Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
Jenny-momof3
DIS Veteran

They just left for Disney, no ADR's, no no touring tips, no clue!

Ugh! Friends of mine just left for Disney. I knew they were going to go just didn't know when. I was hoping I would have some time to go over some plans, etc. with her.

She's not the most patient person in the world and really doesn't like crowds. For some reason she has in her head that people don't go to Disney on Easter. She said they're just going to wing it and they'll just go into a restaurant when they feel like eating. She's VERY into fine dining and she isn't going to be pleased when she can't get in anywhere.

She has 3 kids and it breaks my heart to know this trip is going to be miserable for them.

And I know when she gets back she's going to go on and on to our other friends how terrible Disney is and what a fool I am for spending so much money on AP's, etc. Ugh!!

One funny note... this is how clueless she really is! She said she's going to walk to the parks each day from her resort ( All Stars). She said she doesn't want to deal with the busses or driving to the parks. Um yea... good luck with that!

July'08 POP/WH, July'09 BCV/AKV,NOV'09 POP,MAR'10 WH,Dec.'10 POP, Mar'11 POP,July'11AK,Nov.'11 POP,Mar.12 WL/SSR, July'12 BCV/BLT,Dec '12 BC/AOA, Jan.13 WL, Apr.'13 BC, Jun. '13 SSR
Jenny-momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
scousemouse09
Mouseketeer

Sometimes you've just got to let people go their own way and make mistakes... My hubby doesn't understand why I have a plan of action for each day, even down to the order we go on the rides. He will thank me for it when we get there though!!

Hopefully your friend will have a good time, if not, don't let her spoil your next trip.
scousemouse09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
dairyqueenmom
If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse.

There was another post on a crowd thread about a woman at BW crying and trying to get all her money back because of the crowds. She just wanted to go home, it was her 1st trip. I love being in the know, but it wounds me to see people go and have a horrible time because they are so uninformed. Disney can be so magical if you know what you are doing.
1995 Disneymoon Dixie Landings, 1998 Off Site, 2000 Off Site, 2001 Disney Magic, 2004 CB, 2005 Disney Magic, 2006 ASMOV, 2007 ASMU, May 2008 AKV Our 1st trip Home, Sept. 2008 BWV Mommy and Daddy Get Away, Jan. 2009 AKV 40th Birthday Trip, Aug. 2009 Vero/AKV, Oct. 2009 Mom & Dad Annual Get Away BWV, August 2010 Summer Family Vacation AKV, August 2011 BCV/AKV Summer Family Vacation, December 2011 Solo Trip MVMCP, February 2012 Princess 1/2 Marathon Poly w/sister, July 2012 Summer Family Vacation Marriot Royal Palms & AKV, Feb. 2013 Princess 1/2 Marathon POR w/sister, July 2013 Summer Vacation AKV & Ft. Pierce Beach
DH Me DD16 DD14 DS10 DS10: Oberon
dairyqueenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

You know where she's staying, right?

How about this: call and leave a message for them. Or, better yet, fax them. Let them know you've heard about the crowds this week and thought they could use the info. Give them the most basic, most helpful info you can. Let them know how fastpasses work. Give them the touringplans info on least crowded parks this week. Give them the phone number for ADRs in the hope that maybe they can snag something last minute. Let her know that the peole getting shut out of the parks are NOT the ones there at rope drop!!! Maybe send some touring plans you think they may be able to use.. whatever.

Whether or not they choose to use the info is up to them. But they may end up eternally grateful that you saved their vacation.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 04-10-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
lawone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
You know where she's staying, right?

How about this: call and leave a message for them. Or, better yet, fax them. Let them know you've heard about the crowds this week and thought they could use the info. Give them the most basic, most helpful info you can. Let them know how fastpasses work. Give them the touringplans info on least crowded parks this week. Give them the phone number for ADRs in the hope that maybe they can snag something last minute. Maybe send some touring plans you think they may be able to use.. whatever.

Whether or not they choose to use the info is up to them. But they may end up eternally grateful that you saved their vacation.
What a nice idea.... at least you will have tried....
lawone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
kymom99
DIS Veteran

That is a great idea! Maybe you could fax them a message telling them you hope they are having a great time and you are so excited for them. Then you can tell her to call you and tell you what park they are going to first. That would open the door for some advice to be given.
kymom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

In fact, if you really wanted a Nobel Prize, you could call around and try to get her an ADR-- anywhere-- for Easter Sunday, and include that info in the fax. Obviously, you would want one that wouldn't require any sort of credit card deposit.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
colonialtinker
You may not see much in a small town, but what you hear makes up for it!!

I really feel for her children. Why do some people just assume that its not going to crowded because its a holiday.

I agree try to fax her and give her a heads up, at least you will have tried.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
dawnn12
Mouseketeer

i understand your concern but have done disney plenty of times they way they are i have never made a adr and i have had no prob getting into any rest i wanted to (longest i waited was 1 hr and it was for gg so we went on soarin and killed the time till we were seated and we had a group of 10 at the time) and yes i have done other sit down rest we(2 dd's and my parents loved Akershus) didnt know anything about disney the fisrt time we were there(we went to fl(near clearwater) to see family then got evac. due to hurr. charlie so we moved inland) well we ended up near disney so we went for five days had a blast and i love going back.... the only thing i wished i had known was that they can and will shut down parks we didnt know that and tried to hop to mk and told we couldnt so we stayed in epcot not really a big deal but thats the only thing i wished i knew ...if your that concerned for them fax something to the resort but dont put to much info just some basic stuff and mention the fp's...if i recieved something with alot of info(and i didnt think i need it ...sounds like your friend) i wouldnt read it...but thats me ............this is only my opinion its your friend and you know her better then anyone on here i hope they have a good time
dawnn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
bdiddy
Mouseketeer

OMgosh - it sounds like you are describing my sister in laws sister in law! They did the EXACT same thing over Easter break. They also had 3 kids and when they came back all they could talk about was how it wasn't a good trip, how Disney is overrated and they had to wait to long for everything. I've actually heard them tell people NOT to go!!

What is wrong with these people?

CBR - Dec 2009, POR - Sept 2008
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
Day-Day
DIS Veteran

Make sure you include directions on walking to the parks from the All-Star Resorts; the CM's may not be willing to give her this information..
Day-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
DisneyWorldbuff
Where the Buffalo roam

Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes. At least you're not with them squandering a wonderful opportunity at Disney World. People think my planning is crazy too... but I know better and so do you I hope the kids have some fun though
DisneyWorldbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
MouseMadness
Mouseketeer

Please, please, please, post an update on how her trip experience went...I'll make sure to print it out and give it to anyone I know who is planning on doing Disney (especially during a holiday) without some kind of advance planning!!

DH Myself DS8 DD5

MouseMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #14
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort

I'll never understand how anyone would pay thousands of dollars to go ANYwhere on vacation, and not find out ANY information ahead of time at all.

It's fine if you're the type of person that can adapt to your environment, go with the flow and make the best of a situation. But if you're traveling with kids and you all have high expectations, disappointment is pretty much a certainty...
BradyBz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnn12 View Post
i understand your concern but have done disney plenty of times they way they are i have never made a adr and i have had no prob getting into any rest i wanted to (longest i waited was 1 hr and it was for gg so we went on soarin and killed the time till we were seated and we had a group of 10 at the time) and yes i have done other sit down rest we(2 dd's and my parents loved Akershus) didnt know anything about disney the fisrt time we were there(we went to fl(near clearwater) to see family then got evac. due to hurr. charlie so we moved inland) well we ended up near disney so we went for five days had a blast and i love going back.... the only thing i wished i had known was that they can and will shut down parks we didnt know that and tried to hop to mk and told we couldnt so we stayed in epcot not really a big deal but thats the only thing i wished i knew ...if your that concerned for them fax something to the resort but dont put to much info just some basic stuff and mention the fp's...if i recieved something with alot of info(and i didnt think i need it ...sounds like your friend) i wouldnt read it...but thats me ............this is only my opinion its your friend and you know her better then anyone on here i hope they have a good time
Believe me...the parks at not the same now as they were when Charlie came through!! I was there for Charlie and it was a non-issue as far as park crowds went. The crowds picked up as the week went on and the locals could get over to the parks...schools were closed, so kids needed something to do. But, there weren't all that many resort guests there.
At the moment, they (the parks) are experiencing some of the biggest crowds they've seen other than Christmas and July 4th.....when the parks close, it's because they simply can not hold anymore people.
Those people are eating....the vast majority have made their ADRs. I doubt that anyone is going to be able to just walk up to a table service restaurant and get a seat this week into next week. Perhaps at the less popular spots but not the most desirable ones.

It always boggles my mind to see people heading to WDW, for that first ever trip, with absolutely no preplanning. They are spending thousands of dollars but have no idea what they are getting into. As someone once said...'WDW is no place for spontanaity!' I always recommend that someone gets at least one guidebook, and then makes a few ADRs..if you decide when you get there that you don't want to eat there, fine. Stop at Guest Services and cancel the ADR..but at least you have something to fall back on.
Way too many people there right now to try and just 'wing it'. You need to have some kind of plan in place...otherwise you'll be walking around, with a glazed expression on your face, trying to figure out whether or not you want to spend 2 hrs in line at Splash Mt, and then where are you going to eat. Nope, a plan is a must when there are crowds at WDW.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: