Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Welcome Home, Now Relax ~ Day 5 - Animal Kingdom Take 1

Sunday 29th March 2009

The alarm woke us up and after a quick wash and brush up we were out the door at 8:00 and on our way to Boma for our 8:30 reservation. As we approached Animal Kingdom Lodge I noticed that they have built a new gatehouse on the access road which will serve the main building and the new DVC resort - Kidani Village, and they have also changed the sign on the road leading to AKL itself to Jambo House.

We were seated as soon as we arrived and ordered a house juice each and then we went up to the buffet where I had bacon, scrambled egg, French toast and breakfast potatoes and Dad had similar. After polishing his plate off Dad went back up for some fruit but I was too full for any more.

We had a quick look around the shop and then went back to the car at which point it started raining. By the time we got to Animal Kingdom it was absolutely pouring and so we sat in the car for twenty minutes until it eased off and then got on the tram to the main gates where we got a poncho each. By this time my cold had come out, I had a runny nose and realised I had left my camera in the car so the day really wasn’t going well.

It was too late for the first Lion King show so we wandered through Asia into Africa and up to Kilimanjaro Safari where the wait time was posted as 20 minutes but it was actually more or less a walk-on. There were quite a few animals about and I would have got some great photos as our driver, who looked about 14, was going quite slowly. I think the lioness must have been in for re-furbishment though as she was nowhere to be seen.

After our safari we walked back down to Camp Minnie Mickey for the 11:00 Lion King show which was great and really lifted my mood. Once the show had finished we had a look around Island Mercantile and when we came out it had started raining hard again so I decided to write the day off and we went back to the studio to wait for the weather to ease a little.

By about 2:30 it had been dry for a while and so we decided to go over to Downtown Disney to do some shopping. As expected, due to the earlier rain, the place was heaving and so we ended up having to park at West Side and walk back down to Village Marketplace.

First stop was the Christmas shop where we bought some ornaments to go on the tree this year.

continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Then we went into Art of Disney where we bought a poster and some prints for my bedroom.

From there we went to the kitchen shop and bought some oven gloves.

And finally we went into World of Disney but it was so busy in there we gave up and went back to the studio.

We went back out again at 5:15 heading for the Golden Corral on Vineland Avenue but the location on the TomTom map is slightly out and we had passed it without realising so we ended up turning around in Premium Outlets and saw it on the way back. This was the first time that we had been to this particular branch but it is one of the cleanest and smartest we have been to so we will definitely be going back.

After a big stodge-up dinner we were back in the studio by 6:30 and spent the evening on the net and watching television before going to bed at 10:00 ready for a full morning at EPCOT tomorrow.

Day 6

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise

Last edited by wickesy; 04-11-2009 at 05:30 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Wow ! you did a lot of shopping today, i love the vision artwork

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Shame about the weather.

I love shopping photos - I must remember to do them myself in September.....usually I just leave it all in the bags and hide them in the empty suitcases so hubby doesn't realise quite how much I've bought!

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Shame you got rained off today! Sounds like the Lion King show is really good - I have somehow missed seeing this up to now so it's a "must do" this September!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Inspite of a nasty cold and inconvenient rain you turned the day your way. This is an impressive amount of shopping. You and your Dad single-handedly (double handedly??!) improved the US economy that day. Thanks for that.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanEllen View Post
This is an impressive amount of shopping. You and your Dad single-handedly (double handedly??!) improved the US economy that day. Thanks for that.
No problem, always happy to help out our cousins across the pond.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not

The rain was a pain, wasn't it! We checked out of CSR that day, but couldn't check into our new digs until 4pm, so we ended up have a drive around I-Drive and lunch at Sweet Tomatoes (can't wait until there's one at LBV!).
Thankfully though, I think we were all blessed with the weather - when we went at Easter 05 it rained for one week straight!
Our DVC guide said that they were all hoping for rain - we were like, "not until we get home, please"
Sorry for crashing your TR again btw
Easter 1992 - Holiday Inn I-Drive/ Hilton St. Pete’s Beach, June 1993 - Doubletree Universal/ Hilton Clearwater, Easter 1995 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive,Halloween 1995 - DLP offsite, Easter 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive, Easter 2000 - Doubletree Universal, Christmas 2000 - Courtyard by Marriot DTD/ Tradewinds Island Grande St Pete’s Beach/ Holiday Inn Universal Halloween 2001 - Cheyenne DLP, Easter 2002 - CBM DTD/ Clearwater Beach Hotel, July 2003 - Newport Bay DLP Jan 2004 - Cypress Pointe, Easter 2005 - Hawthorn Suites LBV/ Bahama Bay, July 2006 - Newport Bay DLP Christmas2006- Springhill Suites LBV, Thanksgiving 2007 - Buena Vista Palace/ Park Shore Naples/ Pop/ CSR, March/ April 2009 - Pop/ CSR/ Blue Heron Beach Resort Nov 2009 - SSR and free dining Oct 2010 - SSR and free DDP March 2011 - Solo trip to BLT Sept 2011 - DLRP Christmas/ New Year 2011 - BLT/AKV/WLV Nov 2012 - BLT/Dream 4 night Bahamas Cruise June 2013 -Magic Mediterranean 7 night cruise November 2013 - BLT February 2014 - DLP solo October 2014 - ASM, BLT & BC
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2312 View Post
The rain was a pain, wasn't it! We checked out of CSR that day, but couldn't check into our new digs until 4pm, so we ended up have a drive around I-Drive and lunch at Sweet Tomatoes (can't wait until there's one at LBV!).
Thankfully though, I think we were all blessed with the weather - when we went at Easter 05 it rained for one week straight!
Our DVC guide said that they were all hoping for rain - we were like, "not until we get home, please"
Sorry for crashing your TR again btw
Feel free to crash anytime. I can think of worse places to spend a rainy day than Sweet Tomatoes.

Aside from that morning and one other morning (coming up on Day 10 I think) the weather was really great.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

sorry to hear you felt poorly again you have purchased some cool gear I love the print of mickey painting walt. and all the crimbo decorations. I know your tree this year will look FAB-U- LOUS.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Shame about the rain David - if it's any consolation it always rains when we go to Animal Kingdom
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Nubbedy
I was born without a 'Hidden-Mickey-spotting' gene
ºoº

Great shopping - I love those pics, especially the Vision one.

Am I being thick though - seen another reference to this lately - is the lioness on Kilimanjaro Safaris not real then??

Sara My Disbuddy is kristieuk
Disney World - July 2006 (ASMo), Aug 2007 (ASMo), Apr 2008 (Pop), Aug 2009 (POFQ), Aug 2010 (POFQ), Oct 2011 (POFQ) Aug 2012 (POFQ) Aug 2013 (POFQ)
Disneyland Paris - Jan 2007 (NY), Oct 2008 (Ch), Feb 2010 (Ch), Feb 2011 (Ch), Aug 2011 (SL)
Feb 2012 (Ch) Dec 2012 (Ch) Feb 2013 (Ch) Feb 2014 (Ch)
Nubbedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbedy View Post
Great shopping - I love those pics, especially the Vision one.

Am I being thick though - seen another reference to this lately - is the lioness on Kilimanjaro Safaris not real then??
She is real but is normally seen in the same place, not moving and/or asleep so it's kind of becoming a running joke that it's an animatronic, which is why I put the wink in.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
Nubbedy
I was born without a 'Hidden-Mickey-spotting' gene
ºoº

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
She is real but is normally seen in the same place, not moving and/or asleep so it's kind of becoming a running joke that it's an animatronic, which is why I put the wink in.
Missed the wink - sorry! Thanks for clearing that up for me, or I would have been the person on the Kilimanjaro safaris in August loudly telling her family that the lioness is another Disney animatronic!

Sara My Disbuddy is kristieuk
Disney World - July 2006 (ASMo), Aug 2007 (ASMo), Apr 2008 (Pop), Aug 2009 (POFQ), Aug 2010 (POFQ), Oct 2011 (POFQ) Aug 2012 (POFQ) Aug 2013 (POFQ)
Disneyland Paris - Jan 2007 (NY), Oct 2008 (Ch), Feb 2010 (Ch), Feb 2011 (Ch), Aug 2011 (SL)
Feb 2012 (Ch) Dec 2012 (Ch) Feb 2013 (Ch) Feb 2014 (Ch)
Nubbedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
CHEK
DIS Veteran

Sorry about you feeling under the weather AND the rain!!

Glad Festival of the Lion King made up for it a little

Love the artwork you purchased

April 2003 Wyndham Orlando
May 2004 Highlands Reserve
May 2006 Westridge
May 2007 Tuscan Ridge
Feb 2009 Tuscan Ridge
April 2013 Highlands Reserve
CHEK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: