Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #796
Zeora
Earning My Ears

This really is such an awesome thread. I've spent hours reading though the entire thing.

I'm glad to note that (many, at least) CMs enjoy talking with guests, since that was actually one of my favorite parts of the last trip. I started to get worried that I might get some of them in trouble by talking too much with them though - at Mitsukoshi in Epcot, all of them wanted to talk to me about Japan for ages after word spread that I'd been there and knew even a little bit of the language. It was great, and I really loved hearing about where they were from and watching their faces light up when I knew city names and such, but I worried that the boss would come in and be all "um, you really do need to help other people you know." Luckily it was the off-season and so the store really wasn't full or anything, but I still worried!

I really do love all the cultural stuff though so that was honestly one of my favorite parts of the trip, better than almost any ride. After all, rides are (mostly) always the same, right? A good conversation with someone is different every time.

(But don't worry Space Mountain, I still love you too!)

And thanks for all the tips, everyone! I wish I'd known about this board the first time I went, but I'm definitely going to put all this information to good use for the next trip.
Zeora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #797
Princess Steph
Mouseketeer

to TallandGoofy

Thank you for giving me one of MY most magical memories. I went to WDW for the first time as a teenager, so meeting the characters was not too high up on the list. I wanted to ride all the big rides. We went back again with my first child. It was 2003 and my 2yo DS was visiting with Beast. He was not afraid at all and loved to look at his big clawed feet. Other children would peek in the room and then walk out too scared, but not my son. Beast had me pick him up to show him the rose and to hug him. Beast then had a CM give DS a Tigger pin that still hangs from a ribbon in his room. I saw WDW through the eyes of a 2 year old that day, pure magic!
Princess Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #798
Mrs.Toad
The poster formerly known as AnaheimGirl
A frequent eye-roller and one who has also, um, danced in a cage
Likes to catch the early edition of Poo Watch in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Steph View Post
Thank you for giving me one of MY most magical memories. I went to WDW for the first time as a teenager, so meeting the characters was not too high up on the list. I wanted to ride all the big rides. We went back again with my first child. It was 2003 and my 2yo DS was visiting with Beast. He was not afraid at all and loved to look at his big clawed feet. Other children would peek in the room and then walk out too scared, but not my son. Beast had me pick him up to show him the rose and to hug him. Beast then had a CM give DS a Tigger pin that still hangs from a ribbon in his room. I saw WDW through the eyes of a 2 year old that day, pure magic!
Aw, this reminds me of my dd meeting Jack Sparrow when she was about 4. It was at DL, on the raft to Tom Sawyer's Island. Most of the other kids hung back, looking at him but scared to go talk to him, but dd talked to him for most of the ride over, took pictures with him, got his autograph. He was so sweet to her, calling her princess, telling her which princess was his favorite (Jasmine), but still completely in character. It was so much fun to watch.
Mrs.Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #799
Julie521
DIS Veteran

bump

Julie521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #800
Pikezh638
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiesmom0116 View Post
We had a nice family buy our meal for us w/ left over TS credits once, so we decided to do the same when on that trip we then had 3 left over meals. We do this with any left overs we have. We are on the deluxe dining and always have 1 or 2 left overs. It really suprises people- it is spreading a little pixie dust yourself!
My parents tried to do that once and the cashier wouldn't let them. Because technically the person has to be in your room/on your plan to be allowed to use the plan.

2010 (July) Pop Century (December) Pop Century
2011 (October) All Star Sports (December) Carribbean Beach
2012 (January) All Star Sports (May) Pop Century
2013 (January) Saratoga Springs Treehouse (October) Saratoga Springs (October) Port Orleans-Riverside
2014 (January) Fantasy Cruise (January) Art of Animation (January) Pop Century
2015 (May) Magic Cruise
Pikezh638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #801
StitchSpawn
Florida Mouseketeer

sub
StitchSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #802
StitchSpawn
Florida Mouseketeer

Thank you 2 these two CMs

This is SWW and these to CMs were very helpful with my video I made about the merchandise, as far as giving and finding me info...&

The Hostesses and Waitress at Tony's in Mk. They let me get a togo order when I guess your "technically" not allowed to order food to go at a table service retaurant...but they let me because it was one meal...and they cooked me sweet potato fries, where were not "technically" on the menu that day, but stashed in the freezer in the "basement".

I love you...

Last edited by StitchSpawn; 08-09-2011 at 08:32 PM.
StitchSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:58 AM   #803
mrcarder
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapandpam View Post
We usually wind up with a few extra fastpasses. I love the reaction you get when you offer them to someone who is about to enter a long standby line. Spreading the pixie dust is a great way to end the day.
We've had the chance to do this a few times...on our kids first trip we were totally on their schedule and had to leave HS a little early - not able to use our TSMM passes. One of those fun little memories was passing them off to a dad and his boys who were thrilled to get them (they had hopped and otherwise may not have been able to ride it).
mrcarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #804
mrcarder
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithstars View Post
We've always found this to be true for rides but the projected wait time told to us by a CM def. wasn't correct. We got in line for Tinkerbell and asked if the wait time (of 60 min.) was accurate. The CM said it would probably be more like 45 minutes. We ended up waiting almost two hours.
We usually go fall, off-season and this happens to us all the time. We know it's usually green CMs that just don't know any better, but they have to say something. Though I'm convinced that the CMs running Jungle Cruise on one particular evening last year knew exactly what they were doing when they maintained a 10min wait sign, pointing us all in for a short wait, that turned into a miserable hour long trap.
mrcarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #805
utkscvol1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyMarigold View Post
If an attraction has multiple lines, always get in the one on the left.

If you need to know about something that's happening unexpectedly (like a ride broke down and you're wondering if it's open again yet), ask a custodian. (Or a manager--the people in suits and nametags.) Both groups have radios.

Let yourselves and *especially* your kids relax and smell the roses. Seriously. Don't be commando.

Never assume a line is "too long" until you ask the greeter CM or look at the ride board. Many rides/shows hold a bajillion people at once. I used to have a lot of people walk away from my attraction because the line was "too long" even though I knew it was only 15 minutes. (Which reminds me--the estimate the CM will give you is almost always high.)

Break your shoes in thoroughly and carry Band-Aids.

Best way to get a thrill out of Splash Mountain is to look straight out in front of you (not down) as you start to go down the flume.
Ok, I have to ask, why always the left line? Curious minds want to know.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #806
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikezh638 View Post
My parents tried to do that once and the cashier wouldn't let them. Because technically the person has to be in your room/on your plan to be allowed to use the plan.
Think it just depends on the CM, really. We did this for a family at Via Napoli. Worst case scenario.. you can ask the family about it.... order it, and have it delivered to your table, then give it to the family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by utkscvol1 View Post
Think it's just that most people instinctively go right? There are some posts on a few threads about it..
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #807
mom2cookies
DIS Veteran

Originally Posted by dogodisney
Sounds like my DH. Whenever we go on a trip I try to plan a budget and be frugal because my DH is always complaining about the money. Once we get to our destination, he's usually the one that is more willing to spend money.

OMG! Are we married to the same man? LOL Last trip my DD wanted pink minnie crocs, and I wouldnt buy them, the second morning we're there, DH goes down to get coffee, and what does he return with? Yup, pink minnie crocs! LOL

Boy this guy's really getting around bc i'm married to him TOO!!!!! rofl

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world
- Unknown

VMK friends are forever in my heart. Vive' la VMK
mom2cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #808
Cest_la_vie
Mouseketeer

Remember that there will always be another boat/bus/monorail. Running up waving your hands or climbing over gates won't make us let you on, it'll just make us cross and have to yell at you. But that's not to say don't walk quickly.

If you have a question about something, no matter how inane you might think it is, ask. It's what CMs are there for, to make your stay pleasant. It goes along with talking, our jobs a lot of the time do get repetitive so that nice conversation with a woman about how every part of the country is different can completely change our day.
Cest_la_vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #809
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkscvol1 View Post
It's human nature (or societal bias! ) to go to the right. Ever notice that EVERY grocery store you enter the flow goes to the right? Same thing. If you want to see less crowds in MK, go to the left when you enter. It works.

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV F&W | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV

MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek - BCV-Oct13 (TR In Progress)
Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey - Aulani-Sep12
Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? | BLT/VWL; May2012-Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
AKV/BWV; Nov/Dec2010; No Kids; Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
OKW; May2010; DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #810
Pikezh638
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbus View Post
I'm not allowed to talk to guests and guests are not supposed to talk to me while I'm working. Yes, I do enjoy talking to guests. I don't consider it working. No, I don't want them to leave me alone. And in my case, I'm trapped with a max. of about 70 guests at a time for up to 30 minutes.
I have had a few drivers talks with us the whole way. We had one talk from Pop Century all the way to Downtown Disney. The guy was amazing, and I loved hearing all the things he knew. Best bus driver ever..

2010 (July) Pop Century (December) Pop Century
2011 (October) All Star Sports (December) Carribbean Beach
2012 (January) All Star Sports (May) Pop Century
2013 (January) Saratoga Springs Treehouse (October) Saratoga Springs (October) Port Orleans-Riverside
2014 (January) Fantasy Cruise (January) Art of Animation (January) Pop Century
2015 (May) Magic Cruise
Pikezh638 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: