Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Welcome Home, Now Relax ~ Day 8 - Magic Kingdom

Wednesday 1st April 2009

Once again I wasn’t awake until 7:15 but we were both up and out of the door by 8:10 and 15 minutes later we were parked up in Pluto 11 at the TTC. We got the express monorail around the lagoon and found a prime spot for the opening ceremony.

Once the park was open the first ride was Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. Neither of us have got the hang of this and I scored a pathetic 20,000 and Dad got a measly 27,900. I find it really hard to actually see where I am shooting and the limited movement of the guns means it is nowhere near as good as it’s new brother, Toy Story Mania.

From Buzz Lightyear we wandered through Fantasyland and around to Big Thunder Mountain, which was a walk-on and for the first time we were right at the back of the train which seems to give a more intense experience.

After Big Thunder we went around to Pirates of the Caribbean which was also a walk-on, quite literally as a boat appeared just as we got to our assigned row. Now we have done the Disneyland California version this one is noticeably shorter and was over all too soon.

continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

From Pirates we walked round to Jungle Cruise and got fast passes with a return time of 10:30 to 11:30 and then went into Enchanted Tiki Room and from there to Country Bear Jamboree. I know a lot of people think these aren’t worth the time but to me they are still must-do’s for every trip.

By now our fast passes were valid so we returned to Jungle Cruise and had a great skipper who, judging by her name badge, was on the college program.

After Jungle Cruise we wandered round to Philharmagic where we arrived just as the doors were opening for the next show. This is a great 3D film and it is always fun to watch the kids grabbing at things just in front of their noses. What wasn’t so great was that as we were walking out we saw four pairs of ‘opry glasses’ that had just been dumped on the floor where the wearers had been sitting moments before - is it really so hard to take them outside with you?

After Philharmagic it was time for lunch so we made our way round to Colombia Harbor House where I had the tuna sandwich and Dad had the chicken nuggets and fries. We also had a coke each and the total was $21.48.

After lunch we did a bit of shopping on Main Street. Dad bought a Grumpy figurine.

We also bought a couple of polo shirts for ourselves and a ‘Four parks, one world’ note holder for Custard Tart (Karen) as a thank you for inviting us on the Illuminations cruise.

continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
wickesy

As we were shopping the new Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It parade went past.

We left the park around 1:00 and drove over to Downtown Disney where the Characters In Flight balloon ride had been rumoured to open today. We didn’t see it in the air on the way over and once we got there we saw a Cast Member talking to another family and explaining that it was still in testing and was hoped to be opening early the next week, just in time for us to get a ride in before we leave.

We then went down to Marketplace and into World of Disney where I bought a book: Walt Disney World, Now, Then and Forever and a Walt Disney World suitcase. From there we went back to the studio to have a break before going out for dinner at Boma.

continued

Old 04-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
wickesy

Our reservation for Boma was for 6:05 so we went back out at 5:20. As we approached Animal Kingdom Lodge we found that the new gatehouse just past the Sherbeth Road intersection was now open and the one at Jambo House was unmanned. We had a quick look around the shop before checking in at Boma at 5:45 and we were seated within a couple of minutes.

Dad started off with a salad while I did things a bit backwards and started with potatoes with Afritude, chicken and salmon. Dad then went up and got a plate full of ‘mains’ while I had lentil and sausage soup before going back for chicken pepper pot soup. Dad went back for a second plateful and I went back for some more lentil and sausage soup. I then finished with zebra domes and chocolate brownies while Dad had zebra domes and banana bread pudding with rum sauce. Many people don’t know but it is actually Florida law that if you eat at Animal Kingdom Lodge you must have zebra domes.

After eating we went back to the shop where I bought a couple of AKL prints before returning to the studio where we spent the rest of the evening relaxing and watching the latest Lost before going to bed at 10:00 ready for our Segway Tour early in the morning.

Day 9

Last edited by wickesy; 04-12-2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Gaynor
DIS Veteran

i'm really enjoying your report can't believe your half way through already
I love Pirates of the Caribbean and can't wait to try it in California

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6mc5sfpevnykyj.png[/img]
Aug 2009 Disneyland, San Diego and Las Vegas ....Dec 2009 Terra Verde Resort & Spa
Aug 2008 - 3 Weeks, 3 Day Disney Wonder, Port Orleans French Quarter, Villa @ Sunset Lakes
Aug 2007 Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando - May 2007 Terra Verde Resort & Spa
Feb 2006 Thousand Oaks
Aug 2004 Ridgewood Lakes
Xmas/New Year 2002/2003 Santa Fe DLP
Gaynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
Many people don’t know but it is actually Florida law that if you eat at Animal Kingdom Lodge you must have zebra domes.
What's the wink for? That's 100% true - I'm a lawyer, I know these things!

Another great report We ended up in EPCOT on the 1st. Did you notice that by now the crowds were really starting to build? We got to EP for rope drop, but by about 10.30am, the TT wait was already 75mins
Easter 1992 - Holiday Inn I-Drive/ Hilton St. Pete’s Beach, June 1993 - Doubletree Universal/ Hilton Clearwater, Easter 1995 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive,Halloween 1995 - DLP offsite, Easter 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive, Easter 2000 - Doubletree Universal, Christmas 2000 - Courtyard by Marriot DTD/ Tradewinds Island Grande St Pete’s Beach/ Holiday Inn Universal Halloween 2001 - Cheyenne DLP, Easter 2002 - CBM DTD/ Clearwater Beach Hotel, July 2003 - Newport Bay DLP Jan 2004 - Cypress Pointe, Easter 2005 - Hawthorn Suites LBV/ Bahama Bay, July 2006 - Newport Bay DLP Christmas2006- Springhill Suites LBV, Thanksgiving 2007 - Buena Vista Palace/ Park Shore Naples/ Pop/ CSR, March/ April 2009 - Pop/ CSR/ Blue Heron Beach Resort Nov 2009 - SSR and free dining Oct 2010 - SSR and free DDP March 2011 - Solo trip to BLT Sept 2011 - DLRP Christmas/ New Year 2011 - BLT/AKV/WLV Nov 2012 - BLT/Dream 4 night Bahamas Cruise June 2013 -Magic Mediterranean 7 night cruise November 2013 - BLT February 2014 - DLP solo October 2014 - ASM, BLT & BC
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

Really enjoying your report David.

I must admit your description of Sweet Tomato's food makes we more convinced that we need to try this in May - sounds yummy

Looking forward to reading more

Tammy
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2312 View Post
What's the wink for? That's 100% true - I'm a lawyer, I know these things!

Another great report We ended up in EPCOT on the 1st. Did you notice that by now the crowds were really starting to build? We got to EP for rope drop, but by about 10.30am, the TT wait was already 75mins
I think we managed to miss most of them because we got to the parks early and were out by lunchtime. The worst we saw was at Hollywood Studios on the day before we left when the traffic was backed up along Buena Vista Drive waiting to get in at 9:30am! I have read that the Studios closed because it reached capacity on that day and I overheard somebody on the plane home saying it was really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Stringer View Post
Really enjoying your report David.

I must admit your description of Sweet Tomato's food makes we more convinced that we need to try this in May - sounds yummy

Looking forward to reading more

Tammy
Thanks Tammy. Definitely try Sweet Tomato's, there's something for all but the strictest carnivore there.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
CHEK
DIS Veteran

Love the Grumpy figurine

We loved the Move it Shake it parade

Once again your meal at Boma sounds lovely especially the Chicken pepper pot soup, was it as good as it sounds ?

April 2003 Wyndham Orlando
May 2004 Highlands Reserve
May 2006 Westridge
May 2007 Tuscan Ridge
Feb 2009 Tuscan Ridge
April 2013 Highlands Reserve
CHEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEK View Post
Once again your meal at Boma sounds lovely especially the Chicken pepper pot soup, was it as good as it sounds ?
The soup was absolutely delicious.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Yet another fantastic trip report! Your picture of the grumpy figurine has given me a GREAT idea for DH's Christmas present this year!!
Old 04-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Another lovely day.

Although not quite the same as getting one from WDW, they do have a grumpy plush on the UK Disney store site.......

http://disneystore-shopping.disney.c...-Soft-Toy.aspx

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Wow, David, you and your Dad must be doing some major redecoration. You brought home so much framed art this trip.

Having read Tammy's reply, it looks like I'll probably be trying Sweet Tomatoes myself in May. We have a similar restaurant chain in this part of the US (Salad Alley, they're called) and it is a nice alternative to the usual fast food.

Having never heard of Characters in Flight until your report, I'm now excited about the possibility of doing this in May. How about it, Tammy?
Old 04-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky166 View Post
Another lovely day.

Although not quite the same as getting one from WDW, they do have a grumpy plush on the UK Disney store site.......

http://disneystore-shopping.disney.c...-Soft-Toy.aspx
Thanks Claire. Dad's watching a couple on Ebay but if he has no joy with those at least we know where we can get one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanEllen View Post
Wow, David, you and your Dad must be doing some major redecoration. You brought home so much framed art this trip.
They're just prints at the moment, framing is the next step (and expense )

Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
Nubbedy
I was born without a 'Hidden-Mickey-spotting' gene
ºoº

Stop writing about food places - you are making my mouth water!! Boma sounds fabulous, and is definitely on my list for August.

Sara My Disbuddy is kristieuk
Disney World - July 2006 (ASMo), Aug 2007 (ASMo), Apr 2008 (Pop), Aug 2009 (POFQ), Aug 2010 (POFQ), Oct 2011 (POFQ) Aug 2012 (POFQ) Aug 2013 (POFQ)
Disneyland Paris - Jan 2007 (NY), Oct 2008 (Ch), Feb 2010 (Ch), Feb 2011 (Ch), Aug 2011 (SL)
Feb 2012 (Ch) Dec 2012 (Ch) Feb 2013 (Ch) Feb 2014 (Ch)
Nubbedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: