Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #16
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

to you, Jessi. I would call the doctor's office first thing tomorrow and ask to speak with the doctor and get the info from him and get your questions answered. You don't want this hanging over your head all week-end.

I personally don't worry about anything when the nurse speaks to me because I know with my doctor it is serious he is the one to do the talking. Elevated can mean a lot of things, in other words, it might be elevated but only by a small percentage.

I know that it is hard and you have lots going on in your life but try to stay positive!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #17
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse
I went "wow, that hurt"

Thanks. I got off the phone with my mom (a microbiologist at a hospital) and I feel a lot better. Other than the occasional diarrhea, I don't have any of the other "classic" symptoms- I didn't even know they were testing that!

At this point I'm confused and a little irritated with the office. I had my physical last Monday. No blood tests were ordered. The next day is when I saw the GI doc and had to do a blood and stool test. My GP called me on Monday of this week sayng the stool test and the Inflammatory Bowel Disease tests were all negative. (IBD were the blood tests done).

Then I get the call today. It took me 10 minutes to get her to tell me that my serotonin level was slightly elevated, I need to do a 24 hour urine test, and the IBD test hasn't come back yet. Do you see why I am confused? One office (not the one that ordered it) called me and told me everything was back and fine. The other office calls me and tells me one test is abnormal and the others aren't even back yet. So how did my GP have the results of the other tests? I'm starting to wonder if there was some kind of lab error or if they are giving me somebody else's results.

I am calling them tomorrow to see if I can sort things out. I am also going to try to talk to somebody who can give me a straight answer (something I was unable to get out of this woman. She wouldn't shut up but she never gave me any real information. That takes talent.) My mom told me that she has heard that the staff at that one office is really bad. So right now I'm not scared so much as I am irritated because there is something really screwy going on here.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #18
jennz
DIS Veteran

How frustrating for you!! I'm glad you're calling tomorrow to get some answers. These are tests on YOUR body that YOU paid for - they owe you an explanation and it makes me angry that you have to go to such lengths to get one.

Did your thyroid test come back in the normal range?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
lisah0711
her Disney office

Well, that sounds better but ITA that it wasn't handled well. The people who work in doctor's offices are people, too, and they make mistakes just like everyone else does but you're the one stuck on the roller coaster.

I always get copies of my tests so I can actually read them myself. Lots of times I have no idea what they say, but I can tell that it was me that was tested, and read how the result is compared to normal, if it is a blood test. It's helpful to have your own copies if you get another opinion, too.

As you know, no one knows your body as well as you do and you have to be your own advocate. I will send some to you that they figure out what is going on and let you get on with your life!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
jennz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Well, that sounds better but ITA that it wasn't handled well. The people who work in doctor's offices are people, too, and they make mistakes just like everyone else does but you're the one stuck on the roller coaster.
Just had to add that is so true. And to them, they see it every day and are used to it, but to us it's all new and unknown!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #21
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I went "wow, that hurt"

The thyroid tests have been okay since day 1. I wore a CGMS (continuous glucose monitoring system) and redid the oral glucose tolerance test, at this point they are still calling it prediabetes and still focusing on diet and exercise.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #22
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I went "wow, that hurt"

I dropped off the other test yesterday and went to the family doctor's office and the GI's office to figure out what the deal is. The family doctor gave me a printout of what they had. When they had called they had the results of the serotonin test and obviously didn't think it was elevated enough to be a problem, which makes me feel better.

When I went up to the GI doc's office I told them why I was there and they told me to have a seat. After about 10 minutes the nurse called me back. She knew why I was there, but took me to a room where she didn't have access to the test results and wouldn't look at my printout. She then went to her office to look at the results and said the doctor was in there and she needed to talk to him so it would be at least half an hour. I hadn't had lunch so I told her I would come back.

I went to lunch and she called me asking if we could do this over the phone. It turns out they did have the results of the IBD panel but the doctor had never seen it. They would not have the results of the test I just did for a few days because it gets sent out. I asked her if she could tell me what the first test meant and she said she didn't know anything about it. I told her what I had read and asked her if the doctor indicated how serious it was. She didn't know. Fair enough. She kept trying to make an appointment, but then would back up saying that he wanted the results of the other test first and she didn't know when they would be in. I told her it was fine, I would wait. She kept cutting me off so I couldn't ask a question. I think I said thank you about ten million times trying to get off the phone. The doctor is really good, but I'm not sure I like dealing with his office.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #23
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I went "wow, that hurt"

I finally called today because it has been a week since the last test and I have been on pins and needles the whole damn time. The test did come back (they didn't tell me when) and it was fine. Thank God! My file is on the doc's desk and once he reviews it he is going to call me to discuss the next step. Right now it's looking like endoscopy. I think they are thinking Celiac or IBS.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #24
lisah0711
her Disney office

Glad to hear that your test results came back fine. Here's some more for you that they figure out what is going on soon so you can feel better.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #25
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Glad to hear that your test results came back fine. Here's some more for you that they figure out what is going on soon so you can feel better.
Agreed

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #26
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I went "wow, that hurt"

I got a call from the doctor's office. I go in on the 23 for an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy. I'm a little worried because she was asking me questions that I felt she should already have the answers to. At one point she said, "You don't have diabetes, right?" Um.... I told her that I have "prediabetes" but have super wacky readings, somethign that already should have been in my chart. She was also under the impression that I had had carpal tunnel surgery. I have even had carpal tunnel! (Yes, I had tendinitis in my wrists off and on as I play violin, percussion, and piano, so I can see why she thought I had carpal tunnel, but now why she thought I had surgery.)

At least she asked the questions instead of just assuming, but it kind of scares me that they have that kind of misinformation when my chart is right in front of them.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #27
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I went "wow, that hurt"

Tonight has been horrible. We were out of town all weekend because I had Wish Granter training for Make A Wish and then yesterday we were in Kansas for my Great Uncle's 95th birthday. I was feeling fine, but noticed on my way back to Kirksville my back started hurting.

Sometimes when I have stomach issues- particularly around the time of my period- that I'll get cramps in my back instead of my stomach. The lower right quadrant of my back hurt like the dickens. I was supposed to go hang out with a friend tonight but I ended up cancelling on her. I tried taking a hot bath and taking a nap, neither helped. I did have to go to Wal Mart to get a few things. By that time both my back and my stomach were cramping to the point I wasn't able to really stand up straight. I'm supposed to be packing, but movement just kills me right now. I know it's related to my stomach issues, but I'm just really frustrated by it. Between that and the fatigue, I have gotten nothing done and I'm really starting to run out of time. I just wish I knew exactly what this was so I could start treating it and maybe get some freaking relief.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #28
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I went "wow, that hurt"

Well, I had the stupid colonoscopy/endoscopy on Tuesday. Today I get a call from the office of incompetence. I was on the phone with AT&T when they called and recognized the number, so I called them back when I got off. I spent about 5 minutes with the nurse asking me why I didn't understand the voicemail. A voicemail I never got. She couldn't let it go. Turns out the voicemail was instructing me to call them. Um, isn't that what I just did? Can you see why I am frustrated with this office?

I finally got her to tell me why she called. The colonoscopy was clean. The endocopy showed signs of reflux. They also did biopsies of the stomach/intesting. Apparently my stomach biopsy shows irritation and my small intesting shows signs of inflammation. I have no idea what this means. She told me that there was no need for medication now (good, I'd rather not take any) but there was no info on how to stop the problems I've been having. She told me that he wanted me to make a follow up appointment with the doctor in my area.

So... I end up on hold with my insurance for half an hour trying to find a doctor. (I don't have internet at my new house yet, AT&T is very confused about my account). I find out they don't cover anybody within a 50 mile radius of Kansas City. So I had to call back the doctor's office to try to get an appointment with the doctor I've been seeing in my parents' hometown (I can't wait until my job insurance kicks in). I go back to see him on July 14. So I have answers as to what's going on inside my body, but no answers as to why or how to manage it in the meantime.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #29
DisMomme
Waiting to go to my WDW home again...

Just wanted to say you're in my prayers.

Also wanted to add that the thyroid blood tests don't always show the whole picture. Have you had an ultrasound done? My tests always came back normal and I was complaining of exhaustion, memory loss, depression, poor sex drive and anxiety (shakey). All my labs came back normal. Fast forward 1 1/2 years, yes long process, and same symptoms. DR sent me for an ultrasound. Low and behold I had nodules that the fine needle biopsies came back inconclusive for. Had 1/2 thyroid removed and felt wonderful for about 4 months. I guess after that I became Hypo thyroid. I'm now on a maintenance dose of synthroid, too early to tell if it's enough or working. Sorry to ramble, just wanted you to know that it could still be thyroid. Be vigilant, keep after the doctors and if you don;t feel comfortable with them go to someone else. I'll pray that you get the answers you need to help you feel better.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:38 AM   #30
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I went "wow, that hurt"

Things have continued to be crappy for me. The medicine they gave me just makes me tired, it doesn't seem to help at all. My current insurance will not cover anybody within 50 miles of here and my new insurance does not kick in until October. This means I have to miss teaching one day so I can drive to a doctor because I want to try to find some kind of relief. What was the point of all the tests if they don't lead to anything? This time I will see a new doctor.

I had to refill my prescription for test strips and the pharmacy halved my prescription. I don't know why, but the doctor won't fix it, they are convinced i only need to test one time a day. I'm frustrated because I had to cancel my appointment with my diabetes doctor and will not be able to see him, so I have to wait until October to get the lab work done that was supposed to be done this month and to get my script straightened out.

I also got an e-mail today that was very hard to read. It needed to be said, but I feel really bad about what happened. It was completely my fault, but I was called out in a public way. I apologized, but now I feel terrible for what happened. I truly hate myself sometimes. Sorry for rambling, it's just been stressful and sometimes it feels very lonely and like nobody really cares. It's hard living in a new place with very few friends and no family close by. I've almost gotten to the point with the testing issue that I feel like if the doctors don't care, why on earth should I? I know that's a dangerous line of thought, but sometimes not caring seems a whole lot easier. I know I would pay for it in the long run though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: