Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
iluvsplashmtn
Earning My Ears

Red face DH does not like Disney but going on trip

DH hasn't ever been to Disney World, but will be coming with us
DS(5 when we go), friends of ours and their 5 year old and 2 1/2 year old.
He does not like Disney (Mainly Mickey & Friends) but he does seem to enjoy several movies such as Darkwing Duck, Cars although he would not admit to it...

He agreed to come to see DS (and me) have a great time

We will just be going for MK 2 days & AK 1 day.

I was thinking about steering him in the direction of Space Mtn, Big Thunder Mountain so he could have fun too while we're in Toontown or watching a parade.

He does not like golf and does not like catch & release fishing (althouh he never seems to catch anything anyway ) so I can't ship him away somewhere for a day

Any ideas on how to get him hooked on the house of mouse Has anyone ever achieved this miracle?
iluvsplashmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
crisi
DIS Veteran

I hooked mine, but they sound like different men - because mine took five trips before riding Space Mountain once (and said 'now I've done that, I never have to do it again') My advice, know your husband and make sure you point out the Disney that appeals to him - for my husband he is a logistics geek - so he loves watching queue management or how Disney moves tens of thousands through the park or how the music changes without you really noticing.....
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
DISNEYNV
Cats don't talk

Yes! Have a definate plan when you arrive. My DH and I took our first trip to WDW together ( my second/ his first) about 10 years ago before were married. It was August, it was hot, it was crowded, we did not know what to do or to expect! We had a cranky and exhausted DSD with who was only five at the time. No stroller... We rented one at Disney after carrying her around for two days! Needless to say he left Disney with a bad taste on his mouth and a somewhat expected hatred for the Mouse!

After a few years I talked him back and we had a better plan of action. We were used to going to Universal Studios for prekid trips to Halloween Horror and were used to planning and learning the importance of staying onsite!

We took DD who was two to USF and knew she was ready to take on Disney. We stayed onsite with my parents and made ADRs, knew what days we were going where and what rides to go on first and what to avoid, as well as bribing our stroller!

A few more trips later and another baby later too we are into the Disney thing! I say we, but DH actually loves planning our Disney trips now! I think that having a family itinerary as well as making reservations, and ADRs ahead of time has made Disney way less of a stressful event for DH. I think if your DH is up for going with the family that is a great start. It can be a very memorable trip, but I do think it can be overwhelming at times. Especially with small children. Take breaks in the afternoon and do something each day that everone can enjoy together. If DH likes thrill rides make sure they are part of the trip planning! There is always baby swap too

Does he like animals? AKL is a great place to visit and have dinner! Is he an outdoorsy guy? Fort Wilderness has horseback riding and other outdoor activities like wagon rides and a marshmallow roast at night.

The Hoop Dee doo review show is awesome and the Mickeys Back Yard BBQ would be fun for a guy too. The Sci Fi diner at HS is cool and if he is a Star Wars fan the ride and Jedi training thing is neat. Don't forget the Haunted Mansion and Pirates rides at MK and Everest at AK!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
ColoradoLime
Pure Disney Lover

I would buy a good travel book (I love my passporter!) and have him browse through that and maybe some Disney websites. Have him read about things that sound interesting and let him choose.

I would bet he doesn't like Disney because he's never been.

WDW: 2009 (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Disneyland CA: 2013 (HoJo Anaheim)

Join the best darn May/June 2013 DLR Trip Planning Thread! Click HERE

ColoradoLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #5
RN4Babies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsplashmtn View Post
DH hasn't ever been to Disney World, but will be coming with us
DS(5 when we go), friends of ours and their 5 year old and 2 1/2 year old.
He does not like Disney (Mainly Mickey & Friends) but he does seem to enjoy several movies such as Darkwing Duck, Cars although he would not admit to it...

He agreed to come to see DS (and me) have a great time

We will just be going for MK 2 days & AK 1 day.

I was thinking about steering him in the direction of Space Mtn, Big Thunder Mountain so he could have fun too while we're in Toontown or watching a parade.

He does not like golf and does not like catch & release fishing (althouh he never seems to catch anything anyway ) so I can't ship him away somewhere for a day

Any ideas on how to get him hooked on the house of mouse Has anyone ever achieved this miracle?

My ds18 was very underwhelmed about going to WDW leading up to our trip (he had never been there either). My son admitted later on that he thought it would be mainly for little kids with a roller coaster thrown in here and there (wrong!!). I had showed him tour books, he had watched youtube videos of different rides and attractions, but he didn't "get it" until we were there. We got to MK about 2:30pm on arrival day....the 3pm parade started, so we all sat on the curb to watch that. We then headed over to Monsters Inc. laugh floor, and he was cracking up. After that we went to Buzz Lightyear; from that point on, he was totally into it. He was taking the guidebook each night and making plans for what he'd like to do the next day for whatever park we were going to. He had a ball, and now wants to live in Florida when he's done with college so he can go to Disney as often as poxxible!!

If there's any way you can do it, I would try as hard as possible to get over to Epcot too. Future World is fun with rides (Soarin is amazing; my kids also loved TestTrack and my son liked Mission to Mars). Eating and drinking your way through the world show case is the best. My ex had never been to Disney many years ago when we went for our honeymoon (and was skeptical about going too); his favorite part of the trip was world showcase.

Go with a plan, but try to be somewhat flexible too. If you're there when it's hot and humid, make sure you all stay hydrated, and take along mister fans from home to use. Take breaks midday when the parks get packed, and go swimming. Make sure you have one or two special things planned for you and your hubby; this is your vacation, as well as the kids'!!!

WDW with DS17, DD8 and dear sister
February 23 through March 1, 2009

WDW with ex-DH (honeymoon)
RN4Babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
iluvsplashmtn
Earning My Ears

Thank You

Thanks for your suggestions everyone

I ruled out several rides due to the kids, but it looks like we'll be taking some time for Everest and Dinasaur at AK (I'd like to see these too). Although I enjoy them, I can skip Big Thunder Mountain RR, Space Mtn, but I CANNOT Miss Splash Mountain... This was the only ride during our trip I was planning on using the Baby Swap for the little one...
The others I can watch the youngest one while the others enjoy and I'll still be happy

What scares me about Baby Swap is upsetting the kids by making them stand in line for a ride they can't go on
iluvsplashmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I had a man like that.. I took him three times and well he still didnt like it but he wasnt a keeper anyway..LOL IMHO I think most ppl end up falling in love with WDW so just come up with a plan, I would google something like WDW touring plan for men. Also seeing his child having such a good time could be a factor in him falling in love with the experience. Now I just remarried back in Sept and new DH loves WDW just as much as much as kids and I do.. THANK GOD! LOL!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
Faldred
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsplashmtn View Post
What scares me about Baby Swap is upsetting the kids by making them stand in line for a ride they can't go on
Good news... they don't have to!

You get a "rider swap" pass from a CM at the entrance to the ride queue. As the "stay-behind" parent, you can take the kid(s) with you to do something else while group 1 goes through the ride line. ETA: example -- there's a playground next to the Splash Mountain queue... perfect for the 2 1/2 y.o.

You (and up to 2 other people) can use your rider swap pass any one time for the rest of the day -- it doesn't even have to be right away. Just show the pass and you'll go through the fastpass lane or otherwise be taken around the main standby line.

March 2009: Port Orleans Riverside ( Trip Report -- Dining Report ) -- May 2006: Vacation Village timeshare -- May 2002: Orange Lake timeshare
Faldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
CLEO Z
Mouseketeer

I don't know when you are going, but Space Mountain will be closed for rehab April 19 thru November 21.

I second the notion of getting him to Epcot. Test Track, Mission to Mars, Soarin', games and the whole science thing really appeals to the guys.
CLEO Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
mousefanmichelle
DIS Veteran

My dh is not a fan and doesn't quite understand my facination. That's ok. I am trying to make this trip more interesting for him though - we are staying somewhere he will enjoy (I hope) and I am thinking of booking him a tour so that he can see something he might like instead of being in the parks going, going, going.

Something funny - he really doesn't like Florida or Disney and is coming on this trip reluctently but he works with someone who has a friend who is a CM and this co-worker said they would try to hook my dh up with something interesting while we are there (don't know if it's really possible but...). The fact that he is talking about the trip to someone other than me - is exciting. It means to me that maybe he is looking a little bit forward to it!

I think I might get him a book to read about the underside of Disney - he likes that kind of thing.

Good luck with your dh!
Michelle

June 2003 Sheraton Vistana * June 2005 Sheraton Vistana *May 2007 Sheraton Vistana * May 2008 POP - Solo trip * Aug. 2008 POP & Grand Floridian * May 2009 Caribbean Beach * April 2010 Sheraton Vistana/ Ft. Wilderness cabin *
mousefanmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
sk!mom
DIS Veteran

My DH is hooked and he has severe motion sickness so all but the tamest rides are out for him. He really does love watching DD and I have fun. He also enjoys how clean and well organized the parks are. He loves character meals.

It's too bad that you don't have time for EpCot in your schedule- my DH loves the World SHowcase. On our last 10 day trip, we made several trips there. We all love EpCot especially with the addition of Soarin' (which DH cannot ride).
sk!mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
brergnat
DIS Veteran

I would also HIGHLY suggest going to Epcot.

When I took my DH (then boyfriend) to WDW for his first trip when we were in college...he was NOT into it at all. But, I made him go. He LOVED Epcot!!! Nothing like being able to drink beers from around the world to hook a guy.

I even convinced him to have a Fairy Tale Wedding/Honeymoon at WDW 3 years later...so it worked!

To this day, Epcot is still his favorite park. He could TOTALLY skip Magic Kingdom, though. He prefers Disneyland park.
brergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

My Dh was also a WDW hater until.....we went for free dining. He loves to eat. I planned all the meals to suit him. We also went to the waterparks, which he loved. Since then he has gone back 3 times and he is now pushing me to book FD for this year. Which I plan to do but he needs to give me a date. I want to go in October and he wants to go in August. He said he wants it to be hot when we are there. He thinks it's cool in October
Old 04-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I did not think either DH or I would be big fans before we went the first time. We both just figured it was a place we'd take the kids once since there are many other places we want to visit as well.

Well, we got hooked the first time. Instead of our planned next big trip to WY & west, we're headed back to Disney. In part because we have leftover tickets but we both just really enjoy being there w/our kids. We haven't even ridden most of the "major" rides & DH doesn't golf while there, we just like the atmosphere & enjoying it as a family. I'm hoping the heat of June won't put DH in a grumpy mood but we're looking forward to it. Part of me feels we should cancel but actually DH is the one pushing to keep our plans & go.

You never know, hope your DH discovers he loves it as much as you do!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
DaisyLynn
DIS Veteran

Well, me and DBF went last April for the first time together. I'm a vet, he had gone once with his ex-wife for just a few days on a "budget" trip. He was not very excited about going. I'm all for budget trips, in fact that's what we're doing when we leave in a couple weeks. I just knew that I could show him things that he hadn't seen or wouldn't expect from Disney.

I have 3 major tips that got him to say "YES" to going back this year:

1) Steaks. He's a man who loves steak, so I made sure that we had some good ones while down there. He still talks about his steak, "the best steak of his life," at Concourse Steakhouse (sad that it's gone).

2) Beer. He still talks about the beer flight at Raglan Road and thought it was pretty cool that he drank his faster than I drank mine. (Shhh...I let him win!)

3) Leave the world with him wanting more. I remember being at HS and us standing there, looking at Lights Motor Action Extreme Stunt Show. He really wanted to see it, but he also really wanted to go back on Rock n Rollercoaster. I had an "aha" moment right then and there. I knew that if I said "let's head back over for one more ride on Rock n Rollercoaster" he'd be happy to do that, but that at SOME POINT he'd say "well, we can see the stunt show next time"...I knew it! It was the morning that we were packing up to go, talking about our trip and things we liked and loved and he said it! "I really wish I could have seen that stunt show at the studios...but there's always next time, right?" So, when it came time to figure out where we were going to go on our spring vacation, I made sure that I was watching the Disney planning DVD when he got home from work...and imagine I had it all set so that when he walked through the door, Lights Motor Action was on the screen. The next day plane tickets were bought and package booked.

Is that evil???

To keep him hooked for next time:
-Beers around the world
-More steaks
-Space Mountain will be closed, so that kind of takes care of itself. No trip to Disney is complete without Space Mountain, in our opinions. We'll have to get back to ride it once it's open!

DaisyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: