Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #841
Maggimus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
We should ask the ladies on the new moms thread about this!!
I agree with this! Let me know if you have already asked, otherwise i dont care to.

Thanks formrcastmbr- Im glad you like it. I do all of the grocery shopping-- so that is a definite downside for me-- and also the bulkiness. Let me know if you ever find problems!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #842
caitty13
DIS Veteran

I ended up getting the Chicco Travel System in the Bella Pattern this time around. At first I didn't want the travel system. I was going to just get the car seat and either the snap and go or a sit and stand. But my son now over 40 pounds is to big for the sit and stand and it seemed to big...

I went with the Chicco mainly for the safety and it goes up to 30 lbs. With my son I had the graco travel system. Unfortunately I don't' remember which one. The seat itself wasn't to heavy, I just didn't' like the double wheels on the stroller and trying to shop in small areas.

As a second time mom I wouldn't have even gotten the travel system. But when your MIL paid for it then why not. I stopped using the travel system stroller last time around the time I switched out of the infant seat.

When my son got older I got the Maclearn Volo. Thanks to the DIS. I still use it for him, best stroller I have used. Folds up nice and it light weight.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #843
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Ron View Post

The best investment we made and the stroller I would recommend to everyone is the City Mini Baby Jogger . It is so much easier to push, compact and amazing quality. DH agrees it is far superior to the other strollers we tried.http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3372701 So easy to fold and works well in WDW, best travel stroller ever!!!!
Since I'm looking at double strollers, I'm not exactly the same market as most of you. So far we picked up a double snap n go frame on Craigslist for $40. I figure we'll probably get a pair of Snugride infant seats, but we don't have 'em yet.

After about 6 months or so, I want to get a pair of convertible carseats & a better twin stroller. The one I've been eyeing is the Baby Jogger City Mini Double. It looks real spiffy, but not really the thing to get for itty bitty babies, ya know.

For my son, we did register for & get a travel system. Eventually I got a different stroller, but still pretty big. Right before we took him to WDW for the first time I picked up a Maclaren Triumph & we used that until he got too tall for it. I guess about 2 1/2 years, really once we got the Maclaren it was our go-to stroller & we pretty much used it exclusively.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #844
Maggimus
DIS Veteran

Sarah, I went ahead and asked over there.

Here is the link to the New Moms Thread where I asked opinions on Strollers if anyone is interested
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post31659767
Old 05-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #845
MelessaG
Proud Mommy of 4!
Jimmy Fallon can update my weekend!

Dr. appt. and other updates

Hey all! I did the dreaded GTT test today, it wasn't too bad. Of course, my poor puppy had to be dropped off at the vet on the way when we noticed he had a strange limp last night, so waiting on the vet to call distracted me a lot while I was waiting the hour to get the blood drawn. I also saw the OBGYN and all is well. The vet didn't call until we were all done with the test and Dr. visit and, while I know this thread is all about the babies-to-be, I'm so worried about my poor pup-and I should be. His leg is broken in two places. They are keeping him overnight and putting pins in his leg in the morning. They think he was either hit by a car or that he was messing with the horses (again) at the training ranch near our house (I live out in the boonies) and got stepped on. Either way, I feel so bad for him and more than a little guilty (it happened while we were out to dinner for my birthday last night). I don't know how I could have prevented this (our yard adjoins the horse ranch and he comes and goes with the ranch owners' blessing), but I feel like I could have done something. He is such an independent, country dog and this will certainly cramp his style-hopefully for the better. Anyway, just wanted to let you all know that I survived the test and to ask for some good healing vibes for my dog. His name is Pablo. Thanks!

Mom to DD (12) DS (9) DD (7) DD (5) and a Bonus Baby born 08/04/2009

SOG '99, off-site '01 & '02, AKL '04, POR '05 and FW in '06!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #846
ShootingStarMom2
DIS Veteran

Hi,
DH and I have the Chicco Cortina travel system in sahara. We love it. It worked great for our first son and it's in such good shape still it looks like brand new. The one major difference in this system is that the carseat itself is keyfit, which means it locks into the base differently and doesn't have the hooks on the back like most others do. It has 'keys' on the sides (like little flippers) that hold the seat in place. It still fits in most shopping carts, but you have to make sure the ledge on the back is sitting evenly. It's rated for 4-30pounds. The basket on the stroller is a nice size too. It rocked at Disney!

The stroller isn't heavy and fits in the back of my Malibu. The nice thing about getting a system is you get the seat, stroller, and one base all together. We bought 1 extra base for the 2nd car so putting DS in the car was super easy. If you haven't registered yet, or did and have showers still, I would also suggest registering for the next size up carseat too.

We also have the Chicco capri and just use it for quick trips or if we know the travel system will be way too hard drag around. It does fold up nice, but it's no travel system. It only reclines about 3-4 inches so naps would be a little difficult.

Here is DS1 when we brought him home. He was 6lb 9oz and 21 inches long. This is how much room he took up. I was surprised how small he was once in the seat. He only took up the infant pad.

Last edited by ShootingStarMom2; 05-04-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Sorry, seat is up to 30 lbs
Old 05-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #847
HomeSweetDisney
Like Cheap Trick I surrender.
perfectly happy eating a bowl of cereal
..."and that my liege, is how we know the earth to be banana shaped."

Okay, I feel better. I'll start buying diapers when I darn well feel like it I guess.

Oh, and as for travel systems I got a great deal on mine! One of the girls I work with had a baby about 9 months ago and she sold me her Eddie Bauer travel system for 75 bucks! (The one she has originally cost $300 ) It's still in great condition and I tested the stroller out and it's super easy to maneuver. And I love the brown plaid pattern! She was originally going to get rid of it through a consignment sale but when she heard I was having a baby she offered to sell it to me. I got lucky! I was worried about spending so much money on something they grow out of so quickly but now that worry is gone
Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #848
raysnkaysmom
I don't think I'd mention I was in jail in an interview
I just hope my 4000th post doesn't say something stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
So while DH is away I think I need to think about names for these kids, we have some leading contenders for first names, but for some reason I'm not coming up with a ton of ideas for middle names, so anyone wanna play name game with me?

Leading boys name contenders are Dylan & Jackson. I think we're leaning towards Jackson, perhaps he'll grow up to be Jack..... so any good middle name ideas, for either name?

Girls names leaders are Michaela (pronounced Mi-kay-la) nickname Kailee or Kaylee; Katherine or Kathleen, nickname Katie. DH prefers Michaela/Kaylee & I'm leaning towards Kathleen/Katie. Again, middle name ideas?
I love Jackson... and of course, Kaylee (my DD8 name is Kayleigh)
Don't forget to think about initials in conjunction with your last name...don't give them bad word or name initials...lol
And, I agree what the other poster said about calling the names together. LOL, I did that before Ella was born "Sage, Ella, get in this house!!"

I would think for Jackson, you'd want to stick with a 1 or 2 syllable name.
For Michaela...it could go any which way, even up to 4 syllables if wanted.
Think of other names you like, or family names

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
Since I'm looking at double strollers, I'm not exactly the same market as most of you. So far we picked up a double snap n go frame on Craigslist for $40. I figure we'll probably get a pair of Snugride infant seats, but we don't have 'em yet.

After about 6 months or so, I want to get a pair of convertible carseats & a better twin stroller. The one I've been eyeing is the Baby Jogger City Mini Double. It looks real spiffy, but not really the thing to get for itty bitty babies, ya know.

For my son, we did register for & get a travel system. Eventually I got a different stroller, but still pretty big. Right before we took him to WDW for the first time I picked up a Maclaren Triumph & we used that until he got too tall for it. I guess about 2 1/2 years, really once we got the Maclaren it was our go-to stroller & we pretty much used it exclusively.
I will just say, dont go with the Peg Perago Tender XL, I have the hardest time maneuvering that double stroller!!! We got it at a consignment shop, but I'm losing it and getting something a little bit smaller/easier! We are pretty much feeling, if it's both of us (mom n dad) out together, we are using single strollers for each of them!!!
October 2010 DTD/Dolphin Honeymoon Getaway
November 2012~ DD 17th birthday visit to MK ~
June 2014 ~ DD Graduation Trip, 3 parks in one day!!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #849
MinnieFan4ever

DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggimus View Post
I havent seen her post anything. I hope things are going well for her.

Okay Dh and I need to register soon. I have to ask everyone's opinions on...

Strollers. I have heard that strollers/car seat combo's have the heavier stroller... but most of the time the better value.

What does everyone think about strollers-- whats best, whats terrible, etc, etc!?
I just got ours. I got the Chicco Cortina 30 travel system. Our local store had a great sale on ours. We got the second base for free. It is really easy to fold up and does stand on its own when folded.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #850
ShootingStarMom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieFan4ever View Post
I just got ours. I got the Chicco Cortina 30 travel system. Our local store had a great sale on ours. We got the second base for free. It is really easy to fold up and does stand on its own when folded.
Wow! That's great about the second base for free. What store did you get it from? We had to buy it after our showers (but I had a giftcard) and it was $70!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #851
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

Thanks for asking Maggie! I actually had to do some work! lol

Did anyone register for a second lighter stroller? Someone told me I should, and I'd like to go for the Maclaren, but I don't want to be greedy... We did register for the second level of carseat. We actually registered for 2--one for each car, but we ended up buying one ourselves since it went on clearance the day we registered and then we got a coupon too...
Old 05-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #852
FormrCastMbr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStarMom2 View Post
Hi,
It still fits in most shopping carts, but you have to make sure the ledge on the back is sitting evenly.

I thought the seat was not made for shopping carts...I have not tried to use it that way. Do you put it where the child would sit or inside? I guess I need to try...all the reviews that I saw said it was not suitable for carts. I would love it if it was doable.

I agree it is very easy to manuever (sp) and easy to fold. It also is great for tall people. (I am 5'11").
Old 05-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #853
ShootingStarMom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormrCastMbr View Post
I thought the seat was not made for shopping carts...I have not tried to use it that way. Do you put it where the child would sit or inside? I guess I need to try...all the reviews that I saw said it was not suitable for carts. I would love it if it was doable.

I agree it is very easy to manuever (sp) and easy to fold. It also is great for tall people. (I am 5'11").
Hi,
The only store we couldn't use it in for the seat part was Meijer because it was too big and tilted forward too far. Of course it's a risk to put them up their in any brand seat because it makes the cart top heavy but it does fit most of the time. I guess I would suggest trying it out at the store and if it doesn't seem to fit right just put them in the basket to be safe. I would never have thought to try it that way at the store before registering for it. I would have gotten it still because of all the other features

But I do love the seat just the same. Plus it's deeper and snaps in and out of the car with one pull. When I put the seat in the car and hear 3 clicks, I know he's in right. I agree it's great for all heights because it adjusts to straight out or super high for us tall moms. I'm 5'11" too!

Last edited by ShootingStarMom2; 05-04-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #854
Piecey
I find myself fighting with my pants
I don't have a mouse
I'm an easy-peasy kinda girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Ron View Post
Patsy, thanks I just used the code!

Ok so Smartfood is my latest craving. I could sit here and eat the whole darn bag. How about you girls...what are you craving these days?
You're welcome! Also, inside the plastic wrapped diaper sample is another $3 off coupon (but it's just for those Pure and Natural Diapers)..

Is Smartfood that white cheddar popcorn stuff? There is a girl at work who used to crave that stuff like mad.
I really haven't had any cravings. DH has been so lucky. In the back of my mind, though, I've been wanting a Blue Raspberry misty thingie from Dairy Queen. Still haven't gotten one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggimus View Post
Strollers. I have heard that strollers/car seat combo's have the heavier stroller... but most of the time the better value.

What does everyone think about strollers-- whats best, whats terrible, etc, etc!?
I HATED all the travel systems. They were too bulky and I couldn't imagine having to get it in/out of our trunk by ourselves. I had trouble steering them, too.

I LOVE my stroller. I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off to finally get one in my hands because everytime I picked one they disappeared.
So, I bought a Graco SafeSeat (which goes to 30lbs) from BRU and our stroller from Sears. We got this one:
http://kolcraft.com/jeepproduct.aspx...rand&brandID=3
and I LOVE it.
It steers SUPER easy (probably because it's just got the one wheel in the front, seems like most have 2) and of course.. it's a Jeep. I'm a Jeep girl.

Here is a picture with some of my baby shower loot in the background:

It's pretty lightweight, comes with a toy (Lucas can steer, haha) and LOTS of storage underneathe! The tires are GREAT.. they're actual rubber and inflate. When we opened the box (my mom and dad paid for it as their gift) it smelled like a new Jeep and we had to wait for my dad to come home so he could assemble it... Can't hate a stroller that has that new car smell!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
Go to the budget board and join a Photopass share. I've done it 4 times and I've never had an issue. Depending on how many people join the share, it could cost you as little as $10! Totally worth it!
Photopass shares are a thing of the past- the DIS has banned anything involving a swap in $$. The fridge swaps left are free, though, and I got in on one of those for our trip!

...did anyone else hear that Graco is going to stop making the SnugRide and ONLY start making the SnugRide 32's? A lady at BRU told me that was the case.
It's one of the main reasons I went with the SafeSeat (that and SafeSeat goes to 30lbs while SnugRide's only go to 22)...
SafeSeat's snap into SnugRide32's base, though.

Last edited by Piecey; 05-04-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #855
MelessaG
Proud Mommy of 4!
Jimmy Fallon can update my weekend!

Stroller Savings

This may or may not be helpful info. I am getting a friend's hand-me-down Maxi-Cosi car seat. (I know that seat's history completely.) They attach to the Quinny Zapp strollers which are very nice. (I've seen hers, but she still needs it for her toddler(s)-I'm actually getting one car seat from her set of triplets.) The 2008 colors are on clearance at albeebaby.com for $119 right now, down from their usual $239. The Maxi-Cosi car seats are currently $119 as well and they do make a travel system with the Quinny Zapp strollers even though they aren't sold in sets. For me, it was a great deal since I already have the car seat so I thought I would share it here too since we are talking strollers right now.

Mom to DD (12) DS (9) DD (7) DD (5) and a Bonus Baby born 08/04/2009

SOG '99, off-site '01 & '02, AKL '04, POR '05 and FW in '06!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: