Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #346
TammyIsBlessed
Earning My Ears

These have been excellent tips! Keep em coming
TammyIsBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #347
Catira
DIS Veteran

Not sure if this has been posted..

While on vacation we need to remind ourselves to go with the flow. Maybe you love to plan your vacation (I know I do) but with mother nature we never know what's going to happen. I remember our last Christmas trip at Disney, it was in the 30's when we got to the park on Christmas Day at Epcot. Well, to top it off it started to drizzle quite a bit. We put on our raincoats, and tried to keep an upbeat attitude. I think my family and I used that excuse to stop at every country and try something at the restaurants.

Also, I read on previous posts, to have someone save your spots while someone else gets everyone a snack. Right before Illuminations we always get there early to get a bench and go to France for desserts and coffee. I left my husband with my son saving our spots as my daughter and I went to get our food. When, I got back, people were actually sitting on the bench where we were suppossed to sit. They paid no attention to my husband, when he told them my daughter and I were coming back. We just tried to enjoy ourselves as best as possible, and not let rude people "rain on our parade".

As others have stated give your Fastpasses to others if you don't need them. People are so suprised when you do this. Also, if your leaving early, why not give your stroller do someone who's just getting there.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #348
Pixieflip
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe In Magic View Post
What a nice thing to do for a complete stranger, and you probably them feel so good. I would be shocked beyond if someone did this for my kids and I and I know it would make a wonderful impression on them, and me of course. I will do this from now on, it is a great example to set for our children. GREAT tip!!
My mom and I were in line at Columbia Harbor House on our last day and overheard the family in line behind us. They were reading the menu and prices and calculating what it would be and if they had enough cash and maybe they should just put dinner on the credit card, it was their last day,etc. The kids were so cute and polite and had no idea what it was costing the parents. Anyway, we decided to use our combined 4 leftover CS to pay for theirs. They had no idea we heard them and we just said we didn't want them to go to waste. The mom was nearly in tears. A few minutes later the CM came over to our table and presented us with a couple of special pins and a magical moments certificate for being so kind. Our kids will never forget that moment of sharing with others, that's for sure.

1991 OP, 1994 POFQ, 1996 AS, 1998 POR/CBR, 2000 Disney Institute/OKW, 2001 ASMu/ASMo, 2002 WLV/OKW, 2003 POFQ, 2005 DCL, 2005 OP, 2007 BCV, 2010 AKV, 2010 OKW, 2010 SSR, 2011 OKW, 2012 BC, 2012 OKW...
Pixieflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #349
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixieflip View Post
My mom and I were in line at Columbia Harbor House on our last day and overheard the family in line behind us. They were reading the menu and prices and calculating what it would be and if they had enough cash and maybe they should just put dinner on the credit card, it was their last day,etc. The kids were so cute and polite and had no idea what it was costing the parents. Anyway, we decided to use our combined 4 leftover CS to pay for theirs. They had no idea we heard them and we just said we didn't want them to go to waste. The mom was nearly in tears. A few minutes later the CM came over to our table and presented us with a couple of special pins and a magical moments certificate for being so kind. Our kids will never forget that moment of sharing with others, that's for sure.
One of the many things I love about Disney is the social aspect of it, the way it inspires people to do little things to help eachother. Also, I am not a very social person in the real world, but at Disney, I find myself striking up conversations with everyone. I mean, at the supermarket or the mall, what do I have in common with those around me? I don't even know. But at Disney, there is usually one easy topic of conversion, everyone is there because of a love of the parks. You can talk to people from all walks of life.

This leads to another tip...if you have little kids especially, bring things to entertain them while in line. My DW bought some rubber Halloween finger puppets for our first trip with DD in 2006. On the flight down, there was a little girl in the seat in front of us...I entertained her for hours with those finger puppets. We didn't use them much in the parks because we hardly waited in line, but it was great.

SkierPete

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #350
RIJim
Mouseketeer

I've enjoyed this thread, it started out with some interesting park tips to apply to our trips and some little conveniences we can use and has now evolved into two main lessons: take your time and enjoy yourself and be kind to others around you.
If only the entire world would embrace these two lessons we'd all be in a much better place
RIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #351
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJim View Post
I've enjoyed this thread, it started out with some interesting park tips to apply to our trips and some little conveniences we can use and has now evolved into two main lessons: take your time and enjoy yourself and be kind to others around you.
If only the entire world would embrace these two lessons we'd all be in a much better place
Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #352
ineedmyblankie
Mouseketeer

I've really enjoyed reading this thread also. Thanks so much for all the wonderful tips!

As for child safety, we are making a little badge for my daughter to wear. We have printed a little card (on regular paper) a picture of her with her name. Just below, there are individual pictures of my husband and myself w/ our names and cell phone numbers. (Thanks to a friend who took a few minutes to put the pics together for us!) After I cut them out, I am going to laminate it. Then we will pop it into one of the badge holders w/ a cord so she can wear it like a necklace. That way, if we get separated, she can show a CM the card. Or, if someone else finds her, they can call the number. I like that it has our pics so that no one else would be able to claim her...not that it would happen at the most magical place on earth though.

Here is a thread from which we got the idea:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2120861

1998 & 2002 - Caribbean Beach 2009 - Pop Century 2012 - Old Key West 2014 - Bonnet Creek
ineedmyblankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #353
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
to steal from someone else: "everything I ever needed to know about life, I learned in Disney World"
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #354
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Amen.

We've always said Disney was the great equalizer. You see people from so many different walks of life. People who have saved for years for that one special trip and people who can do it on a whim. And they all can be walking down Main Street at the same time grinning. It's a nice feeling to know that deep down, we're really all the same, we really just want to be kids again
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #355
ChocoKat
Is there a 12 step program for Disney Addicts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Amen.

We've always said Disney was the great equalizer. You see people from so many different walks of life. People who have saved for years for that one special trip and people who can do it on a whim. And they all can be walking down Main Street at the same time grinning. It's a nice feeling to know that deep down, we're really all the same, we really just want to be kids again
I agree.

Last week we were standing beside a family enjoying wishes, the adults said they had always dreamed of going to Disney World as kids, and now they could finally give that to their children. The kids were all asleep on their strollers by then so they had a breather to enjoy the show.

I have watched Wishes soooo many times I know all the words, the timing, etc so I just stopped looking at the fireworks for a bit and watched the adults turn right back into small children with their faces filled with joy and wonder and it was wonderful.

It made me misty eyed, I really love that kind of magic.
ChocoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #356
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

So true

onelilspark and chocokat, that is the true magic of Disney World. People of like hearts, even they may differ in many other ways, gather together, all for the love of THE Mouse!

I grew up watching Walt on TV and remember him showing his idea of building DW. It was a dream to me as well as there was no way I could ever think I would be able to go to such a place. I have never taken it for granted that I am able to go, each and every time.

Slightly Goofy

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
SlightlyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #357
Buzz Litebeer
Not a Flying Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyGoofy View Post
onelilspark and chocokat, that is the true magic of Disney World. People of like hearts, even they may differ in many other ways, gather together, all for the love of THE Mouse!
Pfeh. I always went for the love of the Haunted Mansion.
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice and should not, if ever, be taken seriously by anyone.
Buzz Litebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #358
ChocoKat
Is there a 12 step program for Disney Addicts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Litebeer View Post
Pfeh. I always went for the love of the Haunted Mansion.
ChocoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #359
derrickmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixieflip View Post
AWESOME story!! Brought tears to my eyes!!!

1990 off site
2009 POP 3/4 deal~June
2010 November POP free dining Thanksgiving
2011 November POP free dining Thanksgiving

April 2012 off site
November 2012 Thanksgiving POP free dining
November 2013 Thanksgiving POP free dining
July Coronado Springs Nationals Dance Competition

Me,Hubbie,daughter
BLUE the dog
derrickmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #360
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

Cobwebs

Buzz Litebeer, you and I shall have to share seating sometime. I am seriously warped also, although I am more pixie dust than cobwebs.

Pixieflip, great story. I have done likewise. I think it is more magical to give those moments than to receive. When you give it is often multiplied as it makes others want to be nice also. You warmed the hearts of the family, the CM's who saw it all unfold, and yourself. I would like to share some seating with you also. While seriously warped I have a nice side, and sometimes show it.

The people, CM's and Guests, who make Disney World the special place it is. Cutbacks or whatever that spirit will survive!

Slightly Goofy

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
SlightlyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: