Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 03:44 AM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Welcome Home, Now Relax ~ Day 9 - Segway tour, Illuminations cruise

Thursday 2nd April 2009

Another early start today as we were up at 7:00 and out of the door 45 minutes later. We were soon parked up in Amaze 32 and went round to guest relations to check in for our 8:30 tour.

There were only 6 people on our tour, led by Brandon and instructed by Lamont, who has been with Disney for 24 years and has been part of the Segway tour program from the beginning. We watched a very short film about the Segway and then it was time to board our steeds. This was actually a lot easier than both Dad and I had thought it would be and as long as you have only a light grip on the handlebars you will get on no problem. We had a training session which consisted of turning on the spot, going forwards, turning 180 degrees and going back, slaloming through cones, going up and downhill and avoiding low hanging branches (just bend your knees) and then we were out into the park.

By now Future World was open so we had to negotiate a few park guests and their admiring glances as we made our way round to World Showcase, passing through Mexico and Norway before stopping off in China for a few facts about the pavilion. We then carried on round to Germany for another brief stop and then to Italy, slaloming through the columns there before it was time for a photo stop.

We then went round to Morocco where we had another short stop before making our way round to America for another stop then a final stop in France before passing through the rest of World Showcase and back to Segway Central where we reluctantly handed back our Segways and were given a special pin each.

The tour costs $95 but it is well worth every cent as it was so much fun and we will more than likely do the Fort Wilderness version next time we are here. After just a short time the Segways become as easy to control as it looks when you see other people on them and it is as natural as riding a bike or driving in that you don’t really think about what you are doing, you just do it. If you have ever thought you would like to have a go on a Segway then go for it, you will love it.

continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

The tour finished at 10:30 and by the time we had made our way back to Norway it still wasn’t yet open so we sat down at the tables by the café until 11:00 came around. We joined the queue for Maelstrom which didn’t actually open until 11:10 and we were unlucky at the end in that we arrived back at the dock just as they closed the doors to the theatre so we had to wait for the film to finish before we could enter, run through and get out the other side. Why they don’t have an exit that bypasses the theatre I don’t know.

From Norway we back-tracked to Cantina de San Angel where Dad had the Plato combinacion and I had the tacos el carbon which we ate at a table by the lagoon. Once we had eaten we went into the pavilion for the Grand Fiesta Tour, which appeared to break down just as we got to the bottom of the loading ramp but after a couple of minutes of frantic action from the cast members they managed to get it running again.

From Mexico we walked round to China and had a look at the terracotta warriors and then walked swiftly round the rest of the world before arriving at Canada 5 minutes before an Off Kilter show was due to start. For some reason the bagpipe player wasn’t there today and I don’t think the show is as good without them, although we were treated to some impromptu Celtic dancing by a Mom and her daughter who were in the audience.

After the show we wandered round to Mousegear and had a quick look around before going into Inside Track at the exit to Test Track to have a look at the cars. From there we went round to Art of Disney where Dad bought a Disney Traditions piece - the Seven Dwarves on a log.

We then went onto Spaceship Earth, which was a walk-on and just before leaving the park found our Leave A Legacy tile.

We left the park at 2:40 to go back to the studio and get ready for our night out.

continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
wickesy

We spent a couple of hours chilling before each having a shower, shave and sh…well you get the idea with that. We were out again just after 7:00 and at 7:15 parked up at the Yacht Club where we were due to meet Custard Tart (Karen) and Tink,too at 8:00.

We spent the extra time doing a lap of the Dolphin, Boardwalk, Beach Club area before arriving back at the Yacht Club marina.

Just after 8:00 we wandered over to where people seemed to be gathering and I immediately spotted Karen and went over to introduce ourselves. After just a few minutes wait we were joined by our skipper and we boarded the boat which took us first over to Hollywood Studios where we caught the opening bars of Fantasmic before going back around the Boardwalk area and finally over to EPCOT where we moored up under the bridge between United Kingdom and France. There was still a few minutes until show time and so our skipper told us the story behind Illuminations and the three parts to the show.

Once the show started we had a perfect view of what I still think is my favourite fireworks show in Disney World.

continued

Old 04-12-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
wickesy

When the show finished we moved out into the lake before turning around and heading back to the Yacht Club and said our goodbyes, handing over the present we had bought for Karen. As there is only the two of us the Illuminations Cruise is something that we have never done before, and we will probably never do it again so once again, thank you Karen for inviting us - it was a lovely way to spend an evening and great to meet you all.

We were back at the studio for 10:00 and had a few nibbles before turning in for the night knowing that we had an easy start tomorrow as we were off to Cypress Gardens, which didn’t open until 10:00.

Day 10

Last edited by wickesy; 04-12-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:03 AM   #5
Natasha&Matt
I fancy Prince Eric

Loving the jim shore piece, How much was it over there if you dont mind me asking?

The cruise looks fab

May 2005 All star Movies May 2008 Pop Century September 2009 Newport Bay Club
May 2010 Enclave Suites/Hard Rock Hotel Club/Pop Century

Natasha&Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #6
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha&Matt View Post
Loving the jim shore piece, How much was it over there if you dont mind me asking?
Hi Tash. No problem, it was $90.53 including tax. Most of the collectibles shops seemed to have it while we were there.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had the perfect day! Starting with the Segway and ending with an Illuminations cruise - can't get better than that!
Old 04-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #8
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Great day, im glad you enjoyed the cruise

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:39 AM   #9
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycute View Post
Sounds like you had the perfect day! Starting with the Segway and ending with an Illuminations cruise - can't get better than that!
It really was a great way to start and end the day. The Segways were so much fun and the weather for the cruise was perfect, not too hot and not too cold.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:17 AM   #10
Gaynor
DIS Veteran

What a fantastic day

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6mc5sfpevnykyj.png[/img]
Aug 2009 Disneyland, San Diego and Las Vegas ....Dec 2009 Terra Verde Resort & Spa
Aug 2008 - 3 Weeks, 3 Day Disney Wonder, Port Orleans French Quarter, Villa @ Sunset Lakes
Aug 2007 Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando - May 2007 Terra Verde Resort & Spa
Feb 2006 Thousand Oaks
Aug 2004 Ridgewood Lakes
Xmas/New Year 2002/2003 Santa Fe DLP
Gaynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

what a great day. segway tour looks fun.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:01 AM   #12
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

A great day!!!! I love that Disney Traditions piece, I am running out of room where I can put things though.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
Nubbedy
I was born without a 'Hidden-Mickey-spotting' gene
ºoº

I love Illuminations too, especially the bit at the beginning where the voice guy 'blows out' the lights around the lagoon. Another great bit of shopping by your Dad again, that Disney traditions piece is fab, and nicely priced too.

Sara My Disbuddy is kristieuk
Disney World - July 2006 (ASMo), Aug 2007 (ASMo), Apr 2008 (Pop), Aug 2009 (POFQ), Aug 2010 (POFQ), Oct 2011 (POFQ) Aug 2012 (POFQ) Aug 2013 (POFQ)
Disneyland Paris - Jan 2007 (NY), Oct 2008 (Ch), Feb 2010 (Ch), Feb 2011 (Ch), Aug 2011 (SL)
Feb 2012 (Ch) Dec 2012 (Ch) Feb 2013 (Ch) Feb 2014 (Ch)
Nubbedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbedy View Post
I love Illuminations too, especially the bit at the beginning where the voice guy 'blows out' the lights around the lagoon.
I like that bit too and the bit at the end when the globe opens up and the sky lights up with all the white fireworks coming out.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
CHEK
DIS Veteran

Another great day David, I've looked into the Segway tour before, but never had the nerve to book it!

I also love the Jim Shore piece it's lovely , your Dad has great taste!

The Illuminations cruise sounds like a perfect end to a great day

April 2003 Wyndham Orlando
May 2004 Highlands Reserve
May 2006 Westridge
May 2007 Tuscan Ridge
Feb 2009 Tuscan Ridge
April 2013 Highlands Reserve
CHEK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: