Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #1651
Piecey
I find myself fighting with my pants
I don't have a mouse
I'm an easy-peasy kinda girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStarMom2 View Post

Congrats, Piecey! I'm so happy that everything went well for you in the end. I'm sure you were relieved once you heard the baby cry. You were right about Lucas being a big baby. See, your mothers intuition was working even before you had him! What a cutie. I hope you enjoy every minute of being a new mom. Congrats.
Your little boy is adorable, too!! Congrats! Two cuties in just a few days. Girls better watch out!

Thanks- I was. Who'd think a crying baby would make someone so ecstatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltfans View Post
Piecey - Your son is truly adorable! Congrats! It's not often that newborns look as perfect as him, seriously.
Thanks, that is what everyone (OB included!) has been telling us! It helps that he's got a few extra pounds on him, I'm sure! Gives him that nice cute and plump look!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi12982 View Post
Piecey - He is GORGEOUS , congrats!!
Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.. even if I am a little partial..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelessaG View Post
Congratulations Patsy! He is a gorgeous baby. Let us know about the filet mignon. (I've heard of "stork dinners" before, but they don't do them here. Or at least they didn't 5 years ago.)
Thanks.
I'll report back. I'm a little afraid but it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I think the whole idea is pretty cool!

....I got my Rhogam again today (kiddo has his daddy's blood type) in my ARM. So... no idea why I seem to be the only spared the bum ordeal!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #1652
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!

Quote:
Is anyone else going to try natural other than BoltFans?? I am planning on it. I know, maybe I am naive or whatever, but I'm so terrified of the possible side effects of the epi and I don't believe none of the drugs are passed on. . . . plus I've been reading that some people even think the rise in autism has risen equally with the rise in use of epi's. . . I don't know if there is a correlation, but I'm still going to try natural at a birth center and all. My mom totally laughs at me, doesn't think I can do it. . . Sometimes I just want to say, Thanks for the support ma, lol
I plan on trying to go natural. Now I don't really know what to expect so if things get too bad I'm all aboard for the epi. My mother had 4 children and has never had one. I like the idea of being back to normal as soon as it's over and not having to be hooked to iv's and all of that while in labor. I guess I should start looking into birthing classes and all that fun stuff.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #1653
Adi12982
DIS Veteran

New Deals at Babies R Us. . .

Here's the link to the coupons: http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/corp...APDN7-F9OIX-v1

Can't wait til we find a house so I can start buying stuff. . . I'm going to be like those of you who were about to give birth and still moving in, I'm afraid

Old 06-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #1654
Adi12982
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecey View Post

....i got my rhogam again today (kiddo has his daddy's blood type) in my arm. So... No idea why i seem to be the only spared the bum ordeal!
lucky!!!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #1655
Adi12982
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarr29 View Post
I plan on trying to go natural. Now I don't really know what to expect so if things get too bad I'm all aboard for the epi. My mother had 4 children and has never had one. I like the idea of being back to normal as soon as it's over and not having to be hooked to iv's and all of that while in labor. I guess I should start looking into birthing classes and all that fun stuff.
Well I don't know what to expect either - but I am determined. . . even though my own mom thinks I'm nuts (though she had c-sections. . . but was in labor with me for 17 hours before they did it b/c she didn't dilate past 3 cm and I was transverse anyhow).

The Maternity center I go to does free classes - you should start at 28 weeks and then go once a week for 6 weeks. They are open to the public too, so if people want to come that aren't going there they don't mind and they are free for them too. You may want to see if there is something like that where you are, because I've heard the hospital classes are crazy expensive.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #1656
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

Quote:
New Deals at Babies R Us. . .

Here's the link to the coupons: http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/corp...APDN7-F9OIX-v1

Can't wait til we find a house so I can start buying stuff. . . I'm going to be like those of you who were about to give birth and still moving in, I'm afraid
I actually got the ad in the mail! I was so excited, bc the coupons are good past the date of my last shower, so DH and I can use them for all the stuff we don't get! I don't remember the gate one being in my flyer though...I am curious whether the stuff that is on sale in the ad I got will be so through the 18th. They had 3 travel systems that were $40 off in addtion to the coupon. Of course not the one we registered for, but there is one we liked...and the $40 off makes it cheaper than the one we registered for...
Old 06-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #1657
Skylarr29

Quote:
Well I don't know what to expect either - but I am determined. . . even though my own mom thinks I'm nuts (though she had c-sections. . . but was in labor with me for 17 hours before they did it b/c she didn't dilate past 3 cm and I was transverse anyhow).

The Maternity center I go to does free classes - you should start at 28 weeks and then go once a week for 6 weeks. They are open to the public too, so if people want to come that aren't going there they don't mind and they are free for them too. You may want to see if there is something like that where you are, because I've heard the hospital classes are crazy expensive.
Wow, that's great! I'll have to look into it. Roberts parents live in Miami so it wouldn't be too far for us to go to classes and then visit with them. I feel like there is so much to do still, ahhhh!

ETA: Would you mind sharing how the costs work at this center for birthing? Do they accept insurance? I am really starting to consider looking into a more natural birth as my doctor has been a bit of a tyrant lately. I'm still scared to not be in the hospital though... I dunno, lol.

Last edited by Skylarr29; 06-05-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #1658
Adi12982
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, that's great! I'll have to look into it. Roberts parents live in Miami so it wouldn't be too far for us to go to classes and then visit with them. I feel like there is so much to do still, ahhhh!

ETA: Would you mind sharing how the costs work at this center for birthing? Do they accept insurance? I am really starting to consider looking into a more natural birth as my doctor has been a bit of a tyrant lately. I'm still scared to not be in the hospital though... I dunno, lol.
Where do you live? The maternity center is in NE Miami - far north from me, but worth it. It is not in the nicest area of Miami, but it isn't the ghetto either.

Here is the website: http://www.miamimaternitycenter.net/

They take most forms of insurance, and for people who have to pay OOP it costs $3600. My insurance covers most everything - I just have to pay $500, and they did a payment plan so I pay like 75 a month. I think you should check it out - definitely meet Sharri, she is amazing. They do tours of the place. If you need to go to the hospital there is an OB they work with, so they will still be there with you. They monitor you a bit more because you have to be ay 100% to be able to have the baby there - any indication otherwise you go to the hospital. I still have some apprehensions about not being at a hospital but Sharri has delivered over 11,000 babies and I know the classes will help to ease my concerns. Plus the hospital is only three miles away. Anyhow, the classes will help and they are free

There are four midwives working there, and loads of students. Sharri, the head midwife, actually LIVES at the Birth Center. Anyhow, I love it there, especially the treatment you get - I am VERY impressed. They take lots of time wit you at the visits. I came in a few times without an appointment just to hear the baby's heartbeat and they were totally cool about it. There are a few of the moms =-to-be that even hang out there, lol. They are all sweet. The appointments sometimes run a little bit behind (but not as bad as my regular doctor, lol), but once you get in there they take all the time you need with them, so it is all worth it to me. Let me know if you have any other questions!

OH - and I love to go on this art of the site to see the new babies born each week: http://www.miamimaternitycenter.net/...ents/Itemid,7/

Old 06-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #1659
Piecey
I don't have a mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggimus View Post
Patsy he is the cutest! Congratulations! Sorry you had to labor so long, and practically for nothing. I bet you wish you could have been cut a lot earlier and saved yourself a lot of exhaustion! The oxygen mask is a fear of mine, I must admit! And the major fear is the epidural wearing off! Yikes-- you can support me though when my time comes and let me know that you overcame all of that and Lucas is still a doll! Glad everyone is safe and healthy! What a big boy you have! Congrats, Congrats!!
The funny thing was that whenever the epidural wore off and the full blunt of the pain hit me... around the time I hyperventilated... I told my labor nurse to get my OB in there, put me under and do a c-section. She kept telling me I didn't want a c-section, I could do it, etc.. she pushed me until I gave in and said I'd try to do it naturally.
She popped in this morning to see me and went "So you still ended up with a c-section?" like she was disappointed. I almost wanted to smack her and be like "My DR made that call after an hour of pushing did NOTHING... " Stupid twit. Sorry. I'm just a bit bitter looking back...

I needed the oxygen mask, I really did. I probably would have passed out if they hadn't given it to me- the pain was just too crazy. Epidural didn't help the gallbladder pain but to add the contractions to it.. it was excruciating and I was already exhausted from everything. Everything I had was back labor- probably because of his size?... so it was all this pain concentrated in my back with the occasional bit of contraction pain in my tummy, too (that was tolerable, though!)
I didn't fight it while I was laboring but I fought the oxygen mask in the c-section. I felt like I couldn't get enough air and so they took it off for me as long as I took even breaths. Just remember that-- even, deep, breaths. Not quick ones like I did when the epidural wore off (but in my defense, I went from gallbladder pain and no contraction pain to WHAM both of them all at once.. it freaked me out and I lost it a bit... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
And question...an epidural can wear off?!!? I thought it was a continuous thing!

...My epidural experience involving it wearing off (numerous times)...
I got the epidural earlier than I really needed it. I wasn't in much pain at that point but they were hoping to head everything off, especially because of my gallbladder, so that I wouldn't get too tired too quickly from extra pain.
It took about 45 minutes to an hour before it kicked in, but like I said- I didn't really need it when they gave it to me so it wasn't a big deal. However I should have kept how long it took to work in mind whenever I could feel the contractions getting stronger later that night.
I, stupidly, assumed that they hurt more because they were getting stronger and I was getting closer. I just thought that was how it worked so I didn't say anything. Then the difference between one contraction and the other was like someone stabbing a knife in my back and my nurse told me it wore out. She called the anesthesiologist and he took 45 minutes to get there (something else to keep in mind! those people are never timely in their arrival)...
The type of epidural I had pushed so much through per hour, I didn't get to control it- a machine that resembled an IV next to my bed controlled it. Only the anesthesiologist was allowed to make the call to slow down or speed up the flow. There was a tube that hung from my shoulder (taped there) that flowed to the area where the epidural entered my spine area and that is where the hard core numbing medicine came from-- it was injected into that tube. The hard core numbing stuff is what wore off, not the stuff that flowed continuously (though that ran out later, but it beeped and they knew to replace it!) ....
So when the nurse made the call to get him there, he gave me 5cc of whatever medicine through the tube thing [for those that had epidurals, this was the stuff that feels like cold water running down your back]... A half hour later I felt worse than I had before (because the contractions were stronger and, I'm sure, because I was exhausted so the pain just seemed worse..) and the nurse called him to come back. He hadn't showed up in 25 minutes, I was crying and begging for a c-section and the nurse called him and basically threatened bodily harm if he didn't get there. I think my OB was in on it, too. He walks in and goes "Oh, you're not feeling better?" and the nurse goes "I told you before that her epidural took almost an hour to kick in this morning" and he goes "Oh, well, I only gave her half of what I normally would because I thought she was close to delivering"
I think fire could have shot through my eyes, DH's eyes, the nurse's eyes... and he hightailed it out of there and came back with lots and lots of wonderful drugs that when they kicked in were like heaven on earth.
After the first round still hadn't kicked in after 20 minutes (he waited in the room at the nurse's demand) he went and got something else. That stuff kicked in about 15 minutes later and I swear... it was magic. It was love. I no longer hated Mr. Anesthesiologist man for only giving me a half dose earlier.
So everyone is happy and all is good... I'm getting through the contractions, calming down and they let me loose the oxygen mask.

....go figure the epidural started wearing off AGAIN in the middle of prep for the c-section and I freaked myself out imagining all that pain coming back (this was when I started crying and thoroughly freaked DH out). Luckily Mr. Anesthesiologist man was still around (from the girl who had just had a c-section) and he popped in and gave me the surgical level numbing meds for the c-section early, thinking they would need longer to kick in like everything else did. They checked me before they took me in, hadn't kicked in yet. I think I frustrated this fellow.
So they decided to go ahead and take me in and start prep (taping, putting up the sheets, etc.) while waiting on it and the next time he checked me, I was ready to do.

..then the tears started again because I heard a baby cry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
Congrats Piecey!

I think there must be different ways to do the epi? I got a port that stayed in my back with all 3, and they just added meds to it.
Thanks! I did have the port-- it was connected to the IV looking thing with the continuous meds and also the catheter thing that hung off my shoulder, which is where they injected the hardcore stuff.

Quote:
Well after reading from Maggie's very helpful link, it seems that sometimes the meds will run out and then wear off. But you should be able to get more meds...? Also at a certain point a lot of drs stop the meds so you have some sensation to push.
Pretty much what happened to me exactly.. except they never stopped the meds here, they just told me when to push... which is weird, I'll admit.

Quote:
Wow...this is like the first fact that I regret ever finding out! lol But at least I can keep the whole not too early thing in my brain.
I didn't read Maggie's link but... I think every hospital has very, very different policies. When I asked when I should/could get mine (still wasn't sure yet I wanted it, until the gallbladder pain hit) she told me whenever I wanted up to 8cm. After that, they don't let you get one because there really isn't a point.
So I got mine at 4cm.. (given I had gallbladder pain, I jumped the gun a bit) but... I think it also depends on how your body responds to pain meds. Have you been put under before? Taken vicodin/percocet/ anything narcotic like that? How does it affect you? All things to think about-- and listen to your body. If it feels like they're getting stronger, even a little bit, ASK YOUR NURSE! Don't wait, like I did, thinking it was normal.. It's not a bad thing to go ahead and have them get the anesthesiologist in there to take a look at things!

Quote:
A close friend of mine wont have anymore kids (she only had one) because her epidural wore off... and she literally cannot get passed the thought of the pain she was in.... That is why you don't want to get the epidural too soon.... or too late either!
I don't know that it'll keep me from having another kid... i'll just be more vocal next time around. Well, actually, I'll probably have another c-section... as I think that is the norm, isn't it? Anyway.... just keep an eye on it. Try to "listen to your body" (only way I can think to put it!) and if it feels like the contractions are getting stronger or more painful OPEN THY MOUTH AND SAY SOMETHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfish78 View Post
Now I know to watch my epi drip closely. If that thing gets below half, I'm asking for a refill!
definitely! If you think it's starting to hurt more-- say something!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
Also keep in mind that everyone perceives pain differently. And of course Patsy had not only labor pain, but also gallbladder pain to cope with.
Exactly-- I have a very, very high tolerance for pain in general BUT contraction pains in my back, mixed with gallbladder pain, mixed with how exhausted and frustrated I was... it was too much. It's a lot of the reason that I hyperventilated so don't let my story scare anyone... my situation was quite unique and in the end, my baby was too big (which someone at some point said might be part of the reason that I had back labor so strong) to do things naturally... he wasn't going past my pubic bones and so the pushing just made the pain worse.. He wasn't going anywhere!

Quote:
Are you bf'ing? If so how is that going?
No, I had a breast reduction when I was 18 (4.5lbs taken out) and so I anticipated not being able to and just decided to bottle feed. Good thing, too, because [as i figured] no milk came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetDisney View Post
You are quite a woman! How are you feeling post c-section? Is it as bad as they say it is?
Thank you for all the super nice things you said about me and my boy!
It's not bad at all. I have to remember to hold my tummy tight when I lean forward and try to get out of this hospital bed-- it really relieves any of the pain if I hold it tight. It's so weird to not have a belly anymore!!
I'm grateful somewhat because I don't have sitz baths or those witch hazel pads other ladies on here were talking about...

Quote:
Ugh! Wow that would have been something!
She considers the induction at 39 weeks... because based off of LMP my due date was 6/9... and clearly, the ultrasound that dated him dated him bigger than that because he IS bigger than that. Just a week, but still- she's saying he's 39 weeks and 9lbs5oz! I can't imagine if she'd waited until I went into labor on my own....
Old 06-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #1660
Piecey
I don't have a mouse

Quote:
I'm afraid to go home.... I can't lift anything over 10lbs (she said she'll let me lift Lucas, though, since he'll hit 10lbs by then most likely! ) for 6 weeks!
I'm not sure how many boxes we have that weigh less than 10lbs...
Old 06-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #1661
Skylarr29

Quote:
Where do you live? The maternity center is in NE Miami - far north from me, but worth it. It is not in the nicest area of Miami, but it isn't the ghetto either.

Here is the website: http://www.miamimaternitycenter.net/

They take most forms of insurance, and for people who have to pay OOP it costs $3600. My insurance covers most everything - I just have to pay $500, and they did a payment plan so I pay like 75 a month. I think you should check it out - definitely meet Sharri, she is amazing. They do tours of the place. If you need to go to the hospital there is an OB they work with, so they will still be there with you. They monitor you a bit more because you have to be ay 100% to be able to have the baby there - any indication otherwise you go to the hospital. I still have some apprehensions about not being at a hospital but Sharri has delivered over 11,000 babies and I know the classes will help to ease my concerns. Plus the hospital is only three miles away. Anyhow, the classes will help and they are free

There are four midwives working there, and loads of students. Sharri, the head midwife, actually LIVES at the Birth Center. Anyhow, I love it there, especially the treatment you get - I am VERY impressed. They take lots of time wit you at the visits. I came in a few times without an appointment just to hear the baby's heartbeat and they were totally cool about it. There are a few of the moms =-to-be that even hang out there, lol. They are all sweet. The appointments sometimes run a little bit behind (but not as bad as my regular doctor, lol), but once you get in there they take all the time you need with them, so it is all worth it to me. Let me know if you have any other questions!

OH - and I love to go on this art of the site to see the new babies born each week: http://www.miamimaternitycenter.net/...ents/Itemid,7/
Thanks so much for all the information. We live in West Pembroke Pines but hubby said it doesn't look too far from us because we can take 95. When I look at my birth plan it fits in with the birthing centers theories (I don't want anyone touching him and taking him away from me etc.) so it might be easier to go somewhere where they believe the same things and not just 'fight' with nurses about what I want. I am paranoid about being told how to have my baby and what to do with him when it is my body and my baby. I will be having a long talk with Robert about it and we will go check out the center. At the very least I want to attend the classes and send him to the daddy boot camp - how cute!!

Thanks again.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #1662
Skylarr29

Wow, he is one big boy. I can't imagine if they had let you go to full term! I am worried that I will have a big one too!

He's so cute. It seems like you are feeling well now so that is great!

Oh, and if you are interested in breastfeeding, your milk doesn't come in for a few days, it could take up to 10 days but if you don't feed baby the colostrum and get him nursing then I'm not sure if it will. Just an FYI for you, not trying to push breastfeeding or anything

Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #1663
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piecey View Post
I didn't read Maggie's link but... I think every hospital has very, very different policies. When I asked when I should/could get mine (still wasn't sure yet I wanted it, until the gallbladder pain hit) she told me whenever I wanted up to 8cm. After that, they don't let you get one because there really isn't a point.
So I got mine at 4cm.. (given I had gallbladder pain, I jumped the gun a bit) but... I think it also depends on how your body responds to pain meds. Have you been put under before? Taken vicodin/percocet/ anything narcotic like that? How does it affect you? All things to think about-- and listen to your body. If it feels like they're getting stronger, even a little bit, ASK YOUR NURSE! Don't wait, like I did, thinking it was normal.. It's not a bad thing to go ahead and have them get the anesthesiologist in there to take a look at things!
That's my problem, I've never been on any of those drugs before. I know there are two I will stay away from, because they make my mom really sick, so it's better not to chance it. Darvacet & percocet I think?

Mom had no problems with her epi's. I need to stop thinking about this right now! lol
Old 06-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #1664
Adi12982
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks so much for all the information. We live in West Pembroke Pines but hubby said it doesn't look too far from us because we can take 95. When I look at my birth plan it fits in with the birthing centers theories (I don't want anyone touching him and taking him away from me etc.) so it might be easier to go somewhere where they believe the same things and not just 'fight' with nurses about what I want. I am paranoid about being told how to have my baby and what to do with him when it is my body and my baby. I will be having a long talk with Robert about it and we will go check out the center. At the very least I want to attend the classes and send him to the daddy boot camp - how cute!!

Thanks again.
Most people that go there seem to be from Broward County. . . I'm the weirdo that lives near the Miami Metro Zoo and goes all the way up there, lol! We take 95 up, and the BC is close to the exit - park in the back though, it is easier that way.

Definitely make an appointment (I called on a Thursday and made mine for the following Monday) to get a tour and make sure Shari will be on that day and meet her - she sat with us for over an hour before we were clients and discussed all of our concerns and such with us, she is really great.

There are two main reasons I decided to go to the MMC before I even got pregnant. #1 is that I am overweight and in FL the c-section rate is about 80% for overweight women, women at their normal weights are not that much lower - FL is crazy in terms of c-section rates. I don't have a problem having one if it is medically needed - but I don't want it to be the first course of action just because you get paid more or it fits your schedule better. . . . #2 is that I am TOTALLY traumatized after seeing my cousin have her baby at South Miami in December (it is now owned by Baptist, and located right of US1 and Sunset Dr.). Anyhow - they took the baby from her for FOUR hours and the baby SCREAMED the whole time she was away from her mom - no one touched her or held her or anything the whole time she was in the nursery except when doing on of their checks. The child was bright red and I stood at the window practically crying the whole four hours - I DO NOT want that - I never want that baby to leave my sight, I don't want people to force me to supplement with formula, etc. Like you said, it is my body and my baby! I think there is a birthing center attached to a hospital in Broward. . . or close to one. . . but Shari is the Midwifery Queen!

OH YEA - I forgot to mention Daddy Boot Camp - Dennis went two weeks ago (they say the sooner the better) - anyhow he came home a different man - so well informed!! It was incredible - he now knows how to swaddle and so many things he never knew, I was impressed. . . I'm Shari's #1 fan, lol!!

Post here or PM me if you have any other questions!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #1665
harleyquinn

So my shower is tomorrow. This is the one that SIL is throwing. I feel kind of weird about it, because her boyfriends grandma passed away on Monday. The shower is at his brother's house (he is my SIL's best friend's DH) and of course, he'll be there too. They already had the funeral and everything, but it's just bad timing! I know i wouldn't want a bunch of near strangers at my house a few days after something like that!

I can't wait to fill Lily's dressers up with clothes and stuff! lol Right now they are really empty! I did take pictures, but I don't think they came out all that well...the room is so small and the color just doesn't show well with pics...but I will post! DH is still planning to do a mural above the crib, so hopefully that works out. He's an awesome artist, but the cartoony stuff isn't always his strength--though his sketches look really great. And I got vinyl lettering that says "All you need is Faith, Trust and a little bit of Pixie Dust."
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: