Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Welcome Home, Now Relax ~ Day 2 - Hollywood Studios, Downtown Disney, Wal-Mart

Thursday 26th March

As expected we were awake early and by 6:00 we had both decided to give up on trying to get more sleep and got up. While Dad was in the bathroom I started our first day in traditional style - by watching Stacey and the Top 7 must-sees at Walt Disney World.

I hadnít done any unpacking last night so I did that and by 7:20 we were both washed, dressed and ready to go. The park didnít open until 9:00 so we went for a quick wander around part of the resort and took some photos.

We met some of Donald Duckís relatives who were staying in one of the lakes on the resort.

I assume this is a bird box

We then went back and got our stuff together before making our way to the park where we parked up in Stage 41 at around 8:30. The turnstiles opened at 8:45 and we then had to endure the opening ceremony (which only lasts 5 minutes but seems to go on for so much longer) before we could finally make our way over to the first ride of the holiday - Toy Story Midway Mania. We were fairly near the front for rope drop and although we didnít dawdle there was quite a queue for the Fast Pass machines by the time we got to the ride and although there was quite a line forming for the ride itself, and a wait time of 30 minutes showing, the line moved almost constantly and we were on within 10 minutes.

I started off a fair way ahead of Dad on the first couple of games but he soon caught and overtook me and the final scores were: Dad 61,500 (43% accuracy), me 54,900 (32% accuracy). We will definitely be fitting in another couple of rides before the fortnight is out.

From Toy Story we made our way to the Great Movie Ride where there was no wait and in fact there were people on the ride vehicles waiting for us to come along to fill them up a bit. We were in the first ride vehicle which meant that we finally got to see the cowboy scene that I had been wanting to see for a while.

After Great Movie Ride we browsed the shops for a while to kill time while we waited for the 11:00 showing of the American Idol experience.

Part of the pre-show here includes the warm-up man coming out into the audience with a camera crew and filming parts to be used in the live show later on so it is worth getting there early. We were soon into the theatre where there was a bit more warm-up before the show itself got started.

continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

I haven’t seen much of American Idol but it certainly felt like the real thing and I was surprised at how good the three contestants - two women and a man - were. The first girl sang Colors of the Wind, then the guy totally wowed us all with a rendition of If Everyone Cared and the second girl finished it off with Last Dance. We then all sang along to ‘I’ve Got The Music In Me’ with Jordin Sparks (on screen) while the backstage team edited the video reminders of the three performances. We then all got to vote via electronic keypads in the armrests of the seats and the winner was announced as the guy - Seth Taylor. I think the show is definitely worth a visit, even if you have not seen the TV show and I made a note to try and get to one of the ‘final shows’ while we are here.

After American Idol we went round to Studio Catering Company for lunch. We both had the chicken with rice and black beans and a coke which came to $20.36 but as this was one of the restaurants that offers a discount to DVC members we got $2.04 off.

The plan after lunch was to hit Downtown Disney so we left the park at 12:30 and made our way over to West Side for a quick browse of the TV DVD box-sets in Virgin before going back to the car and driving down to Village Marketplace (lazy I know but it saves having to walk down there and then back up again to the car). We had a look around World of Disney, a quick look in Team Disney, pin traders, Disney Days of Christmas (where we saw loads of stuff that we wanted and will have to try and narrow down later) and Art of Disney (same here). We then went back to World of Disney where Dad got a zip up Grumpy hoody although when he tried to charge it to the room the cast member said that he had reached his credit limit. We knew that couldn’t be right as we hadn’t used them yet so the cast member advised us to check at the front desk when we got back to the resort.

Next on the list was to go to Wal-Mart so we went out to the one on Vineland Road which was only a couple of miles away. We stocked up on root beer, Mountain Dew, crisps, dips, strawberry cream cheese, bagels, coffee, Budweiser, water and juice and the whole lot came to $53.35 which was great considering the amount we had in the trolley.

From Wal-mart we made our way back to Saratoga Springs and went to the front desk where they told us that Dad’s key might have got de-magnetised and issued us with new ones. We then went back to the room to relax before going out to Sweet Tomatoes for dinner.

We went back out at 5:30 and arrived at Sweet Tomatoes shortly before 6:00. I love Sweet Tomatoes - they have everything you could ever want and more to create your own salad, they have great soups and pasta to follow and their strawberry lemonade is delicious. We started off with a huge salad each then I had tomato and onion soup followed by black bean chili soup and Dad had rosemary potato soup followed by tomato and onion soup. I then had egg plant pasta and finished up with a peanut butter cookie bar and chocolate brownie muffin and Dad had frozen yoghurt. The whole thing came in at $24.28 and you can’t argue with that sort of value!

We left Sweet Tomatoes absolutely stuffed and made the short journey back to Saratoga Springs where we spent the evening relaxing with a couple of beers and were in bed by 10:00 ready for a day in Magic Kingdom tomorrow.

Day 3

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise

Last edited by wickesy; 04-10-2009 at 11:44 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

nice morning so far.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

you did well to get the cowboy versian of GMR .....ive never seen that !

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Another great day! We love Sweet Tomatoes too and can't wait to try out the new one at the Crossroads shopping centre when we go in September!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalielongstaff View Post
you did well to get the cowboy versian of GMR .....ive never seen that !
If you want to be sure of seeing it just ask if you can go in the first ride vehicle. That will take you straight through where they do the gangster scene and stop in the cowboy scene.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Gaynor
DIS Veteran

Great day. like the look of American Idol I never miss it on TV.
Sweet Tomatoes is on my list of places to eat next time, I've read some good reviews about it.

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6mc5sfpevnykyj.png[/img]
Aug 2009 Disneyland, San Diego and Las Vegas ....Dec 2009 Terra Verde Resort & Spa
Aug 2008 - 3 Weeks, 3 Day Disney Wonder, Port Orleans French Quarter, Villa @ Sunset Lakes
Aug 2007 Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando - May 2007 Terra Verde Resort & Spa
Feb 2006 Thousand Oaks
Aug 2004 Ridgewood Lakes
Xmas/New Year 2002/2003 Santa Fe DLP
Gaynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaynor View Post
Great day. like the look of American Idol I never miss it on TV.
Sweet Tomatoes is on my list of places to eat next time, I've read some good reviews about it.
You'll probably enjoy it even more than I did then. I forgot to mention in the trip report that they have three judges as well, you can just about see the judge's desk with the three red cups in the last photo. I can't remember who they were other than they did have an English guy called Simon who played the Simon Cowell role. Obviously being Disney they didn't say anything really harsh but there was some constructive criticism in there, it wasn't all sugary sweet.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Lizzybear
You fool! You gave cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god!
I'm the main holiday initiator/planner which is how I like it!

Great start to the hol at my favourite park Love Sweet Tomatoes, we ate there in LA aswell and it was just as good as I remembered from Orlando
DLP Day trip 1992, School trip 1997, Day trip 2000, Magic Circus 2003, Cheyenne 2006, Sequoia Lodge 2007 and Santa Fe 2010. WDW Ramada Resort I-Drive 2002, Sheraton Studio City 2005, POFQ 2007 and CSR 2009. DLR Fairfield Inn 2008.
Lizzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

You're root beer men--I like that about you two. Another thorough description of a packed, well-spent day. Thanks for the care you take with your reports, David.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanEllen View Post
You're root beer men--I like that about you two. Another thorough description of a packed, well-spent day. Thanks for the care you take with your reports, David.
Thanks to you too for your kind comments on them.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
If you want to be sure of seeing it just ask if you can go in the first ride vehicle. That will take you straight through where they do the gangster scene and stop in the cowboy scene.
i will, im always miffed when i get the gangster version again

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
CHEK
DIS Veteran

Great 1st day at DHS, TSM I have 1 word for it Fantastic

We were at DHS for the official opening of American Idol, but we didn't go and see it , something for next time

Sweet Tomatoes sounds fab, that's another thing for us to try!

Thanks for sharing such a detailed trip David

April 2003 Wyndham Orlando
May 2004 Highlands Reserve
May 2006 Westridge
May 2007 Tuscan Ridge
Feb 2009 Tuscan Ridge
April 2013 Highlands Reserve
CHEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEK View Post
Thanks for sharing such a detailed trip David
No problem, thanks for reading.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesnít bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

The best way to start any holiday.....TSM!!!! I loved it in December but we only managed to get on it once - I am determined to ride it several times in September.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: