/user of a Florida resident ticket has to be a Florida resident. This included out of state children accompanying Florida resident grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc.

We'll have to wait for Cheshire Figment to post a reply.

If your birthday is not your first theme park day and your vacation is more than three days long then the birthday gift card is a better deal.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

Last edited by seashoreCM; 04-12-2009 at 12:50 PM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
fairy
Earning My Ears

Thanks DisneyWisher! I am glad you all recommended getting gift card. I suppose I will do that. Her grandparents or aunt can accompany her on the first day if we get a 3 day pass. So that means we should be good for Tuesday and Wednesday without Granparents and Auntie there.

I have now gotten her registered for her birthday, so I am all set there.

MickeyNicki - I am so new here...what is an AP? Duh.

seashoreCM - I have heard both. I had heard that a Florida resident could bring one child and that they couldn't purchase for anyone. I just don't want to break any rules. I would be really embarrassed if on Tuesday or Wednesday they asked for a Florida ID since my husband or I wouldn't have one and gram and gramps and auntie would be back in sunny Palm Harbor.

Last edited by fairy; 04-12-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

AP = Annual pass
PAP = Premium annual pass (has water park fun)
SP = Seasonal pass (Florida residents only)
Old 04-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
disneymom2one
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

I always thought Florida resident tickets were meant for Florida residents. I'm curious about WDW's official stance on this. I am a Florida resident but would never think about buying tickets for my nieces. For my own child? Definitely.

I can see where WDW would allow it though since there's no id requirement for kids.

Maybe Cheshire Figment will respond. I'm curious. I still don't think I would do it - but I'm curious - especially as our older niece turns 3 in a few weeks and we plan to take her on an upcoming trip.

---living in paradise and vacationing with the Mouse

--- DVC members - OKW

disneymom2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
fairy
Earning My Ears

Anyone else have any experience on this matter that they can share? I'm still unsure whether it's allowed. Although MickeyNicki's experience is encouraging.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
MOREMICKEYFORME
2 Pirates + 2 Princesses= 1 Family!

Good Morning Fairy-
I have no idea about the FL resident's stuff, Just wanted to say HELLO to a fellow Vermonter!!! Not many of us here!!!
MOREMICKEYFORME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
BrettS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Anyone else have any experience on this matter that they can share? I'm still unsure whether it's allowed. Although MickeyNicki's experience is encouraging.
This really comes down to a moral question. According to the Disney rules, FL resident tickets are only for FL residents. However, because kids under 16 are unlikely to have any sort of ID that would show their address Disney doesn't check to make sure that kids using FL resident tickets really are FL residents.

So the answer is yes, you would be able to do what you suggest, but no, it is against the rules.
BrettS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: