Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

How would you paint this? Need creative ideas.

I am so horrible at decorating!

Anyway, I saw an idea in a home decorating book to take a portion of a wall and paint it in chalkboard paint, then draw some pictures in chalk and change them once in a while. I liked it!

My husband put up a plain wood slab door to our basement, and the door is right between our kitchen and entryway. I thought about painting the whole door with the chalkboard paint, but then DH wanted me to just square off a section to do with the chalkboard paint. I'd paint the rest of the door in a neutral, maybe white, and then draw a color frame around the chalkboard paint.

Do you think that would look stupid? How would you do it?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Is it a flat door? or a panelled door?
I think it would be hard to pull off on the door. And chalk makes me crazy- some weird texture issue of mine I start sneezing around it. (wacky I know)

Since you said slab door I am assuming it's one of those plain flat ones. I think that would work then. Personally I would be writing on it vs. drawing. Like poems or quotes. I also think I would paint the whole door with the chalkboard paint(You know you can tint it- I think by just adding paint so you can lighten it up and blend in with your decor- so it won't have to be black. )
java is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I'm a big pie freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Is it a flat door? or a panelled door?
I think it would be hard to pull off on the door. And chalk makes me crazy- some weird texture issue of mine I start sneezing around it. (wacky I know)

Since you said slab door I am assuming it's one of those plain flat ones. I think that would work then. Personally I would be writing on it vs. drawing. Like poems or quotes. I also think I would paint the whole door with the chalkboard paint(You know you can tint it- I think by just adding paint so you can lighten it up and blend in with your decor- so it won't have to be black. )
Yes, I liked the idea of words myself. Like you said, doing poems or quotes. I was going to do that in my entryway when I redo it -- put words around the room.

I didn't know you could tint it! That would be nice, to make it a slate gray or something. My kitchen is green for now, but I plan on changing that.

ETA: Yes, it's completely flat.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
RNMOM
BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL

I think it could work if you would like to try it. I would ask, however, if you change your mind how difficult is it to remove this paint or to cover it over? You know like priming and paint or would you have to use a special remover or something? I don't have experience with this product but if my kids were little I would be tempted to use it in their rooms.

Honestly, it is your home and you should do what you wish.

Edited to add...I think this door thing would be a great idea for your family entry door..garage entry or where every they all come through. You could put notes and instructions for individuals. Reminders about events and even the dinner menu. I would love that.
RNMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
GlendaO
DIS Veteran

I did this on the closet door in my DDs play room. It's a flat door and the whole door was first painted with magnetic paint. Then, I did a layer of a complementary color and topped it with a section of chalkboard paint. The chalkboard is a large square and I painted a 'frame' around it.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
nuttylawprofessor
Green is edgyWhat kinds of goodies have people found so far?
I keep my mickey hidden

My son's pirate room has a wave-shaped chalkboard running the entire length of the room. You can get the chalkboard paint in many different colors -- at least a dozen different ones that I remember.

Instead of painting a frame, I would use pre-finished wall trim and corners to make out a frame. It will give the door more dimmesion. We used a piece of trim at the bottom of our wave as a chalk rail.

As far as changing the paint later, it's more about the color you choose and not the actual paint. The darker the color, the more paint you need to cover it later.

Follow the directions carefully, especially regarding seasoning the chalkboard once the paint is dry!
nuttylawprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
allison443
DIS Veteran

I like your idea! We actually have a chalkboard in our kitchen, the kids like to leave messages, write greetings, good luck on a test, etc.

I would buy a wooden picture frame in the size you want your chalkboard to be. Remove the glass and backing from the frame then attach the frame to the door with nails or even wood glue. Paint the area inside the frame with chalkboard paint. If the frame is thick enough, it would even give you a ledge for the chalk.
I guess you could apply molding strips, but the frame has corners already mitered, etc.

Good luck with your project!
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:11 AM   #8
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I'm a big pie freak

Ooh, I like the idea of using an actual frame! What a nice idea! When I brought up to my husband that I'd like a bigger area to do, though, he suggested just doing the top half... I don't know. I just see some possibilities.

Glenda, could you possibly take a picture of that? It sounds really cool. I didn't realize there were other colors. I just found the black at Walmart, so I'll have to go to an actual paint store to see what they've got.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:06 AM   #9
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Here's just one pretinted type
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=168

and "Martha" says to just

Custom Colors How-To
Start with flat-finish latex paint in any shade. For small areas, such as a door panel, mix 1 cup at a time.

1. Pour 1 cup of paint into a container. Add 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout. Mix with a paint stirrer, carefully breaking up clumps.

2. Apply paint with a roller or a sponge paintbrush to a primed or painted surface. Work in small sections, going over the same spot several times to ensure full, even coverage. Let dry.

3. Smooth area with 150-grit sandpaper, and wipe off dust.

4. To condition: Rub the side of a piece of chalk over entire surface. Wipe away residue with a barely damp sponge.
java is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: