Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Parks Closed at Capacity

On the local news here in Orlando that the past few days have seen many Parks at capacity! As I recall, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Aquatica, Universal Studios and Magic Kingdom were all mentioned. Even Gatorland was very full.

I-4 outside of WDW was a worse than normal parking lot yesterday.

Maybe the recent ticks of economic upturns are calming people now.

Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

It was a weird week. I was scheduled in a Typhoon Lagoon ticket booth from 9:00 to 3:00 both Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday I asked for and received an early release when after about and hour and a quarter I had no transactions at all.

Thursday was a total zoo. At about noon the coordinator came in and told me that Blizzard had capacity closed and that we were out of both chairs and lockers. About 1:00 we closed our parking lot aas every legal space in main parking, overflow parking, the grass field, the Bus/RV parking and drop-off area, and even spaces in the Cast lot were taken and people were parking on the grass at the side of the road. About 2:30 they started letting cars back in as people left in their cars.

I was asked to stay late but I absolutely had to leave by 4:00. At 3:15 the coordinator came and closed the line to my window so I could bank out and leave by 4:00.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs

Last edited by Cheshire Figment; 04-14-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Padrepride
The Ultimate Padre Fan

spring break=crazy times
Padrepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Bad economy my big toe.........................
Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
On the local news here in Orlando that the past few days have seen many Parks at capacity! As I recall, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Aquatica, Universal Studios and Magic Kingdom were all mentioned. Even Gatorland was very full.

I-4 outside of WDW was a worse than normal parking lot yesterday.

Maybe the recent ticks of economic upturns are calming people now.

How bout that Bob Iger? He singlehandedly cured the US recesssion.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
About 2:30 they started letting cars back in as people

Interesting, how do they do that?

I know it was a typo, just too good to pass up
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
SelfEmployedDebtFree
If I hadn't just been sitting in it; I'd swear you had lost your mind! (Tim Burton's Corpse Bride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post
Interesting, how do they do that?

I know it was a typo, just too good to pass up

Favorite Walt Disney World drink: "Beverly" in Club Cool!

Cameras used: Olympus Stylus 410, Konica Minolta Dimage Z2, RED Pentax K-x DSLR
SelfEmployedDebtFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
mrsR123
Mad about the mouse
Teacher, teacher, can you teach me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitros View Post

I would think that many of the spring breakers had planned their trips (perhaps including saving for) far in advance. Let's see what summer holds, when the less obsessive, non-twelve month out planning, day guests are usually in attendance.
mrsR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
Dznefreek
R.I.P Bruce

Quote:
Tell that to all the people who have lost their jobs.

Easter is traditionally a big 2 week period. I'll take that toe now. . . . . . .
Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

What's being missed here...

In years past, starting the end of March and running thru April 16th or 20th... there were staged closures almost every day at the MK and occasionally other parks like the water parks etc.

This year.. there are a few staged closures a few days apart and some folks say "see.. the economy is fine and Disney is packed" -- forgetting that in years past that condition was daily and went on for three weeks.

Knox

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
Joeguitar
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I still can not understand your intense skepticism regarding how bad the economic conditions are on Disney and most of the United States. The data is there...it is not being manipulated. Small businesses and large corporations are cutting back or going out of business in my home town alone. This is the worst economy in my lifetime; that is simply a fact.

Is Western civilization collapsing? Not really....but how bad does it have to be for you to deem this economy bad? 12% unemployment?
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

~Walt Disney~
Joeguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
SelfEmployedDebtFree
If I hadn't just been sitting in it; I'd swear you had lost your mind! (Tim Burton's Corpse Bride)

Quote:
Mitros is not altogether wrong. Not everyone is hurting, and not everyone is without a job. I've been on these boards more recently (this month) because I have less work this month, but the 4 months prior to April were some of the busiest months I've had since I started my company 10 years ago!
If your judging the state of the economy by the newspaper, the media (News on TV), or far worse... Craigslist, it's doom and gloom and despair. However if you get out there you'll see that a LOT of people have figured out how to play the recession. A lot of businesses are taking advantage of the recession. Tire sales are waaaay up, auto parts sales are up. Plumbing repairs are up. Home improvements (DIY) are up, etc. While anyone can argue any of these the bottom line is that some businesses are better off DURING the recession.
People are still spending money. Some people are doing better than they were. Others are taking advantage of recession sales and circumstances. Right now while everyone on Craigslist is WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNIIIIIIIINNG like a fiddle about the economy others are gobbling up grills, patio chairs, and other items that they have been putting off buying until now. When people get desperate they often make poor economic decisions and sell things for less than they are worth. There are people out there just waiting for those items. It's not dishonest; it's life. It happens now and it happened 100 years ago.
And in addition to that, you have another trend: Someone who might have bought a new car might decide to buy a used one (from someone needing fast cash to save their house) and they might then decide "Hey! We have extra money! Let's go to Disney World!"
[On a side note: Let GM R.I.P. If they can't run their business well enough to survive they deserve to go under like the rest of us!]
6 years or so ago we were at the point of selling our home. It was just too small. Waaaay too small. Since I have a close family member who's a realtor, we knew how it all went. I put it to my wife like this: We can sell our home, and buy a bigger home. BUT if we do..... Those 3-4 trips to Disney a year will stop. She basically told me she'd sleep on the floor in the closet before she gave up her Disney trips.
My point is I choose to look at my own circumstances rather than the economy as a whole, and I'm not in a recession. Many of those losing their homes (I may get flamed....) made POOR decisions that got them there in the first place. Poor credit card decisions. Poor mortgage decisions. Poor new car decisions. Poor "keep up with the Jones" decisions. Poor "My little Johnny or Sally has to have Old Navy and Gap brand clothes" decisions. Poor eating out decisions. Poor investment decisions. The list goes on and on.
Sure we can blame things on others, but 99% of the time if we get really honest we have to admit the problem was our own.
I was raised by a single mom, in a singlewide mobile home, in a bad section of town, and I never fully graduated from college, but I turned out OK. Its all about the decisions we make.
I opted to drive (and still do) 80s and 90s model vehicles rather than pay a car payment, I take my own food from home for lunch at work, I buy my NAME BRAND clothes at yard sales for 50 cents each, I refinanced my mortgage when the rates fell so I could pay it off early, I chose NOT to try to compete with the Jones (I don't even LIKE the Jones) and in the end it was all smart. Who knew?

I've said it hundreds of times before, but the single wisest quote was from my old pastor. "We buy things we don't need and can't afford, to impress people we don't even like." This quote was made during Christmas, but it's an all year quote.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
Mouseaholic!!!
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfEmployedDebtFree View Post
Mitros is not altogether wrong. Not everyone is hurting, and not everyone is without a job. I've been on these boards more recently (this month) because I have less work this month, but the 4 months prior to April were some of the busiest months I've had since I started my company 10 years ago!
If your judging the state of the economy by the newspaper, the media (News on TV), or far worse... Craigslist, it's doom and gloom and despair. However if you get out there you'll see that a LOT of people have figured out how to play the recession. A lot of businesses are taking advantage of the recession. Tire sales are waaaay up, auto parts sales are up. Plumbing repairs are up. Home improvements (DIY) are up, etc. While anyone can argue any of these the bottom line is that some businesses are better off DURING the recession.
People are still spending money. Some people are doing better than they were. Others are taking advantage of recession sales and circumstances. Right now while everyone on Craigslist is WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNIIIIIIIINNG like a fiddle about the economy others are gobbling up grills, patio chairs, and other items that they have been putting off buying until now. When people get desperate they often make poor economic decisions and sell things for less than they are worth. There are people out there just waiting for those items. It's not dishonest; it's life. It happens now and it happened 100 years ago.
And in addition to that, you have another trend: Someone who might have bought a new car might decide to buy a used one (from someone needing fast cash to save their house) and they might then decide "Hey! We have extra money! Let's go to Disney World!"
[On a side note: Let GM R.I.P. If they can't run their business well enough to survive they deserve to go under like the rest of us!]
6 years or so ago we were at the point of selling our home. It was just too small. Waaaay too small. Since I have a close family member who's a realtor, we knew how it all went. I put it to my wife like this: We can sell our home, and buy a bigger home. BUT if we do..... Those 3-4 trips to Disney a year will stop. She basically told me she'd sleep on the floor in the closet before she gave up her Disney trips.
My point is I choose to look at my own circumstances rather than the economy as a whole, and I'm not in a recession. Many of those losing their homes (I may get flamed....) made POOR decisions that got them there in the first place. Poor credit card decisions. Poor mortgage decisions. Poor new car decisions. Poor "keep up with the Jones" decisions. Poor "My little Johnny or Sally has to have Old Navy and Gap brand clothes" decisions. Poor eating out decisions. Poor investment decisions. The list goes on and on.
Sure we can blame things on others, but 99% of the time if we get really honest we have to admit the problem was our own.
I was raised by a single mom, in a singlewide mobile home, in a bad section of town, and I never fully graduated from college, but I turned out OK. Its all about the decisions we make.
I opted to drive (and still do) 80s and 90s model vehicles rather than pay a car payment, I take my own food from home for lunch at work, I buy my NAME BRAND clothes at yard sales for 50 cents each, I refinanced my mortgage when the rates fell so I could pay it off early, I chose NOT to try to compete with the Jones (I don't even LIKE the Jones) and in the end it was all smart. Who knew?

I've said it hundreds of times before, but the single wisest quote was from my old pastor. "We buy things we don't need and can't afford, to impress people we don't even like." This quote was made during Christmas, but it's an all year quote.

Oh yea - right ----- talk to Chrysler employees the end of this month. They came to work....they did their jobs.....they may loose everything.

Oh yes - GM next month.

Your post and Mr. "Big Toe" are quite simply - rude.

My 88 year old mother - survivor of the Depression - has always been careful with her $$$$. Her investments disappeared and now State Health Care and Retirement are in danger.

My little company is limping through furlough's each month.....my Dealers are closing...none of these people were taking large risks.

DH has faced buyouts and life after the laid-off have left. How much fun do you think it is to work "backstage" at WDW right now.....stress I guess you are lucky to avoid.

Insensitive comments.
Mouseaholic!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Palendat
DIS Veteran

My guess would be that a very big part of the hard times that Disney is facing is not in getting bodies in the parks so much as having them open their wallets for souveniers once they are there. The parks can be at capacity all they want with annual pass holders, Florida residents, and 4/3 hotel special guests. If those guests dont purchase $100 worth of junk (for, I'm sure, a $75 or more profit to Disney), then the financial results will be very dissapointing for Disney.
Palendat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
SelfEmployedDebtFree

Quote:
Your post and Mr. "Big Toe" are quite simply - rude.
Just because your having it hard don't mean you have to be hateful.

Last edited by SelfEmployedDebtFree; 04-15-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: